PDA

View Full Version : Who looks more alike: Brits and French or Japanese and Koreans?

Tooting Carmen
10-10-2018, 10:09 PM
This is an interesting comparison, as both pairs involve an island nation versus a continental nation, and in both cases (at least to trained eyes) the former are noticeably lighter-pigmented than the latter. So, which is the answer?

Ayetooey
10-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Brits only really resemble Northern French IMO, I'd say Japanese and Koreans. Japanese and Koreans overlap quite a lot, if you had said Japanese and southern Chinese or something this would have been a lot more debatable.

Tooting Carmen
10-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Brits only really resemble Northern French IMO, I'd say Japanese and Koreans. Japanese and Koreans overlap quite a lot, if you had said Japanese and southern Chinese or something this would have been a lot more debatable.

I do agree that most of France apart from the North is more similar to Northern Italy and to a lesser extent Northeastern Spain than to Britain, but still I think Koreans do look different from the Japanese too (rounder and darker as a whole).

Marinus
10-10-2018, 10:20 PM
The "all Asians look alike" meme is somewhat true for me I must admit, well Japanese and Korenas mostly, south Asians are different. I may be able to tell French and Brits apart, on a case by case scenario. Koreans and Japanese all look alike to me.

Funnily enough, I'm Iberian-English and I think that I look more French than my actual ethnicity. I do have distant French ancestry though.

The Blade
10-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Brits and French to me although they are reasonably different.
Japanese have a Jomon element which really distinguishes them from Koreans.

Phenix
10-10-2018, 10:24 PM
It is easier to differentiate people closer to you, I am used to see Chinese people much more than other nationalities, but still can't tell who is who when it comes to East Asians, only aesthetics can help.

Tietar
10-10-2018, 10:52 PM
It is not necessary to compare Brits and French, not even French from the North and the South. Even in a single town of French people are quite different among them compared to how much they resemble Japanese and Chinese.

Tooting Carmen
10-11-2018, 03:18 AM
bump

Tooting Carmen
10-11-2018, 05:11 PM
bump

Sikeliot
10-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Japanese/kOrean.

Smeagol
10-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Most Japanese and Koreans look identical.

Rgvgjhvv
10-11-2018, 11:39 PM
In general, Koreans and Japanese do NOT look alike. Anyone who claims they do, is just ignorant. I don't mean that in a malicious way either, they just literally have very little to no exposure to either ethnic group in their life.

Tooting Carmen
10-12-2018, 08:11 PM
bump

Ayetooey
10-12-2018, 08:19 PM
In general, Koreans and Japanese do NOT look alike. Anyone who claims they do, is just ignorant. I don't mean that in a malicious way either, they just literally have very little to no exposure to either ethnic group in their life.

I can tell the difference (I'm a big JPOP and KPOP fan) but to claim they don't look alike at all is absurd, they're probably the closest populations to each other and there's a lot of cross over autosomally and culturally.

Rgvgjhvv
10-12-2018, 08:30 PM
I can tell the difference (I'm a big JPOP and KPOP fan) but to claim they don't look alike at all is absurd, they're probably the closest populations to each other and there's a lot of cross over autosomally and culturally.

To say Brits and French people look less alike than Koreans and Japanese is stupid and inaccurate. I didn't claim they don't look similar at all. But again, generally they have very specific phenotypical differences only found within their separate ethnicities.

I was born in Korea, I am basing this on facts and personal experience.

Ayetooey
10-12-2018, 08:39 PM
To say Brits and French people look less alike than Koreans and Japanese is stupid and inaccurate. I didn't claim they don't look similar at all. But again, generally they have very specific phenotypical differences only found within their separate ethnicities.

I was born in Korea, I am basing this on facts and personal experience.

Apologies if I mischaracterised your argument as that wasn't my intention, but I don't agree that they "don't look alike" yes there are differences (which I can spot myself) but they're by far the closest populations in the region. Genetically they overlap anyways but this is exacerbate further due to "comfort women" through the Japanese rule of Korea; many Korean 23andme users get large percentages of Japanese dna. Here's the genetic plotting for the region; as you can see, massive overlap.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2qn34eh.jpg

Brits don't share much with the French excluding Northern French where there's slight cross over.

http://i.imgur.com/BIMJlpt.png

I respect your background but I stand by my initial assertion that as a whole Japanese and Koreans are much closer.

