PDA

View Full Version : Roma woman in Punjab village searching for her roots

Mortimer
11-04-2018, 08:02 AM
https://www.facebook.com/solomia.karoli/videos/919776781559648/

https://www.facebook.com/solomia.karoli/videos/919070278296965/

not sure whether she looks really punjabi, seems to be weddoid. do you think she could still pass for punjabi? i hope you can watch the videos. what do the indians think? there is a whole group of villagers who welcome her in the first video. and they know about roma. its really interesting and not long hope you can watch it.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29542953_779568078913853_5161727563880151311_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=112c0aca7409ed31ce479d46becf30dc&oe=5C8A7AE3

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/30707602_787847684752559_8026014846133725669_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=41de7f6c3180ea6c7336a6e34dccac4d&oe=5C880F11

younger

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40483838_889825074554819_4084628140331106304_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=e2c3d47a0282f95051cd925449f0c780&oe=5C88BEE9

Thambi
11-04-2018, 08:28 AM
she looks mexican the more i look at her. on the surface yes she could pass as typical in india, punjab also but would look atypical the more you look at her. Kind of like the saudi princess who could pass as indian superficially but looking at the features more she clearly looks arab.

but yeah interesting videos. so indians were taken as slaves to the middle east and sold to many different places in west asia and europe. so migration was there but many were taken out of their own will. Even afghans, uzbkes, central asians took indian slaves. Its terrible. Damn i never knew indians were used as slaves in the surrounding nations. I need to study that region's history more. its quite shocking and embarrassing to say the least. I really feel sorry for the roma people.

Mortimer
11-04-2018, 08:31 AM
she looks mexican the more i look at her. on the surface yes she could pass as typical in india, punjab also but would look atypical the more you look at her. Kind of like the saudi princess who could pass as indian superficially but looking at the features more she clearly looks arab.

but yeah interesting videos. so indians were taken as slaves to the middle east and sold to many different places in west asia and europe. so migration was there but many were taken out of their own will. Even afghans, uzbkes, central asians took indian slaves. Its terrible. Damn i never knew indians were used as slaves in the surrounding nations. I need to study that region's history more. its quite shocking and embarrassing to say the least. I really feel sorry for the roma people.

the good thing is the villagers welcomed her, and seem to be her friends. i dont know if that will be true for majority of indians, but the villagers in the video and there is also the head of the villagers i think liked her.

Jana
11-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Beautiful lady in her youth, has noble look as older. Nice thread and good to see how accepting locals were :)

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 12:18 AM
Beautiful lady in her youth, has noble look as older. Nice thread and good to see how accepting locals were :)

thanks.

Tauromachos
11-05-2018, 12:26 AM
To me she looks like she can pass as native Indian/South Asian easily

Don't know if more as Punjabi or another region but i suppose she passes as Punjabi

Mingle
11-05-2018, 12:34 AM
She's Norwegian Roma? She looks very dark for what I'd imagine a Roma from Northern Europe to look like. I wonder if her family migrated from Central/Southeast Europe to Norway or if her family has lived in Norway for centuries. Karoli is also a surname used by Hungarians so my assumption before watching the video was she was a Roma from Hungary. If her ancestors migrated from C/SE Europe to Norway, then its possible she isn't originally from the Karoli village. In fact, I find it unlikely she's from the Karoli village as people in South Asia don't typically use surnames based off which village they're from. It seems more likely to me that she got the surname "Karoli" in Europe and by coincidence a village with that name existed in Punjab. Regardless of if she's originally from the Karoli village or not, she is obviously originally from somewhere in that part of the world, so it ultimately doesn't make that huge of a difference. And it was nice to see her being welcomed by people who had zero personal connection to her. She passes as typical in Punjab.

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 12:39 AM
She's Norwegian Roma? She looks very dark for what I'd imagine a Roma from Northern Europe to look like. I wonder if her family migrated from Central/Southeast Europe to Norway or if her family has lived in Norway for centuries. Karoli is also a surname used by Hungarians so my assumption before watching the video was she was a Roma from Hungary. If her ancestors migrated from C/SE Europe to Norway, then its possible she isn't originally from the Karoli village. In fact, I find it unlikely she's from the Karoli village as people in South Asia don't typically use surnames based off which village they're from. It seems more likely to me that she got the surname "Karoli" in Europe and by coincidence a village with that name existed in Punjab. Regardless of if she's originally from the Karoli village or not, she is obviously originally from somewhere in that part of the world, so it ultimately doesn't make that huge of a difference. And it was nice to see her being welcomed by people who had zero personal connection to her. She passes as typical in Punjab.

not sure, i dont know the story to her name but maybe she has "family knowledge" that her surname is indian? and now she found a village in punjab with that name. dont know.

