PDA

View Full Version : Who looks more alike: White Americans and White Canadians or White Argentinians and White Brazilians

Tooting Carmen
11-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Imo, White Americans and White Canadians look slightly more different from each other than do White Argentinians and White Brazilians, due to the fact that White Canadians have a much larger French input than do White Americans. By contrast, both White Argentinians and White Brazilians are essentially Iberian-Italian mixes with smaller minorities of other European ancestries. However, I'd like to know what others think.

xtal
11-29-2018, 12:17 AM
Just based off of their mentalities. Canadians arw whiter and even the non white Canadians too.

Joso
11-29-2018, 12:20 AM
It depends, whites from the South of Brazil like Rio Grande do Sul are very similar to Argentinians, they even have a similar culture.
But other Brazilians not so much.
Then, White Americans and White Canadians are more similar

Marinus
11-29-2018, 12:21 AM
Yeah I agree with you, Argentinian and Brazilian whites look very similar, it's those nations' brown people, ie. Argie mestizos and Brazilian pardos that are more distinct.

I think Canada's whites are less varied than the USA's.

Joso
11-29-2018, 12:23 AM
Yeah I agree with you, Argentinian and Brazilian whites look very similar, it's those nations' brown people, ie. Argie mestizos and Brazilian pardos that are more distinct.

I think Canada's whites are less varied than the USA's.

"Pardo" is not a very exact term btw and in RS the mixed persons also look like the Argentinain mestizos most of the time, except on the big cities

Marinus
11-29-2018, 12:30 AM
"Pardo" is not a very exact term btw and in RS the mixed persons also look like the Argentinain mestizos most of the time, except on the big cities

Yeah but in a general sense throughout all of Brazil, if you picked all the whites, the majority of them would be pale skinned and dark haired majority Iberian-Italian looking people, a lot like the Argentines. If you picked all of the brown people, the pardos, which as you said it yourself is not a very well-defined term, because people within that group vary so much, they would look distinct from the Argentinian mestizos. Northerners would probably be the closest to mestizos but they are a minority of the "pardo" population.

Erronkari
11-29-2018, 12:49 AM
It's tricky... because in Canada and USA many whites are more homogeneous in the sense that many of them became from one origin (not the most but many), because I think that many of them live in communities according their origin.
In Brazil and Argentina that usually happens in some rural areas or very little towns but in the cities most people mixed among different origins, so whites are mostly Euro melting pots, all people live together now in general.
Of course exist people like Argentano who is totally italian descendant or myself, in my case I am mostly of Basque origin, but the youngest people are mostly of diverse origin, and in Brazil I think it's very similar, especially in urban areas.
So, white americans/canadians are probably more similar among them.
I clarify... I am not saying that in USA/Canada most people only marry among others with same origin, I know they marry with other diasporas, but I think that at this time is more easy to find people with one ancestry or two than here and in Brazil. Even I could be wrong, I know.

alnortedelsur
11-29-2018, 01:00 AM
I voted "both in equal measure" but I think I should have voted for white Brazilians and white Argentinians. Both white populations are basically mostly Iberian/Italian with some minorities of other European ancestries.

White US Americans and white Canadians, on the other hand, differ in that white US Americans are mostly a British/Germanic mix but also with some important amount of other European contributions added into the mix, while white Canadians have a large percentage of French Canadians, and Anglo-Canadians are more overwhelmingly British compared to white Muricans.

Tooting Carmen
11-29-2018, 01:03 AM
I voted "both in equal measure" but I think I should have voted for white Brazilians and white Argentinians. Both white populations are basically mostly Iberian/Italian with some minorities of other European ancestries.

White US Americans and white Canadians, on the other hand, differ in that white US Americans are mostly a British/Germanic mix but also with some important amount of other European contributions added into the mix, while white Canadians have a large percentage of French Canadians, and Anglo-Canadians are more overwhelmingly British compared to white Muricans.

That's what I think too.:thumb001:

alnortedelsur
11-29-2018, 01:11 AM
That's what I think too.:thumb001:

But it would also depends on the region within US. Whites from New England are mostly of British stock (except in cities like Boston, where the white population is mostly Irish/Italian), and US American whites from most south Eastern states, including Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, and down south (the old south) are also mostly of British stock (including here English, Welsh, Scott and Irish).

Erronkari
11-29-2018, 01:26 AM

Yes, but more mixed among them... and people don't live in communities.
I think that is easier to find a canadian or an american of only one ancestry than an argentinian or a brazilian.
At least in big cities among the newest generations that's quite uncommon.
For that reason I think that canadians/americans are more similar between them... idk...

Kriptc06
11-29-2018, 01:31 AM
both in equal measure

Tooting Carmen
11-29-2018, 04:59 PM
bump

Catarinense1998
11-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Whites-Canadians and White-Americans are more pure; but, White-Brazilians and White-Argentines share more identycal euro heritages (iberian and italian).

Septentrion
11-30-2018, 12:15 AM
Imo, White Americans and White Canadians look slightly more different from each other than do White Argentinians and White Brazilians, due to the fact that White Canadians have a much larger French input than do White Americans. By contrast, both White Argentinians and White Brazilians are essentially Iberian-Italian mixes with smaller minorities of other European ancestries. However, I'd like to know what others think.

White Canadians and White Americans are very similar, many times indistinguishable. This I am saying from experience living there.

Seth MacFarlane
11-30-2018, 12:25 AM
Not sure about white Canadians as much so I’ll say Argentinans and Brazilians they’re pretty close from my experience

GreentheViper
11-30-2018, 08:02 PM
White Canadians and White Americans

Tooting Carmen
12-03-2018, 07:58 PM
bump

Latinus
12-10-2018, 02:45 AM
White Argentinians and White Brazilians.