Rgvgjhvv
10-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Apologies if I mischaracterised your argument as that wasn't my intention, but I don't agree that they "don't look alike" yes there are differences (which I can spot myself) but they're by far the closest populations in the region. Genetically they overlap anyways but this is exacerbate further due to "comfort women" through the Japanese rule of Korea; many Korean 23andme users get large percentages of Japanese dna. Here's the genetic plotting for the region; as you can see, massive overlap.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2qn34eh.jpg

Brits don't share much with the French excluding Northern French where there's slight cross over.

I respect your background but I stand by my initial assertion that as a whole Japanese and Koreans are much closer.

Comfort women would not have played a large role in shaping Korean ancestry/genetics. Though an incredibly sensitive topic in Korea, Japan had control over Korea for just 4-5 years. There are claims in Vietnam that Koreans did the same to Vietnamese women as well, and no one ever claims Koreans and Vietnamese to be related. That's not nearly enough time to have any effect whatsoever. Like many Greeks getting Italian in their 23andMe, it should not be taken literally.

Also we are talking about PHENOTYPES anyway, and not genotypes, as you are posting charts about.

I'm simply claiming that if you take the average person and show them pictures from all 4 ethnicities, I'm sure most would pair the Europeans and East Asians in the same piles with each other, not thinking twice that they're from the same place.

It's a matter of experience. Since you're British, you can find clear differences between Brits and French - heck many here would too being European. But in East Asia it's exactly the same but from their point of view. That's what I mean it has everything to do with exposure to the ethnic groups, and in this case the phenotypes which exist in those regions.

Ayetooey
10-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Your genetics will dictate your phenotype and Japanese/Koreans aren't just close genetically they overlap significantly, so that seems like a weak argument. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I agree that most are completely ignorant on east Asian phenotypes, give me three people one Japanese, one Chinese, one Korean; and I can easily tell you which one is which (thanks to j/kpop) can also tell the differences linguistically thanks to music + anime. Most people just think they all look the same and they really don't.

Rgvgjhvv
10-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Your genetics will dictate your phenotype and Japanese/Koreans aren't just close genetically they overlap significantly, so that seems like a weak argument. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I agree that most are completely ignorant on east Asian phenotypes, give me three people one Japanese, one Chinese, one Korean; and I can easily tell you which one is which (thanks to j/kpop) can also tell the differences linguistically thanks to music + anime. Most people just think they all look the same and they really don't.

You are contradicting yourself right away lol.

Do Greeks look Ashkenazi Jewish? According to your graph, Greeks and Jews overlap each other significantly as well. I've never heard anyone claim we look alike.

If you were to ask people on TA, Sicilians and Greeks also do not look alike. So not sure why you think that genetic similarity is proof of phenotypical similarity.

The average Greek can sometimes be mistaken for Iberian or West Turkish, both pretty far apart genetically. It can go both ways. Some ethnicities look similar to each other, some don't, and sometimes there's no genetic association between either that would prove nor deny it.

Rgvgjhvv
10-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Twat

Ayetooey
10-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Twat

Nice one. Respectful to you the entire time and this is how you act.

Your argument is completely logially fallacious as you're appealing to extremes, without that your entire argument collapses. Almost every single nationality on the chart that overlap share phenotypes. The British and the Germans, Serbs and Croats, Russians and Belorussians, South Italians and Greeks, Spanish and Basque etc, there's a clear correlation that fits the majority of the time, this is basic shit; Brits only overlap with Northern French. I have lived in Britain my entire life, had gone to school with French exchange students, and live in a city full of 10s of thousands of French people, and few of them pass well in Britain. I mean damn I sat next to a French girl in a lecture today and immedietly noticed it.

If this was Britain/german vs Japan/Korea. Or Britain/France vs Japan/China, this would be a more even debate, but it isn't and the majority agree with me poll wise.

And finally, grow up; sometimes people disagree with you in life.

Rgvgjhvv
10-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Nice one. Respectful to you the entire time and this is how you act.

Your argument is completely logially fallacious as you're appealing to extremes, without that your entire argument collapses. Almost every single nationality on the chart that overlap share phenotypes. The British and the Germans, Serbs and Croats, Russians and Belorussians, South Italians and Greeks, Spanish and Basque etc, there's a clear correlation that fits the majority of the time, this is basic shit; Brits only overlap with Northern French. I have lived in Britain my entire life, had gone to school with French exchange students, and live in a city full of 10s of thousands of French people, and none of them pass in Britain. I mean damn I sat next to a French girl in a lecture today and immedietly noticed it.

If this was Britain/german vs Japan/Korea. Or Britain/France vs Japan/China, this would be a more even debate, but it isn't and the majority agree with me poll wise.

And finally, grow up; sometimes people disagree with you in life.

You thumbsed me bro that's a scrap. I disagreed with you and didn't thumbs you. YOU THUMBSED ME BRO!!!!

