PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Election 2011

Graham
04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
The Latest opinion poll due out very soon has the SNP doing very well at the moment. We'll have an referendum on independence if this comes to be. I can only hope. :D

Labour have been an absolute trainwreck so far. Alex Salmond against Iain Gray is a non contest. SINKING SHIP

Elections are on May the fifth

Mori ispos poll
CONSTIT: SNP 45% (+8), Lab 34 (-2), Con 10(-3), LD 9 (-1).

LIST: SNP 42% (+7), Lab 32 (-1), Con 10 (-3), LD 8 (-2), Oth 8

SEATS: SNP 64 , 44 Lab, Tories 11, 8 LDs, Greens 2

poiuytrewq0987
04-21-2011, 03:31 AM
If Scotland breaks off, it could effectively end the UK as we know it and a rump state would be all that remains with only England and Wales in it. Kind of similar to rump Yugoslavia that had only Serbia and Montenegro in it.

Albion
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Oh good, SNP are getting a good vote it seems, well I hope this time they win the majority of seats and actually hold the referendum on Scottish indepdence they keep promising.

SwordoftheVistula
04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
That would be awesome if they won, and held the referendum. Would any of the other parties support a referendum, the Greens or LibDems?

This is a good time for them to hold a referendum, as it appears at least from my observations that a Conservative/LibDem coalition would be the most likely to let Scotland become independent. A Labour government would never allow it, since the Scottish seats give a big boost to them in the UK parliament. A Conservative alone government might be too prideful to allow Scotland to secede, but the Lib Dems seem more into local government.

Graham
04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
That would be awesome if they won, and held the referendum. Would any of the other parties support a referendum, the Greens or LibDems?

The Greens and Margo Macdonald( ex SNP) who usually wins a seat, both support independence. Tories are very much against a referendum, Labour and the Lib dems are against it aswell.

Duckelf
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Why on earth would you want SNP to win? Why would you want independence?

Beorn
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Why on earth would you want SNP to win? Why would you want independence?

The Scottish don't wish to be subsidised by the English taxpayer anymore. The North Sea Oil revenue could be spent solely on the English taxpayer (and the Welsh, unfortunately).

Duckelf
04-22-2011, 09:54 PM
The Scottish don't wish to be subsidised by the English taxpayer anymore. The North Sea Oil revenue could be spent solely on the English taxpayer (and the Welsh, unfortunately).
The Scottish aren't subsidised by the English but even if they were I don't see so how it benefits our cause to vote for the left-wing pro-EU SNP.

We should not be fighting for economic reasons but for a complete change of the culture and political situation in a more traditionally European direction. We should not divide the British for no good reason, and especially not for the reasons of the SNP. I am proud of both my Scottish and English blood, and I will not sell my English family down the river for the SNP, who are the enemy.

Here is an example of what the SNP considers to be an exemplary 'Scottish Nationalist':

http://remember.snp.org/images/uploads/tributes/portraits/07dc9c56c4a2a447652a16643b02f3a8-Bashir-Ahmad-HS.jpg

A foreign, non-European Muslim.

poiuytrewq0987
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Duck, you are British the Scots are not. :coffee:

Duckelf
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Duck, you are British the Scots are not. :coffee:
What? Can you rephrase that please?

poiuytrewq0987
04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
What? Can you rephrase that please?

You are of mixed descent (English and Scot) therefore you are British. Whereas Scots who aren't of mixed descent are Scottish.

SwordoftheVistula
04-22-2011, 11:57 PM
SNP doesn't seem that good of a party, but if Scotland became independent, it could open up space for a more right wing Scottish Party, as well as tilting politics toward the right in the remainder of Britain.

Duckelf
04-23-2011, 01:30 PM
You are of mixed descent (English and Scot) therefore you are British. Whereas Scots who aren't of mixed descent are Scottish.
It doesn't really work like that. Over here mixed ethnic heritage (English + Scottish, English + Welsh, Scottish + Irish etc.) is common.

Albion
04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
It doesn't really work like that. Over here mixed ethnic heritage (English + Scottish, English + Welsh, Scottish + Irish etc.) is common.

Yes, I find it quite annoying that a Serb tells someone in Britain that they're not Scottish or whatever they identify as.

poiuytrewq0987
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, I find it quite annoying that a Serb tells someone in Britain that they're not Scottish or whatever they identify as.

British is an artifical identity just as Yugoslav is. People who identify as Yugoslav are often Muslim or come from a mixed marriage.