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 12:39 AM
India should welcome all the Gypsy diaspora same than Israel does with the Jews of the world.

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 12:45 AM
India should welcome all the Gypsy diaspora same than Israel does with the Jews of the world.

These people can claim citizenship based on refugee status from racial violence in their respective places

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 12:48 AM
These people can claim citizenship based on refugee status from racial violence in their respective places

Racial violence? it is the opposite, it is Gypsies who make use of the violence in "their" respective places.
But whatever. India is their homeland and they have the right to live there.

The Lawspeaker
11-05-2018, 12:52 AM
Racial violence? it is the opposite, it is Gypsies who make use of the violence in "their" respective places.

Ach... let them claim it ! As long as we get rid of them...

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 12:53 AM

If they are already citizen of a place then to claim another citizenship there should be a factor. The respective countries where they stay should take care of these people unless there is a civil war or racial violence beyond control then they could apply for Indian citizenship based on claim that they are subject to violence due to Indian heritage.

All Hindus in Pakistan & Bangaldesh qualify for citizenship if there is religious violence similarly Tamils in sri lanka get citizenship for racial violence.

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:00 AM
If they are already citizen of a place then to claim another citizenship there should be a factor. The respective countries where they stay should take care of these people unless there is a civil war or racial violence beyond control then they could apply for Indian citizenship based on claim that they are subject to violence due to Indian heritage.

All Hindus in Pakistan & Bangaldesh qualify for citizenship if there is religious violence similarly Tamils in sri lanka get citizenship for racial violence.

Gypsies in Europe are not persecuted. They can be discriminated socially, in fact they are, but that is other matter. All what I am saying is that it would be fantastic for everybody if Gypsies moved definitely to India. Less crime there would be in Europe, they would feel not racism in India and finally would get a homeland :noidea:

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Gypsies in Europe are not persecuted. They can be discriminated socially, in fact they are, but that is other matter. All what I am saying is that it would be fantastic for everybody if Gypsies moved definitely to India. Less crime there would be in Europe, they would feel not racism in India and finally would get a homeland :noidea:

How are you so authoritative on some one ? If some of these people go complain against you saying they are harassed racially , to say some mafia based in Europe border, then your whole village may be destroyed in grudge attack.

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:14 AM

but thats because you just want to get rid of the gypsies, you would not mind if they were deported to a remote island somewhere either. i dont think it neccessarily has to do something with india. and technically gypsies are under western influence for centuries, they are as indian as mestizos are spanish. they might look more indian but genetically and culturally they have also strong european influence cant be denied.

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:14 AM
How are you so authoritative on some one ? If some of these people go complain against you saying they are harassed racially , to say some mafia based in Europe border, then your whole village may be destroyed in grudge attack.

lol...

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:16 AM

they are also under police and paramilitary violence in some countries like bulgaria or ukraine too. maybe not in spain. but in ukraine militia kills gypsies in bulgaria too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44593995

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:16 AM
but thats because you just want to get rid of the gypsies, you would not mind if they were deported to a remote island somewhere either. i dont think it neccessarily has to do something with india. and technically gypsies are under western influence for centuries, they are as indian as mestizos are spanish. they might look more indian but genetically and culturally they have also strong european influence cant be denied.

Mestizos did not go out from Spain, they were created in America. Gypsies did go out from India, they were created there.
Bad example.

Zuh
11-05-2018, 01:18 AM

She doesn't look Mexican there's nothing mestizo about her she looks mixed with Filipino negrito and Australoid

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:19 AM
Mestizos did not go out from Spain, they were created in America. Gypsies did go out from India, they were created there.
Bad example.

modern day gypsies were created when they left india, even the name gypsy gitano zigeuner etc. is of european origins, if they never left india they wouldnt exist who they are. same as if spaniards never went to americas mestizos wouldnt exist. its a reasonable comparison. and not all gypsies look that indian

this guys doesnt for example

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44432405_2018537228184507_7212209654397403136_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=c7f1eaeca00c791cb2c0a510ac7d82d1&oe=5C88E891

and actually many do show visible westerneuroasian influences if you look closer they are not only "indian"