Like I said, your experience would be different as a Brit. That is only logical.

me99
10-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Japanese and Koreans

Tooting Carmen
11-01-2018, 09:41 PM
bump

RenaRyuguu
12-01-2018, 01:26 AM
Brits and French lmao

Japanese and Koreans are easily told apart if you know about them

Valedictorian
12-01-2018, 01:29 AM
Japanese and Koreans, obviously. It is virtually impossible to the untrained eye to tell them apart, unless you're some kind of anthropology wizard, of course.

RenaRyuguu
12-01-2018, 01:30 AM
Japanese and Koreans, obviously. It is virtually impossible to the untrained eye to tell them apart, unless you're some kind of anthropology wizard, of course.

It is easier lmao. If you listen to kpop and jpop. Each looks distinct. Brits, French look alike a lot

Zroota
12-01-2018, 04:21 AM
Off topic, but Assyrians are perfectly plotted in this ethnic cluster map. I agree with it 100%. Props to the maker.

Mingle
12-01-2018, 04:44 AM
It is easier lmao. If you listen to kpop and jpop. Each looks distinct. Brits, French look alike a lot

I don't listen to K-pop or J-pop or watch K-dramas, but I can mostly tell them apart (got a 14/16 on Markos' thread) based on a vague understanding between the differences. IMO, the biggest difference is that there are some distinctive Japanese types are close to non-existent among Koreans and these people would be more common than distinctive French types that are unpassable in Britain (even as atypical).

RenaRyuguu
12-01-2018, 04:48 AM
I don't listen to K-pop or J-pop or watch K-dramas, but I can mostly tell them apart (got a 14/16 on Markos' thread) based on a vague understanding between the differences. IMO, the biggest difference is that there are some distinctive Japanese types are close to non-existent among Koreans and these people would be more common than distinctive French types that are unpassable in Britain (even as atypical).

I got the same on his thread

Thambi
12-01-2018, 06:00 AM
I'd say both in equal measure.

French have more diversity imo since there are a lot of med influenced types in southern france and they look noticeably different from northern french who have overlap with the atlantids, subnordids in britain.

Koreans and Japanese have differences as well with jomon influence in japanese and more nord sinid/tungid influenced features among koreans, but even then koreans are still similar to japanese than they are to nearby northern chinese from shandong, beijing, manchurian areas. Japanese and koreans overlap very often.

I'd say japanese/koreans are slightly more similar but overall both sets roughly alike.

Tooting Carmen
12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
bump

Tooting Carmen
02-06-2019, 11:17 PM
bump

Livin
02-06-2019, 11:18 PM
since when brits look close to french xd? i voted for the second one ofc.

Westbrook
02-06-2019, 11:21 PM
One way to tell them apart is to speak English to them. Most young Koreans speak English as a second language, and they sound American when they do. It's pretty interesting.
The "all Asians look alike" meme is somewhat true for me I must admit, well Japanese and Korenas mostly, south Asians are different. I may be able to tell French and Brits apart, on a case by case scenario. Koreans and Japanese all look alike to me.

Funnily enough, I'm Iberian-English and I think that I look more French than my actual ethnicity. I do have distant French ancestry though.

Joso
02-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Japanese and Koreans are by far the most similar to each other.

Smaug
02-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Asians all look the same, so there’s your answer.

Tooting Carmen
02-06-2019, 11:24 PM
since when brits look close to french xd? i voted for the second one ofc.

On anthrofora, many people underestimate the Mediterranean (and Alpine and Dinaric) elements in France and instead claim it to be a "plain NW Euro" country.

Tooting Carmen
02-06-2019, 11:25 PM
Asians all look the same, so there’s your answer.

:picard1:

Tooting Carmen
02-22-2019, 10:39 AM
bump

Dna8
02-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Japs/Koreans.

Roy
02-22-2019, 12:37 PM
I think that white people are not quite authorized to estimate that if we are European :) Our eyes are much responsive to people who are like us, more or less. For Asians for example Northern Europeans all look the same.

Tooting Carmen
02-22-2019, 12:45 PM
I think that white people are not quite authorized to estimate that if we are European :) Our eyes are much responsive to people who are like us, more or less. For Asians for example Northern Europeans all look the same.

So would this thread only be acceptable if I specifically asked Nigerians, Indians and Arabs? xD

MysteriousWays
02-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Brits and French,I suppose, although they aren't that similar to one another either.

Papastratosels26
02-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Japanese and Koreans

Roy
02-22-2019, 02:12 PM
So would this thread only be acceptable if I specifically asked Nigerians, Indians and Arabs? xD

Obviously no ;) But you get the drift? Btw I think that the Japanese are in a way more similar looking to the Chinese. Koreans have a more distinct appearance.

