PDA

View Full Version : Grave of "gay caveman" found

Eldritch
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
First homosexual caveman found

Archaeologists have unearthed the 5,000-year-old remains of what they believe may have been the world's oldest known gay caveman.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/06/article-1374060-0B81BCAD00000578-340_634x520.jpg

The male body – said to date back to between 2900-2500BC – was discovered buried in a way normally reserved only for women of the Corded Ware culture in the Copper Age.

The skeleton was found in a Prague suburb in the Czech Republic with its head pointing eastwards and surrounded by domestic jugs, rituals only previously seen in female graves.

"From history and ethnology, we know that people from this period took funeral rites very seriously so it is highly unlikely that this positioning was a mistake," said lead archaeologist Kamila Remisova Vesinova.

"Far more likely is that he was a man with a different sexual orientation, homosexual or transsexual," she added.

According to Corded Ware culture which began in the late Stone Age and culminated in the Bronze Age, men were traditionally buried lying on their right side with their heads pointing towards the west, and women on their left sides with their heads pointing towards the east. Both sexes would be put into a crouching position.

The men would be buried alongside weapons, hammers and flint knives as well as several portions of food and drink to accompany them to the other side.

Women would be buried with necklaces made from teeth, pets, and copper earrings, as well as jugs and an egg-shaped pot placed near the feet.

"What we see here doesn't add up to traditional Corded Ware cultural norms. The grave in Terronska Street in Prague 6 is interred on its left side with the head facing the West. An oval, egg-shaped container usually associated with female burials was also found at the feet of the skeleton. None of the objects that usually accompany male burials  such as weapons, stone battle axes and flint knives were found in the grave.

"We believe this is one of the earliest cases of what could be described as a 'transsexual' or 'third gender grave' in the Czech Republic," archaeologist Katerina Semradova told a press conference on Tuesday.

She said that archeologists had uncovered an earlier case dating from the Mesolithic period where a female warrior was buried as a man.

She added that Siberian shamans, or latter-day witch doctors, were also buried in this way but with richer funeral accessories to appropriate to their elevated position in society.

"But this later discovery was neither of those, leading us to believe the man was probably homosexual or transsexual," Semeradova said.

The Corded Ware culture takes its name from the frequent use of decorative cord impressions found its pots and covered much of North, Central and Eastern Europe.

It is also known as a single-grave and battleaxe culture due to separate burials and the Mena s habit of being buried with stone axes.

The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8433527/First-homosexual-caveman-found.html)

Don Brick
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
"Gay Caveman" huh? That would be a great name for a band. But what genre? Any suggestions. ;)

Wyn
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
The male body – said to date back to between 2900-2500BC – was discovered buried in a way normally reserved only for women of the Corded Ware culture in the Copper Age.

Definitive proof that the 'caveman' was 'gay.' :rolleyes2: What an assumption to make.

Agrippa
04-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Well, that's it, British newspaper must be among the worst and dumbest in the world.

They have one of the best accesses to news from around the world, but what do they make out of it? The headlines in particular seem to be written for morons on a regular basis.

I mean, they talk about Corded Ware people, like they themselves write:

Corded Ware culture in the Copper Age

What the fuck has this to do with a "caveman"? Copper Age!

Caveman alone is pretty stupid, but in this context so misplaced...

Rest of the text is ok though, if ignoring the crappy start.

To the topic as such: Ritual gender changes being recorded in various cultures, as were Eunuchs and the like.

So what exactly we deal with here is unsure, but "homosexual" is not precise in any case, because a normal "homosexual" wouldn't be buried like a woman in my opinion. So it must be something transsexual or ritual rather...

Usually even small boys got their usual male inventar, weapons they never used, so this is really an extraordinary case.

heathen_son
04-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Interesting, but a rather tenuous conclusion.

Peasant
04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Could have been a way of 'humiliating' the dead man? Or maybe a hermaphrodite?

Agrippa
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Sounds like an option to me. But it would be strange, for such an humiliation, to have such an effort.

Most of the time, it was considered humiliating enough to just dump the body without any rituals it seems. So I guess they wanted to do something positive for the deceased rather, unless they find a proof for an execution or the like, what they didn't I guess.

Some sort of special case treatment in any case and probably really related to the sexual orientation/identity or role in the group in general.

Eldritch
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Unlikely, since afaIk the association of females being somehow inferior was imported from the Middle East much after this person had died.

I agree it's a bit of long shot. But to be fair the archeological team was simply speculating, and the press then hammed it up.