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:22 AM
modern day gypsies were created when they left india, even the name gypsy gitano zigeuner etc. is of european origins, if they never left india they wouldnt exist who they are. same as if spaniards never went to americas mestizos wouldnt exist. its a reasonable comparison. and not all gypsies look that indian

and actually many do show visible westerneuroasian influences if you look closer they are not only "indian"

Their appearance does not matter, it is like if you claim this Spaniard does not belong to Spain because is too blonde :rolleyes:
https://i2.wp.com/sextoanillo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/14444613_10211636628017788_7936099474623160620_o.j pg?resize=1170%2C700

Mark
11-05-2018, 01:23 AM

I would not guess them as Roma. But since I am not in Europe, I have an untrained eye. I do not see many Roma here, even though there are plenty in the US.

Zuh
11-05-2018, 01:23 AM

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44432405_2018537228184507_7212209654397403136_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=c7f1eaeca00c791cb2c0a510ac7d82d1&oe=5C88E891

Cristiano viejo theory mestizos will never be Spanish and in my mind when I see white Mexicans in Mexico I be like they " well never be true Mexicans" they are just adopted Mexicans.

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:24 AM
Their appearance does not matter, it is like if you claim this Spaniard does not belong to Spain because is too blonde :rolleyes:
https://i2.wp.com/sextoanillo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/14444613_10211636628017788_7936099474623160620_o.j pg?resize=1170%2C700

you could also say that "their appearance" doesnt matter and all gypsies belong to europe therefore. genetically they are just not indian only and culturally neither. they are a mixed/creole culture even their language is a creole language. objectively they belong as much to europe as they belong to india. but i said you just want to get rid of the gypsies, therefore you say india but you probably wouldnt mind if they were deported to some remote island and isolated either probably. objectively they just dont belong only to india.

Mark
11-05-2018, 01:26 AM
Their appearance does not matter, it is like if you claim this Spaniard does not belong to Spain because is too blonde :rolleyes

I think I already know the answer to this question. 'neither' lol.
But... if you were forced to chose to marry between a Jew (who practices Catholicism) or a Roma (who practices Catholicism), which one to chose?

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:27 AM
I would not guess them as Roma. But since I am not in Europe, I have an untrained eye. I do not see many Roma here, even though there are plenty in the US.

even if someone looks more roma he doesnt neccessarily look fully indian. these other two guys look more visibly roma but its visible they are not only indian. roma are not only indian and thats my point, in some it looks like as if they are only indian but as a group you see influences that they are not only.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44350336_2018537698184460_7600484370222153728_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=0966ab2d01c2c4f0f59730c08db74e0e&oe=5C8AE0EC

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 01:27 AM

It coming from colonies. not the other way. Spanish are integrated into Europe but not the colonies.

Whereas India is a distinct country & the Indian emigre are all integrated into respective countries. Indians are the world's biggest diaspora & workers

Mark
11-05-2018, 01:30 AM
even if someone looks more roma he doesnt neccessarily look fully indian. these other two guys look more visibly roma but its visible they are not only indian. roma are not only indian and thats my point, in some it looks like as if they are only indian but as a group you see influences that they are not only.

I understand your point. But I will also say that subject #3 in that picture I would not think to be Roma.

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:32 AM
I understand your point. But I will also say that subject #3 in that picture I would not think to be Roma.

I would also not think that your father is a jew or you. But you are. And people classified this guy as "gypsy looking" I had a classification thread for him, but I personally think that he is not recognisable as roma really, he can be something else. But he is roma.

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:39 AM
you could also say that "their appearance" doesnt matter and all gypsies belong to europe therefore. genetically they are just not indian only and culturally neither. they are a mixed/creole culture even their language is a creole language. objectively they belong as much to europe as they belong to india. but i said you just want to get rid of the gypsies, therefore you say india but you probably wouldnt mind if they were deported to some remote island and isolated either probably. objectively they just dont belong only to india.
My opinion is that one belongs from where his roots are, that is why Gypsies belong to India.

Yes, I dont care if Gypsies move to India or to Mars, but they must go out of Europe. They are very different than Europeans, culturally, criminally, racially..., that is why they dont belong to Europe.

