PDA

View Full Version : Are you addicted to any medication?

Ancap
10-05-2018, 02:10 AM
I take Effexor XR (Venlafaxine) 150 mg and Klonopin (Clonazepam) 2 mg, and I can't stop taking Klonopin at all. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and this medication is what gives me peace, it's my "life-saver". Are you guys addicted to any other licit drug as well?

Richmondbread
10-05-2018, 02:32 AM
I'm addicted to food.

Dragoon
10-05-2018, 03:04 AM
I take Effexor XR (Venlafaxine) 150 mg and Klonopin (Clonazepam) 2 mg, and I can't stop taking Klonopin at all. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and this medication is what gives me peace, it's my "life-saver". Are you guys addicted to any other licit drug as well?

You may have drug dependence. With effexor its important to take regularly (missing a day or two will cause you to feel bad).
For clonazepam you have to go off it slowly (i.e. 0.5mg).

No idea how long youve taken each med or how severe your case is.

Ancap
10-05-2018, 04:05 AM
You may have drug dependence. With effexor its important to take regularly (missing a day or two will cause you to feel bad).
For clonazepam you have to go off it slowly (i.e. 0.5mg).

No idea how long youve taken each med or how severe your case is.

I've tried all antidepressant medications, but none of them has helped me. I've been taking those shit since 2008 when I was a little boy, and I've never been well again since then. That's why my doctor decided to start prescribing me those benzodiazepines which makes me get addicted to more than cocaine, since my case is severe as hell.

silver_surfer
10-05-2018, 04:45 AM
I dont have any kind of addiction towards any medicine, but i do keep taking anti-histamine tablets every once in a while, actually quite a lot due to our miserable hot and high humid climate throughtout the year which makes you more prone to the allergies.
Other than that, three years back i suffered from breathlessness at night and was admitted to OPD at a near by hospital. After performing countless test and checking symptoms, doctor was led to the conclusion that what i had was panic attack and prescribed me Klonopin for a month. The symptoms of this panic attack lasted me for 15 days as i almost lost hope of getting back to normal. Then as days passed i keep getting better and better and till today it has never resurfaced again. I never took any medicine that was prescribed by my doctor and I'm glad i took that decision.

Dick
10-05-2018, 05:10 AM
I'm addicted to food.

But you're so skinny.

Heather Duval
10-05-2018, 01:21 PM
I'm addicted to food.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/d6/62/10d66232ab858ec7ce50d92b700f695b.gif

The Lawspeaker
10-05-2018, 01:23 PM
No, thankfully. I am very strict for myself when it comes to any sort of medication. Pain killers, frankly, worry me.

Ylla
10-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Venlafaxine doesnt even work in reducing low mood and neither do other SSRIs.

indo-uralopean
10-05-2018, 01:37 PM
No. I drink obscene amounts of coffee though.

Gründig
10-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Heroin

The Lawspeaker
10-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Heroin

I'd knock that off if I was you. Withdrawal is going to be fucking hell. Look for medical assistance asap.

Crimean
10-05-2018, 02:11 PM
I have an addiction to activated charcoal.
I just travel sometimes and love to try foreign food, but my stomach does not share this joy.

Mr. Anybody
10-05-2018, 02:11 PM
HeroinUh those biscs..show me(huh?)

You and Teutone haha.

https://youtu.be/_IDJpB9de3E

Ancap
10-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Venlafaxine doesnt even work in reducing low mood and neither do other SSRIs.

So, what works for it?

Papastratosels26
10-05-2018, 07:38 PM
No.

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Ylla
10-05-2018, 07:55 PM
So, what works for it?

I would say therapy (cognitive) but I'm not a qualified physician, whatever works for you and you should always discuss with your Dr. Im just giving advice on the internet based on research. :) You should try other techniques that tackle the cause not just the symptoms because it seems you have become dependant.

ScaredGirl11
10-05-2018, 08:08 PM

I also suffer from anxiety, the medications i take are Prebictal and Espran but i am not addicted at all, in fact, most of the time i don't even remember that i have to take it xD

Ancap
10-05-2018, 08:10 PM
I also suffer from anxiety, the medications i take are Prebictal and Espran but i am not addicted at all, in fact, most of the time i don't even remember that i have to take it xD

I used to take Espran too, but it made me gain a lot of weight
It's a bad thing because it helped me a lot :(

Phenix
10-05-2018, 08:44 PM
If only you knew how bad things really are.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 08:47 PM
I take effexor too (225) and I think I am also addicted :victory0:

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 08:51 PM
seriously though what do you mean by "addicted" ? if you need them then you need them . dont mistake that for being addicted

İrle
10-05-2018, 08:52 PM
:)

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 08:53 PM
dont you ever stop any med by yourself abruptly. I am warning you highly

Kivan
10-05-2018, 08:56 PM
I'm addicted to food.

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/image.php?u=21454&dateline=1537203893

Dragoon
10-05-2018, 09:09 PM
seriously though what do you mean by "addicted" ? if you need them then you need them . dont mistake that for being addicted

People mistake medication addiction and dependence and tolerance. They all mean different.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 09:13 PM
People mistake medication addiction and dependence and tolerance. They all mean different.

since we need the meds we might get tricked into thinking we are "addicted" but that is not the proper word for it imo .

addicted in my eyes would be if you would be fine without them (again) but (still) want to use them and if you dont you get agressive or impatient etc. . but that is not the case for most of us I think . I dont know much about clonazepam that OP uses though

but be careful about Ativan/Tavor/Lorazepam and similar drugs (Benzodiazepines) . they really can make you addicted

Livin
10-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Coca cola and women!