The Lawspeaker
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I think that it's quite rude that you tell the British here what they are and what they aren't. I think that they can determine that for themselves.

poiuytrewq0987
04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I think that it's quite rude that you tell the British here what they are and what they aren't. I think that they can determine that for themselves.

Nah... just sharing my opinion as this is a forum, no?

Murphy
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Sadly the only parties standing in Renfrewshire are all anti-Catholic. I cannot vote for any of them in good conscience.

Graham
04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Why on earth would you want SNP to win?

Iain Gray, Andy kerr, Richard Baker etc..! Labour are a joke at the moment.

The SNP have done well as a minority government over the past four years. They've proven to be competent enough to to be in Government for another five. I disagree with the SNP on the EU, but we're stuck here anyway.

Why would you want independence?

What's so great about the UK at the moment? :P

Would like to have greater fiscal authority and responsibility for the Scottish Parliament instead of the block Grant we receive from London every year. Less control from London the better.
"England loses a surly lodger and gains a good neighbour". :)

I'd at least settle with Full Fiscal Autonomy and for us not to vote on English voting matters.

Albion
04-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Sadly the only parties standing in Renfrewshire are all anti-Catholic. I cannot vote for any of them in good conscience.

Oh well, no less there then.

Albion
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
"England loses a surly lodger and gains a good neighbour". :)

Very true.

I'd at least settle with Full Fiscal Autonomy and for us not to vote on English voting matters.

Very noble of you to give a fuck about us, after all it doesn't affect you so thanks for being a good neighbour.
:thumb001:

I'd prefer the UK to breakup, I want England back, the nation that stuck two fingers upto France, Spain and the pope repeatedly whilst staving off Scottish raiders. ;):D
On failing that a looser federation would be nice with a government for England. We're getting screwed by the coalition who won't even mention our country's name whilst many of the decisions they make affect only us.

Treffie
04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

With neighbours like you, no wonder Scotland wants independence :D

Graham
04-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh Aye, to show the poll wasn't a one off, most recent YouGov poll on Sunday

Holyrood constituency: CON 10%(-1), LAB 32%(-5), LDEM 8%(nc), SNP 45%(+5)
Holyrood regional: CON 12%(nc), LAB 29%(-4), LDEM 7%(nc), SNP 39%(+4), Grn 7%(+1)

Wyn
04-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I'd prefer the UK to breakup, I want England back, the nation that stuck two fingers upto France, Spain and the pope repeatedly whilst staving off Scottish raiders. ;):D

Interestingly, the largest battle between our two nations came as a result of our defence of the Papacy (see Battle of Flodden Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flodden_Field)) when England was a member of the Holy League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_League_%28Italian%29).

On failing that a looser federation would be nice with a government for England.

England, Scotland and Wales deserve much better than federalism. Our nations are far too historic and important for anything other than full independence to be just, in my opinion. Federalism is just Mickey Mouse independence. A kind of independence-lite.

Hopefully, I'll witness the rebirth of the Kingdom of England in my lifetime, though a Republic of England is perhaps more plausible and likely.

Duckelf
04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Although I favour the Union myself, I wouldn't mind independence under the right circumstances. However, I do not want to be led into independence by the SNP, who would make as a feeble EU vassal and who would not do anything about immigration or the numerous other problems that we face.

Albion
04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
England, Scotland and Wales deserve much better than federalism. Our nations are far too historic and important for anything other than full independence to be just, in my opinion. Federalism is just Mickey Mouse independence. A kind of independence-lite.

Hopefully, I'll witness the rebirth of the Kingdom of England in my lifetime, though a Republic of England is perhaps more plausible and likely.

I always had you down as a unionist. Monarchism is too strong in Southern England to create a republic. The North is quite dead-set against the monarchy but I don't think there's enough to make an impact.

I'd prefer full independence too. England should have its place with the other Germanic nations of Europe, not shackled and forgotten to a dying union.

Graham
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Interestingly, the largest battle between our two nations came as a result of our defence of the Papacy (see Battle of Flodden Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flodden_Field)) when England was a member of the Holy League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_League_%28Italian%29).

We got our Arses kicked in big time lol. A suicide mission to help out the French once again. :rolleyes:

Flodden 1513, Argentina 1978 and England 1966 worst times in our history. :D

The Lawspeaker
04-25-2011, 06:26 PM
We got our Arses kicked in big time lol. A suicide mission to help out the French once again. :rolleyes:

Flodden 1513, Argentina 1978 and England 1966 worst times in our history. :D
What about Culloden 1746 and the Highland Clearings ?