Bloodeagle
04-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Does anyone know what the significance of the burial positions between the sexes might mean, facing East for the women and West for the men?

Svanhild
04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
There's no evidence for him being gay. What a ridiculous conclusion! Let's hope the dead one will walk the earth again and kill those dickheads involved.

Loddfafner
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
A couple of notes:
1. Cross-gender behavior and homosexuality do not necessarily coincide. The extent that they do is one of those historical and cultural variables.
2. There is nothing new about finding a mismatch between the sex of a skeleton and the gendering of the objects buried with it. Maybe this is older or from a different culture than others found, such as some Viking-age burials in Birka.

Treffie
04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
He was obviously an early form of metrosexual. :p

Aramis
04-07-2011, 05:20 PM
A dildo in his burial ground would have been the ultimate proof. But so far is his homosexuality nothing but a vague assumptions.

Himera
04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
:dielaughing::dielaughing::dielaughing:
"Cave fagg" ..I haven't heard something like this for a long time...

Max
04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
The Czechs must be really proud:D

Adalwolf
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM
It would be hard to believe that they would show this much respect for an effeminate fag.

Pallantides
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM
such as some Viking-age burials in Birka.

Swedish Vikings:D

...well here in Norway there have been found old runes describing homosexual acts.

Troll's Puzzle
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
They found he was buried with several Diana Ross vinyls, and a couple of pirate romance books in proto-greek written by a guy called 'Fabiophanes'. I would say that's conclusive proof as to his ancientness and sexual orientation.

Allenson
04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
What the fuck has this to do with a "caveman"? Copper Age!

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't exactly think of Corded Ware culture as 'caveman' Whatever the hell that is in the first place.

Writing a properly researched article?

http://www.simforums.com/forums/uploads/20100228_141420_geico-caveman.jpg

Agrippa
04-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Unlikely, since afaIk the association of females being somehow inferior was imported from the Middle East much after this person had died.

What's inferiour and how you define it is open to debate for many ages, but fact is, usually, a male in a female's position was not really someone with a high status, unless it was a very special, spiritual or whatever, person.

So regardless of whether females were seen as inferiors then or not, males AS FEMALES most likely were, unless there was a special situation.

Does anyone know what the significance of the burial positions between the sexes might mean, facing East for the women and West for the men?

No. But what's really interesting is, that the Bell Beakers adopted the same custom in Central Europe, but used the EXACT OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!

The Cordeds expanded to the West, the Beakers tried it to the East!

So they were facing each others as competitors in a way one could say even...

And of course, the Indo-Europeans were strongly patriarchal, patrilocality was proven in Eulau. Looking at the racial change, it seems likely to me that often bands of young warriors took local and foreign females - would fit into the y vs. mtDNA distribution as well.

From some people we know they castrated or feminised slaves at times, who knows, probably he was one of those, or alternatively:

It would be hard to believe that they would show this much respect for an effeminate fag.

He was the chief's or priest's son, a privileged position, even as a fag ;)

Motörhead Remember Me
04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I always thought the Corded ware people were a bunch of continental metrosexuals or even gays. The real men belonged to Comb ware culture: Northeast Europe.

Motörhead Remember Me
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Humour aside. I did not find this very surprising.

Homosexual/Transsexual men has been associated with spirituality by many old cultures. Among many native peoples such as the American Indians these men were often schamans as they were the physical link between the genders and assumed to be closer to the spirits.

...among the Native Americans societies, same-sex unions have taken the form of Two-Spirit-type relationships, in which some male members of the tribe, from an early age, heed a calling to take on female gender with all its responsibilities. They are prized as wives by the other men in the tribe, who enter into formal marriages with these Two-Spirit men. They are also respected as being especially powerful shamans.For the intrested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions

Greek historian Herodotus described transvestive shamans among the Scythians.
http://books.google.fi/books?id=1ha9GgWNmy0C&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=schaman+homosexual&source=bl&ots=MKFxl3qVFp&sig=_ytGRbin7VZiNNuAbw6XyQtESlU&hl=fi&ei=gwueTceSL4_Cswatuu2vBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

The shaman is essentially a “wise man,” one sought out for advice and healing. The position is often hereditary, though by experiencing certain “ecstatic” experiences, a tribal member can be elected to the post. When a youth becomes alienated from his family and tribe, wanders away and seeks solitude for long periods, or exhibits severe antisocial behavior, he may be expected to become a shaman.
There are emotional and sociological problems common to all cultures, and it appears that some individuals subject to these differences find the position of shaman to be a release from the restrictions imposed upon other tribe members. The shaman is sometimes a socially inept or poorly integrated citizen, often homosexual, crippled, or epileptic, and the exalted station of shaman allows him to fit into the social picture and survive. This would seem to be an excellent method of providing for and accommodating those with disabilities and/or unique lifestyles.
http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/shaman.html

It is no wonder that the man (if he was homosexual and not just a really good cook) was buried with great respect. Homosexuality only became something weird thanks to the evil teachings of the crooked Middle eastern religions.