ScaredGirl11
10-05-2018, 09:32 PM
I used to take Espran too, but it made me gain a lot of weight
It's a bad thing because it helped me a lot :(

Seriously? Why Espran made you gain a lot of weight?

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 09:35 PM

espran is escitalopram ?

I took it too

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
10-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Why can't you guys just do alcohol or tobacco like normal people? I feel like I need to have a degree in pharmacology to understand your posts and the shit people put in their bodies nowadays.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Why can't you guys just do alcohol or tobacco like normal people? I feel like I need to have a degree in pharmacology to understand your posts and the stuff people are taking nowadays.

alcohol is one of the reasons why I have become fucked up in the head . alcohol is a depressant and you can even get alcohol psychosis like I did

ScaredGirl11
10-05-2018, 09:38 PM
espran is escitalopram ?

I took it too

I think yes.

10-05-2018, 09:45 PM
alcohol is one of the reasons why I have become fucked up in the head . alcohol is a depressant and you can even get alcohol psychosis like I did

My grandmother drinks two to three glasses of wine everyday for more than 60 years, she is 92 years old nowadays and more mentally sane and energetic than youngsters hooked on pills and anti-depressives who look and behave like walking dead. Depression is a choice not a sickness, it is up to people to get over it.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 09:50 PM
My grandmother drinks two to three glasses of wine everyday for more than 60 years, she is 92 years old nowadays and more mentally sane and energetic than youngsters hooked on pills and anti-depressives who look and behave like walking dead. Depression is a choice not a sickness, it is up to people to get over it.

I used to drink every weekend a lot of drinks . sometimes 3 days in a row . I was in the clubs from thursday to saturday sometimes . alcohol is fucked up . mild drinking like your grandma does wont do much problems I guess but alcohol is dangerous

and depression is not a choice but an illness dude . dont say stuff like that . many people who are depressed (or other illnesses) are born with it or biologically prone to develop it . in my case I know 100% that I am born with it because I already had problems with depression , anxiety , aggression , and mild psychotic things when I was little . people like me are born with a hormonal imbalance in their brain

ScaredGirl11
10-05-2018, 09:53 PM

What a stupid comment bro :picard1: Depression is lack of good levels of seratonine, it is a mental issue indeed.

Insuperable
10-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Thank god I am not addicted to anything except exercising/physical activity (which is a good thing, a good type of addiction).

Only fucking retards take meds.

Longbowman
10-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Straight edge crew, what up. No vices - don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs (never have done either of the latter), don't take medication (painkillers after major injuries excepted) and don't even eat fast or sugary food.

10-05-2018, 10:00 PM
I used to drink every weekend a lot of drinks . sometimes 3 days in a row . I was in the clubs from thursday to saturday sometimes . alcohol is fucked up . mild drinking like your grandma does wont do much problems I guess but alcohol is dangerous

and depression is not a choice but an illness dude . dont say stuff like that . many people who are depressed (or other illnesses) are born with it or biologically prone to develop it . in my case I know 100% that I am born with it because I already had problems with depression , anxiety , aggression , and mild psychotic things when I was little . people like me are born with a hormonal imbalance in their brain

What a stupid comment bro :picard1: Depression is lack of good levels of seratonine, it is a mental issue indeed.

Depression is a choice, not a chemical imbalance in the brain. Anyone suffering from so called "depression" has the ability to be cured if they choose to be responsible. It is just a standard nowadays in our modern society to look for negative behaviours or groups of behaviours and then assign them a label as a "disease".
Too many people think they are depressed when in fact they are not experiencing anything worse than all the others that get up in the morning and get on with life; but keep convincing yourselves that you are indeed really depressed and finding more excuses to keep on taking pills, that's what the pharmacists want you to believe anyway...

Benyzero
10-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Im on crack coke 24/7

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Depression is a choice, not a chemical imbalance in the brain. Anyone suffering from so called "depression" has the ability to be cured if they choose to be responsible. It is just a standard nowadays in our modern society to look for negative behaviours or groups of behaviours and then assign them a label as a "disease".
Too many people think they are depressed when in fact they are not experiencing anything worse than all the others that get up in the morning and get on with life; but keep convincing yourselves that you are indeed really depressed and finding more excuses to keep on taking pills, that's what the pharmacists want you to believe anyway...

I dont like people who have some stress and say they are "depressed" but depression IS a serious illness and as I told you I know very well that I am ill since I was a child and so are many more people . what you are describing are some individuals who are not really depressed (or mildly depressed only) and dont have real depression . you can not know it like me since I am in touch with these things so I dont blame you but you are being disrespectful to us people who really suffer

ScaredGirl11
10-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Ok, lots of people are saying that they have depression nowadays just as an excuse to be lazy and ungrateful. But i don't thint that this the case of everyone....

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Ok, lots of people are saying that they have depression nowadays just as an excuse to be lazy and ungrateful. But i don't thint that this the case of everyone....

people who dont have the illness can simply not understand . it doesnt matter what we say they will not understand . only people who have an illness can understand

ScaredGirl11
10-05-2018, 10:08 PM
people who dont have the illness can simply not understand . it doesnt matter what we say they will not understand . only people who have an illness can understand

True. It is the same of religious people, atheists will not understand it if they never had an spiritual experience.

