PDA

View Full Version : British woman dropped in Arctic Ocean dies

Albion
04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5h1oUjI0Gpqv1XKpSoYrbJSA3y86g?docId=photo_130 3574350890-1-0&size=l
LONDON — A British grandmother who was dropped into the Arctic Ocean while being transferred from a cruise ship after falling ill has died in hospital, officials said Saturday.
Janet Richardon, 73, was left floating in freezing waters for eight minutes until rescuers plucked her to safety. Pictures showed her desperately trying to stay afloat in the rough sea in the March 29 incident.
"It is with regret that Mrs Janet Richardson passed away on Thursday evening" at Cumberland Infirmary, North Cumbria University Hospitals said in a brief statement.
Richardson and her husband George, 78, were on the homeward leg of a two-week voyage from Britain to see the Northern Lights natural phenomenon when she started to suffer from internal bleeding.
Norwegian rescuers were dispatched in a boat to take her off the cruise liner, the Ocean Countess, but as they were moving her to the rescue vessel, she slipped from the stretcher.
She was eventually rescued and taken to the Norwegian port of Bodo before being transferred to Britain for further treatment.
Hans Skaar, head of the rescue department at Norwegian Sea Rescue, said their thoughts went out to the family.
"We are sorry for their loss," he told AFP.
"The sea rescue was asked to come for an ambulance mission, with trained ambulance personnel attending the vessel, strengthening the crew.
"They went to the cruise vessel and during the transfer... the vessels slid away from each other and she fell.
"We have performed an internal investigation... and this report is now under internal review. We have implemented preliminary revised procedures while the investigation is ongoing," he added.
The review will be completed within a fortnight.
The Norwegian Sea Rescue is a voluntary organisation and the people who work on the vessels are a mix of volunteers and professionals, he explained.
"On this vessel (sent out for Richardson's rescue) it was professional seamen on board," Skaar said.
Chris Coates, marketing director of Cruise and Maritime Voyages, the British firm that operates the Ocean Countess, said they were "deeply shocked" by Richardson's death.
The firm was doing "everything possible" to help the inquiry, he added.

Source... (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jJlECJyicOOKofuhklicM8-cRSLA?docId=CNG.318cd832fb27826ef578afac8e0b0268.b e1)

It doesn't say what she died of but I suppose it'd be what she got ill with in the first place. Its a shame when they went on the cruise to enjoy their retirement.

Treffie
04-24-2011, 04:05 PM
How sad. I watched this on the news last night. She was taken off the ship because she was unwell only to be dropped into the sea. :(

Bloodeagle
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Source... (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jJlECJyicOOKofuhklicM8-cRSLA?docId=CNG.318cd832fb27826ef578afac8e0b0268.b e1)

It doesn't say what she died of but I suppose it'd be what she got ill with in the first place. Its a shame when they went on the cruise to enjoy their retirement.

8 minutes in frigid waters, will lead to hypothermia, which can kill anybody. ;)

Troll's Puzzle
04-24-2011, 05:08 PM
8 minutes in frigid waters, will lead to hypothermia, which can kill anybody. ;)

she died a couple of days after falling into the sea, of internal bleeding and/or multiple organ failure if I remember rightly.

Bloodeagle
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that her 8 minute dip in the Arctic Ocean, didn't help her failing health. Unless this is some bizarre form of therapy practiced by the Norwegians. :rolleyes: