PDA

View Full Version : Which Byzantine Emperor do you consider to be the greatest?

poiuytrewq0987
04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Which emperor do you think stood out the most and helped achieve technological and cultural advancements and was successful in the stabilization of the Empire?

Loki
04-24-2011, 09:15 AM
There is no question in my mind. It can only be Justinian the Great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian). No-one else even comes close.

And he was a Balkanoid of Thracian origins. :)

The Journeyman
04-24-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree, but I think he owed a lot of his success to his top general, Belisarius.

poiuytrewq0987
04-25-2011, 06:00 AM
There is no question in my mind. It can only be Justinian the Great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian). No-one else even comes close.

And he was a Balkanoid of Thracian origins. :)

Justinian was certainily great but far too ambitious. Times had changed, there was no room for such empire that once spanned three continents. Justinian I should have spent his energies in fortifying Egypt and Anatolia and to a lesser extent the defenses on the Danube. He wasted a lot of resources, gold and manpower in dreams of grandeur. Had he fortified the mentioned locations instead then he would have easily neutralized the growth of Arab caliphates from the very start by keeping them trapped in their wasteland peninsula.

Loki
04-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Justinian was certainily great but far too ambitious. Times had changed, there was no room for such empire that once spanned three continents. Justinian I should have spent his energies in fortifying Egypt and Anatolia and to a lesser extent the defenses on the Danube. He wasted a lot of resources, gold and manpower in dreams of grandeur. Had he fortified the mentioned locations instead then he would have easily neutralized the growth of Arab caliphates from the very start by keeping them trapped in their wasteland peninsula.

He was unfortunate in that a major natural disaster - the plague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_of_Justinian) - took a massive toll on his empire and probably led to its eventual demise.

poiuytrewq0987
04-25-2011, 07:05 AM
He was unfortunate in that a major natural disaster - the plague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_of_Justinian) - took a massive toll on his empire and probably led to its eventual demise.

The plague was certainily decisive in hurting Justinian's achievements but even then without the plague his armies were still overstretched unable to defend all of its reconquests.

My vote goes to Alexios Komnenus for triggering the Komnenian Restoration and the crusades.

Monolith
04-25-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree that Justinian's great success in reconquering the significant portion of the previously lost West was admirable, but I think Alexius Comnenus' performance was even more impressive, given his situation was arguably more dire than Justinian's.

poiuytrewq0987
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
I agree that Justinian's great success in reconquering the significant portion of the previously lost West was admirable, but I think Alexius Comnenus' performance was even more impressive, given his situation was arguably more dire than Justinian's.

Most definitely. He was a man of high caliber that managed to save the Empire from falling even earlier by leading military successes and triggering a mini-Renaissance in the Empire. In addition, his call for aid to the Pope was the catalyst that shaped contemporary history since his call essentially began a crusade of many helping stave off Turks and Arabs for a while longer. I just wish the Crusaders and the Byzantine Empire worked harder to unify their efforts in permanently kicking out the Turks and decimate the Arab powerbase in Alexandria (which ironically would be still in Byzantine hands if Justinian didn't go off reconquering what was already lost).

Basileus
12-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Justinian managed to restore some of the West but left the treasury empty. Alexios Komnenos, John Tzimiskes, John Vatatzes, Basil II. All of those are good candidates.

Papastratosels26
12-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Basil Ii

Aspirin
12-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Constantine XI Palaiologos

Tauromachos
12-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Bosniensis aka Αλεχανδρος ο Κουζουλος

Bosniensis
12-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Bosniensis aka Αλεχανδρος ο Κουζουλος

You think I am Crazy or Mad bro :(

Smeagol
12-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Heraclius.

jackrussell
12-20-2018, 04:37 PM
An Ode to the Byzantine Emperors by current Byzantines ;

Do you think it's easy to be the Emperor?
Let the earth hear about it.

There is an unchanging law in nature.
The weaklings will die so the strongest shall survive.

I am the king, if I die a thousand times, I will come again.
I devour the weak, and I eat free at all meals.

What do you mean love, friendship, I have no friends other than myself.
I wear the people, look at the poor; I sell the mother of my mother.

I am the king, if I die a thousand times, I will come again.

I fill my throat with bribery and devour all souls .
Do you think it's easy to be the Emperor?

Let the earth hear about it.
There is an unchanging law in nature.

The weaklings will die so the strongest shall survive.
I will come again if I die a thousand times in the king and my king.

I become rain that falls , wind becomes my breath; Earthquakes are also my work.
I like women, I take all the girls.

I betray a commitment, I rape my own promise.
I hang, I cut, I will burn if I am angry; My pleasure is what I do.

I will come again if I die a thousand times I am the king and I am the sultan.
I devour the weak, and I eat freely at all meals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jItFDceJiC0

Byzantines are only remembered with their perfidious fickleness , their harlots and courtesans .

Bosniensis
12-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Diocletian

Also Byzantium never existed, after conquest of Italy by Germans Roman Empire was only in Eastern Mediterranean and people from Rome massively moved to Constantinople.