Benyzero
10-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Aside from the joke be careful with that, you got use to that too much you don't know how is life without it, maybe you don't even need those pills that much, I had anxiety so I took antidepressants and tranquillizer for a year approx around 18 , maybe it felt it provides some shelter, but you not necessarily need that imo. In some cases it's just the attitude about the problem..

Abdelnour
10-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Nope. Straight as an arrow.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 10:10 PM
True. It is the same of religious people, atheists will not understand it if they never had an spiritual experience.

thats a different topic but people who dont have mental problems just simply cant grasp it . only some individuals will have the ability to at least imagine what it could be like but most people will not be able to

it is just how it is . I dont give a fuck about it anymore and just hope for them they will never have to go through the shit we go through even though it would be nice to see how they will do once it would hit them . they would be like "man now I know how you feel . I am sorry"

10-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Is it just a mere coincidence that people from the third world and people who live in the worst and most deplorable conditions never suffer from so called depression when they actually do have every single reason to be depressed? People say it is a chemical unbalance in the brain but I rather say that our modern society has become too spoiled.

Teutone
10-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Thank god, no.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Is it just a mere coincidence that people from the third world and people who live in the worst and most deplorable conditions never suffer from so called depression when they actually do have every single reason to be depressed? People say it is a chemical unbalance in the brain but I rather say that our modern society has become too spoiled.

who says that they arent depressed ?

there is a stigma to mental illness in those countries I think . one of the reasons we dont hear much about it but more important than that in such countries people are trying to survive so they will be in a bad situation mentally either way

bro trust me real depression is a very serious illness . many depressed people land also in hospitals . it is not a modern day hipster shit or something ...it is serious shit

as someone who doesnt have it you can not understand it so I dont blame you but you have to trust me ...I have it and have suffered a lot in my life from it

Ancap
10-05-2018, 10:24 PM
I take effexor too (225) and I think I am also addicted :victory0:

Only Effexor or together with a benzo?

Ancap
10-05-2018, 10:26 PM

It made me eat a lot.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Only Effexor or together with a benzo?

I have Tavor/Ativan for emergency situations only (severe panic attacks)

I take effexor in the morning and perazine/taxilan at night

Ancap
10-05-2018, 10:30 PM

I am Brazilian.

indo-uralopean
10-05-2018, 10:38 PM
This thread makes me want to try some opioids. Coffee has become boring.

Seya
10-05-2018, 10:44 PM
nose drops

Ylla
10-05-2018, 10:47 PM

Thats why I left my job as a clinical pharmacist. It became about "hitting targets" rather than patient care.

Insuperable
10-05-2018, 10:48 PM
I dont like people who have some stress and say they are "depressed" but depression IS a serious illness and as I told you I know very well that I am ill since I was a child and so are many more people . what you are describing are some individuals who are not really depressed (or mildly depressed only) and dont have real depression . you can not know it like me since I am in touch with these things so I dont blame you but you are being disrespectful to us people who really suffer

Depression is obviously an illness, but quite a distinct type of illness which is still researched (which came first chicken or egg). Stress can turn genes on/off and induce depression making it inheritable. I believe it can be turned off with life style changes and the power of will in the first place, but that is just me.

Dragoon
10-05-2018, 10:49 PM

Old people used to be outside more, move more, no consoles, videogames, computers, smartphones, and certain foods were healthier, less people lived in cities, less lights, and so on.
So above listed things might play a significant role on mental health. Some studies also claim religious people are happier on average.
Society has pushed "progress" without paying enough attention to the downsides.

As for your claim about depression, disagreed. There is a difference between "im depressed" vs clinical depression.

Dick
10-05-2018, 10:49 PM
nose drops

What for. You barely have a nose. It's so small.

Dick
10-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Depression is obviously an illness, but quite a distinct type of illness which is still researched (which came first chicken or egg). Stress can turn genes on/off and induce depression making it inheritable. I believe it can be turned off with life style changes and the power of will in the first place, but that is just me.

Egg

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 10:51 PM

to a certain degree it can yes thats why there is therapy . but it only goes so far . when you have chronic severe depressions then you can make any changes or any activities you want it will not go away . needless to say that it is hard for a depressed person to even go and do such stuff anyway .

you are talking about mild depression which can be cured with some lifestyle changes , more sun , more exersize etc. but when the depression is too strong then this doesnt do much anymore . trust me I tried it myself for years

most people dont even know what real depression is like and some are fooling themselves in being "depressed" only because they have some stress or sadness or something

Seya
10-05-2018, 10:52 PM
What for. You barely have a nose. It's so small.

that's why i need them

Insuperable
10-05-2018, 10:57 PM
to a certain degree it can yes thats why there is therapy . but it only goes so far . when you have chronic severe depressions then you can make any changes or any activities you want it will not go away . needless to say that it is hard for a depressed person to even go and do such stuff anyway .

you are talking about mild depression which can be cured with some lifestyle changes , more sun , more exersize etc. but when the depression is too strong then this doesnt do much anymore . trust me I tried it myself for years

most people dont even know what real depression is like and some are fooling themselves in being "depressed" only because they have some stress or sadness or something

DId you have some bad things happened in your life which triggered your depression or you felt like you were always depressed? Both types can have genetic components to it, so I am just asking out of curiosity.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 11:03 PM
DId you have some bad things happened in your life which triggered your depression or you felt like you were always depressed? Both types can have genetic components to it, so I am just asking out of curiosity.

since very early childhood I had bad experiences and family problems . when I was 3 years old my grandma died in front of my eyes which shocked me and not much later we came to germany from turkey . and then my father terrorized us and beat my mom in front of me and often hit me too and he told me things that you dont tell a child etc.

