PDA

View Full Version : Handedness: What is yours?

Aemma
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
What is your handedness? Are you a rightie or a leftie or ambidextrous?

I'm very much right handed. I have however used my left hand to write poetry once and it was very interesting to see the results of this exercise. :rolleyes:

Cheers!...Aemma

Addergebroed
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Rightie!:)

Vargtand
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I am right in everything I do.

Frigga
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, I'm mostly a rightie, but I didn't think that I was ambidextrous enough to vote that way! In spinning, if you're a rightie, then your spinning hand is usually your right, but when I started learning, I wanted to give my right hand a break from crocheting, which does a lot to your wrists, and learned with my left hand as the lead hand. Most other spinners who find out that I'm a rightie who spins left handed are surprised, as most of the time, you don't have the fine motor skills needed in your off hand to make good yarn, but I seem to do pretty good! I can also write left handed, but it looks like crap!

Beorn
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm slightly ambidextrous, but I am certainly not as strong with my left hand in comparison to my right hand.

My handwriting is simply awful left-handed as well.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/BeornWulfWer/img272.jpg?t=1236123117

I only use my left hand with some authority whenever I am alone.

Æmeric
03-03-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm ambidexterous. I write with my lefthand but do just about everything else with my righthand. When I was young it was still the practice to encourage lefties to use their righthands. "It would be better for **** if he learned to use his righthand.":rolleyes2: How many times was that brought in parent-teachers conferences or on report cards?

Electronic God-Man
03-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm right-handed and if you are left-handed then you must be a tool of the Devil!

Beorn
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm right-handed and if you are left-handed then you must be a tool of the Devil!

:worship:

Æmeric is the Devil! Watch out!

Lady L
03-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm a rightie ...all the waaaaay :)

Solwyn
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Leftie, leftie, leftie......happily evil

Jägerstaffel
03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Right.

I've tried to do things with my left hand and it just does not seem to work out.

Ever tried to throw a ball with your left hand, overtly righties? You feel like a damn pansy.

Tolleson
03-04-2009, 12:40 AM
I only use my left hand with some authority whenever I am alone.

Like driving around on the weekend, taking a bubble bath or talking on the phone, that kind of stuff?:mmmm:

Birka
03-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Right handed but quite adept with my left hand in many sports. I was taught to juggle in the 4th grade, and that really helps with dexterity and depth perception. And I started playing guitar about 7 years ago, and it is quite humbling trying to coordinate your right and left hand to create the simplest scale.

Ulf
03-04-2009, 01:02 AM
I might as well not have a left hand.

Psychonaut
03-04-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm weird. Anything that requires wrist control, like writing or eating, I'm right handed. However, for things that require elbow and shoulder control, brushing teeth or punching, I favor the left. :shrug:

Ulf
03-04-2009, 01:56 AM
or punching, I favor the left. :shrug:

That's one thing I use my left for, I fight southpaw.

The Lawspeaker
03-04-2009, 05:21 AM
I seem to be right-handed. :coffee: But I use my left-hand when I am holding a book or drinking though.:crazy:

SwordoftheVistula
03-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Right handed

I seem to be right-handed. :coffee: But I use my left-hand when I am holding a book or drinking though.:crazy:

I do that a lot too, I think because I use the right hand for other. more complex tasks stuff while I am drinking or reading, such as using the computer mouse while drinking, or holding the subway bar while reading.

Which hands do you use when drinking and holding a book at the same time? I usually hold the book in the left hand while holding the drink or food in the right hand.

Also, I tend to drive with my left hand, as all the other things such as radio, cupholder, and food are in the center or right of the vehicle.

Vulpix
03-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I can only write decently with my right hand, but I can do just about anything else with my left hand as well. Not sure what to vote :p.

The Lawspeaker
03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I do that a lot too, I think because I use the right hand for other. more complex tasks stuff while I am drinking or reading, such as using the computer mouse while drinking, or holding the subway bar while reading.Same here. My balance on my right hand side is better so I would never hold a subway or bus bar in my left hand. But usually I usually use my right hand for more complex tasks.

Which hands do you use when drinking and holding a book at the same time? I usually hold the book in the left hand while holding the drink or food in the right hand.Then I use my left hand to hold the book and my right hand to drink (I just checked it :coffee:)

Lenny
03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I always heard that brighter/more-creative people are left-handed at a very high rate.

I am not left-handed ---> ergo , I am neither bright nor creative.:D

HawkR
03-04-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm weird. Anything that requires wrist control, like writing or eating, I'm right handed. However, for things that require elbow and shoulder control, brushing teeth or punching, I favor the left. :shrug:

I'm totally the other way around. As a leftie I write with my left hand (Duh!) and do so and say every wrist movement with my left hand. Should and elbow movement is mostly on the right, except a "few little things"(If you know what I mean:p)

Gooding
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Dominantly right handed,although I also use my left hand for minor things

Revenant
03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Ambidextrous. But tend to favour the right.

Barreldriver
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Right handed myself. When I had that hand in a cast I was left handed for 6 months, but as soon as I got my right hand free I became right handed agian.