Cristiano viejo theory mestizos will never be Spanish and in my mind when I see white Mexicans in Mexico I be like they " well never be true Mexicans" they are just adopted Mexicans.
Indeed :D

I think I already know the answer to this question. 'neither' lol.
But... if you were forced to chose to marry between a Jew (who practices Catholicism) or a Roma (who practices Catholicism), which one to chose?

What a question, man... seriously?? the Jew hands down.

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 01:40 AM
I would also not think that your father is a jew or you. But you are. And people classified this guy as "gypsy looking" I had a classification thread for him, but I personally think that he is not recognisable as roma really, he can be something else. But he is roma.

Even some indians look like that.

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:43 AM
My opinion is that one belongs from where his roots are, that is why Gypsies belong to India.

Yes, I dont care if Gypsies move to India or to Mars, but they must go out of Europe. They are very different than Europeans, culturally, criminally, racially..., that is why they dont belong to Europe.

you wouldnt say the same of someone born in spain with a spanish father and a indian mother that he belongs to spain. you said you must be 100% spanish. but otherwise reasonable answer, but actually gypsies have "roots" all over the world not only from india. technically/objectively they dont just belong to india only and its wrong to equate them and lump them with actuall indians.

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 01:43 AM

Who are you to say so ? Are you like some Queen Victoria or Trump or some thing ? You might be some whore house handle from Venezuela or some banana republic fantasizing about Spanish history.

Mark
11-05-2018, 01:45 AM

Btw, I honestly was not trying troll you with that question, even if it was a trick type question. I was just curious to see where you stood on that. I would assume that unless present day Spaniards spent time or lived in the larger cities like metro Madrid or to a lesser degree, Barcelona, they would be more exposed to Roma than Jews.

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:48 AM
you wouldnt say the same of someone born in spain with a spanish father and a indian mother that he belongs to spain. you said you must be 100% spanish. but otherwise reasonable answer, but actually gypsies have "roots" all over the world not only from india. technically/objectively they dont just belong to india only and its wrong to equate them and lump them with actuall indians.
Someone born in Spain with a Spanish father and an Indian mother belongs to India, of course :)

Who are you to say so ? Are you like some Queen Victoria or Trump or some thing ? You might be some whore house handle from Venezuela or some banana republic fantasizing about Spanish history.
Do you think I am a sudaca? ohh, you touched my feelings :(

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Someone born in Spain with a Spanish father and an Indian mother belongs to India, of course :)

but thats just objectively not true. he belongs to both places.

Cristiano viejo
11-05-2018, 01:51 AM
but thats just objectively not true. he belongs to both places.

Not to me. Why, because he is 50% 50% genetically? I could not care less.
And if we follow that logic, you, being 56, 25% Gypsy belongs to India. Admit or die!

tipirneni
11-05-2018, 01:54 AM

It ok to daily jerk off on pictures of middle east looking queen thinking yourself something, but it doesn't hold in International Court or UN or Security Council. There are responsible people attending to their jobs.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/harpersbazaaruk.cdnds.net/17/28/2560x1280/landscape-1500040487-letizia-spain-blue.jpg

Mortimer
11-05-2018, 01:55 AM
Not to me. Why, because he is 50% 50% genetically? I could not care less.
And if we follow that logic, you, being 56, 25% Gypsy belongs to India. Admit or die!

Im 71% European. Gypsies have European admixture, thats why Im more European then What I am slavic, because Gypsies have also European admixture. And if someone is only 25% spanish he still belongs to spain too. Italy even lets say you have citizenship with 1/16 italian. But genetics is not the only point, it depends also where you are born and what your culture is etc. gypsies are since hundreds of years in europe and are heavily influenced by european culture. Its just wrong they belong only to india.

Mortimer
11-06-2018, 01:34 AM
Rock Garden in Gandhigarh

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45108056_918502621687064_1075412768141606912_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=9d5ec513283047622e16310f92a4f9bc&oe=5C88BB1E

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45361671_920355018168491_7054655998983667712_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=3b1a0aed7d62e8d2d7079ecd81632907&oe=5C799767

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45359173_920557441481582_4577076600725569536_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=af6b0c6b91246d34d356b7166d64d088&oe=5C42499F

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45406103_920886798115313_8061111705683361792_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=aa722ea0b4f5a8c32e84f96a01dcf3a5&oe=5C70D74B

Cristiano viejo
11-06-2018, 01:56 AM
Im 71% European. Gypsies have European admixture, thats why Im more European then What I am slavic, because Gypsies have also European admixture. And if someone is only 25% spanish he still belongs to spain too. Italy even lets say you have citizenship with 1/16 italian. But genetics is not the only point, it depends also where you are born and what your culture is etc. gypsies are since hundreds of years in europe and are heavily influenced by european culture. Its just wrong they belong only to india.