I was seeing a psychologist for the first time when I was 7 or so

but my siblings also had things happened to them and we have the same dad but they are not like me for example . I am sure I am born with certain things . I also dont have only depression but also anxiety especially hypochondria and I also have mild schizophrenia

Insuperable
10-05-2018, 11:29 PM
since very early childhood I had bad experiences and family problems . when I was 3 years old my grandma died in front of my eyes which shocked me and not much later we came to germany from turkey . and then my father terrorized us and beat my mom in front of me and often hit me too and he told me things that you dont tell a child etc.

I was seeing a psychologist for the first time when I was 7 or so

but my siblings also had things happened to them and we have the same dad but they are not like me for example . I am sure I am born with certain things . I also dont have only depression but also anxiety especially hypochondria and I also have mild schizophrenia

Feels bad man. I also had quite bad things happened to me during my childhood. One night I was awaken by people (mom, aunt etc) crying and they told me my father died. Afterwards my brother was accidenly killed by car and I found him in the grass near the road all bloody and broken, image which will stay with me for the rest of my life like it happened yesterday. I think I fell into depression, but only for a short time if I remember correctly. I had luck of having a good company and good things happening to me afterwards.

Hadouken
10-05-2018, 11:33 PM
Feels bad man. I also had quite bad things happen during my childhood. One night I was awaken by people (mom, aunt etc) crying and they told me my father died. Afterwards my brother was accidenly killed by car and I found him in the grass near the road all bloody and broken, image which will stay with me for the rest of my life like it happened yesterday. I think I fell into depression, but only for a short time if I remember correctly. I had luck of having a good company and good things happening to me afterwards.

sorry for your loss

well as you see even though you also had bad things happen to you you have been "only" in a depressive phase . if you were born with it (or biologically prone to) you would develop depression and possibly other mental ilnesses too even if nothing at all would have happened to you . when I told my doc that I have had bad things happen to me since childhood he said that nowdays it is known (to docs) that mental illness often is born too and that you (can) get it even when everything in your life went well . thats why people like me have to take medication even if it is temporarily . (but I think I will need to take it for a long time)

Dick
10-06-2018, 02:50 AM
that's why i need them

kiss on little nose :-*

Gründig
10-06-2018, 02:51 AM

Kiss on little toes

Mr. Anybody
10-06-2018, 03:03 AM

Its haplogroup I1?

Larali
10-10-2018, 10:36 PM

You're not "addicted" if you are taking the medication as prescribed.

I've been on both of those drugs you mentioned, plus many more over the years, but have been happily med-free for several years. Despite what doctors say, you CAN completely recover from depression and anxiety. It takes a lot of inner work and self-care. Message me if you want to talk.

BTW, Effexor is scary, never go off it cold-turkey.

Joso
11-17-2018, 11:51 PM
You're not "addicted" if you are taking the medication as prescribed.

I've been on both of those drugs you mentioned, plus many more over the years, but have been happily med-free for several years. Despite what doctors say, you CAN completely recover from depression and anxiety. It takes a lot of inner work and self-care. Message me if you want to talk.

BTW, Effexor is scary, never go off it cold-turkey.

cool, thanks for the information

Karkurdu
11-17-2018, 11:53 PM
Pussy addict here.

Seth MacFarlane
11-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Weed lol ;)

Lafaur
11-18-2018, 12:16 AM
I take Dextromethorphan and Doxylamine to pass out soundly at night, I got the willies last time I ran out of Succinate

Caveat Emptor
11-18-2018, 12:18 AM
Oh thankfully not - I used to drink a lot of energy drinks (in addition to regular coffee! not instead of it) while studying but I quit this now

Richmondbread
11-21-2018, 07:53 PM
FOOD

Stratagos
11-21-2018, 08:10 PM
fascism

SaraJhones
11-29-2018, 02:51 PM
My brother is addicted to alcohol. Yes, we tried many ways to get rid of this bad habit, but nothing helped. Now we are looking for a rehab center. And it's our last hope, honestly. Found this article https://addictionresource.com/drug-rehab/men-only/
Maybe someone heard something about such rehabs because want to know someone's personal experience. Thanks

Freeroostah
11-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Cannabis :o

Erronkari
11-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Coffee (I drink too much... minimum 4 cups per day...) :(

Valedictorian
11-29-2018, 03:11 PM
I was addicted to cigarettes for 2 years. I haven't smoked a single cig in over 2 months.

Prinses
11-29-2018, 03:14 PM
No I hate medication and even if I have pain I dont use antibiotics

Kivan
11-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Products that contains caffeine.

nittionia
11-29-2018, 04:10 PM
no addictions to medication but i still can't stop sucking my fingers at night since i was a baby. :(

MirkosMangle
06-30-2021, 03:53 AM
I can't call it addicted, but i buy viagra online and use it when i need it. I also take painkillers for my headaches sometimes. Again, i can't say i am addicted if it happens few times a month only, right? I am addicted to sweets, beers and beautiful women, can admit that)

MechtoidAfalouHG
06-30-2021, 04:36 AM
Coke is the only drug that’s okay to take. Everything else is low life cockroach drugs

Incal
08-13-2022, 05:48 PM
I'm addicted to food.

Quoted for further proof.

Incal
08-13-2022, 05:50 PM
FOOD

x2

Celestia
08-13-2022, 05:56 PM
No. Took antidepressants around 5 years and didn’t like how I felt when I stopped taking them. I haven’t touched them since.