Tooting Carmen
03-22-2019, 09:58 PM
bump

guyinsf
03-24-2019, 06:29 AM
I think if you ask asians this question the answer would unanimously brits/french.

Joso
03-24-2019, 06:44 PM
japanese and Koreans

Rgvgjhvv
03-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Obviously no ;) But you get the drift? Btw I think that the Japanese are in a way more similar looking to the Chinese. Koreans have a more distinct appearance.

Not true

Joso
03-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Not true

Chinese are more diverse in looks, so it depends

Tooting Carmen
04-07-2019, 09:08 PM
bump

Tonythe0ne
04-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Depends on who you ask. Most whites will say japan and Korea, most Asians will say French and English. I honestly can’t tell Koreans, Mongolians, Chinese, Japanese apart AT ALL, but I can give a good effort with French and English

Sika
04-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Neither should have been an option.

French are very diverse looking compared to British. British look somewhat more northern in appearance compared to French. In terms of admixture, French have higher EEF compared to British.

Similarly, Japanese are much more diverse in appearance compared to Koreans. Koreans tend to have much more rounder/softer appearance compared to Japanese. In terms of admixture, Japanese tend to have Ainu and Ryukyu admixture that Koreans usually lack or have low amounts.

Catarinense1998
04-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Depends on who you ask. Most whites will say japan and Korea, most Asians will say French and English. I honestly can’t tell Koreans, Mongolians, Chinese, Japanese apart AT ALL, but I can give a good effort with French and English

Japanese and Mongolians don't look alike.

XXXKanedaGUNDAM
04-08-2019, 02:35 AM
One thing I’ve always wondered, who so many of the French of big pointy noses?

Tooting Carmen
04-09-2019, 10:34 AM
One thing I’ve always wondered, who so many of the French of big pointy noses?

Do you mean Dinarids? Yeah, France definitely has the most anywhere outside Italy and the Balkans, and it is precisely one of the things that distinguishes them from the British.

RanselBaar
04-09-2019, 11:37 AM
None, if anything, southern brits are similar to northern french, it's the same with northern spain being similar to southern brits

Tooting Carmen
05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Bump

Rgvgjhvv
05-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Neither should have been an option.

French are very diverse looking compared to British. British look somewhat more northern in appearance compared to French. In terms of admixture, French have higher EEF compared to British.

Similarly, Japanese are much more diverse in appearance compared to Koreans. Koreans tend to have much more rounder/softer appearance compared to Japanese. In terms of admixture, Japanese tend to have Ainu and Ryukyu admixture that Koreans usually lack or have low amounts.

Nope, literally the complete opposite.

Joso
05-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Nope, literally the complete opposite.

Why?

Rgvgjhvv
05-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Why?

Japanese have caucasoid influenced phenotypes due to the natives that have lived in Japan since before the current population.

Koreans are the natives of their peninsula, they are purely East Asian in every sense, with a significantly higher % of Tungid (mongolian) influenced phenotypes, compared to Japan.

See, "Manchu-Korean"

Joso
05-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Japanese have caucasoid influenced phenotypes due to the natives that have lived in Japan since before the current population.

Koreans are the natives of their peninsula, they are purely East Asian in every sense, with a significantly higher % of Tungid (mongolian) influenced phenotypes, compared to Japan.

See, "Manchu-Korean"

Why Koreans always look so weak and gracile? Maybe plastics and way of life?

Matty74
05-19-2019, 04:31 PM
I think some Koreans have very sharp features with strong jawlines and square faces. Both are closely related peoples but in my experience, there are Koreans out there that tend to be heavier and thicker. Most Koreans don't look like the K-pop girls.

Rgvgjhvv
05-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Why Koreans always look so weak and gracile? Maybe plastics and way of life?

Says who? Are you basing an entire ethnicity on pop singers, who are obsessed with looking a specific way?

Tooting Carmen
06-09-2019, 01:09 PM
bump

Tooting Carmen
10-06-2019, 06:40 PM
bump

Tooting Carmen
09-26-2020, 12:59 AM
I think some Koreans have very sharp features with strong jawlines and square faces. Both are closely related peoples but in my experience, there are Koreans out there that tend to be heavier and thicker. Most Koreans don't look like the K-pop girls.

Are you saying Koreans look more masculine than the Japanese?

Latinus
09-26-2020, 01:11 AM
Koreans have less pseudo caucasoid influenced types compared to the Japanese.

In my opinion, Koreans are the ugliest East Asians.