McCloskey
12-10-2018, 03:04 AM
White Canadians and White Americans.

I rarely mistake any Argentinian for Brazilian. Despite common general backgrounds Euro-Brazilians and Euro-Argentinians don't look very much alike.
Don't know exactly why, but types very common in Argentina like Messi, Pavón (not sure if he's really White), Dybala or Crespo don't really look ''White Brazilian''.

White Argentinians who really look Brazilian are Higuaín or Franco Cervi for the whole of Brazil and Walter Kannemann for Southern Brazil. Even someone like Batistuta has a very ''porteño'' vibe and doesn't look very Brazilian.

Tooting Carmen
03-25-2019, 09:39 PM
bump

Awebo
03-26-2019, 02:05 AM
White Americans and non-Quebcois white Canadians.

Tooting Carmen
07-17-2019, 11:52 PM
bump

Westbrook
07-18-2019, 12:12 AM
Outside of a few areas in the US and Canada with high concentrations of Italians or French cancelling each other out, the bulk of America and Canada are way more similar than people realize.

hipaware
03-15-2020, 12:45 AM
White Americans and Non French Canadians. Even Italian Brazilians look distinct from Italian Argentines.

Tooting Carmen
03-15-2020, 01:01 AM
Even Italian Brazilians look distinct from Italian Argentines.

In what way?

Vicente Garcia
12-12-2021, 01:37 AM
White Canadians and white Americans are undistinguishable.

Smitty
12-12-2021, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I never see a Canadian and think they look any different than Americans. Rachel McAdams, Donald Sutherland, nothing odd-looking there.

Vicente Garcia
12-14-2021, 04:00 AM
Half of Hollywood is basically Canadian and I don't think people are giving it a second look.

Sasaolo68
12-14-2021, 04:01 AM
Both in equal measure

Rafael Passoni
12-14-2021, 04:50 AM
I've made an research that Brazil has 30 million Italian descendants, 25 million Portuguese descendants, 10 million Spanish descendants and 5 million German descendants. And there are some differences between its regions.
E.g.: In Rio Grande do Sul there are 11.29 million people and 3 illion italian descendants, 2.5 million German descendants. So about 1/3 German + 1/3 Italian.
Curitiba has 1.933.105 people and 300.000 Polish descendants.
South Brazil is very similar to Argentina, IMO.

alnortedelsur
12-14-2021, 05:33 AM
I've made an research that Brazil has 30 million Italian descendants, 25 million Portuguese descendants, 10 million Spanish descendants and 5 million german descendants. And there are some differences between its regions.
E.g.: In Rio Grande do Sul there are 11.29 million people and 3 illion italian descendants, 2.5 million German descendants. So about 1/3 german + 1/3 Italian.

Hmmm... it would be more similar to Argentina if its main European ancestries were Spanish and Italian, with the rest of Euro ancestries being very peripheral.

German and Polish ancestries in Argentina are not that prevalent as in southern Brazil. They are present in Argentina, but as very minority compared to Spanish and Italian ancestries.

Erronkari
12-14-2021, 11:39 AM
Edited.

Erronkari
12-14-2021, 11:40 AM
Hmmm... it would be more similar to Argentina if its main European ancestries were Spanish and Italian, with the rest of Euro ancestries being very peripheral.

German and Polish ancestries in Argentina are not that prevalent as in southern Brazil. They are present in Argentina, but as very minority compared to Spanish and Italian ancestries.

I agree, germanic and slavic ancestry in Argentina are clearly peripheral ancestries and minorities, nothing comparable with Italian and Spanish ancestries especially in the cities.
In Argentina in the biggest cities the only group who descend of people who migrated from central-north and Eastern Europe are the ashkenazi jewish.
The pockets of germanic and slavic descendants are just a few little towns in the countryside but they are minuscule comparable to Italian and Spanish descendants.

And the basis of the population was the Italian immigration, the Spanish immigration and the colonial stock.

South Brazil: Pan Euro descendants.
Argentina: Pan South-Euro Mediterranean descendants.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 10:29 PM
In what way?

Maybe some diferent vibes, not sure. But Italian-Argentines and Italian-Brazilians are very similar when it comes to their Italic stock and both differ from Italian-Americans, since the first two are more heterogenous (lot's of Northern Italians, but also many Terrones), while in the US the vast majority came from Southern Italy and Sicily.

Neopolitan accent influenced the Rio Platense Spanish, for example, it's interesting to remember it because when people picture Italian immigration to South America, they act like all of them were Northern Italians, when we also received many Southern ones.

Smaug
12-15-2021, 10:51 PM
White Americana and White Canadians are more similar. White Argentinians are a little darker than White Brazilians.

Tooting Carmen
12-15-2021, 10:56 PM
White Americana and White Canadians are more similar. White Argentinians are a little darker than White Brazilians.

Why would that be? Wouldn't the Quebecois pull White Canadians away from the majority of White Americans more than a few German and Venetian villages would pull White Brazilians away from White Argentinians?

Erronkari
12-15-2021, 10:57 PM

White Argentines are similar to white brazilians from the SE.
But if we add the south of Brazil is like you said, especially due to the Germanic and Slavic influence in S. B. and because most Italians who migrated to that area did from Veneto while who came to Argentina did from many different places and from north and south Italy around 50/50.

Erronkari
12-15-2021, 10:59 PM

But if we add the south of Brazil is like you said, especially due to the Germanic and Slavic influence in S. B. and because most Italians who migrated to that area did from Veneto while who came to Argentina did from many different places and from north and south Italy around 50/50.