Duckelf
04-25-2011, 06:45 PM
The majority of Scots opposed the Jacobites.

The Lawspeaker
04-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks.. I didn't know that. I thought that it was something that was close to a national rebellion. Although it can be seen as a national disaster as the government launched a campaign of cultural genocide starting off with the Highland Clearances, the banning of Gaelic (it was a hanging offence to speak it), the wearing of tartan etc.

Duckelf
04-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks.. I didn't know that. I thought that it was something that was close to a national rebellion.
It was largely a religious conflict. Catholics (more common among Highlanders) and Episcopalians were the most likely to be Jacobites.

Graham
04-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Was only joking. Darien scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme) was a bad hit for us also.

Culloden was a civil war and wasn't good for those who were Catholic and Episcopalian who supported the Stewarts mainly from the Highlands and East coast. Which led to the clearances, was a bad time for some.

Murphy
04-25-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure you could make an argument that at the time of the Jacobite fight for restoration and before the Clearances, Catholic Jacobites were the majority of the population.

Duckelf
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure you could make an argument that at the time of the Jacobite fight for restoration and before the Clearances, Catholic Jacobites were the majority of the population.
The majority of the population of Scotland? No, you really couldn't.

Murphy
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
The majority of the population of Scotland? No, you really couldn't.

I'm not sure if you can be so dismissive about it. I think an argument could possibly be made that the Highlands once had a higher population. To be fair though I've completely abandoned my reading of Scottish history in the past months. I could very well be misremembering the facts.

At least at one point we Catholics outnumbered the heretics :D!

Graham
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure if you can be so dismissive about it. I think an argument could possibly be made that the Highlands once had a higher population. To be fair though I've completely abandoned my reading of Scottish history in the past months. I could very well be misremembering the facts.

At least at one point we Catholics outnumbered the heretics :D!

To be honest, I don't have a fucking clue. I heard the Highlands was once home to half the population of Scotland. So it must have been high.

Episcopalians comprised about 25% of Scotland’s population 1688. Now it's a small amount of the population, including my mum and that side of the family.

Just up the road from here, we have Linlthgow Palace. The Duke of Cumberland and the government forces in 1746 destroyed the palace buildings and burnt down most of Lithgae palace. Would have been great to have proper palace here. The photo I took.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8694&stc=1&d=1303771062

poiuytrewq0987
04-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I'd prefer full independence too. England should have its place with the other Germanic nations of Europe, not shackled and forgotten to a dying union.

Hear hear! I am anti-British but pro-English. I cannot wait for the abomination that is the UK to disappear and the English to prosper as English not as British.

The Lawspeaker
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Scots back SNP vow to freeze council tax

http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload/TS//TH1_254201119john-swinney19.jpg
Swinney: 'We won't bring local income tax back'

AN OVERWHELMING majority of Scottish voters back the SNP's flagship policy of extending the council tax freeze, the latest Scotsman/YouGov poll has revealed.

Scots also favour introducing a local income tax - but only at a level that would not raise enough money to replace the funds which go to council coffers from the council tax, the survey shows.

The results, which will be a further boost to Alex Salmond's campaign to remain First Minister, come as Labour leader Iain Gray yesterday sought to put a series of dismal polls behind him by launching a fierce attack on SNP's plans for independence.

Mr Gray also homed in on the SNP's pledge to freeze the council tax for the five years of the next Holyrood parliament, branding it an uncosted and "undeliverable" promise.

In what his opponents claimed was a relaunch of Labour's campaign, Mr Gray accused Mr Salmond of being disingenuous over the council tax freeze and claimed that the Nationalists' policy of independence would be a "disaster".

However, the SNP seized on the poll, which showed that 75 per cent of Scots wanted the council freeze to continue, with fewer than one in five in favour of a tax hike, as evidence of the popularity of their policy.

The poll asked voters whether they would favour the "continuation" of the council tax freeze, a policy the First Minister has made a key part of the SNP's re-election strategy.

It showed that 42 per cent "strongly support" the move, with 33 per cent saying they "tend to support" the policy.

Just 19 per cent of those interviewed were not in favour of the freeze and only 4 per cent of that figure "strongly" opposing the policy.

Finance secretary John Swinney said the council tax freeze was hugely popular, but admitted the SNP would not bring the local income council tax back if it won power on 5 May.

