PDA

View Full Version : Is high school actually like the movies and TV portray it?

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:08 AM
So in about 2 years, I'll be going to high school. I've seen some movies and TV shows about high school, and I was wondering if the version of high school portrayed in these is how high school actually is? Like relationship drama everywhere, a lot of cliques, popular kids and nerds and jocks and stuff. Is high school actually like that, or is it a media image?

Iloko
11-26-2018, 05:30 AM
It can be if you go in with a charismatic frame of mind

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:31 AM
It can be if you go in with a charismatic frame of mind

How does high school work in Spain? Do you guys spend 4 years in high school and graduate at 18 like we do?

Iloko
11-26-2018, 05:33 AM
How does high school work in Spain? Do you guys spend 4 years in high school and graduate at 18 like we do?
I'm not Spanish, it's fake profile info lol. I'm actually Asian who grew up in America. In US it's 4 years in HS then graduation at 17/18 I believe :)

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:35 AM
I'm not Spanish, it's fake profile info lol. I'm actually Asian who grew up in America. In US it's 4 years in HS then graduation at 17/18 I believe :)

What kind of Asian are you?

Iloko
11-26-2018, 05:35 AM
What kind of Asian are you?
Filipino who grew up in USA(Midwestern Chicago)

RenaRyuguu
11-26-2018, 05:36 AM
Uh very rarely can it be. Movies and TV shows are scripted and want to portray an enjoyable school environment so that teens would enjoy the idea of school. It's propaganda basically. You should take a look at some of the teen movies that involve bullying and your whole idea of school changes instantly. My school was ok. No one was bullied or tortured. It wasn't like the movies because they banned us from having parties as it was a private school and my friends sucked cuz they weren't movie like friends and I'm not even friends with them anymore but I still love to watch those movies and pretend it was like that.

Morticia
11-26-2018, 05:39 AM
For me it definitely wasn't but that's because I was excruciatingly antisocial and didn't mesh well with the other students. In general high school isn't particularly extravagant and enjoyable as the media tends to portray it but I'm sure if you arrive with the right frame of mind you'll do alright.

Kazimiera
11-26-2018, 05:40 AM
So in about 2 years, I'll be going to high school. I've seen some movies and TV shows about high school, and I was wondering if the version of high school portrayed in these is how high school actually is? Like relationship drama everywhere, a lot of cliques, popular kids and nerds and jocks and stuff. Is high school actually like that, or is it a media image?

High school in 2 years? How old are you? 11? 12?

There were the cliques - the popular ones, nerds etc. But it wasn't nearly as dramatic as they make out in the movies. Every clique mainly stuck to itself and the dramas were inter-clique. If there was a drama between two "popular" girls it happened within that clique and nobody else knew or cared about it because it didn't affect them.

Then again, it may have changed a lot since I left high school long ago and I didn't go to school in the US.

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:40 AM
For me it wasn't but that's because I was excruciatingly antisocial and didn't mesh well with the other students. I'm sure if you arrive with the right frame of mind you'll do alright.

I'm worried that I might not fit in in high school.

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:41 AM
High school in 2 years? How old are you? 11? 12?

There were the cliques - the popular ones, nerds etc. But it wasn't nearly as dramatic as they make out in the movies. Every clique mainly stuck to itself and the dramas were inter-clique. If there was a drama between two "popular" girls it happened within that clique and nobody else knew or cared about it because it didn't affect them.

Then again, it may have changed a lot since I left high school long ago and I didn't go to school in the US.

I turned 13 earlier this month. How old are you?

RenaRyuguu
11-26-2018, 05:47 AM
I'm worried that I might not fit in in high school.

Anyone can fit in high school. Just be nice to everyone and find people who are similar to you to be friends with and don't try and be popular because it doesn't work that way.

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Anyone can fit in high school. Just be nice to everyone and find people who are similar to you to be friends with and don't try and be popular because it doesn't work that way.