Ylla
08-17-2022, 06:14 PM
No. Took antidepressants around 5 years and didn’t like how I felt when I stopped taking them. I haven’t touched them since.

Same here, I took sertraline last year after being in a very dark place. It wasn’t a great experience. Counselling and family support has helped me more than anything. Finding a good therapist is so important, it has completely changed my life. :)

Sylvanas
08-17-2022, 06:29 PM
No

Celestia
08-17-2022, 07:33 PM
Same here, I took sertraline last year after being in a very dark place. It wasn’t a great experience. Counselling and family support has helped me more than anything. Finding a good therapist is so important, it has completely changed my life. :)

I never felt comfortable with a therapist but talking it out with someone I trust (and from a distance) has helped. Working out and being active outdoors has helped me the most. I think people should try and find a natural way to help whether through therapy or exercise before taking on antidepressants. However I would never shame someone for taking them either.

Ylla
08-17-2022, 08:14 PM
I never felt comfortable with a therapist but talking it out with someone I trust (and from a distance) has helped. Working out and being active outdoors has helped me the most. I think people should try and find a natural way to help whether through therapy or exercise before taking on antidepressants. However I would never shame someone for taking them either.

Yes for sure, I genuinely think everybody should get counselling, it’s not just for those going through a tough time, just having that professional support and guidance could help anybody. Yes exercise is helping me a lot too, I now have a personal trainer and a plan. Nature therapy too of course. The relief I’ve felt after my first session has been unimaginable. I think all it took was to get all my emotions out there to a professional. I very much agree that medication should be considered last.

Celestia
08-17-2022, 08:24 PM
Yes for sure, I genuinely think everybody should get counselling, it’s not just for those going through a tough time, just having that professional support and guidance could help anybody. Yes exercise is helping me a lot too, I now have a personal trainer and a plan. Nature therapy too of course. The relief I’ve felt after my first session has been unimaginable. I think all it took was to get all my emotions out there to a professional. I very much agree that medication should be considered last.

That’s wonderful, I’m happy to hear!
I’m not completely against counseling. I think it can be very helpful especially for couples. I think it would’ve helped my last relationship if we had tried it.
I’ve been contemplating going to a grief counselor but I can’t get myself to do it.

Ylla
08-17-2022, 08:35 PM
That’s wonderful, I’m happy to hear!
I’m not completely against counseling. I think it can be very helpful especially for couples. I think it would’ve helped my last relationship if we had tried it.
I’ve been contemplating going to a grief counselor but I can’t get myself to do it.

If you think it could help you, then I would recommend it but only when you are ready. :)
I was also against it at first but then I found myself in a desperate situation.

frankhammer
08-17-2022, 09:14 PM

Many people can't understand how anything can help (can't see the forest through the trees analogy). Their heads being so full of negative thoughts and the underlying stress. So exercise etc. makes no sense. Drugs do make sense somewhat, as most people use some form of drug for escapism.

I would also suggest men could struggle worse with a solution that involves talking with a stranger. If we have lost the ability to make sense of a situation, we have lost control. Every decision from this point on is a reaction based upon emotions, which I have found to be a male's worse case scenario. We don't do this well. This is just my opinion based upon situations I have seen develop in my life.

Regarding the op's question, no. None at all, ever.

Tsuin
08-17-2022, 09:16 PM
No

Ylla
08-17-2022, 09:31 PM
Many people can't understand how anything can help (can't see the forest through the trees analogy). Their heads being so full of negative thoughts and the underlying stress. So exercise etc. makes no sense. Drugs do make sense somewhat, as most people use some form of drug for escapism.

I would also suggest men could struggle worse with a solution that involves talking with a stranger. If we have lost the ability to make sense of a situation, we have lost control. Every decision from this point on is a reaction based upon emotions, which I have found to be a male's worse case scenario. We don't do this well. This is just my opinion based upon situations I have seen develop in my life.

Regarding the op's question, no. None at all, ever.

I think talking to someone outside of your friendship/family circle gives you better perspective. It could take several sessions to achieve that. The therapist works together with the client/patient by moving the leaves away one by one so that you begin to see clearly, like the analogy you mentioned. Exercise has been proven to alleviate stress, but you are right, that alone will not work in the long run. Those in major depression and grief are not well equipped to deal with it themselves, like you said they are so overwhelmed by their negative thoughts, the counselling will simply give them the power back. Such people require external intervention imo as they are incapable in their current state - assistance to talk through their problems, overcome maladaptive thinking patterns but also adopt psychological tools to prevent relapse.

Faklon
08-17-2022, 11:10 PM
Cigarillos, Electronic Cigarettes, Coffee, Sweet Tea, Modern understanding of Cynicism

Faklon
08-17-2022, 11:18 PM

Maybe, I'm in the wrong here and I've thought about both medication and shrinks in the past.

But, both the thought that I will need another person to tell me who I am and the thought that I'm funding big pharma make me more depressive.

+Both my mother and a good friend are psychologists, both are very needy people.

Voskos
08-17-2022, 11:43 PM
I'm addicted to oxygen. Love snifing that shit day and night like a junkey.

Celestia
08-18-2022, 12:58 AM

+Both my mother and a good friend are psychologists, both are very needy people.

xD

calxpal
08-18-2022, 01:07 AM
Luckily no

Ylla
08-18-2022, 06:28 AM
Maybe, I'm in the wrong here and I've thought about both medication and shrinks in the past.

But, both the thought that I will need another person to tell me who I am and the thought that I'm funding big pharma make me more depressive.