He said: "The SNP's policy to freeze the council tax is a vital boost for household budgets at a time when other bills are going up, due to soaring fuel costs and Westminster's VAT hike."

The poll also revealed narrow support for the SNP's other key policy from 2007 of replacing the council tax with a local income tax, by a margin of 42 per cent to 34 per cent.

But the survey showed that just 10 per cent of those interviewed backed an income tax rate which a senior civil servant told the SNP government would have been needed to fund council services.

Mr Salmond tried to block the publication of the report suggesting the need for a rate of 4.6p, which contained analysis from the Office of the Chief Economic Adviser to the Scottish Government, led by Dr Andrew Goudie.

The poll shows a majority of Scots support a local income tax, but only at or below 3p in the pound.

It revealed that 27 per cent of those surveyed said they tended to favour a local income tax, while 15 per cent strongly supported the policy.

There were 18 per cent who said they would tend to oppose the SNP plans to abolish the council tax, with 16 per cent strongly against the policy.

Mr Swinney added: "The SNP will not bring local income tax forward in the 2011-16 parliament.

"Over the period of the next parliament, we will consult with others to produce a fairer system based on ability to pay - which clearly carries popular support - and put this to the people at the 2016 election, by which time Scotland will have more powers over income tax, as well as council tax benefit resources transferred to Scotland."

Another gauge of voters' attitudes in the poll over the council tax freeze showed that 52 per cent said the SNP government was "right to spend money" on the policy, with 33 per cent wanting the money to be used on improving public services.

Source: Scotsman (http://news.scotsman.com/news/Scots-back-SNP-vow-to.6757846.jp) (26 April 2011)

Graham
05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Last leaders debate on now. About to watch Salmond put down poor Iain Gray. I think Labour might only have Glasgow and it's outer areas. SNP should do well in the East coast and Highlands. Election is in two days time.

Labour vote collapsing as voters turn to SNP, new poll shows
Tuesday, 03 May 2011 18:26
http://www.newsnetscotland.com/scottish-politics/2336-scotland-election.html

A new opinion poll conducted by TNS-BRMB shows that the SNP are on course to form the next government.

The survey, with a sample of 1063 adults, is likely the last to be published before polling day and suggests the Nationalists will win enough votes to pick up 61 seats - 14 more than they they secured in their historic 2007 victory.

At the same time Labour's share of the vote appears to be crumbling with Iain Gray's party forecast to pick up only 33 parliamentary seats. If the poll is accurate the Conservatives would win 18 seats, the Liberal Democrats 9 and the Greens 8.

In terms of percentage share of the vote the poll indicates support for the SNP has risen over the course of the campaign when compared to the last survey conducted by the same polling organistation (in brackets) in March this year.

In the constituency vote the SNP is at 45% (+8) vote, Labour is on 27% (-11) the Conservatives static on 15% and Liberal Democrats up on 10% (+3). In terms of all-important regional vote, the SNP is on 38% (+3), Labour 25% (-10), Lib Dems move up to 9% (+1) the Tories on 16% (+2) with the Greens on 8% (+3) and Others on 4%.

If this poll is accurate the SNP will become one of very few governments to be re-elected since the 2007 credit crisis with an increased representation in a national parliament. Such an outcome would be a strong mandate for revisiting the Scotland Bill and dramatically increasing the powers Scots have through their parliament.

This projected outcome would give the Nationalists options in terms of post-election deals and allow them to continue as a minority government. A simple understanding with the Scottish Greens would allow for Scots to finally have a referendum on whether they wanted to be ruled from Westminster or form an independent nation. Perhaps a sign of things to come is Liberal Democrat leader Tavish Scott's assertion that such a referendum would not be a deal-breaker were coalition talks to take place between the Liberal Democrats and the SNP.

Reacting to the poll David McLetchie, Scottish Conservative campaign manager, said: “This is further proof that Annabel’s common sense approach and telling it like it is has been going down well on doorsteps across Scotland. Voters appreciate honesty, acknowledging we have been realistic about the challenges of today whilst being optimistic about tomorrow.

Johann Lamont, depute leader of Labour in Scotland said: "With over half of all voters undecided how they will vote, this poll show it is all to play for.

"The SNP are arrogantly slapping themselves on the back before a single vote has been cast, but the only poll that matters is polling day and every hour between now and polling day Labour will be fighting for every vote.”

