PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to lose your native accent when speaking a foreign language after 18 years old?

cyberlorian
09-11-2018, 04:49 PM
For example, take a French native speaker who is 18 old to London. If he or she lives in London for years, does not speak any French, only speak in English, will he or she get rid of all the remnants of his or her French accent when speaking in English?

alnortedelsur
09-11-2018, 05:13 PM
I don't know regarding other languages, but this happens among Spanish native speakers when they immigrate from their native country to another Spanish speaking country with a different accent: that after a long time living in the other country, they end up losing their own accent and speaking in the accent of the adoptive country.

In my own case,when living in Spain I never completely lose my Venezuelan accent but ended up speaking a mixture of Spanish and Venezuelan accent. But I only lived few years in Spain. Then in Houston TX, I got a bit contaminated by the Mexican accent of some Mexican friends, and now my Spanish is a mix of Venezuelan, Spanish and Mexican :p

Not saying that my own case is the rule (not at all), but it happened to me because I have been moving from one place to another during all my life.

cyberlorian
09-11-2018, 05:15 PM
I don't know regarding other languages, but this happens among Spanish native speakers when they immigrate from their native country to another Spanish speaking country with a different accent: that after a long time living in the other country, they end up losing their accent and speaking in the accent of the adoptive country.

In my own case,when living in Spain I never completely lose my Venezuelan accent but ended up speaking a mixture of Spanish and Venezuelan accent. But I only lived few years in Spain. Then in Houston TX, I got a bit contaminated by the Mexican accent of some Mexican friends, and now my Spanish is a mix of Venezuelan, Spanish and Mexican :p

Not saying that my own case is the rule (not at all), but it happened to me because I have been moving from one place to another during all my life.

Seems like almost all people cannot get rid off all the remnants of their prior accent or accents.

Seya
09-11-2018, 05:16 PM
some people do others don't..but yes, it's possible

cyberlorian
09-11-2018, 05:21 PM
some people do others don't..but yes, it's possible

I think they carry the remnants of their prior accent or accents. However, those remnants can only be caught by the fluent speakers. For example, Ivana Sert has moved from Serbia to Turkey 14 years ago. Also, she has married to a Turkish man. Although 14 years have passed, when she speaks, the remnants of Serbian accent is heard. However, another person who is not a fluent Turkish speaker might not hear the difference between Ivana Sert's accent and my accent.

Seya
09-11-2018, 05:26 PM
I think they carry the remnants of their prior accent or accents. However, those remnants can only be caught by the fluent speakers. For example, Ivana Sert has moved from Serbia to Turkey 14 years ago. Also, she has married to a Turkish man. Although 14 years have passed, when she speaks, the remnants of Serbian accent is heard. However, another person who is not a fluent Turkish speaker might not hear the difference between Ivana Sert's accent and my accent.

i know...i have also such examples. but i also have examples of people who have no accest what so ever. there is a russian singer who moved to romania like 60 years ago..she never left..she still has a very strong accent, but i know other 3 people who moved here as students: one is japonese, one is turkish and one tunisian...they all speak romanian absolutely perfect..no accent at all. they speak a cleaner romanian then 70-80% of the actual romanians, as most of them have regional accents

gıulıoımpa
09-11-2018, 05:50 PM
It can happen but it's much easier if you yourself speak and learn that langauge with a typical accent of a place or provence of that country

Inviato dal mio SM-G389F utilizzando Tapatalk

Papastratosels26
09-11-2018, 06:03 PM
No I don't think so

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk