PDA

View Full Version : Which is better, Plasma or LED/LCD TV's?

Austin
04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
This is my TV, http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/VIERA-GT-Series-Plasma-Full-HD-3D-HDTVs/model.TC-46PGT24.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

It has more response time than an LED or LCD with it's 600Hz Sub-field Drive. It looks better with my games than my LED monitor does.

http://www.best-3dtvs.com/guides/what-does-600hz-sub-field-drive-mean/

Subfield drive is a clever terminology devised by Plasma TV manufacturers to prove to consumers the inherent advantage Plasma panels have over LCD TVs when it comes to pixel response times and screen refresh rates. This directly translates into a better viewing experience for fast moving video content and minimized image ghosting artifacts. While 120Hz, 240Hz and 480Hz LCD technology has certainly come a long way in lowering these issues in LCD TVs, Plasma TVs still retain the upper hand over LCD TVs in this area.

The LED monitor isn't as good in color-quality but has slightly better lighting even with my Plasma on gaming mode which gives it better lighting, yet the response time of my plasma especially with games is much, much better than my LED monitor though the LED isn't by any means bad. http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/computer-peripherals/monitors/consumer/LS23WHUKFV/XK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification&subsubtype=70-lcd-series

What is your setup? I'd like to hear from those who have an LED TV and use it for games. Do you like it better? Is the default lighting on LED TV's worth it in your opinion over the response time and color of a plasma without having to go into the plasma's settings and turn it on gaming mode which gives more lighting?

Bloodeagle
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Plasma is the best, if electrical consumption is not an issue. :)

Austin
04-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Plasma is the best, if electrical consumption is not an issue. :)

Yes omg plasma's heat up a lot wow! It basically operates as a heater.

What really heats up though is my five year old aiwa stereo that I use for my TV/PC sound. It's still better than the default TV/PC speakers since all TV audio output is stereo by default anyways.

antonio
04-09-2011, 10:41 PM
The electric comsumption and heating of a 46'' plasma should be huge. If you dont mind playing half your current configuration, I would buy a dedicated monitor and save your plasma for films, taking into account its limited timespan, although video technology is changing so fast to better solutions at same price that maybe caring about timespan could be nowadays ridiculous.

Belenus
04-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a big screen plasma TV and I really hope my first electrical bill since buying it isn't going to be astronomical. As for visual quality - it's top notch.

Austin
04-09-2011, 10:54 PM
The electric comsumption and heating of a 46'' plasma should be huge. If you dont mind playing half your current configuration, I would buy a dedicated monitor and save your plasma for films, taking into account its limited timespan, although video technology is changing so fast to better solutions at same price that maybe caring about timespan could be nowadays ridiculous.

That hasn't been an issue for years. The fat guy at the TV store I bought mine at said he has had his 50 inch plasma for three years and it's still working as it was on day one. That stuff only applied to early models.

http://www.hometechanswers.com/hdtv/plasma-television-lifespan.html

Since the introduction of plasma television back in 1999, the hot topic of conversation has been Plasma TV lifespan. Whilst it is true that early plasma screens proved to have a limited lifespan due to excessive heat, plasma technology has advanced to the point that longevity is very much on a par with tube and LCD screens.

Consequently, consumers now have no need to worry about Plasma TV lifespan as that is now a thing of the past. Manufacturers of Plasma screens are now quoting life-spans of some 60.000 hours which is equivalent to nearly seven years of continuous viewing 24 hours a day - 7 days a week.
If you take into consideration that the average person may only watch around eight hours of television a day, a new plasma television should last up to twenty years assuming that manufacturers specifications are correct.

Another source: http://plasmavslcdtv.blogspot.com/

Lifespan
Myth
Plasma screens have a shorter lifespan than LCD screens.

Fact
Plasma TVs actually have a lifespan that’s at least equal to that of LCD TVs. TVs using either technology will provide at least 60,000 hours of life under normal viewing conditions before they lose more than half their original brightness. This translates to 27 years of continuous viewing for six hours a day.

My old SHARP LCD TV would heat up like crazy and I never noticed any loss in quality. Power usage is not really an issue for me as I'm going to pay whatever my electricity bill is either way and I don't give a damn about energy conservation. I'm an eat the whales and mine the mountains type.

antonio
04-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't give a damn about energy conservation. I'm an eat the whales and mine the mountains type.

I have a friend as trusted source on those audiovisual issues and shares your high consideration about plasma (nowadays more affordable than ever). My only concern is derivated from my personal situation on Spanish summers with no air-condition at all. And, of course, I give also a shit about green issues. :D

Grumpy Cat
04-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Actually, when buying a TV, LED or LCD TVs are better in rooms with a window, because the sunlight won't reflect off them as much.

If your TV is in the basement, go plasma.

Austin
04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
I have a friend as trusted source on those audiovisual issues and shares your high consideration about plasma (nowadays more affordable than ever). My only concern is derivated from my personal situation on Spanish summers with no air-condition at all. And, of course, I give also a shit about green issues. :D

Yes that was my main consideration. The LED's that I wanted were near 2k and I didn't want to spend that. When I asked the guy if he'd buy a new LED he laughed and said "uhhh no......, LED's are brighter and that's all, they are actually LCD's with just more side-lighting"...."Plasma is what me and Joe whats-his-name have and they are better most just don't know it"

Honestly the color on my plasma is much better, especially the blacks and reds. Mostly though what is key to me is refresh rates which are 600 on my plasma compared to 400 on the 2000$ dollar new LED so yeah.

Like while I'm looking at my TV right now and my monitor, my avatar is brighter on my LED monitor yet has less color whereas on my plasma my avatar is 100x more colorful and thx to gaming-mode setting is also just as bright, hence better.

Austin
04-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Actually, when buying a TV, LED or LCD TVs are better in rooms with a window, because the sunlight won't reflect off them as much.

If your TV is in the basement, go plasma.

Not if you go to settings within your plasma TV and set it to 'gaming-mode' (makes it basically LED quality lighting) or just adjust the brightness via contrast.

The color tones are still better on the plasma even when you do this.

antonio
04-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Refresh rates above 200Hz are not relevant. But you're right about blacks: backlight of LCDs (impairing quality and fucking up the back of your eyes) always keep me from regarding them as a serious replacement for CRT. It's clear that future belongs to other tecnologies, like delayed SED, in the meantime still expensive Full-Dim LED LCDs and plasmas should be the obvious choices.

Austin
04-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Refresh rates above 200Hz are not relevant. But you're right about blacks: backlight of LCDs (impairing quality and fucking up the back of your eyes) always keep me from regarding them as a serious replacement for CRT. It's clear that future belongs to other tecnologies, like delayed SED, in the meantime still expensive Full-Dim LED LCDs and plasmas should be the obvious choices.

God damn so that's why my eyes hurt with this damn LED monitor screen. It is too damn bright almost to stare at.

Yet I don't think you are considering refresh rates for gaming, especially games like starcraft 2 which rely heavily on refresh rates for high unit encounters. It does matter immensely to have a high refresh rate when using the TV for games. This is where a plasma rapes an LCD or LED TV. There is no competition here, my 2010 plasma has 600 HZ and the best 2011 LED in the store had 400 hz. It is a directly noticeable difference in startcraft 2 custom games such as income wars where you have hundreds of units with unique-individual-actions on the screen at a time. Example:Mjd89gLw-Eo

Honestly I was disappointed with the standard lighting on my plasma and was going to return it for an LED when I tried the gaming mode which changed my mind as it became lighter and naturally has better color still.