PDA

View Full Version : Your stories about choosing names for children

Mikula
09-27-2018, 08:37 PM
How your parents chosen the firstname for you?
How you chosen names for your children?
Write your stories about it, please!

Mikula
09-27-2018, 08:37 PM
When my parents were discussing about my firstname, before my birth, they cannot find
a name what sounds well for both of them. Finally my mother suggested one firstname and father agreed with enthusianism.
Reason was that combination of my firstname with my lastname sounds almost identical with
name of one English footballer, who was famous in that times.
To be honest, I dont play so well :)

And I decided to name my younger son as Mikuláš as a honour to my ancestors:

I live in village at Moravia, where old-settled families used family-nicknames
(perhaps could be call it as house-names).
In small communities lived during centuries several families of the same lastname.
They had common ancestors but nobody remember it, sometimes the common ancestor lived prior time of the first written church records.
Also in my home village are several typical lastnames.
It brought some complicated and funny situations when some person told about Josef Černoch but people were not sure,
whose Josef Černoch he is talking about, because in the time lived 7 different persons of the same name and lastname.
Therefore the men were nicknamed – and their nicknames got also another members of his family,
living in the same household. The nicknames was of various origin:
- By the occupation – Masar (butcher), Kovář (blacksmith) etc.
- By the firstname of ancestor – Dobis (Thobias), Vinc (Vincent) etc.
- By the lastname of previous householder – one family, living in house #52 used nickname Král, although the last holder of the lastname Král passed away in outbreak of 19th century, there.

My grandpa was born at house #21, and with the mentioned house is tied nickname Mikula.
It is dialect form of the firstname Mikuláš (Nicolaus).
And 1st holder of the house was Mikuláš (Mikula) Černoch (d. 22 Aug 1701).
In 1736 the house came into property of my ancestors, and despite they were not ČERNOCHs, they inherited the nickname MIKULA, what survived until, today.

Bobby Martnen
09-29-2018, 07:48 AM
My parents just liked the name Robert. (Bobby is a nickname for Robert in the Anglophone world)

Stanislav
10-03-2018, 03:49 PM
The name of my daughter is Olga, that is old russian name, name of are first rus (varyags) from scandian Helga. My son hase a common european name, Alexandr, as a his grandfa.

Teutone
10-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Dont know how my parents did it but I will give my children christian names.

StevenTylerAerosmith
12-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Dont know how my parents did it but I will give my children christian names.

u like these names?

salomon
judah
hirsch

Richmondbread
12-15-2018, 08:28 PM
My name was chosen because it's a family name. I was named after my 3rd GG who was from an old Virginian family. Her last name was Meade. The Meade family immigrated from Ireland to Virginia in the late 17th Century. They were probably mostly Anglo-Irish, although could have been intermarriages with Celts as well. This is evident because studying their history, their name was originally Meagh, which is Gaelic spelling. My middle name Skelton was my grandmother's maiden name. My Great-Granddaddy was John Gifford Skelton.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/93887965/marianne-old-skelton

Teutone
12-15-2018, 08:40 PM
My name was chosen because it's a family name. I was named after my 3rd GG who was from an old Virginian family. Her last name was Meade. The Meade family immigrated from Ireland to Virginia in the late 17th Century. They were probably mostly Anglo-Irish, although could have been intermarriages with Celts as well. This is evident because studying their history, their name was originally Meagh, which is Gaelic spelling. My middle name Skelton was my grandmother's maiden name. My Great-Granddaddy was John Gifford Skelton.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/93887965/marianne-old-skelton

Dafuq is meade your actual first name? And your last name is Skelton?

Richmondbread
12-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Dafuq is meade your actual first name? And your last name is Skelton?

Skelton is my middle name. My last name is Haufe.

Teutone
12-15-2018, 08:42 PM
Skelton is my middle name. My last name is Haufe.

No kiddin? Why Skelton?

StevenTylerAerosmith
12-15-2018, 08:44 PM
No kiddin? Why Skelton?

he wuz named after his skeleton

Richmondbread
12-15-2018, 08:47 PM
No kiddin? Why Skelton?

Because Skelton is another family name.

Prinses
12-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Basic asf I have the name of my grandmom. There is not really a story behind it :lol:

Teutone
12-15-2018, 08:49 PM
Because Skelton is another family name.

But skelton is a satanic name, skeltons are demons

StevenTylerAerosmith
12-15-2018, 08:53 PM
But skelton is a satanic name, skeltons are demons

teut u should name ur kids

salomon
hirsch
judah

Marinus
12-15-2018, 09:09 PM
My parents had to name me something that made sense in English, Portuguese, Castilian and be pronounceable in French, these are our "ancestral tongues".

So I ended up with a name familiar to both (Celto-)Germanic and Latin cultures, but one of which wasn't too boring either.

My kids will just get British or Anglicised first names and perhaps middle names inspired by my parents or grandparents.

Incal
12-15-2018, 09:44 PM
I was named after my mother's younger brother, who died in an accident.