Please, dont say stupidities. A sudaca from Perú who is 25% Spanish does not belong to Spain not even in dreams.

If we talk about citizenship, as you quoted Italy, then it is another different story. Countries can give citizenship even to people with 0 links with them.

Where you was born, that is not important since it is circumstantial.

Gypsies have not been heavily influenced by European culture. They have their own laws and culture, at least here in Spain.

Mortimer
11-06-2018, 02:00 AM
Please, dont say stupidities. A sudaca from Perú who is 25% Spanish does not belong to Spain not even in dreams.

If we talk about citizenship, as you quoted Italy, then it is another different story. Countries can give citizenship even to people with 0 links with them.

Where you was born, that is not important since it is circumstantial.

Gypsies have not been heavily influenced by European culture. They have their own laws and culture, at least here in Spain.

you will say that someone who is 25% african belongs to africa so i will say that someone who is 25% spanish belongs to spain. at least he has a strong link to spain because a significant part of him is spanish and can claim it. and they have their own laws but its influenced by european culture. objectively you know im right, but you deny it for your own reasons. gypsies can celebrate all sides of them. that they are both indian and european.

Westbrook
11-06-2018, 02:01 AM
She looks like she's ready to start putting curses on people

Cristiano viejo
11-06-2018, 02:06 AM
you will say that someone who is 25% african belongs to africa so i will say that someone who is 25% spanish belongs to spain.
What you say does not matter.

at least he has a strong link to spain because a significant part of him is spanish and can claim it.
Strong link?? a sudaca from Perú, the typical Amerindian?? which link??

and they have their own laws but its influenced by european culture. objectively you know im right, but you deny it for your own reasons. gypsies can celebrate all sides of them. that they are both indian and european.

Gypsies in Spain consider themselves Gypsies and only Gypsies. Even someone from a non-Gypsy parent would consider himself (and the society will do too) only Gypsy.

Mortimer
11-06-2018, 02:12 AM
What you say does not matter.

Strong link?? a sudaca from Perú, the typical Amerindian?? which link??

Gypsies in Spain consider themselves Gypsies and only Gypsies. Even someone from a non-Gypsy parent would consider himself (and the society will do too) only Gypsy.

i bet gypsies in spain consider spain their homeland not india. but you say it doesnt matter how i view it, or what someone considers, for you only your own opinion is important and what you consider and maybe people who think like you. we didnt talked whether gypsies are gypsies but if they are indians.

Cristiano viejo
11-06-2018, 02:22 AM
i bet gypsies in spain consider spain their homeland not india.
Of course. But because they are so ignorant that they dont know from where they come :rolleyes:

Westbrook
11-06-2018, 02:35 AM
Of course. But because they are so ignorant that they dont know from where they come :rolleyes:
Are there gypsies in Spain?

Mortimer
11-06-2018, 02:45 AM

They left india 1.500 years ago though and are under influence of other cultures since a millenia. They have a long migration track behind them and settled since centuries in various places, they are part of Spanish culture and history just like Bullfighting. That they have history in india is not even written down or known. Gitanos got famous and known outside India. But I dont deny they have roots in india either. Some if they want should go to india, like this woman, and I wouldnt have posted it if I were against.

Mortimer
11-06-2018, 02:48 AM

Of course. Spain is famous for its Gypsies. Spain is the country in western europe with the most Gypsies. They are called Gitanos over there.

Cristiano viejo
11-06-2018, 02:53 AM

They left india 1.500 years ago though and are under influence of other cultures since a millenia. They have a long migration track behind them and settled since centuries in various places,
Excuses. You do know you come from India, why not them? because the average Gypsy person is stupid as fuck.

they are part of Spanish culture and history just like Bullfighting.
You wish xD

Of course. Spain is famous for its Gypsies. Spain is the country in western europe with the most Gypsies. They are called Gitanos over there.
You wish. Spain is famous for many things, not for having a Gypsy community where most of them are delinquents.

Mortimer
11-06-2018, 02:57 AM
Excuses. You do know you come from India, why not them? because the average Gypsy person is stupid as fuck.