SNP deputy leader Nicola Sturgeon welcomed the poll: "This is an excellent poll, but we are taking nothing for granted.

"People support our record, team and vision for Scotland - many for the first time - and we will work harder than ever before to achieve the re-election of the SNP Government and Alex Salmond for First Minister on Thursday."

Scottish Greens co-convener Patrick Harvie said the results reflected his party's "positive" campaign.

He added: “The momentum we've found on the doorsteps and in the streets is certainly showing up in the polls, and this would be the Scottish Greens' best ever result.”

Graham
05-06-2011, 12:38 AM
SNP are doing fucking brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriliant!! !!!!!!!! hahahaha Labour and the Libdems are sinking. Fucking historic and a cannae get tae sleep.

http://cfsworldmusic.wikispaces.com/file/view/q-icon-scottish-flag-3.jpg/44350021/q-icon-scottish-flag-3.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
05-06-2011, 12:41 AM
SNP are doing fucking brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriliant!! !!!!!!!! hahahaha Labour and the Libdems are sinking. Fucking historic and a cannae get tae sleep.

http://cfsworldmusic.wikispaces.com/file/view/q-icon-scottish-flag-3.jpg/44350021/q-icon-scottish-flag-3.jpg

Congratulations on breaking free from Yugosla... err... United Kingdom. :D

Beorn
05-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Good news :)

England may finally be rid of Scottish politics. :whoo:

Graham
05-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Good news :)

England may finally be rid of Scottish politics. :whoo:

Shame the English Democrats. can't give the Torrys, Lib dems and Labour a kick in too! Andy Kerr was favourite to take over as next Labour Leader and he's been wiped out. Labour are shiting themselves. Funny as fuck.

Beorn
05-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Shame the English Democrats.

The ED deserve to fall onto the Devils fork (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbibPOjQf-4).

Graham
05-06-2011, 12:56 AM
The ED deserve to fall onto the Devils fork (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbibPOjQf-4).

:D ah ok. I don't have much knowledge of the ED to be honest.

Peasant
05-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Meanwhile in England...
http://i.imgur.com/HvCBK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/71fju.jpg

EDIT: UKIP missed a seat in Hartlepool by 1 vote.

Also, Scotland percentages:
http://i.imgur.com/1y43s.jpg

Beorn
05-06-2011, 01:39 AM
The Pakis and braindead have had a great day.

Graham
05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
The SNP 47% comes from the areas that were labour strongholds. So expect it to rise :D

Murphy
05-06-2011, 07:03 AM
SNP has been given a chance to push for independence here. Let's see if they they believe in what they preach.

poiuytrewq0987
05-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Meanwhile in England...
http://i.imgur.com/HvCBK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/71fju.jpg

EDIT: UKIP missed a seat in Hartlepool by 1 vote.

Also, Scotland percentages:
http://i.imgur.com/1y43s.jpg

When will the English create English National Party? :coffee: :D

Treffie
05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm seriously hoping that the SNP have an overall majority and that they go forward with their independence referendum. Even though Scots on the whole prefer devolution, independence can never be ruled out. Independence for Scotland would have huge implications for the UK around the world - its position at the UN, EU, NATO etc would need a huge overhauling!!!

Albion
05-06-2011, 09:18 AM

No, that is very good actually. Whilst I absolutely despise this Asian bloke being represented as English you have to think of the reason why: propaganda.

A lot of people agree with what the BNP has to say on immigration and a lot of issues, so why such the low vote?
Because people fear being branded racist (even though the BNP now has black members).
So what the English Democrats are actually trying to do here is very simple, they are showing that the party is open to people from all colours so that they don't get labelled as racist by the liberal media in the same way that the BNP do.

The English Democrats are anti-immigration too, just more subtle about it and trying to come across as a moderate party so that the Guardian and BBC don't tar them as racist. Its annoying I agree, but necessary.
The reason the English Dems are trying to be seen as being ok with immigrants is because immigrants in England have a large part of the vote in the Northern Cities and because if your party is 100% white in England then dat iz racis':rolleyes2: (this doesn;t seem to apply the same to Wales, Scotland and NI because they don't have so many immigrants).
I suppose at least the guy in the video has assimilated a bit, I just wish he wouldn't call himself English, it makes me want to cringe.

Its a necessary evil to get the English Dems to the top where they can deal with our problems, including immigration.

rnYlOxklT-g

The Pakis and braindead have had a great day.