Thanks

RenaRyuguu
11-26-2018, 05:49 AM
Thanks

And don't worry if you're not invited to someone's party or bday because it prob means you're not close enough to them or they don't deem you cool enough which is only a thing in high school and will pass in college and in college you will find actual friends and will forget about high school. Just survive high school by being nice and having friends with similar interests and ignore all the people that ignore you because they're only hormonal teens and are trying too hard

Kazimiera
11-26-2018, 05:54 AM
I turned 13 earlier this month. How old are you?

You could be mu baby!!

I turn 39 tomorrow . I finished high school in 1997. They had reunions after 10 and 20 years of some kind but I never went. I never attended any of those. It's mainly a show-off session to woo everyone in thinking how wonderful and successful you've become. Not, it's not for me. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

I'm turning 39 tomorrow.

Walvis
11-26-2018, 05:57 AM
[I]
I turn tomorow. I finished high school in 1997. They has reunions after 10 and 20 years for some kind but I never went. I never attended any of those. It's mainly a show-off session to woo everyone in thinking how wonderul you've become. Not, it's not for me.

I'm turning 39 tomorrow,

My first high school reunion would be in 2034, I think. I'd probably go, simply because I can't imagine life without my current school friends and acquaintances, and will probably want to check up on them by then.

But who knows just what the future brings?

Also, happy early birthday Kazmieria!

RenaRyuguu
11-26-2018, 05:59 AM
My first high school reunion would be in 2034, I think. I'd probably go, simply because I can't imagine life without my current school friends and acquaintances, and will probably want to check up on them by then.

Dude I stopped being friends with my best school friend when I was 14. Life happens. Just enjoy the now and don't worry about the stupid future. You're at the best age right now!

Kazimiera
11-26-2018, 06:41 AM

:lotsoflove:

Valedictorian
11-27-2018, 12:10 AM
For me high school was like having a job. Ironically the schedule was 8 to 5, so go figure. I would just try to be the student at all times, being very competitive and getting the best notes. I wouldn't call myself a social person, as I'm not really gregarious, friendly, or anything like that, but I did have a clique in which we would make fun of the dumbest guys in class.. and one time they almost sent me to the principal's office over a joke that went too far, lol. We had bullied a dude so badly that he ended up posting on FB that he was gonna kill himself, hahahah. Luckily I was able to pin the whole mess on someone else.

Interaction with the opposite sex was fairly dull.. girls would only talk to me so I would help them on a class assignment or some shit. And I really didn't put much effort into that area myself because they always said that they already had a boyfriend, so I focused almost entirely on my academics.

Walvis
11-27-2018, 12:24 AM
You could be mu baby!!

I'd happily let you adopt me if you promise to not be strict like my parents.

Colonel Frank Grimes
11-27-2018, 12:33 AM
First, you shouldn't be posting on this forum.

Second, it isn't. I was hoping high school would be like the Breakfast Club but it was nothing like The Breakfast Club. There weren't even clearly defined cliques.

Walvis
11-27-2018, 12:35 AM
First, you shouldn't be posting on this forum.

Second, it isn't. I was hoping high school would be like the Breakfast Club but it was nothing like The Breakfast Club. There weren't even clearly defined cliques.

13 year olds are allowed here, just like on Facebook.

Kazimiera
11-28-2018, 07:27 PM

It might be a little difficult the first month or two because you'll be in a place with a whole lot of new people and adjusting can take a while. But you'll soon find your place and you'll meet a whole lot of new people. Don't see it as something negative. It can be a little scary when you think about it now but I think you will enjoy it.

I'd happily let you adopt me if you promise to not be strict like my parents.

I'd probably let you run wild. There is a reason why I don't have kids. :lol:

Walvis
11-28-2018, 10:29 PM
It might be a little difficult the first month or two because you'll be in a place with a whole lot of new people and adjusting can take a while. But you'll soon find your place and you'll meet a whole lot of new people. Don't see it as something negative. It can be a little scary when you think about it now but I think you will enjoy it.

I'd probably let you run wild. There is a reason why I don't have kids. :lol:

Parents who let their kids run wild are better than strict parents. Seriously, having strict parents is awful, in some ways it's probably worse than being orphaned.