Gypsies know that they migrated out of india. That has nothing to do with my argument whether they know it or not. All Gypsies I know are nothing stupid. Im connected to Gypsies on facebook. Im in many Gypsy Groups. And most Gypsies have facebook and internet and a quick wikipedia search can tell you that. If most africans and indians have facebook in india or africa then certainly most Gypsies have facebook in spain. But thats just something written on wikipedia not experienced since all of their ancestors since generations lived in spain. Thats why they think they are from Spain, but they know that a group of founders left india 1.500 years ago and became the gypsy ethnicity.

Cristiano viejo
11-06-2018, 03:04 AM
they know that a group of founders left india 1.500 years ago and became the gypsy ethnicity.

You overestimate the intelligence of Gypsies in Spain, I see :rolleyes:

Mortimer
11-07-2018, 02:47 AM
Seems to be one of those typical small indian shops

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45487154_921317941405532_4152359692984647680_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=c4a0c341f78c36d3d343b00877648d57&oe=5C422D3D

aherne
11-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Not only she passes, she looks textbook Indian. There is absolutely no way for her to pass as anything else but what she is (Indian). Interesting that her features are more typical for high caste people...

chalcogen
11-30-2018, 04:48 AM

Yeah my first thought was that her name reminded me of "Károlyi" in Hungarian.

I know in South India there are people who incorporate the city they were born into in their name, like this woman, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._S._Subbulakshmi) but I agree that that's likely not what's happening here with her last name. It's also the wrong part of India for where her people came from.

Good that she enjoyed travelling to a place she felt a connection with though!

Mortimer
11-30-2018, 04:51 AM
Yeah my first thought was that her name reminded me of "Károlyi" in Hungarian.

I know in South India there are people who incorporate the city they were born into in their name, like this woman, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._S._Subbulakshmi) but I agree that that's likely not what's happening here with her last name. It's also the wrong part of India for where her people came from.

Good that she enjoyed travelling to a place she felt a connection with though!

Its not the wrong place. Roma are not from Southindia. Many studies were brought already that roma originate from the northwestern parts of india.

https://bmcgenet.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12863-017-0547-x
Results
According to our analyses, Roma showed significant IBD sharing of 0.132 Mb with Northwest Indian ethnic groups. The most significant IBD sharings included ethnic groups of Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat states. However, we found also significant IBD sharing of 0.087 Mb with ethnic groups living in Pakistan, such as Balochi, Brahui, Burusho, Kalash, Makrani, Pashtun and Sindhi.
Conclusion
Our results show that Northwest India could play an important role in the South Asian ancestry of Roma, however, the origin of Romani people might include the area of Pakistan as well.

chalcogen
11-30-2018, 05:11 AM
Its not the wrong place. Roma are not from Southindia. Many studies were brought already that roma originate from the northwestern parts of india.

https://bmcgenet.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12863-017-0547-x
Results
According to our analyses, Roma showed significant IBD sharing of 0.132 Mb with Northwest Indian ethnic groups. The most significant IBD sharings included ethnic groups of Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat states. However, we found also significant IBD sharing of 0.087 Mb with ethnic groups living in Pakistan, such as Balochi, Brahui, Burusho, Kalash, Makrani, Pashtun and Sindhi.
Conclusion
Our results show that Northwest India could play an important role in the South Asian ancestry of Roma, however, the origin of Romani people might include the area of Pakistan as well.

Oh I just meant that Southern India isn't where they are from, not that they're not from South Asia. I know about the evidence from Northwest India, so that's why I said the southern part of India was wrong. I am not disagreeing with you. My apologies for not writing clearly!

Mortimer
11-30-2018, 05:15 AM
Oh I just meant that Southern India isn't where they are from, not that they're not from South Asia. I know about the evidence from Northwest India, so that's why I said the southern part of India was wrong. I am not disagreeing with you. My apologies for not writing clearly!

Ok true. Thanks. Well roma Tradition and Practice doesnt neccessary need to align with Indian Tradition and Practice though. Because roma arent exactly Indians and they are emigrants out of india, I believe myself that probably her surname isnt of Indian origins, but if it is it could be that roma incorparated the place of their origin in their Name, eventhough Indians dont do that, roma dont neccessarily need do that exactly what Indians do. They emigrated out of india and could have for that reason incorparated the place into their Name, eventhough other Indians from that part of india dont do that. Do you know what I mean?