Pallantides
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I think I read somewhere the Norse and also Saami had simillar practices... though modern Saami are extremly homophobic and Norse are totally the opposite:D

Magister Eckhart
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Just another claim typical of the sodomite press and their Marxist anti-Western allies in the science community making an effort to justify sick perversions and further condemn proper Western social and sexual mores.

If anything I think this should prove rather conclusively how politicised and untrustworthy anthropology has become. Once an enthralling jewel on man's crown of knowledge, it is more or less a fake science at this point.

Eldritch
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Just another claim typical of the sodomite press and their Marxist anti-Western allies in the science community making an effort to justify sick perversions and further condemn proper Western social and sexual mores.

What was the claim, exactly?

Magister Eckhart
04-07-2011, 10:41 PM
What was the claim, exactly?

That the caveman is gay. I am in the right thread, am I not?

Peasant
04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
A gay 'caveman' is not so unreasonable. I doubt faggotry is new.

Eldritch
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
That the caveman is gay. I am in the right thread, am I not?

Yes, but that was just speculation from the archaeological team.

There's no way of knowing how prehistoric people regarded sexual orientations, and sex in general. What actually amuses me is that there have been graves of women buried with weapons and tools typically used by men discovered before, and yet, I at least don't recall anyone assuming that these women were lesbians. :rolleyes:

The way the journalist used said speculation to get attention-grabbing headlines is another thing. Believe me, I tried to find another article reporting the same finding in a more neutral way. I failed, however.

Magister Eckhart
04-07-2011, 10:50 PM
A gay 'caveman' is not so unreasonable. I doubt faggotry is new.

The point is they have about as much evidence to claim this specimen practised sodomy as they do to claim he was a John Denver fan.

Pallantides
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I always thought the Corded ware people were a bunch of continental metrosexuals or even gays. The real men belonged to Comb ware culture: Northeast Europe.

Any culture with a lot of Nordids will have homosexuals:D
http://images.wikio.com/images/p/31ef/la-gaffe-vestimentaire-du-jour-chris-crocker.jpg

Peasant
04-07-2011, 11:20 PM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-%26-technology/caveman-picked-up-on-archeological-gaydar-201104073701/ :D

Osweo
04-08-2011, 01:15 AM
No. But what's really interesting is, that the Bell Beakers adopted the same custom in Central Europe, but used the EXACT OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS!

So they were facing each others as competitors in a way one could say even...

Interesting to see these family tiffs finding archaeological expression....

Once upon a time, there were two brothers, aR1an and arR1ba. They were strong of limb, fierce in battle, and crafty in guile.

"Brother," cried aR1an one day, "Who in the World can stand against us?"

"I know not, but I would ride to the thrice-ninth kingdom to find such a champion."

"What then shall become of our patrimony?"

"'T'were meet we divide it here, Brother, and ride our separate ways."

"What road takest thou, arR1ba?"

"I follow the setting Sun, aR1an. Ride thou to His rising, brother, and may glory find thee!"

Swords flashed and shields were cleft. The Raven gorged on the flesh of the fallen. arR1ba fought hard and won lands for his heirs. The Sons of arR1ba drove all before them, until the Great Western Ocean itself could mark their only frontier. The foemen were vanquished, slain or enslaved. arR1ba's seed ruled unrivalled in the West.

aR1an likewise founded great kingdoms and dynasties. His scions grew boastful and complacent, asking "Who can rival us for renown and eminence among the clans?" An emissary of the Sons of arR1ba was present at one such voicing of this conceit. He held his tongue until the haughty aR1an lordling had finished, and then arose;

"A great and glorious achievement, O Kinsman. And yet... what delayed you on your journey to the Eastern Sea? We hear there is still... a China..."