Tooting Carmen
12-15-2021, 10:59 PM

And similarly, the Midwestern US is more Germanic than anywhere in Canada, while Quebec is more French/Latin than anywhere in the US (except perhaps the Northeast), so the comparison is apt.

luc2112
12-15-2021, 11:02 PM
Brazilian whites from São Paulo are similar to whites Argentineans. Southern Brazil is pan-euro with its own mix in my opinion. (Ibero+german), (Ibero+Slav+N.Italian) is that you find it here

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:02 PM

Also add Espírito Santo, one of the most forgotten states of Brazil, there, diferently from São Paulo, which also has a strong Calabrian and Campanian imput in it's capital, it's ethnic Italian stock is more similar to the Southern Brazilian region, a.k.a overwhelmingly Northern Italian, mainly Venetians.

http://ressurreicaonacionalista.blogspot.com/2020/02/imigracao-italiana-brasil.html

Smaug
12-15-2021, 11:07 PM
Why would that be? Wouldn't the Quebecois pull White Canadians away from the majority of White Americans more than a few German and Venetian villages would pull White Brazilians away from White Argentinians?

The Quebecois are not particularly darker than Anglo-Canadians.

I think São Paulo is more similar to Argentina, because most white Paulistas are of Italian or Iberian descent, with the difference that most of the immigration from Italy to São Paulo was from Veneto and other northern regions, while in Argentina it seems the Italian immigration was more evenly distributed throughout the country, with a big contribution from Southerners. That being said, in Brazil there is was also a significant immigration from Germany and other northern and eastern European countries, specially in the South, which probably makes White Brazilians plot a little more norntherly than White Argentinians in any ancestry chart.

Tooting Carmen
12-15-2021, 11:09 PM
The Quebecois are not particularly darker than Anglo-Canadians.

They are as different as, well, the British and French are. (I.e. more distinct at least in colouring, if not necessarily facial traits, than are Iberians and Italians).

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:11 PM
I still think white paulistas are more Portuguese than Italian, and in that state you have a significant minority of Italian-Wannabes that try to downgrade it's Iberian imput and act like they were Italians, when in many cases they are more Portuguese than Italian.

It's like in Argentina, they are very influenced by Italians, but the Spanish colonial + post-colonial imput is still higher than Italic, even if not by a big margin.

Paulistas (Brazil), Sulistas (Brazil) and Porteños (Argentina), not generalizing, are the most Euro wannabe Latinos, and have a strong fetish for non-Iberian European imput, mainly Italian and German.

Tooting Carmen
12-15-2021, 11:16 PM
I still think white paulistas are more Portuguese than Italian, and in that state you have a significant minority of Italian-Wannabes that try to downgrade it's Iberian imput and act like they were Italians, when in many cases they are more Portuguese than Italian.

It's like in Argentina, they are very influenced by Italians, but the Spanish colonial + post-colonial imput is still higher than Italic, even if not by a big margin.

Paulistas (Brazil), Sulistas (Brazil) and Porteños (Argentina), not generalizing, are the most Euro wannabe Latinos, and have a strong fetish for non-Iberian European imput, mainly Italian and German.

Well at least they have some genuine grounds for it, unlike e.g. Dominican mulattoes.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:21 PM
Well at least they have some genuine grounds for it, unlike e.g. Dominican mulattoes.

More or less, since:
- Most of them have small non-European admixture.
- And more importantly, they weren't raised in Europe, so they don't think, act, speak, eat... like Europeans.

I've seen some real complexed Brazilians on web (and I had some of these thoughts in the past, but related to cultural closeness) that said they were Italians, when they never set foot there and had colonial ancestry as well... These types looked down on people from less white regions, when in Europe they would be seen as... just another Brazilian, which they are.

Smaug
12-15-2021, 11:31 PM
They are as different as, well, the British and French are. (I.e. more distinct at least in colouring, if not necessarily facial traits, than are Iberians and Italians).

I believe many Quebecois are mixed with Northern European ethnicities, at least that was my impression when I visited Quebéc, they didn't really differ much from Ontarians.

Not really, São Paulo is more Italian than Portuguese, not by a large margin, but enough to be noticeable. Nearly everyone has Italian ancestry in SP, even non-Whites, which is remarkable if you consider the colonization process that took place here.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:33 PM
I believe many Quebecois are mixed with Northern European ethnicities, at least that was my impression when I visited Quebéc, they didn't really differ much from Ontarians.

Not really, São Paulo is more Italian than Portuguese, not by a large margin, but enough to be noticeable. Nearly everyone has Italian ancestry in SP, even non-Whites, which is remarkable if you consider the colonization process that took place here.

That's what I'm saying, and nope, many paulistas have 0% Italian ancestry.

Tooting Carmen
12-15-2021, 11:33 PM

In Montreal no doubt. But go to the countryside and you'll see quite a few decidedly un-British faces, most famously:
https://s.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/GTY_celine_dion_rene_mm_160203_4x3t_992.jpg

Smaug
12-15-2021, 11:36 PM
That's what I'm saying, and nope, many paulistas have 0% Italian ancestry.

Yes, Asians, Jews, Blacks and Northeasterners.

In Montreal no doubt. But go to the countryside and you'll see quite a few decidedly un-British faces, most famously:
https://s.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/GTY_celine_dion_rene_mm_160203_4x3t_992.jpg

Un-British, true, but not un-American, which is my point: White Canadians and White Americans are more similar. You have to remember that most White Americans are of German descent, not British.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:40 PM
Yes, Asians, Jews, Blacks and Northeasterners.
All of them are paulistas as well, and the same applies to people with no ancestry from these groups, many white paulistas have 0% Italian blood, and many that have it are outnumbered by Portuguese.

