PDA

View Full Version : In Iran or in Levant? In which region are light eyes and light hair more common?

cyberlorian
11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
In Iran or in Levant? In which region are light eyes and light hair more common?

Nazarene
11-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Levant

Khamzat
11-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Levant as a whole, but NW Iran is equal to the levant in frequency of light eyes and hair

Septentrion
11-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Levant

Overall I’d say the Levant. This could be due to more interracial admixture ( European + West Asian ).

Odelia
11-17-2023, 02:19 AM
Levant, but if Iran was restricted to the northwest then Iran would win (meaning if the lower bulk of Iran was a different country). NW Iran is not generally dark.

Tooting Carmen
11-17-2023, 08:54 AM
Probably the Levant, but the percentage of light hair (less so light eyes) is pretty low in both.

Babak
11-22-2023, 10:06 PM
Levant for sure. Though Iran(and even afghanistan) are too dark washed on anthroforums tbh. Baluchis and Bandaris are the darkest people out of everyone.

masoebu
11-22-2023, 11:05 PM
Levant but, I could be wrong, Iran seems to have more people with a European-like overall look (bone structure).

Kess
11-22-2023, 11:24 PM
Levant by small margin.

Septentrion
01-31-2024, 12:24 AM
In Iran or in Levant? In which region are light eyes and light hair more common?

Light eyes and light hair are naturally uncommon in both of these areas of the Middle East. This is why it's pretty hard to tell one from the other. Here and there, you'll see an "exotic - looking" Middle Eastern person with a fair skin, fair hair and decidedly light eyes. Although the Levant just edges out Iran on this one.

sacha
01-31-2024, 12:47 AM
Light eyes and light hair are naturally uncommon in both of these areas of the Middle East. This is why it's pretty hard to tell one from the other. Here and there, you'll see an "exotic - looking" Middle Eastern person with a fair skin, fair hair and decidedly light eyes. Although the Levant just edges out Iran on this one.

I don't know enough about Iran for a proper comparison, and I find these "who is more X or Y" threads a bit pointless in general. But I think for both, these traits in order of relative frequency look like this:

Fair skin >> light eyes >>>>> light hair

I don't think fair skin is as rare as people make it out to be. I'm defining 'light hair' as blonde or 'dirty blond' and not including light brown or red-brown. Pure black isn't super common but dark and medium brown are on top for sure. And for light eyes I mean up to hazel, but not light brown or that 'amber-brown' tone you see a lot.

Oghuz
01-31-2024, 12:59 AM
I will say it's kinda even.

It also depends upon certain groups within umbrella terms like "Iran" and "levant". North Western Iranians often produce blonde haired children who get darker with age.
Kurds, Tats, Lurs etc. Lighter Azeris usually have reddish hairs.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F7ANB2/blonde-kurdish-boy-during-ashura-celebration-the-day-of-the-death-F7ANB2.jpg
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/H9CBCA/iranian-boy-lights-candles-during-chehel-manbar-ceremony-on-tasua-H9CBCA.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/6168/6241294916_6186d85d68.jpg

Negah
02-24-2024, 02:09 PM
I don't know enough about Iran for a proper comparison, and I find these "who is more X or Y" threads a bit pointless in general. But I think for both, these traits in order of relative frequency look like this:

Fair skin >> light eyes >>>>> light hair

I don't think fair skin is as rare as people make it out to be. I'm defining 'light hair' as blonde or 'dirty blond' and not including light brown or red-brown. Pure black isn't super common but dark and medium brown are on top for sure. And for light eyes I mean up to hazel, but not light brown or that 'amber-brown' tone you see a lot.

I read that light eyes occur in 8-9% of Iranian populations and 10–12% of the Levant's populations. But I don't know how accurate the source was.

Negah
02-24-2024, 02:13 PM

The only place in the MENA region where light eyes are visible is in certain parts of Turkey. I have traveled the region, and it is clear to me that Turks tend to have a higher perception of lighter eyes than other people in the MENA region.