They are not telling you who you are, it is patient-led and you can opt out any time if you feel uncomfortable. Anyway, the reason I am sharing my experience is to possibly help those going through the same thing and all of us will go through it at some point, unless they are lying.
Also as a parent, you want to seek help for anything before it starts affecting your children. My children deserve the best version of me and I will make sure they always have that. :)

Faklon
08-18-2022, 10:11 AM
xD

Well, my mom is a social worker so I'm not sure if she classifies as a proper shrink.

The other guy is a proper practicing shrink, a good old friend but a very bad consumer with a martyr complex, buys every new Apple flagship and then cries that he doesn't have money and how everyone misjudges him. How are you going to guide people if you cannot put some constraints upon yourself?

Anyways, both are very good talkers.

Faklon
08-18-2022, 10:21 AM
They are not telling you who you are, it is patient-led and you can opt out any time if you feel uncomfortable. Anyway, the reason I am sharing my experience is to possibly help those going through the same thing and all of us will go through it at some point, unless they are lying.
Also as a parent, you want to seek help for anything before it starts affecting your children. My children deserve the best version of me and I will make sure they always have that. :)

This is also what my mother used to say "Inside you, there is bad Faklon and good Faklon and you have to bring the best one out, etc, etc", felt totally subjective and manipulative.

I see no good and no bad version of myself, I'm a sack of meat and bones floating into space who can only see a moral and an immoral version of hiself.

Celestia
08-18-2022, 12:53 PM
Well, my mom is a social worker so I'm not sure if she classifies as a proper shrink.

The other guy is a proper practicing shrink, a good old friend but a very bad consumer with a martyr complex, buys every new Apple flagship and then cries that he doesn't have money and how everyone misjudges him. How are you going to guide people if you cannot put some constraints upon yourself?

Anyways, both are very good talkers.

I had a chuckle because when I studied psychology our professor would joke and say “if you have an interest in becoming a psychologist, you probably needed one when you were younger” and there’s a lot of truth in that lol.

I think that’s why I’m hesitant to see a therapist. We all have our issues, they’re just trained on what they *think* is the appropriate way to respond. It isn’t genuine compassion for the most part. I would rather seek guidance from someone who went through a similar situation.

Ylla
08-19-2022, 06:53 AM
This is also what my mother used to say "Inside you, there is bad Faklon and good Faklon and you have to bring the best one out, etc, etc", felt totally subjective and manipulative.

I see no good and no bad version of myself, I'm a sack of meat and bones floating into space who can only see a moral and an immoral version of hiself.

It’s not supposed to be taken that literally though. When I was going through grief and depression, I was secluded, quiet and interacted less with those around me. Being the best version for those around me just means being present and a happy person. You are looking too deep into it.
Lots of children suffer because their parents had unresolved issues, those children would have benefited if their parents got help immediately - that’s what I mean by best version. One that is thriving and able to enjoy her life and children again.
Anyway I am not an psychologist, you’re bringing your own issues into this conversation.

Ylla
08-19-2022, 07:22 AM
I had a chuckle because when I studied psychology our professor would joke and say “if you have an interest in becoming a psychologist, you probably needed one when you were younger” and there’s a lot of truth in that lol.

I think that’s why I’m hesitant to see a therapist. We all have our issues, they’re just trained on what they *think* is the appropriate way to respond. It isn’t genuine compassion for the most part. I would rather seek guidance from someone who went through a similar situation.

Yes, that was exactly my view before. It is definitely hit and miss
But you’d be surprised to find there are many counsellors that do have compassion. Those going through the same situation are often as lost and vulnerable as you and not able to offer much help. It wasn’t something I thought would work, just thought I’d give it a go, along with some other life changes. But it helped.
I hope you are able to find whatever works for you. :) <3

Faklon
08-19-2022, 03:40 PM

This is also my view, maybe it is distorted but I'm not totally convinced. I'm more convinced by ascetic monks (at least when they weren't just public servants) because they at least have managed to overcome their own temptations. Otherwise, I love psychoanalysis and even play the Apricity psychologist sometimes, sometimes trolling.

It’s not supposed to be taken that literally though. When I was going through grief and depression, I was secluded, quiet and interacted less with those around me. Being the best version for those around me just means being present and a happy person. You are looking too deep into it.
Lots of children suffer because their parents had unresolved issues, those children would have benefited if their parents got help immediately - that’s what I mean by best version. One that is thriving and able to enjoy her life and children again.
Anyway I am not an psychologist, you’re bringing your own issues into this conversation.

Mate, you are putting a couple of words together that for me will always sound subjective/multidimensional. What is happiness, how can I act like a happy person, the notion of acting happy annoys me and makes me unhappy, I will put a smile up when I'm present during a sales deal but I don't want to act in front of my "own" people"
I respect that you have to be present and fair to your kids and good that you managed to achieve it. This is something objective.

I'm bringing my own issues which happen to be my own experiences. Maybe it is indeed my "issues", maybe I'm not impressed by my mother, maybe I'm jealous of my friend, maybe I'm okay with my issues and regard them as normal when they may not be, maybe I'm a bastard, maybe "maybe" is an abstract chaotic notion that I can configure to make my customer happy when I'm thinking about brand new iPhones.

Maybe I'm a bastard, idk.

Hulu
08-19-2022, 04:17 PM
Having somebody else pointing out your flaws and showing a way how to deal with them can be helpful. Sometimes people can get too much in their head and need an outsider's perspective. It's up to them how much they can benefit from it. I can give the best advice with a calm mind. Somebody else has done it for me as well. Sometime you know what's best for you but you're not there yet. But it's good to have that knowledge for when you're ready.