Yeah, your typical Liebour supporters - Pakistanis, Africans and dumb-fuck chavs leeching on welfare (the UK equivalent of trailer trash :rolleyes2:).

6mI8678VyRM
Watch this video - look how moderate they come across! Its great! This is the sort of propaganda they need, it makes them appeal to everyone as a party that could become mainstream. For a party to change anything in England it actually needs to have a shot in government first. That is the point.

SNP has been given a chance to push for independence here. Let's see if they they believe in what they preach.

When it comes to that they are full of shit. The SNP will keep pushing for further powers but its quite clear they don't actually want to go all the way now they're actually in government. Its been clear for years, I wish they'd actually keep good on their promises.

Independence for Scotland would have huge implications for the UK around the world - its position at the UN, EU, NATO etc would need a huge overhauling!!!

Not really. We'd be short of soldiers but since there's a war on I suppose they wouldn't withdraw Scottish troops over night but gradually.
The army has been laying off some people so the freeing up of jobs might come as a bonus to English people wanting to join (and lets face it, there's not many jobs about - if you're really desperate it might enter your mind, a lot of school leavers join it).

The UK would still retain the seat on the UN, but calls for an EU-only seat would probably get louder and the countries with something to prove such as Russia would jump at the chance to lament the fall of the empire that once was Britain, whilst suggesting the UK should give up its seat in favour of some 3rd world cess pit.
The EU would embrace Scotland and try to incorporate it into Schengen and the Euro. Scotland would probably agree and then the English border would actually have to be watched.
NATO: see above. Nukes would also need moving, they'd probably build something quickly at Barrow in Furness and then move the subs here. Scotland would probably become neutral.
Anglo-Scottish border: Scotland might actually claim Berwick after a while, but England could claim the territory they nicked in the Solway firth. There'd probably be arguments over the North Sea since Scotland thinks international norms and drawing EEZs don't apply to it. However if Scotland gained Berwick the EEZ boundaries would be resolved in mostly Scotland's favour with the annexing of Berwick.

Murphy
05-06-2011, 09:29 AM
The SNP are inches away from an over-all majority. I want to see what they'll do. I want to see them demonstrate that generations of Irishmen were justified in refusing to fight for Irish independence in a British parliament.

Peasant
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Scottish National Party 65 (+27)
Labour 29 (-10)
Conservatives 9 (-5)
Liberal Democrats 4 (-13)
Other 1 (+1)

Yeah, your typical Liebour supporters - Pakistanis, Africans and dumb-fuck chavs leeching on welfare (the UK equivalent of trailer trash :rolleyes2:).

Funny, because these are the kind of people I am more likely to hear openly supporting the BNP.

Albion
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Funny, because these are the kind of people I am more likely to hear openly supporting the BNP.

Well they could go both ways really, most Chavs I see are very multicultural when it comes to Africans (probably because of the media where rappers are idolized. :confused:), but then seem to mostly be against Muslims and "those Polish coming here stealing our jobs!".
They prefer a few over-hyped Africans who never mentally matured and go around acting like morons to actual white immigrants, its stupid as are most BNP voters because that's most of the BNP electorate.

Graham
05-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Scottish National Party 65 (+27)
Labour 29 (-10)
Conservatives 9 (-5)
Liberal Democrats 4 (-13)
Other 1 (+1)

MMP was designed by so it would be difficult for any party to achieve a majority. But here we are. Labours front bench are out. Labour have a bunch of juniors fighting the SNP in parliament now.:D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5e/Scottish_Parliament_election_2011_map.svg/363px-Scottish_Parliament_election_2011_map.svg.png

Yellow - SNP
Red- Labour
Blue - Torys
Orange - Lib dems

poiuytrewq0987
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
The SNP are inches away from an over-all majority. I want to see what they'll do. I want to see them demonstrate that generations of Irishmen were justified in refusing to fight for Irish independence in a British parliament.

What's next for Scotland after independence is Deanglicisation.

Peasant
05-06-2011, 02:28 PM
MMP was designed by so it would be difficult for any party to achieve a majority. But here we are. Labours front bench are out. Labour have a bunch of juniors fighting the SNP in parliament now.:D
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5e/Scottish_Parliament_election_2011_map.svg/363px-Scottish_Parliament_election_2011_map.svg.png

Yellow - SNP
Red- Labour
Blue - Torys
Orange - Lib dems

Good to see Labour and the Conservatives out.

@cb
Labour voters are not just some block of lazy benefit scroungers is what I forgot to add. The Pakis vote for whatever party panders to them in the area.

