PDA

View Full Version : A question about neighbourhood?

cyberlorian
10-31-2018, 10:45 PM
Can the countries who are not adjacent to each other from the land but adjacent from the sea be considered as neighbours? For example
Netherlands and United Kingdom
Cuba and United States
Cuba and Mexico
Sri Lanka and Indonesia
Italy and Greece
Vietnam and Malaysia
Spain and Italy
Iran and United Arab Emirates
Spain and Morocco
South Korea and Japan
Netherlands and Norway
Somalia and Yemen
Germany and Sweden
Australia and Papua New Guinea
Estonia and Finland
Saudi Arabia and Sudan
Saudi Arabia and Iran
Mozambique and Madagascar
India and Sri Lanka

The Lawspeaker
10-31-2018, 10:49 PM
The Netherlands and Britain pretty much consider themselves to be neighbours. I think it has more to do with the level of connection between the two.

Papastratosels26
10-31-2018, 10:51 PM
Of course

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

The Lawspeaker
10-31-2018, 10:53 PM
I mean: the North Sea is just another motorway to us here.

Ayetooey
10-31-2018, 11:18 PM
Yes, your neighbour isn't just the person in the house next to you, but the person in the houses next to them etc, the same principle applies.

arkas
11-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Definitely true in some cases but not all the time, all of Australias neighbours are island nation, also actual proximity is not always the main factor. I regard New Zeland as Australias closest neighbour despite it being further away than Indonesia for example.

♥ Lily ♥
11-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Yes, definitely;- despite living on an island, I've always considered nations such as Ireland, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, etc, as our neighbouring countries.

http://i.picasion.com/resize88/81ec8e02b55247bd377bd881c67d2dc3.png

(Btw, we're connected to France via the Eurotunnel underneath the English Channel sea. It only takes approximately 2 hours and 15 mins for lorries and cars and rail commuters to travel from London to Paris via high speed rail under the sea... which is a considerably shorter time than it takes to drive from London to the Lake District in northern England (over 5 hours.))

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/vt/data=n7PKHh6TrdsYHXjH8cqVYB_YgrESWUTE9df0iXfUmsSCO vamwFJNGBIpwK3aFKO1P37ntEh6X802kE7DDVLSR_ooPm88N_C 8GnyIHVgOgRj11LEeLvYwfl3BjGSQFqRr8pfULOhDLCBeXuUVj YBfrdxE2hK2D9i07hYBSAQKqkCV,EgH9OltBrb2BEfCq_rkxpL LN1pksLSZQjGnWrRnkz24xHoe0gS00bG3NuednxTtyFHMGvzA7 zG3e-wneo7prCU6x5eZyOzVbAkBl8suPSeGDqdCaXrjBM3Q0ltbslHU xcGgAc1r_R--awD_cSawpOrRPD54E6GPSmlmJ35YWxft9Fd4fvIXUuTvvfVpM0 p0gpuj6l6yU4tKrfMPJv0H-2LcE5kj-bVswvT9NtcvGRI6N2_fMs3dtdG7vsqe7EVWybKthlXNHxrj4SV FPz8kVcdkPaJSvE-TTX5topA2twrkGXDyvuBo-rlvViy6AoD2OAeYIS9muTBo-FKuSxmqBO3iRSPe54pNhDw?scale=2&h=200&w=632

brennus dux gallorum
11-24-2018, 07:49 AM
In Greece Italy is considered neighbor, and for the most part of Greece south-central Italy the most familiar (and only civilized :D) neighbor

♥ Lily ♥
11-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Also I think Aussies and Kiwis consider each other as neighbours.
https://placeandthings.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/australia-and-new-zealand-map.png?w=593&h=415

Also in the West Indies, the Caribbean islanders consider their closest neighbouring islands as their neighbours, (e.g; Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent.)
https://www.worldatlas.com/img/areamap/continent/caribbean_map.gif
https://www.tripsavvy.com/thmb/YGgM3-sbUlHJFra_61woIH2oNVI=/960x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Caribbean_general_map-56a38ec03df78cf7727df5b8.png

♥ Lily ♥
11-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Why should a sea be considered as any obstacle between neighbouring nations?! :icon_ask: What about landlocked nations which are bordered by mountains? Surely a sea is easier for illegal migrants to traverse than mountains. The same way people use cars, coaches, or trains to travel across land borders.... we have ferries, ships, undersea rail, and aeroplanes to quickly reach our nearest neighbouring nations.

There's long rivers within nations too... (such as the River Thames running all through Central London,) but it doesn't necessarily divide people on either side of the river when we have plenty of pedestrian bridges, public vehicle bridges, and rail bridges spanning all along and across the river... as well as cable cars (the Emirates Air Line) over the river.... and also high speed boat transport along the river... and tube trains and vehicle tunnels deep underneath the river to connect one side to the other very quickly and easily. Water is no barrier when making quick transport connections.

GreentheViper
11-24-2018, 08:15 AM
I guess Canada could consider Greenland as a neighbour but I don't know.

Peterski
11-24-2018, 08:47 AM
I guess Canada could consider Greenland as a neighbour but I don't know.

Russia and Japan too.

GreentheViper
11-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Russia and Japan too.

Yeah, that's true, although Alaska separates Canada and Russia, so I don't know lol

♥ Lily ♥
11-24-2018, 08:55 AM
A neighbour either refers to people living in your local neighbourhood, or a neighbour can refer to nations that are located in a close proximity to each other.

Neighbour:

A person or place in relation to others next or near to it.

‘I chatted with my neighbour on the flight to New York.’
‘...matching our investment levels with those of our European neighbours.’

arkas
11-25-2018, 03:29 AM
Yeah, that's true, although Alaska separates Canada and Russia, so I don't know lol

Who do you consider to be a closer to Canada, Australia or Mexico? Australia is apart of the same Anglosphere.

GreentheViper
11-25-2018, 03:32 AM
Who do you consider to be a closer to Canada, Australia or Mexico? Australia is apart of the same Anglosphere.

The only thing Mexico shares with Canada is shared land. Australia is connected to Canada through shared history, language, law, commonwealth status and ethnicity populations (majority English).