PDA

View Full Version : Thambi's AncestryDNA update

Thambi
09-13-2018, 03:08 AM
updated results.
100% from the indian subcontinent but probably the weirdest division of the region. not sure why gujaratis/western indians form their own group thats separate from south asia :picard2:

66% Southern Asia
34% Western and Central India

https://i.imgur.com/mpPjYRE.png

Previous results

87% South Asia
8% East Asia
5% Melanesia

https://i.imgur.com/GMs7O3U.png

Rędwald
09-13-2018, 03:10 AM
Are you happy with your updated results? How accurate do you believe it to be.

Thambi
09-13-2018, 03:13 AM
Are you happy with your updated results? How accurate do you believe it to be.

kind of.

The overall percentage 100% from the indian subcontinent is accurate, but the division within south asia seems really awkward lol. They grouped south india, pakistan, and even most of afghanistan under south asia but western india, which includes one state called gujarat, has its own category.

Truth Preacher
09-13-2018, 04:32 AM
kind of.

The overall percentage 100% from the indian subcontinent is accurate, but the division within south asia seems really awkward lol. They grouped south india, pakistan, and even most of afghanistan under south asia but western india, which includes one state called gujarat, has its own category.

Probably cos of previous user: Skipper/HondaAccord lol.

Iloko
09-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Gedmatch tends to be way more interesting & informative for South Asians

Thambi
09-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Gedmatch tends to be way more interesting & informative for South Asians

yeah true. These 23andme and AncestryDNA tests just group everyone from afghanistan to srilanka into one category. Afghanistan isnt even south asia. Its not wrong in categorizing us desis as full south asian based on recent ancestry but its quite vague. Cant blame them though due to their lack of enough samples from the region.

Gedmatch is indeed very precise in comparison and gives out accurate oracles and all.

arkas
09-30-2018, 02:54 PM
My mum just got an update as well by the way, she has somewhat similar results to you and no more East Asian, Polynesian or Melanesian.

It is more accurate I think since they got rid of my mum's non-South Asian percentages, but also less accurate since I can't believe my mum has ANY Western/Central Indian ancestry.

Thambi
09-30-2018, 04:24 PM
My mum just got an update as well by the way, she has somewhat similar results to you and no more East Asian, Polynesian or Melanesian.

It is more accurate I think since they got rid of my mum's non-South Asian percentages, but also less accurate since I can't believe my mum has ANY Western/Central Indian ancestry.

woah so she has no east asian? she's completely indian then. yeah the western/central indian is so random. I have no mix from that region as well. gujarati patels are quite tested among south asian groups so thats why they get their own group i guess. btw what are her updated percentages?

Jana
09-30-2018, 04:32 PM
yeah true. These 23andme and AncestryDNA tests just group everyone from afghanistan to srilanka into one category. Afghanistan isnt even south asia. Its not wrong in categorizing us desis as full south asian based on recent ancestry but its quite vague. Cant blame them though due to their lack of enough samples from the region.

Gedmatch is indeed very precise in comparison and gives out accurate oracles and all.

That is because these kind of tests are oriented towards white Americans of western European ancestry. Youl will see western Europe broken down in to very small and well refined clusters, while they grouped us eastern Euros is one huge cluster from Kazakhstan to Bulgaria :lol: The same for South Asia I think, very bizzare breakdown, and way too broad

arkas
09-30-2018, 04:37 PM
woah so she has no east asian? she's completely indian then. yeah the western/central indian is so random. I have no mix from that region as well. gujarati patels are quite tested among south asian groups so thats why they get their own group i guess. btw what are her updated percentages?

None, I didn't really ever think I had any actual East Asian ancestry, but I couldn't say for sure before. My mum is now 52% Western and Central Indian and 48% South Asian. Do you know where Gujrati people, assuming Western/Central are Gujrati, where they plot in relation to other groups? I would've thought South Indians would be VERY far from them.

I made a thread with the updated results in here.
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?261406-Update-to-my-mum-and-grandmother-s-DNA-results

Thambi
09-30-2018, 04:42 PM
That is because these kind of tests are oriented towards white Americans of western European ancestry. Youl will see western Europe broken down in to very small and well refined clusters, while they grouped us eastern Euros is one huge cluster from Kazakhstan to Bulgaria :lol: The same for South Asia I think, very bizzare breakdown, and way too broad

yeah so true. They made some updates recently in the european region probably due to more customers from that area. before italy/greece used to be one category now they split that and gave italy sub regions lol. Rest of southern europe is quite broad.

Thambi
09-30-2018, 05:21 PM
gujaratis are quite diverse. They can plot anywhere from nw indian (Gujarati A) like to south indian mid caste like (Gujarati D). Average would probably be around the range of south indian brahmins.

Here's an overall plot. I plot closest to Gujarati D, which is usually the patel cluster but not all patels are gujarati D shifted though.

https://i.imgur.com/KGTChDs.png

newdbr
09-13-2021, 11:18 PM
yeah so true. They made some updates recently in the european region probably due to more customers from that area. before italy/greece used to be one category now they split that and gave italy sub regions lol. Rest of southern europe is quite broad.

Sir can I please have your expertise here
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?351810-How-many-women-look-like-this-in-these-countries

Duffmannn
09-20-2021, 08:38 PM
A very vague analysis. It would be better if it divided between indo-aryan and dravidian components.