Paulistas brag about Italianess, but they have a strong Southern Italian imput, which is genetically borderline European (not an offense to me) and the poorest part of Italy, LOL.

Sasaolo68
12-15-2021, 11:40 PM
Yes, Asians, Jews, Blacks and Northeasterners

What about the Spanish and Levantine Arab communities from São Paulo?? There is many of them...

Sasaolo68
12-15-2021, 11:43 PM
All of them are paulistas as well, and the same applies to people with no ancestry from these groups, many white paulistas have 0% Italian blood, and many that have it are outnumbered by Portuguese.

Paulistas brag about Italianess, but they have a strong Southern Italian imput, which is genetically borderline European (not an offense to me) and the poorest part of Italy, LOL.They just do it for gatekeeping Cariocas, Mineiros and Northerners...
They use that heritage of them just to feel different and superior towards other Brazilians.

But not all paulistas are like that of course...

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:43 PM
What about the Spanish and Levantine Arab communities from São Paulo?? There is many of them...

Spaniards are not pop in Brazil, and Lebanese are not fetishized as Italians. "My nonna grandma cooks polenta everyday, see my surname, are you aware I'm italian?"

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:45 PM
They just do it for gatekeeping Cariocas, Mineiros and Northerners...
They use that heritage of them just to feel different and superior towards other Brazilians.

But not all paulistas are like that of course...

Of course, but by that logic, Southern Brazilians and Capixabas are above them, since they lack a strong Southern Italian imput that SP capital has, but they tend to hide it, because it's shameful to have a Levantine conection, :cool:

Smaug
12-15-2021, 11:45 PM

Paulistas brag about Italianess, but they have a strong Southern Italian imput, which is genetically borderline European (not an offense to me) and the poorest part of Italy, LOL.

São Paulo received immigrants from the South too, mainly from Calabria, still the Northern contribution was way more important. If you look at the immigration patterns between 1890 and 1950 you will see that North Italian influx to SP outweights South Italian influx almost 5 to 1.

Spaniards and Arabs are usually mixed with Italians. My fiancée for example is half Lebanese and half Italian.

Sasaolo68
12-15-2021, 11:48 PM
Of course, but by that logic, Southern Brazilians and Capixabas are above them, since they lack a strong Southern Italian imput that SP capital has, but they tend to hide it, because it's shameful to have a Levantine conection, :cool:Actually some Paranaenses also have some Levantine heritage as well, but many of them hide that on the internet, but they tend to kiss more Italian and German asses haha.

Enviado de meu SM-A105M usando o Tapatalk

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:50 PM
São Paulo received immigrants from the South too, mainly from Calabria, still the Northern contribution was way more important. If you look at the immigration patterns between 1890 and 1950 you will see that North Italian influx to SP outweights South Italian influx almost 5 to 1.

That is true, but the Southern imput should never be forgotten.

Smaug
12-15-2021, 11:51 PM
That is true, but the Southern imput should never be forgotten.

It isn't, some neighbourhoods in São Paulo City, like Mooca, are mostly South Italian and they are very proud of their heritage.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:53 PM
It isn't, some neighbourhoods in São Paulo City, like Mooca, are mostly South Italian and they are very proud of their heritage.

I'm talking about these Italian wanabes on the web, not regular paulistanos.

Tooting Carmen
12-15-2021, 11:53 PM
Un-British, true, but not un-American, which is my point: White Canadians and White Americans are more similar. You have to remember that most White Americans are of German descent, not British.

If anything, Mlle Dion and her late husband would pass even less well as German than as British... And just like the Italian and Iberian ancestries in White South Americans, German is often overestimated and British underestimated among White Americans.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:54 PM
Actually some Paranaenses also have some Levantine heritage as well, but many of them hide that on the internet, but they tend to kiss more Italian and German asses haha.

Enviado de meu SM-A105M usando o Tapatalk

Why would they hide, since Lebanese have more money on average than Italians and Germans?

Sasaolo68
12-15-2021, 11:56 PM
Why would they hide, since Lebanese have more money on average than Italians and Germans?But they hide it more on the internet, that is why, regular people don't gives a shit lmao...

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:56 PM
If anything, Mlle Dion and her late husband would pass even less well as German than as British... And just like the Italian and Iberian ancestries in White South Americans, German is often overestimated and British underestimated among White Americans.

Yeah, while not as "homogenously Brit" as Australians, white Americans are still more Brit than Germans, and we can see by the past census, when in the last century most identified with their British heritage, but suddently it dropped in favour of German.

I think most German-Americans are simply people with one recent German ancestor and the rest Old Stock Briton.

Latinus
12-15-2021, 11:57 PM
But they hide it more on the internet, that is why, regular people doesn't gives a shit lmao...

But why? Because Lebanese are non-Euro and swarthy?

Smaug
12-16-2021, 12:00 AM

I don't think Italian and Iberian ancestry are overestimated amongst White South Americans, they are really the most prevalent ancestries found in this demographic, just like the US today is way more continental European than British.

Sasaolo68
12-16-2021, 12:02 AM
But why? Because Lebanese are non-Euro and swarthy?Probably... Most people on the internet have many insecurities about their appearence, including some separatists from social media.

Tooting Carmen
12-16-2021, 12:02 AM
I don't think Italian and Iberian ancestry are overestimated amongst White South Americans, they are really the most prevalent ancestries found in this demographic, just like the US today is way more continental European than British.

