PDA

View Full Version : Surnames Tordoff and Shaw

Peterski
09-26-2018, 03:42 AM
Can you tell me more about these two surnames, origins, distribution, etc.?

Sikeliot
09-26-2018, 03:47 AM
Pretty sure Shaw is Irish. Not sure about Tordoff.

Creoda
09-26-2018, 04:11 AM
Can you tell me more about these two surnames, origins, distribution, etc.?
Shaw is English, and very common. The name is in my family a long way back. Tordoff is apparently English too, of Scandinavian origin, though it sounds like an Anglicised Slav name. It's extremely uncommon whatever it is.

Peterski
09-26-2018, 04:17 AM
They are my new matches on Y-DNA. Other close matches include Scottish Chisholms and Olivers.

Dick
09-26-2018, 04:30 AM
They are my new matches on Y-DNA. Other close matches include Scottish Chisholms and Olivers.

That's weird. I have a lot of Chisholms as well but not R1etards obviously.

Bobby Martnen
09-26-2018, 05:40 AM
Tordoff is apparently British, although it sounds like it should be an Anglicization of Twardowski or something similar.

Norb
09-26-2018, 05:47 AM
I have never heard of Tordoff here but Shaw pops up sometimes

Mingle
09-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Tordoff

This most interesting and unusual surname is of Old Scandinavian origin, and derives from an ancient Norse-Viking pre 7th Century personal name "Thjodulf", composed of the Scandinavian (Norse) "Thor", the name of the God of Thunder in Scandinavian mythology and "ulfr", the Old Norse word for wolf (Olde English "wulf"). This surname was originally found in Yorkshire, although early recordings have been found in most areas which were settled by Scandinavian invaders between the 7th and the 11th Century. The surname first appears in records in the late 13th Century (see below) and in the modern idiom it is also found as Tordiffe and Torduff. One Geoffrey Tedolf was recorded in 1273, in the Hundred Rolls of Buckinghamshire. Thomas Turduffe married Anne Deane at Leeds on October 13th 1588, while Lettice, daughter of Thomas Torduffe was christened on October 19th 1589, at St. Peter's Church, Leeds. John Tordoffe married Jane Baylie at Hartshead, Yorkshire, on October 1st 1645, and Susan Tordoff married Jonas Blaymires on November 27th 1638, at Bradford in Yorkshire. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Simon Thudolf, which was dated 1273, The Hundred Rolls of Oxfordshire, during the reign of King Edward 1, known as "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Tordoff#ixzz5SBTMSFld

Shaw

This interesting name is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and may be either a topographical or a locational surname. As a topographical name, Shaw was used for someone who lived by a copse, wood, or thicket, derived from the Old English pre 7th Century "sceaga", copse, small wood. As a locational surname, Shaw is derived from any one of the numerous small places names Shaw, from the Old English "sceaga", such as those in Berkshire, Lancashire, and Wiltshire. Shaw in Berkshire is recorded as "Essages" in the Domesday Book of 1086, and in Lancashire as "Shaghe" in 1555, and a place in Wiltshire as "schaga" in the 1167 Pipe Rolls of the county. The development of the surname includes Richard de la Schawe (1275, Worcestershire), John ate Shaw (1295, Essex), and William Bithe Shaghe (1333, Somerset), and the modern forms of the surname range from Shaw(e), Shay and Shay(e)s to Shave(s) and Shafe. One of the most notable bearers of the name was George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), who was born in Dublin into a Protestant family established in Ireland by William Shaw a captain in William lll's army, who went there in circa 1689. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Simon de Schage, which was dated 1191, in the Berkshire Pipe Rolls, during the reign of King Richard l, known as "Richard the Lionheart", 1189 - 1199. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Shaw#ixzz5SBTcHWj1

Peterski
09-26-2018, 05:55 AM
That's weird. I have a lot of Chisholms as well but not R1etards obviously.

Chisholms are a mix, most of them are I1 and the rest R1.

Bobby Martnen
09-26-2018, 05:56 AM
Chisholms are a mix, most of them are I1 and the rest R1.

Peterski you know a lot about genetics. Do you think I have any R1 ancestors?

Peterski
09-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Peterski you know a lot about genetics. Do you think I have any R1 ancestors?

I would be surprised if you didn't have any.

Creoda
09-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Americans sometimes have old English names that have pretty much died off in the old country and I've never heard of, e.g. Neil Gorsuch.

Bobby Martnen
09-26-2018, 06:03 AM
I would be surprised if you didn't have any.

But my father is NW European (Irish/German/Scottish) and my mom is a mix of West and South Slavs and Sicilians.

Peterski
09-26-2018, 06:07 AM
Well R1 has been the main haplogroup in NW Europe since the Bronze Age.

Bobby Martnen
09-26-2018, 06:08 AM
Well R1 is the main haplogroup in NW Europe.

R1 is some sort of Atlantic Fuckade haplogroup...the original N Euro haplogroup is I1...it's just that Rethel's ancestors brutalized mine

Graham
09-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Shaw is English, and very common. The name is in my family a long way back. Tordoff is apparently English too, of Scandinavian origin, though it sounds like an Anglicised Slav name. It's extremely uncommon whatever it is.

Shaw is Scots and English, but unrelated.

https://image.ibb.co/bCy5Z9/image.png

Bobby Martnen
09-26-2018, 06:44 PM
Shaw is Scots and English, but unrelated.

Shaw is sometimes an Anglicization of the Chinese surname Hsiao

Dick
09-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Shaw is sometimes an Anglicization of the Chinese surname Hsiao:lmao

Kelmendasi
09-26-2018, 07:02 PM
The only Shaw I know is a Jew

SvartVarg
09-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Tordoff

origins

Is derived from Thjodulf or ÞiúðulfR. Scandinavian, or specifically Old Norse, based on a personal name that figuratively means wolf folk/people. Thjo, or written correctly þjóð, means people/folk/nation/tribe. Dulf or ulf(r) means wolf. It's got nothing to do with Thor aside from the skald/writer/poet Thjodulf who mentions Loki.

distribution

Mostly Yorkshire which was once called Jórvík & fell under the predominantly Danish Vikings of the neighboring Northumbria region.

Shaw

origins

Either Saxon (sceaga) - a small woods or Gaelic (sithech) - wolf / (séaghdha) - hawk-like. It's English & Scottish.

From the Scottish > there's the Lowlands (potentially Saxon) half of Shaw/Seath which has reportedly always been a surname & then there's the Highlands (potentially Gaelic) side which apparently originated as a personal name then became a surname.

As you say Chisholm that indicates the Highlands side which if clan tales are indeed accurate originated ironically near woodlands west of Aberdeen (so may actually be Saxon) & branches/relatives extended out to Inverness which is near Saxon Chisholm.

distribution

Google

Tordykins
07-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Hi... my surname is Tordoff. Although the name is of Scandinavian origin and is uncommon in most parts of the world, it is very popular in Yorkshire, England. With the vikings having ruled that part of England it is understandable. However, the name was also linked to a place called Berry in central France so this is likely from when the vikings invaded Europe.There are lots of Tordoffs in the US also but because it's such a vast country it would seem that there aren't many :)