PDA

View Full Version : who speaks gaelic

TheCelt
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
i know its mandatory in schools of ireland which i think is great. being born in the USA i didnt have that opportunity, but ive been wanting to learn it for some time now. so, who has learned to speak it later in life, and how hard was it to pick up?

Lauranum
07-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I speak it, learned in school as you say so have it from a young age. Could do with brushing up a little now though, if I am to be honest, but it seems easy enough for me as I grew up with it. Had a friend from the US though who tried to learn and found it complicated. Apparently it is a complex language to learn, but it's hard for me to say as I grew up around it! Give it a shot though, I think all languages seem difficult at the beginning!
Hope that helps. :)

Logan
07-03-2011, 12:02 AM
I do the Scottish variety, lower level. Not too difficult. Like most anything, keep at it, and it will come.

Grumpy Cat
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I grew up in Nova Scotia where there are some native Gaelic speakers and it's one of the official languages in the province (you can find signs in English, French, and Gaelic) so I know a little bit.

I find it a very difficult language and could never grasp it besides basic phrases.

Rachel
07-03-2011, 02:08 AM
I have studied gaelic with the use of rosetta stone through work, i am not sure this is the best option but i am enjoying learning.