Murphy
05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
What's next for Scotland after independence is Deanglicisation.

That is ridiculous. If you "deanglicised" Scotland it would not be Scotland any longer. The Anglo-heritage of Scotland is an important part of its people and history.

poiuytrewq0987
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
That is ridiculous. If you "deanglicised" Scotland it would not be Scotland any longer. The Anglo-heritage of Scotland is an important part of its people and history.

Hmm, that's an interesting perspective. I've always viewed Anglo influence i.e. English influence on Scotland as foreign. Scotland should be focusing on its Celtic heritage by restoring Scottish Gaelic to mainstream use and try to trigger a Celtic cultural renaissance. I think it's better to focus on its core Celtic culture than imitate English culture since Scotland is not England, no?

Graham
05-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Your right, English will remain in the central belt. I think it should be a good day for the highlands and their language.

Graham
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
My Areas SNP already so it was a hold in the Almond valley.

Angela Constance SNP 16,704 54.3% +14.6
Lawrence Fitzpatrick Labour 11,162 36.3% -3.4
Andrew Robert Hardie Conservative 1,886 6.1% -1.9
Emma Sykes Liberal Democrat 656 2.1% -4.2
Neil McIvor National Front 329 1.1% +1.1

Albion
05-06-2011, 02:41 PM
@cb
Labour voters are not just some block of lazy benefit scroungers is what I forgot to add. The Pakis vote for whatever party panders to them in the area.

Um, yes they are... The scroungers are the block, the honest, hardworking Labour supporters who work are just stuck to it - the minority.

There once was a time that Liebour represented the honest, integral, hard working, industrious working man, now a lot of their once honest electorate are scroungers and / or immigrants.

Murphy
05-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Hmm, that's an interesting perspective. I've always viewed Anglo influence i.e. English influence on Scotland as foreign. Scotland should be focusing on its Celtic heritage by restoring Scottish Gaelic to mainstream use and try to trigger a Celtic cultural renaissance. I think it's better to focus on its core Celtic culture than imitate English culture since Scotland is not England, no?

That's even more ridiculous. The Gaelic presence in Scotland only beats the Angle presence by about a century. And unlike English Gaelic never truly become the dominant language of Scotland. And do I have to actually point out the majority of the Celts of Scotland were non-Goidelic Celts?

If English is foreign Gaelic is equally so.

Nations are not artificial products like Yugoslavia. They have true histories and organic development. The Gaels played their part in Scottish history and should not be forgotten and indeed I would love to see the language grow a greater following in the country. But not at the expense of English (or Scottish English/Scots) which has just as valid a part to play in Scotland's heritage.

Peasant
05-06-2011, 02:46 PM
You can blame this torch for burning down the industry.
http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/birmpost/apr2010/3/7/old-tory-logo-602424970.jpg

I'd still vote Labour over Conservative any day. Well I wouldn't, I'd just blank vote.

Albion
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Wow, you've surprised me. You have a point, Lowland Scotland was Anglo-Saxon, English influence has always been there and that the Scots language is an offshoot of medieval English.
Its the same with the Irish influence, you can deny it but it'd still be there (and very important in Scotland).

Murphy
05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow, you've surprised me.

Why is that :D?

Its the same with the Irish influence, you can deny it but it'd still be there (and very important in Scotland).

Oh well I can personally testify to this :P.

Troll's Puzzle
05-06-2011, 02:58 PM
my main issues with SNP are

(i) they aren't 'real' nationalists
(ii) salmond is a douchebag
(iii) here's what he wants to do with his majority (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/may/06/scottish-elections-salmond-historic-victory-snp) already

Jubilant at the "historic" scale of the SNP's victories, Salmond said he would first demand much greater economic freedom for the Scottish parliament, including the right to set its own corporation tax and increase borrowing powers to £5bn

= more borrowed money for Scotland (already massively dependant on public sector) to be paid for by ((guess who?))

If there's something good that can come from them, I hope it does lead to Scotland becoming independant. :)

Graham
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
= more borrowed money for Scotland (already massively dependant on public sector) to be paid for by ((guess who?))

If there's something good that can come from them, I hope it does lead to Scotland becoming independant. :)
What do you mean more borrowed money? We can't borrow money just now. We get a block grant from the barnet formula and that's it.