I meant Italian gets overestimated while Iberian gets underestimated among Brazilians and Argentines. And I strongly doubt that continental Euro ancestry in the US overall outweighs British ancestry - certainly not in the Southern states, at any rate.

luc2112
12-16-2021, 12:07 AM
Actually some Paranaenses also have some Levantine heritage as well, but many of them hide that on the internet, but they tend to kiss more Italian and German asses haha.

Lebanese are recent and don't like to mix. Paraná is more Slavic (Polaco) than anything else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2oLIepqo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR5fJfKPOI8

Latinus
12-16-2021, 12:08 AM
I meant Italian gets overestimated while Iberian gets underestimated among Brazilians and Argentines. And I strongly doubt that continental Euro ancestry in the US overall outweighs British ancestry - certainly not in the Southern states, at any rate.

Italians are the cool ethnicity here, just like the Irish in the US. But when the Irish wanabbe Murican takes a test, for his sadness, he discovers he is more English than Irish, the same for "Italian-Brazilians", which have lot's of Tuga/colonial ancestry.

Like Danilo Gentili:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/2019_Presidente_Jair_Bolsonaro_no_Programa_The_Noi te_do_SBT_-_47968955187_%28cropped%29.jpg/1200px-2019_Presidente_Jair_Bolsonaro_no_Programa_The_Noi te_do_SBT_-_47968955187_%28cropped%29.jpg

Gentili was born in Santo André, the youngest son of a housewife and a typewriter technician. He is of Italian descent. His paternal grandfather, Ulderico Gentili, was a church painter who left Italy for São Paulo, Brazil, during World War II. He was raised in the tenements of Parque das Nações neighborhood near Santo André, and later moved to São Paulo. When he was 18, his father died of a heart attack. Six months later his older sibling, Karina Gentili, died in a car accident.

But then in the Portuguese wiki we became aware that he has more than one Portuguese surname:

Danilo Gentili Junior é filho caçula de Guiomar Pereira do Nascimento, assistente social aposentada, nascida na cidade mineira de Bueno Brandão, e de Danilo Gentili, técnico de máquina de escrever nascido em Botucatu, no interior paulista.[5] Ulderico Gentili, avô paterno de Danilo Junior, era italiano, um pintor de arte sacra que imigrou para o Brasil durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, estabelecendo-se no interior de São Paulo.

And he is not an exception among "Italian-paulistas/paulistanos", but the norm.

Tutankhamun
12-16-2021, 01:26 AM
Italians are the cool ethnicity here, just like the Irish in the US. But when the Irish wanabbe Murican takes a test, for his sadness, he discovers he is more English than Irish, the same for "Italian-Brazilians", which have lot's of Tuga/colonial ancestry.

Like Danilo Gentili:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/2019_Presidente_Jair_Bolsonaro_no_Programa_The_Noi te_do_SBT_-_47968955187_%28cropped%29.jpg/1200px-2019_Presidente_Jair_Bolsonaro_no_Programa_The_Noi te_do_SBT_-_47968955187_%28cropped%29.jpg

But then in the Portuguese wiki we became aware that he has more than one Portuguese surname:

And he is not an exception among "Italian-paulistas/paulistanos", but the norm.

I have a similar origin to his, the only difference is that my Italian side comes from my maternal great-grandfather, and my colonial side is from São Paulo and Ceará (paternal grandfather)

São Paulo is a very Italian state, but no more Italian than Portuguese, in addition to our great Portuguese colonial past, São Paulo received many Portuguese immigrants after independence, many famous paulistas are descendants of Portuguese immigrants like the late Gugu Liberato, actress Laura Cardoso, and also actress Lilia Cabral, Amácio Mazzaropi (Portuguese immigrant mother)

Latinus
12-16-2021, 01:31 AM
I have a similar origin to his, the only difference is that my Italian side comes from my maternal great-grandfather, and my colonial side is from São Paulo and Ceará (paternal grandfather)

São Paulo is a very Italian state, but no more Italian than Portuguese, in addition to our great Portuguese colonial past, São Paulo received many Portuguese immigrants after independence, many famous paulistas are descendants of Portuguese immigrants like the late Gugu Liberato, actress Laura Cardoso, and also actress Lilia Cabral, Amácio Mazzaropi (Portuguese immigrant mother)

https://c.tenor.com/OqZ3-4d7jyUAAAAC/rock-clapping.gif

SilverKnight
12-16-2021, 01:35 AM
More "white" as in more Anglo- saxon/ germanic ?? .. Well in that case white Canadians/ Americans

Tooting Carmen
12-16-2021, 01:41 AM
More "white" as in more Anglo- saxon/ germanic ?? .. Well in that case white Canadians/ Americans

No no no. I mean: is there more similarity in appearance between White Americans and White Canadians, or between White Brazilians and White Argentinians?

SilverKnight
12-16-2021, 02:01 AM
White Ameri/ Canadians, yes .....(except for Quebecois canadians).... Brazilians and Argens, not so much as Brazilian whites vary drastically from the southern Euro looking ones, the central Euro/ Germanic one... and a times a mix of both. The excpetion would probably be between regular Argentinian whites and brazilians with heavy italian and spanish influences.

hangh
06-15-2023, 10:51 PM
It's tricky... because in Canada and USA many whites are more homogeneous in the sense that many of them became from one origin (not the most but many), because I think that many of them live in communities according their origin.
In Brazil and Argentina that usually happens in some rural areas or very little towns but in the cities most people mixed among different origins, so whites are mostly Euro melting pots, all people live together now in general.
Of course exist people like Argentano who is totally italian descendant or myself, in my case I am mostly of Basque origin, but the youngest people are mostly of diverse origin, and in Brazil I think it's very similar, especially in urban areas.
So, white americans/canadians are probably more similar among them.
I clarify... I am not saying that in USA/Canada most people only marry among others with same origin, I know they marry with other diasporas, but I think that at this time is more easy to find people with one ancestry or two than here and in Brazil. Even I could be wrong, I know.