;)

Agrippa
04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't wonder if the Bell Beakers were not that often R1b though, but rather Neolithic-Caucasian inspired. Anyway, let's wait and let them be tested :)

http://images.wikio.com/images/p/31ef/la-gaffe-vestimentaire-du-jour-chris-crocker.jpg

Be aware of Alpinid gay power:

http://www.promi.at/fotos/dirk-bach-2.jpg

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/bilder/berliner-aids-gala-in-berlin-mit-dirk-bach-dirk-bach-321829_0_320.jpg

:D

Belenus
04-08-2011, 07:57 AM
The 'cave man' was probably just not a member of the warrior class.

Agrippa
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM

No, that's no explanation. Lower level members of the tribe were usually buried with essentially the same goods, just less of it. F.e. the richer and more important members of the group got their bow, axe, dagger (copper and early bronze age) and the like.
If you were poor or not a warrior, you simply lacked certain status symbols and tools.

But this is something completely different, a man given goods, but that of a woman!

That is really, really rare!

Yet poor graves, probably of generally poor group members, non-warriors, unfree slaves and the like, were pretty common.

SwordoftheVistula
04-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Well that makes sense. The males were facing the frontier, the direction of their enemies, the direction they were traveling in. The females kept their back to this and turned towards more familiar territory.

Motörhead Remember Me
04-08-2011, 10:02 AM

In such an ancient culture all tribal men were warriors and all warriors were tribal men. But they were most of all hunters and gatherers. Warrior classes developed only later.

Agrippa
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
In such an ancient culture all tribal men were warriors and all warriors were tribal men. But they were most of all hunters and gatherers. Warrior classes developed only later.

But not all were of the same status nor were all free. You might say a true warrior class was not present, but social stratification was.

Motörhead Remember Me
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
^True.

Heimmacht
04-08-2011, 10:42 AM

HAH! That reminds me of this fellow. gKhjaGRhIYU

Perhaps the man was against weapons in life and in the afterlife. ;)

Sebbo
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
My personal opinion is that there are a few options as to why this happened.

1. The pots represent medicine, other artifacts have decomposed, but maybe there were skin and wood drums, and such things associated with shamans.. AND BLACKKKK METAL, no but on a serious note, perhaps the guy was a medicine man, and as such was buried in a special way.

2. He was also buried with weapons and other items typically found in male graves... but they were removed, either by looters, or the tribe who needed them, shortage of metal etc.

3. Humilation of an enemy

4. They got drunk and buried the body in the wrong hole :P ( unlikely but stranger things have happened)

5. ( connected to 2.) they couldnt afford to bury valuable weapons and such... so they didnt

Eldritch
04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Believe me, I tried to find another article reporting the same finding in a more neutral way. I failed, however.

Some improvement:

'Gay Caveman' Story Overblown, Archaeologists Say

Archaeologists in Prague say they've uncovered a Stone-Age man buried in a position usually reserved for women — but media claims of a "gay caveman" may be exaggerated, according to some researchers.

The skeleton, which dates back to about 2,500 to 2,800 B.C., was found in the outskirts of Prague. The culture the man belonged to (known as the Corded Ware culture for their pottery decorated with the impressions of twisted cord) was very finicky about grave rituals, reported Iranian news network Press TV, which visited the excavation site.

According to the Czech news website Ceskapozice.cz (http://www.ceskapozice.cz/), Corded Ware males were usually buried on their right sides with their heads facing east. This man, however, was buried on his left with his head facing west — a traditionally female position.

"We found one very specific grave of a man lying in the position of a woman, without gender specific grave goods, neither jewelry or weapons," lead archaeologist Kamila Remisova Vesinova of the Czech Archaeological Society told Press TV.

Full story. (http://www.ceskapozice.cz/)

Magister Eckhart
04-08-2011, 02:48 PM
'Gay Caveman' Story Overblown, Archaeologists Say

Archaeologists in Prague say they've uncovered a Stone-Age man buried in a position usually reserved for women — but media claims of a "gay caveman" may be exaggerated, according to some researchers.

The skeleton, which dates back to about 2,500 to 2,800 B.C., was found in the outskirts of Prague. The culture the man belonged to (known as the Corded Ware culture for their pottery decorated with the impressions of twisted cord) was very finicky about grave rituals, reported Iranian news network Press TV, which visited the excavation site.

According to the Czech news website Ceskapozice.cz, Corded Ware males were usually buried on their right sides with their heads facing east. This man, however, was buried on his left with his head facing west — a traditionally female position.