Ulf
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
12.5% Ambidextrous, I don't know if I trust those numbers. You ambidextrous types are quite shifty...

;)

SPQR
03-07-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm right handed. Lefties are witches..

Vargtand
03-07-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm right handed. Lefties are witches..

Hahahahahahah :P well I would not go that far but commies? :P

Brynhild
03-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Bow before me you vermin!
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/27995/2/istockphoto_27995_she_devil.jpg

Basically, I write with my left hand but use both hands for virtually everything.

LouisFerdinand
03-28-2017, 07:56 PM
I am right handed.

Odin
02-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Right.

Tauromachos
02-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Leftie, leftie, leftie......happily evil

Why is it evil?

AK-47
02-25-2018, 07:29 PM
LEFTY
http://www.relatably.com/m/img/left-handed-memes/a396345abdf9cadef732e0e40be1656ec318d07413ad7d7346 ba8c76fc90b5de.jpg

Tauromachos
02-25-2018, 07:31 PM
LEFTY

I always wondered if Hebrew writing and reading was invented by lefthanders

Vlatko Vukovic
02-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Extremly Right

MysteriousWays
02-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Ambidextrous basically, but just a slight leaning towards being right-handed.

Tom Cat
02-25-2018, 07:59 PM
I'm right handed, yet I have trained myself to be ambidextrous in many ways.

♥ Lily ♥
02-25-2018, 08:08 PM
When I play on my piano and my Irish tin whistle, I can easily use both of my hands to play music.

When I'm typing I can easily use both of my hands to type.

But yet when I'm using my hands to write, I struggle to write with my left hand and I can only use my right hand to write.

Also if I hold a spoon, I find it easier to use my right hand... but during mealtimes when people hold a knife and a fork in separate hands, I can hold a fork comfortably in my left hand as I learned how to position and hold it in my left hand from an early age like everyone else does in western culture.

Isn't that strange? :icon_ask: I can use my left hand for some things like playing music, typing, holding a fork, cleaning... but not for tasks that require more precision control and steadiness, such as handwriting, sewing, using scissors, tweezers, tin openers, or for comfortably holding liquids onto a spoon.

Therefore I consider myself as right handed.

I have a sister though who is left handed.

♥ Lily ♥
02-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Why are most people right handed? The answer may be in the mouths of our ancestors

January 10, 2017 7.35pm GMT

Roughly 90% of humans are right-handed and this is one of the traits that separates us from most other primates who don’t really show any overall preference for left or right handedness.

It’s believed that handedness played an important role in human evolution, with a recent study on the earliest evidence of right-handedness in the fossil record shedding light on when and why this trait arose. Interestingly, the clues were found not in our ancient hands, but in our ancient teeth.

We have long known that the human brain is composed of two roughly similar halves. The left hemisphere controls language and motor abilities, whereas the right hemisphere is responsible for visual-spatial attention.

It is less well known that brain lateralisation, or the dominance of some cognitive processes in one side of the brain, is a distinctive feature of humans, and one associated with improved cognitive ability.

Could handedness have played a role in brain lateralisation? Ancient stone tools made and used by our earliest ancestors reveal some clues.

http://theconversation.com/why-are-most-people-right-handed-the-answer-may-be-in-the-mouths-of-our-ancestors-69712

♥ Lily ♥
02-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Evolution: Why are most of us right-handed?

Right-handed people are dominant worldwide – but why? Jason G Goldman investigates.

We humans don’t typically agree on all that much, but there is at least one thing that an impressive amount of us accept: which hand is easiest to control. If you use one hand for writing, you probably use the same one for eating as well, and most of us – around 85% of our species – prefer our right hands. In fact, "there has never been any report of a human population in which left-handed individuals predominate", according to archaeologist Natalie Uomini at the University of Liverpool in the UK.

Lateralisation of limb use – that is, a bias towards one side or the other – usually begins in the brain. We know that some tasks are largely controlled by brain activity in the left hemisphere, while the right hemisphere governs other tasks. Confusingly, there is some crossing of nerves between the body and the brain, which means it’s actually the left side of the brain that has more control over the right side of the body and vice versa. In other words, the brain’s left hemisphere helps control the operation of the right hand, eye, leg and so on.

Some argue that this division of neurological labour has been a feature of animals for half a billion years. Perhaps it evolved because it is more efficient to allow the two hemispheres to carry out different computations at the same time. The left side of the brain, for instance, might have evolved to carry out routine operations – things like foraging for food – while the right side was kept free to detect and react rapidly to unexpected challenges in the environment – an approaching predator, for instance. This can be seen in various fish, toads and birds, which are all more likely to attack prey seen in the right eye.

So it is possible (though hard to prove) that as our hominin ancestors began walking on two legs rather than four, freeing up their hands to perform new tasks like making tools, they were predisposed to begin using those hands differently. Or, as cognitive scientist Stephanie Braccini and colleagues put it in a Journal of Human Evolution study, "a strengthening of individual asymmetry [may have] started as soon as early hominins assumed a habitual upright posture during tool use or foraging".

Learn more: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141215-why-are-most-of-us-right-handed

LouisFerdinand
04-18-2018, 01:26 AM
I am right handed.