…no. Mixed whites are far more common in the US than any of them. Far more Europeans of all types migrated to the US than the rest of the countries.

hangh
06-15-2023, 10:53 PM
But it would also depends on the region within US. Whites from New England are mostly of British stock (except in cities like Boston, where the white population is mostly Irish/Italian), and US American whites from most south Eastern states, including Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, and down south (the old south) are also mostly of British stock (including here English, Welsh, Scott and Irish).

No, whites from New England (the populated regions of New England) tend to be Italian, Irish, French, or Portuguese. There’s significant French and French Canadian contributions to the British ancestry found in Northern New England regions like New Hampshire and Maine.

hangh
06-15-2023, 10:59 PM
White Canadians and White Americans are very similar, many times indistinguishable. This I am saying from experience living there.

No they’re not. White Canadians often are very pale, have fair, sandy, or black hair, and often have rounder, softer features (sometimes gaunter, too, given the French contribution). The Slavic contribution is a bit more noticeable in White Canadians. Many Canadians have a vaguely Castizoid look.

Americans from the Midwest and West are more distinctly Nordid, Subnordid, or Tronder than Canadians, with blonde hair and lighter colored eyes. Americans also have blockier, more angular, more Germanic and Central European features on average, and also are more likely to have Italian/Greek/Hispanic intermixed. White Americans are more likely to have brown, red (in the South and Mid-Atlantic) or darker blonde hair, and they’ll probably look more tan on average. White Americans from the south are more likely to have vaguely negroid features.

Metropolitan Canadians that do have southern Euro features tend to be more unmixed and gracile-looking, wheres white Americans with similar ancestry are more mixed and tend to lean more robust, with slightly lighter, more Atlanto-Med, Paleo-Atlantid, or even Faelid appearances.

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:12 PM
Outside of a few areas in the US and Canada with high concentrations of Italians or French cancelling each other out, the bulk of America and Canada are way more similar than people realize.

No, they’re not, and both of those “concentrations” make tons of difference, considering there are give or take 20 million Americans with Italian ancestry.

I love when some foreigner tries to undermine the superlative amount of immigration the US received from all over Europe to pretend that Canada is the same. Canada has 38 million. The US has 338 million.

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:13 PM
Half of Hollywood is basically Canadian and I don't think people are giving it a second look.

No, it’s not.

Why are Canadians so insecure?

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:15 PM
I've made an research that Brazil has 30 million Italian descendants, 25 million Portuguese descendants, 10 million Spanish descendants and 5 million German descendants. And there are some differences between its regions.
E.g.: In Rio Grande do Sul there are 11.29 million people and 3 illion italian descendants, 2.5 million German descendants. So about 1/3 German + 1/3 Italian.

Brazil does not have 30 million Italian ethnics. That’s an overcount. It’s more like 23 to 25 million. There was never the immigration of Italians in such numbers to Brazil to support an Italian ethnic population of 30 million.

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:17 PM
And similarly, the Midwestern US is more Germanic than anywhere in Canada, while Quebec is more French/Latin than anywhere in the US (except perhaps the Northeast), so the comparison is apt.

It is definitely not more Latin. Quebec is French-British mixed. Nowhere in Canada is as Latin as almost anywhere in US, full stop

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:19 PM

No, British is not. Of the 4 countries, the US is the one that has its immigration most understated and it’s “original colonizing population” most overstated in ethnic contribution.

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:22 PM
Yeah, while not as "homogenously Brit" as Australians, white Americans are still more Brit than Germans, and we can see by the past census, when in the last century most identified with their British heritage, but suddently it dropped in favour of German.

I think most German-Americans are simply people with one recent German ancestor and the rest Old Stock Briton.

You can’t see that in any census, and no, the vast majority of Americans have multigenerational German ancestry with minimal or distant British heritage.

Your post doesn’t remotely go far enough in distinguishing the ethnic differences between Australians and Americans. It’s practically night and day. Australia is absolutely DOMINATED by British ancestry, with millions of contemporary British migrants adding to this count. Australia so only British colonization, and no slave populations. It received 1/18th of the immigrants the US did for a much shorter period of time, much more recently. The attempt to relate white Americans to white Australians in this way highlights the absurdity of trying to pretend white Americans are just British people. It’s unbelievable

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:23 PM

You’re most obsessed with the southern states why? They’re the least interesting, the most racially diverse, and saw the least immigration, and they’re historically rural, so they're not as significant to the American population. You’re just bitter for some reason

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:25 PM
White Ameri/ Canadians, yes .....(except for Quebecois canadians).... Brazilians and Argens, not so much as Brazilian whites vary drastically from the southern Euro looking ones, the central Euro/ Germanic one... and a times a mix of both. The excpetion would probably be between regular Argentinian whites and brazilians with heavy italian and spanish influences.

White Brazilians and Argentines vary much less than White Americans.

People are so delusional about White Americans. A bunch of ugly British people constantly trying to be like “you’re just like us!” No, we’re not. Thank you.

Similarly, a bunch of Latin Americans who want to pretend they saw all the immigration the US did trying to act like Americans are transplanted British people because of their anger at "colonizers" and their victim complex.

Flamingo
06-15-2023, 11:25 PM
Most likely White Americans and Canadians. Same heritage. German, British, Irish mix. Argentinians are mostly Italian and Brazilians Iberian.

hangh
06-15-2023, 11:36 PM
Most likely White Americans and Canadians. Same heritage. German, British, Irish mix. Argentinians are mostly Italian and Brazilians Iberian.