Tongio
08-19-2022, 04:32 PM
I am a BLUE pill adict.

Ylla
08-20-2022, 09:24 AM
This is also my view, maybe it is distorted but I'm not totally convinced. I'm more convinced by ascetic monks (at least when they weren't just public servants) because they at least have managed to overcome their own temptations. Otherwise, I love psychoanalysis and even play the Apricity psychologist sometimes, sometimes trolling.

Mate, you are putting a couple of words together that for me will always sound subjective/multidimensional. What is happiness, how can I act like a happy person, the notion of acting happy annoys me and makes me unhappy, I will put a smile up when I'm present during a sales deal but I don't want to act in front of my "own" people"
I respect that you have to be present and fair to your kids and good that you managed to achieve it. This is something objective.

I'm bringing my own issues which happen to be my own experiences. Maybe it is indeed my "issues", maybe I'm not impressed by my mother, maybe I'm jealous of my friend, maybe I'm okay with my issues and regard them as normal when they may not be, maybe I'm a bastard, maybe "maybe" is an abstract chaotic notion that I can configure to make my customer happy when I'm thinking about brand new iPhones.

Maybe I'm a bastard, idk.

Maybe it’s easier to define as something that’s not your usual personality. I definitely don’t define behaviours as good or bad, but if you’ve previously been full of life and then experience a change in mood that deteriorates your physical health, that’s worrying.
The DSM5 requires your symptoms to last for 2 weeks for a diagnosis. Mine were happening for several months after my miscarriage. I was diagnosed with Postnatal depression
What your mum says doesn’t sound right to me. It seems like she has a problem with your actual personality, rather than concern for a mental health issue.
I was able to recognise a difference in my mood because I wasn’t someone who was prone to depression. it will be different if you’ve had chronic depression for as long as you remember though. I guess it’s easier to seek help when there’s a stark difference and you able to recognise that change.

catgeorge
08-20-2022, 10:21 AM
Yes - addicted to 2-3 glasses of red wine a night.

Victor
08-20-2022, 10:46 AM
Yes - addicted to 2-3 glasses of red wine a night.

Does not sound like an addiction, more like a blessing xD

Victor
08-20-2022, 11:03 AM
Never been addicted to any medication. I use pain killers very rare in a case of some severe pain and that's all. In 2011 I had some motivational problems, I was damn stressed, no will and power, so I went to the doctor, he prescribed me few types of pills. I even bought them for some 100 euros. I've postponed the day to start drinking them for 1-2 weeks, then I read the description and just threw all of them to the trashcan. I coped with that shit myself after all xD

Faklon
08-20-2022, 07:35 PM
Maybe it’s easier to define as something that’s not your usual personality. I definitely don’t define behaviours as good or bad, but if you’ve previously been full of life and then experience a change in mood that deteriorates your physical health, that’s worrying.
The DSM5 requires your symptoms to last for 2 weeks for a diagnosis. Mine were happening for several months after my miscarriage. I was diagnosed with Postnatal depression
What your mum says doesn’t sound right to me. It seems like she has a problem with your actual personality, rather than concern for a mental health issue.
I was able to recognise a difference in my mood because I wasn’t someone who was prone to depression. it will be different if you’ve had chronic depression for as long as you remember though. I guess it’s easier to seek help when there’s a stark difference and you able to recognise that change.

I'm glad you were able to get help.
My mother used to say these things when I was like 10yo, nowadays we will speak once every 6 months and she will mostly tell me about her retirement plans and the new internet app she found.
I like how you wanna also play my psychologist :P, you are welcome to do it, shows empathy. I'm just expressing my skepticism when it comes to psychologists in the role of paid single-serving friends, displaying some real-life examples. Maybe I'm wrong or my examples are not the best.

If you ask me, I have certainly received advice from people that helped me define my life. The most relevant example is probably "one step at a time" by a 70yo electronics professor.

We were trying to build some electronics and I was trying hard to complete a project fast, go from zero to hero, but I was failing miserably. He told me that when I do something, I should take a breath, realize the level that I have reached, and steadily keep moving forward, go one step at a time and the project will be completed in no time. It worked and I'm doing this with everything in my life, even here in Apruz I may take 5-10 seconds to review my posts after posting them.

Another piece of advice, maybe not as fundamental but it can relate to Apruz and it is also quite funny. I was in a pub as an exchange student in the UK during the economic crisis, being depressed by both Greek politics and the way Greeks were portrayed in the West (the whole PIIGS, lazy Greeks situation). Some boomer-tier drunk guy comes and asks me what is wrong, I explained to him my situation and a discussion similar to this followed:
-I see, are you hungry?
-No
-Are you handicapped?
-No
-So you are just a celebrity correct?
-It's not like this...
-How it is not? The media used to trash celebrity "A" last week, now they honor her. Don't be butthurt, if you put some good work together you have a greater chance to get recognized.
-Eh
-The way I see it you are a young man with nothing to lose, no real constraints, who can do anything he wants.

I trashed this guy and I deeply regret it. Over the next days, I stopped caring about the media and even used some of this fame to my benefit (started configuring jokes around it, and people believed me when I debunked some stereotypes).

Now, if I were to compare this advice with what I and only I believe I would get from low-tier psychologists:

Instead of "one step at a time", I believe that I would get something like that I should find a stable and organized version of myself. I'm not stable and no person in the world is, we are constantly moving and changing, it is only tools that remain stable until they get rusty. "One step at a time" is the tool, not myself.