"We found one very specific grave of a man lying in the position of a woman, without gender specific grave goods, neither jewelry or weapons," lead archaeologist Kamila Remisova Vesinova of the Czech Archaeological Society told Press TV.

And my claim of it being the invention of the sodomite press are proven.

EnlightenedHumanist
04-10-2011, 03:15 AM
This is obviously politicized. There is absolutely no reason to assume that he was "gay," because he was burried like "a woman." First this would involve assuming that sexual orientation in ancient primitive societies associated same-sex attraction with effiemnity in males or masculinity in females. Only OUR modern culture has made such a connection, usually as a strategy to attack the foundations of society.

I am aware that ancient societies had a number of homosexuals but this was usually associated with the shaman. The Shaman had some sort of special ability or connection to the divine, which is likely just a metaphor for special intelligence. This may explains why homosexuals today have high IQ's today. It could also explain why we find homosexuality in religious castes. This is evident across all cultures. The Scythians and Celtis had their own priestly class where we see homosexual acitvity, as well as non-European cultures such as Native Americans, Semites, and Asiatic.

What you often see in our modern culture is a attempt to connect the current cultural homosexuality with ancient homosexuality in order to justify the overly sexized and demeaning gay sub-culture that currently exists.

Loddfafner
04-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Your average department store clerk who dances to fuckin disco and smokes meth with his hookups is probably not shaman material.

SwordoftheVistula
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Your average department store clerk who dances to fuckin disco and smokes meth with his hookups is probably not shaman material.

Rev. Ted Haggard would disagree :D

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-01-29/us/lkl.ted.haggard_1_ted-haggard-head-pastor-church-staff-member?_s=PM:US

Controversy involving Haggard first erupted in November 2006, when a former prostitute, Mike Jones, said the pastor had paid him for sex over three years and had used methamphetamine in his presence.

Bloodeagle
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Scientists speak out to discredit 'gay caveman' media reports (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/04/10/czech.republic.unusual.burial/index.html)

Agrippa
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Scientists speak out to discredit 'gay caveman' media reports (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/04/10/czech.republic.unusual.burial/index.html)

Its about time that scientists defend the truth and stand up to their justified opinion and not just pop up if it is about defending "politically correct" results and interpretations.

Finally some reason in the reports about that grave, this is good for the reputation of the archaeological community, because if they accept or even produce such crappy news, they themselves must face the accusation of "pseudo-science".

Fortis in Arduis
04-15-2011, 09:47 PM
It was a transgendered burial, but that is a separate issue from 'gay'.

What sensational rot!!!

Wow @ at our ancestral culture though.

yedernieL
04-16-2011, 08:49 AM
A story about the supposed “World’s First Gay Caveman” has started circulating. A dig in the Czech Republic found male remains, buried in the manner of females from the time and place he was from. Some assumed this naturally meant he was a homosexual. Scientists were not amused, as the man was not definitively homosexual and surely not a caveman.

Motörhead Remember Me
04-19-2011, 05:54 AM
And my claim of it being the invention of the sodomite press are proven.

The sodomite press? You Americans never seize to impress me with your understanding of reality.:D

Curtis24
04-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Even if he was gay(which is not evidenced), but even so why would it be a big deal? Ancient history is already rife with tales of homosexuality.

Magister Eckhart
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Even if he was gay(which is not evidenced), but even so why would it be a big deal? Ancient history is already rife with tales of homosexuality.

The real issue here is the attempt by the press to twist the facts to create more "evidence" that strange and abnormal sexual practises are somehow acceptable and sodomites are therefore entitled to some kind of "rights".

Motörhead Remember Me
04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
The real issue here is the attempt by the press to twist the facts to create more "evidence" that strange and abnormal sexual practises are somehow acceptable and sodomites are therefore entitled to some kind of "rights".

The article may have been poorly written but so are most articles outside the scientific press.
But, you are not in any position to judge the acceptance or not of sexual practices thousands of years ago.

gandalf
05-06-2011, 05:48 PM
"First homosexual caveman found"

Was he English ?

Peasant
05-06-2011, 05:49 PM
French, probably.

gandalf
05-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Good man !