This is completely false, though. Canadians and White Americans do not have the same heritage. White Canadians don't have the same German heritage Americans do, so why would you claim this is shared? White Americans don't have the same French heritage Canadians do.

1) White Brazilians, Argentines, and Canadians are more homogeneous ethnically, especially the two South American countries. They tend to look Iberian (not Italian - Iberian).

2) White Americans are the most heterogeneous of the bunch by far and are much more distinctly Pan-European with faces that look more Continental or Central European. White Canadians tend to look vaguely Belgian, Breton, and British.

3) White Brazilians tend to have more Black contribution, Argentines more Native. The same is roughly true of White Americans vs Canadians.

4) The line between White Americans and similar populations in Latin America is blurring as Mexicans and other Latinos intermix with a white population in the US, that already has a historic Spanish element. This contribution ads another layer of complexity, and absolutely means the differences between White Americans and White Canadians are much starker and more significant than the differences between Brazilians and Argentines.

Flamingo
06-16-2023, 03:08 AM
This is completely false, though. Canadians and White Americans do not have the same heritage. White Canadians don't have the same German heritage Americans do, so why would you claim this is shared? White Americans don't have the same French heritage Canadians do.

1) White Brazilians, Argentines, and Canadians are more homogeneous ethnically, especially the two South American countries. They tend to look Iberian (not Italian - Iberian).

2) White Americans are the most heterogeneous of the bunch by far and are much more distinctly Pan-European with faces that look more Continental or Central European. White Canadians tend to look vaguely Belgian, Breton, and British.

3) White Brazilians tend to have more Black contribution, Argentines more Native. The same is roughly true of White Americans vs Canadians.

4) The line between White Americans and similar populations in Latin America is blurring as Mexicans and other Latinos intermix with a white population in the US, that already has a historic Spanish element. This contribution ads another layer of complexity, and absolutely means the differences between White Americans and White Canadians are much starker and more significant than the differences between Brazilians and Argentines.

Most Argentinian football players look fully Euro to me. I know they are mostly (or at least often) descendants from Italian immigrants. I feel they look slightly different than Brazilian Euros, but ok - could be wrong.
As for American and Canadian whites, they look on average the same to me. They are not different races. So the ones from South America look more South European for sure. Anyway, this thread is about looks, not heritage. Most people can´t tell the difference between Pan-European and Belgian etc.

alnortedelsur
06-16-2023, 06:00 AM

Argentinian European ancestry is mostly Italian AND Spanish, not only Italian, lol

Septentrion
05-17-2024, 05:00 PM
It is definitely not more Latin. Quebec is French-British mixed. Nowhere in Canada is as Latin as almost anywhere in US, full stop

There are places in Canada that are extremely Latin ( in this case extremely French!). It is not everyone that’s British or Anglo-Saxon admixed in Quebec. Many Québécois can look pretty French.

MrCuriosity
05-17-2024, 05:30 PM
Non-French White Canadians and White Americans have the same exact European components and probably in similar proportions. Don't exaggerate how British and Irish Canadians are. I voted Yanks and Canadians, but should have voted both in equal measure perhaps. Not much difference between white cariocas and argies, either.

MrCuriosity
05-17-2024, 05:38 PM
There are places in Canada that are extremely Latin ( in this case extremely French!). It is not everyone that’s British or Anglo-Saxon admixed in Quebec. Many Québécois can look pretty French.

French Canadians have been studied by genealogists and geneticists and are overwhelmingly descended from French colonial settlers from the 17th century. Just 10.000 of them initially and some came in the 18th century too, but not too many. They are like on average 10% other European(British Isles,German and a little Italian too I think) from assimilated immigrants in Quebec, but vast majority of past European immigrants to Quebec in the past were assimilated to Anglophone minority in Quebec. They also have like 1-2 % Amerindian according to two different studies I've seen. They are quite French. Anglophone minority in Quebec used to be larger and majority in Montreal until late in the 20th century. It declined after early 70s Quebecois politicians made French sole official language of province.

tropicalslavic
05-17-2024, 05:42 PM
White Americans are such a mixed bag.

In the South, you have mostly people like my husband who are entirely descended from the British Isles, with trace amounts of other Western European groups at most. I am talking like 1/8 German or Spanish (in his case Norwegian). Families living here since before the country was founded and pretty much only coming from that mixture.

In the North (and West), you have white people descended from every corner of Europe. For example there are not really many people in the South who are part Polish or part Greek without it being from people who moved here within the past century - virtually unheard of outside of big cities, which are not representative of the South culturally/ethnically anyway IMHO. In other parts of the country, you have significantly more Eastern and Southern European mixture. Midwestern people are largely German and Scandinavian. Southwest does have a lot more Mediterranean. Pacific Northwest has everything.

So it makes it difficult to say what a "white American" looks like, really.

I voted "both in equal measure", because as far as I'm aware, Brazilians and Argentinians have similar European elements floating around their countries. Although I do think they have a bit more common with each other than US and Canadians do, but not by enough to make me feel like I could ever tell a Canadian and American apart just by looks alone (unless the Canadian was ultra-French looking).

MrCuriosity
05-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Anglo-Canadians are in sizeable part descended from late 18th, 19th and early 20th century American migrants, which explains why Canadian English is so almost identical with American English, especially pronunciation,the accent etc. Canadians also have a good amount of German, Scandinavian, Polish ,Italian and other Euro ancestry like Americans. I think some of you exaggerate how non-British Isles White Americans are and how British Isles Canadians are. Canadians are probably just a little more British by blood.