Instead of a boomer offending me, I believe that I would get someone telling me to find a safe space and start sweeping things under the carpet, if he offended he would risk losing a customer. Ultimately, he would show me the way I can feel more comfortable but not the way I can actually become stronger. Stereotypes will always exist and a lot of the time there is a fair reason for them to exist, if you cancel them you also cancel critical thinking (like it happens nowadays). The problem lies with the media abusing them for sales and the idiots falling for them.

Anyways, this is my impression.
Maybe I'm wrong and there are actually some good psychologists who can help people. A relevant question may be the percentage they make out of the total.

Ylla
08-21-2022, 10:19 AM
I'm glad you were able to get help.
My mother used to say these things when I was like 10yo, nowadays we will speak once every 6 months and she will mostly tell me about her retirement plans and the new internet app she found.
I like how you wanna also play my psychologist :P, you are welcome to do it, shows empathy. I'm just expressing my skepticism when it comes to psychologists in the role of paid single-serving friends, displaying some real-life examples. Maybe I'm wrong or my examples are not the best.

If you ask me, I have certainly received advice from people that helped me define my life. The most relevant example is probably "one step at a time" by a 70yo electronics professor.

We were trying to build some electronics and I was trying hard to complete a project fast, go from zero to hero, but I was failing miserably. He told me that when I do something, I should take a breath, realize the level that I have reached, and steadily keep moving forward, go one step at a time and the project will be completed in no time. It worked and I'm doing this with everything in my life, even here in Apruz I may take 5-10 seconds to review my posts after posting them.

Another piece of advice, maybe not as fundamental but it can relate to Apruz and it is also quite funny. I was in a pub as an exchange student in the UK during the economic crisis, being depressed by both Greek politics and the way Greeks were portrayed in the West (the whole PIIGS, lazy Greeks situation). Some boomer-tier drunk guy comes and asks me what is wrong, I explained to him my situation and a discussion similar to this followed:
-I see, are you hungry?
-No
-Are you handicapped?
-No
-So you are just a celebrity correct?
-It's not like this...
-How it is not? The media used to trash celebrity "A" last week, now they honor her. Don't be butthurt, if you put some good work together you have a greater chance to get recognized.
-Eh
-The way I see it you are a young man with nothing to lose, no real constraints, who can do anything he wants.

I trashed this guy and I deeply regret it. Over the next days, I stopped caring about the media and even used some of this fame to my benefit (started configuring jokes around it, and people believed me when I debunked some stereotypes).

Now, if I were to compare this advice with what I and only I believe I would get from low-tier psychologists:

Instead of "one step at a time", I believe that I would get something like that I should find a stable and organized version of myself. I'm not stable and no person in the world is, we are constantly moving and changing, it is only tools that remain stable until they get rusty. "One step at a time" is the tool, not myself.

Instead of a boomer offending me, I believe that I would get someone telling me to find a safe space and start sweeping things under the carpet, if he offended he would risk losing a customer. Ultimately, he would show me the way I can feel more comfortable but not the way I can actually become stronger. Stereotypes will always exist and a lot of the time there is a fair reason for them to exist, if you cancel them you also cancel critical thinking (like it happens nowadays). The problem lies with the media abusing them for sales and the idiots falling for them.

Anyways, this is my impression.
Maybe I'm wrong and there are actually some good psychologists who can help people. A relevant question may be the percentage they make out of the total.

No I completely understand your concern, you are revealing yourself at your most vulnerable when you are can be easily manipulated. you want to make sure the therapist has your well-being as priority and offers good advice rather than exploiting you to make money. The advice I’d give is to access a database of local counsellors that have experience in dealing with patients who have gone through the same thing as you. Statistically, they know what works and what doesn’t. They will have different approaches that you can try based on your personality type. Think of it this way, talking with someone who has gone through the same thing is just one person, one perspective, a therapist has spoken to thousands in your situation, they are more aware of what approaches achieve success.
And yes I agree, nobody is stable and organised all the time for example, and we all relapse down the road, I know I do some days, but the goal is to be functional in ways that are not affecting your well-being and those around you.
Many counsellors have also been through it themselves, not all are in it for money, for example many who work with those addicted to alcohol were ex alcoholics themselves who wanted to change their life around and help people.
Imo there’s nothing to lose with giving it a go (except money lol), the more expensive the session, the better advice and you may have to try several.

oszkar07
09-04-2022, 07:44 PM
Not to any medications.
I tend to avoid medication,even will avoid using pain killers unless I really need to.

I often drink a red wine with dinner but Im trying not to do this every night.

Your Old Comrade
10-30-2023, 02:52 PM
No, thankfully. I am very strict for myself when it comes to any sort of medication. Pain killers, frankly, worry me.

Thankfully not.

BakersfieldChimp
10-30-2023, 05:49 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth out in my early twenties, I got ten Vicodins to be used "as needed". I took a couple the next day. The second day after my oral surgery I didn't think I needed one until the afternoon. Then I thought. " I have an extra one from the one I didn't take this morning. Maybe two will work better." That thought alone made me realize that I better switch to ibuprofen. The only mistake I made was giving the rest to a friend who I shouldn't have given them to.

My takeaways are it easy for people to fall into drug dependence by just acting on a few bad impulses. Equally important, never give your spare pain pills to someone too interested in your spare pain pills. I did not turn him into an addict. However, i did enable his addiction for a day or two.

Tsuin
10-30-2023, 07:10 PM
No