Beorn
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Gay caveman probably not gay or a caveman
(http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/04/17/gay-caveman-probably-not-gay-or-a-caveman/)
Sometime between 2,900 and 2,500 B.C., a Copper Age farming community in what would become the outskirts of Prague buried one of its own, observing the rites reserved for women: head facing east, body surrounded by domestic jugs.
The grave amazed Czech archeologists. The skeleton, they believe, is that of a he, not a she: a man apparently buried not like other men — head facing west, cache of weapons — but like a woman. This suggests prehistoric humans acknowledging, even accepting, sexual identities other than what we understand as straight male and female, at least according to the research team’s controversial hypothesis.
“We know that people from this period took funeral rites very seriously, so it is highly unlikely that this positioning was a mistake,” said lead archaeologist Kamila Remisova Vesinova this past week. “Far more likely is that he was a man with a different sexual orientation — homosexual or transsexual.”

Once British newspapers got their hands on the quote, they dumbed it down to the hilarious phrase “gay caveman.” More hilarity ensued in coverage online, because the idea of a gay caveman clashes, with comedic possibilities, against the macho, bedraggled caricature of a European stone-age hunter-gatherer.
More seriously, the find represented a potential milestone for those who want to see irrefutable scientific proof that sexual diversity is inextricably woven into the biological fabric of humanity. If homosexuality and non-dual genders have been with our species forever, the reasoning goes, it bolsters the argument that they are simply part of who we are.

From research that purports to show differences between the brains of gay and straight people — which prompted similar hoopla over work by British neuroscientist Simon LeVay — to studies of same-sex orientation in the animal kingdom, the past 20 years has seen a flourishing of research that seems to suggest homosexuality and transsexuality have biological origins.
“Why are people so interested in showing that sexual orientation has a biological basis? Because if it has a biological basis then it can’t be changed, and therefore to discriminate against people for something that they can’t change is wrong,” said Margaret Schneider, an expert on sexual orientation, gender, and gender variance at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto.

Every piece of evidence that suggests nature makes us differently helps bolster gay, lesbian and transgender rights, she said. When people believe sexual diversity is natural, she added, homophobia recedes as a cultural force. “The science becomes a political tool.”
There are, however, problems with using the Prague burial to support the idea of innate homosexuality (or transsexuality.) Researchers in the field were quick to respond to the findings, suggesting the “gay caveman” was neither gay, nor even a caveman.
There are questions archaeology is at a loss to answer, including how a man who has been dead for five millennia would have understood his own gender or where he would locate himself on Alfred Kinsey’s one-to-seven scale of heterosexual-to-homosexual orientation.

There is also the problem of the biological gender of the Prague skeleton, which some researchers have doubted was male to begin with. Rosemary Joyce, an anthropologist at the University of California, Berkeley, noted some female skeletons can appear male. As well, she wrote on her blog: “There is the question of intersexed individuals,” which she chides the Czech researchers for not considering. The Intersex Society of North America estimates 1% of people are born with bodies that differ from standard male or female.
The “caveman” part is just plain wrong, meanwhile. As University of Wisconsin anthropologist John Hawks wrote on his blog, “Corded Ware [people] are pre-Bronze Age farmers, not anywhere near cavemen.”
In an email to the Post, Prof. Joyce also noted that a “gay caveman,” if we were to find one, would not be so groundbreaking anyway. Diversity of orientation and sexual identity is already part of anthropology’s picture of the past.

“There is now a wide range of anthropologists who accept or actively argue for sexual variability being normal, not something especially new or modern. Texts tell us this as far back as writing exists — well into the 2,000 to 4,000 B.C. time period,” wrote the author of Ancient Bodies, Ancient Lives: Sex, Gender and Archaeology.
“Anthropologists who study our closest primate relatives — chimpanzees — point out that bonobos have quite varied sexual relationships, so it is not possible to argue that we inherited monogamy,” Prof. Joyce continued. “The entire topic is quite a serious scholarly one. Which is why we [anthropologists] hate the gay caveman article so much. It is not taking the topic seriously.”

All of these concepts are left for individuals to make sense of. And ambiguity and sexuality go hand in hand. Our ancient friend may have been as puzzling to some of his peers as he is to us. One can imagine villagers turning to another at the conclusion of the burial ceremony and asking, “Well — was he or wasn’t he?”

Logan
10-27-2011, 11:13 PM

Archaeologists have unearthed the 5,000-year-old remains of what they believe may have been the world's oldest known gay caveman.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/06/article-1374060-0B81BCAD00000578-340_634x520.jpg

"Far more likely is that he was a man with a different sexual orientation, homosexual or transsexual," she added...

"But this later discovery was neither of those, leading us to believe the man was probably homosexual or transsexual," Semeradova said...

The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8433527/First-homosexual-caveman-found.html)

Some imagination. More likely not the Conan type.