Creoda
05-18-2024, 04:02 AM
Anglo-Canadians are in sizeable part descended from late 18th, 19th and early 20th century American migrants, which explains why Canadian English is so almost identical with American English, especially pronunciation,the accent etc. Canadians also have a good amount of German, Scandinavian, Polish ,Italian and other Euro ancestry like Americans. I think some of you exaggerate how non-British Isles White Americans are and how British Isles Canadians are. Canadians are probably just a little more British by blood.
I agree. Canada's average AncestryDNA result from 2017:
https://i.postimg.cc/x10nW9b7/canada-dna.jpg
It would look different now since the categories were refined and improved, but still, pretty mixed indeed. Not all that different from the US averages on 23andme. Only Atlantic Canada is overwhelmingly British Isles.

Septentrion
05-18-2024, 03:12 PM
White Americans are such a mixed bag.

In the South, you have mostly people like my husband who are entirely descended from the British Isles, with trace amounts of other Western European groups at most. I am talking like 1/8 German or Spanish (in his case Norwegian). Families living here since before the country was founded and pretty much only coming from that mixture.

In the North (and West), you have white people descended from every corner of Europe. For example there are not really many people in the South who are part Polish or part Greek without it being from people who moved here within the past century - virtually unheard of outside of big cities, which are not representative of the South culturally/ethnically anyway IMHO. In other parts of the country, you have significantly more Eastern and Southern European mixture. Midwestern people are largely German and Scandinavian. Southwest does have a lot more Mediterranean. Pacific Northwest has everything.

So it makes it difficult to say what a "white American" looks like, really.

I voted "both in equal measure", because as far as I'm aware, Brazilians and Argentinians have similar European elements floating around their countries. Although I do think they have a bit more common with each other than US and Canadians do, but not by enough to make me feel like I could ever tell a Canadian and American apart just by looks alone (unless the Canadian was ultra-French looking).

White Americans are pretty much very European as a whole (98.6% European by DNA). The most “Anglo-Saxon” states in America (per capita) are not in the Deep South as you said. These are the top 7 Anglo-Saxon states in the US :
1) Utah (Midwestern)
2) Maine (Northeastern)
3) Idaho (Midwestern)
4) Vermont (Northeastern)
5) New Hampshire (Northeastern)
6) Montana (Western)
7) Oregon (Western)

Septentrion
05-18-2024, 03:16 PM
I agree. Canada's average AncestryDNA result from 2017:
https://i.postimg.cc/x10nW9b7/canada-dna.jpg
It would look different now since the categories were refined and improved, but still, pretty mixed indeed. Not all that different from the US averages on 23andme. Only Atlantic Canada is overwhelmingly British Isles.

This is pretty misleading as you are looking at the entire Canadian nation. You should look more at specific groups.

MrCuriosity
05-18-2024, 03:17 PM
White Americans are pretty much very European as a whole (98.6% European by DNA). The most “Anglo-Saxon” states in America (per capita) are not in the Deep South as you said. These are the top 7 Anglo-Saxon states in the US :
1) Utah (Midwestern)
2) Maine (Northeastern)
3) Idaho (Midwestern)
6) Montana (Western)
7) Oregon (Western)

You are basing it on self reported ancestry in the US census, which is rubbish. It is well known English ancestry is highly unreported in their census. Of course Southern whites are the most English and British Isles(Scottish, Welsh, Scots-Irish and Irish too) descended Americans on average. And Utah and Idaho are Western, not Midwestern.

Creoda
05-19-2024, 08:13 AM
1) Utah (Midwestern)
2) Maine (Northeastern)
3) Idaho (Midwestern)
6) Montana (Western)
7) Oregon (Western)
The states with the highest percentage of English ancestry according to the 2020 US Census are as follows:

1. Utah - 39.8%
2. Maine - 29.2%
3. Idaho - 28.3%
4. Alabama - 28.2%
5. Kentucky - 27.5%
6. Tennessee - 26.6%
7. Mississippi - 26.4%
8. Vermont - 26.3%
9. North Carolina - 26.2%
10. Virginia - 25.9%
11. Georgia - 25.7%
12. West Virginia - 25.6%
13. Arkansas - 25.3%
14. South Carolina - 25.1%
15. New Hampshire - 24.2%
16. Oregon - 23.3%
17. Oklahoma - 23.2%
18. Hawaii - 22.6%
19. Wyoming - 22.6%
20. Washington - 22.5%

Utah is IMO only so much higher than anywhere else because unlike other Americans most of their English ancestry came after US independence, in the mid 19th century. Genetics and surnames suggests Whites in the Deep South are more British, if not English.

frankhammer
05-19-2024, 09:40 AM
So there are now roughly 150,000,000 of us. Not too shabby for a little island off the coast.

Valenman
05-19-2024, 10:07 AM
I would say that white Brazilians are the ones who differentiate the most from the rest of Latinos, simply because in general white Latinos are all Basically Iberians mixed with Italians and that in some cases they have something more but it is not common and in case she is not a lot.But many white Brazilians do have ancestry from Central or Northern Europe.Also, along with Argentina, Uruguay and Cuba, they are one of the few where a considerable number of people 90%+ euro

Creoda
05-19-2024, 03:10 PM
So there are now roughly 150,000,000 of us. Not too shabby for a little island off the coast.
The sheep don't count!

guyinsf
05-23-2024, 04:16 AM

You know that Celine's husband was Syrian and Lebanese right?

Tooting Carmen
05-23-2024, 05:40 AM
You know that Celine's husband was Syrian and Lebanese right?

Yep, my bad.