Albion
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
That's even more ridiculous. The Gaelic presence in Scotland only beats the Angle presence by about a century. And unlike English Gaelic never truly become the dominant language of Scotland. And do I have to actually point out the majority of the Celts of Scotland were non-Goidelic Celts?

If English is foreign Gaelic is equally so.

Nations are not artificial products like Yugoslavia. They have true histories and organic development. The Gaels played their part in Scottish history and should not be forgotten and indeed I would love to see the language grow a greater following in the country. But not at the expense of English (or Scottish English/Scots) which has just as valid a part to play in Scotland's heritage.

Yes, Scotland is more of a Celto-Germanic hybrid, the Celtic elements coming from the Picts, Britons and later the Gaels and the Germanic parts coming from the Angles, Norse, Normans and later English.

That's what you notice about the British Isles, people bang on about the English being Germanic and the rest being Celts but it isn't clear cut, both Scotland and England are basically Celto-Germanic hybrids with Germanic culture predominating in England but more with a focus towards Celtic culture in Scotland (especially since the romanticism of the highlands).

Why is that?

Because I never expected an Irishman to defend anything English. ;) Shocking! :D

Well I see what you mean, but Scotland has never been entirely Celtic. It was Celtic before the Great Migrations before the Anglo-Saxons arrived, but Scotland itself formed from a mixture of the Germanic and Celtic peoples who inhabited Scotland.
Forfeiting the Germanic elements of Scottish culture for the Celtic elements would ruin and destroy it, even in the most Celtic areas - the Highlands and Islands the Norse (Germanics) had a influence.

Huh, all Scotland needs, more shaky public jobs when central government has to make cut backs. Salmond doesn't give a damn if it adds to the UK's troubles.

Murphy
05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Because I never expected an Irishman to defend anything English. ;) Shocking! :D

I once read of a Home Ruler who described the Irish spirit as not one of hate but of love ;).

Graham
05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh aye Troll, here's another article for you to read.

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/speakers-corner/1430-scotland-westminster.html

Comte Arnau
05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Congrats to the Scots. Good step forwards.

Looks like, of the Western European nations that will get independent during this first half of the century (Scotland, Flanders, Catalonia and the Basque Country), you are winning the race right now.

I just hope Wales and the Faroe keep the track too.

Treffie
05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Congrats to the Scots. Good step forwards.

Looks like, of the Western European nations that will get independent during this first half of the century (Scotland, Flanders, Catalonia and the Basque Country), you are winning the race right now.

I just hope Wales and the Faroe keep the track too.

I doubt it. Welsh nationalists are a limp wristed bunch of back scratchers, and sit too comfortably with Labour at the Senedd. They need to learn from the SNP.

Germanicus
05-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Scotland will not vote for a breakaway from the union, the British goverment pays for everything, if the Scots were daft enough to vote for it they would become a 3rd world country overnight...and the Scots know it too.:)

Comte Arnau
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Scotland will not vote for a breakaway from the union, the British goverment pays for everything, if the Scots were daft enough to vote for it they would become a 3rd world country overnight...and the Scots know it too.:)

Lol. That argument is so often repeated by unionists of any country that nobody believes it any more. It makes you look as if it was rather you who are scared of them getting away. :D

And even if it was so, it should always be up to every nation to decide about what they want to be.

Treffie
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Scotland will not vote for a breakaway from the union,

Who knows? Devolution is the favoured status for most Scots at the moment, but now that they've been given the chance to secede, the Scots may prefer the option of independence

the British goverment pays for everything, if the Scots were daft enough to vote for it they would become a 3rd world country overnight...and the Scots know it too.:)

And if the Scots become independent, they'll pay for everything themselves. If they chose independence, it doesn't mean that the Scots will have no money to do things :D

As for Scotland becoming a third world nation, no chance. In fact, I think the Scots will prosper like never before.

Germanicus
05-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Who knows? Devolution is the favoured status for most Scots at the moment, but now that they've been given the chance to secede, the Scots may prefer the option of independence
And if the Scots become independent, they'll pay for everything themselves. If they chose independence, it doesn't mean that the Scots will have no money to do things :D
As for Scotland becoming a third world nation, no chance. In fact, I think the Scots will prosper like never before.

I saw the Interview on SKY today where Alex Salmond was interviewed; in the interview he admitted that for the last three years the Scottish parliment has not borrowed money, whereupon the British goverment has borrowed £300Billion.
My point being; when/if the Scots govern themselves and have independance who will be the country they borrow off for goverment services?
He admitted in the interview it would be the British goverment!