PDA

View Full Version : Iberia. Western Europe or Southern Europe?

cyberlorian
12-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Spain and Portugal. Western Europe or Southern Europe?

Token
12-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Southwestern Europe.

Teutone
12-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Both

Autrigón
12-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Spain and Portugal. Western Europe or Southern Europe?Take a map.

alnortedelsur
12-03-2018, 06:28 PM
South Western Europe. They are as western European in all senses (including the racial sense), as France, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, etc. Like it or not.

Valedictorian
12-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Southwestern Europe.

nittionia
12-03-2018, 06:38 PM
southwest, but to pick between the west or south: south. home of bullfighting dance belongs in south europe.

Erronkari
12-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Simple, southwestern.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Such a silly question.....it is Southwestern Europe,so both Southern ad Western Europe,like Italy is....yes Italy is Western Europe....south Europe is Iberia,Italy and Greece and Balkans

Inviato dal mio RNE-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

LawrenceMartinez
12-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Both

GreentheViper
12-03-2018, 06:45 PM
I'd say Southern Europe as my first thought but not as South as say, the Balkans.

Teutone
12-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Western Europe for me, its not only a geographical term.

https://lizardpoint.com/geography/images/maps/europe-west.gif

Mingle
12-03-2018, 06:47 PM
South-Western Europe similar to Italy and Southern France.

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 06:47 PM
I'd say Southern Europe as my first thought but not as South as say, the Balkans.

In what sense? Most of the Balkans are not really Southern Europe, either genetically or culturally.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
In what sense? Most of the Balkans are not really Southern Europe, either genetically or culturally.Geographically they are

GreentheViper
12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
In what sense? Most of the Balkans are not really Southern Europe, either genetically or culturally.

Geographically

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 06:50 PM
South-Western Europe similar to Italy and Southern France.Quite right

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Geographically they are

Geographically

The Northern Spanish border is at the same latitude as Central Bulgaria.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 06:56 PM
The Northern Spanish border is at the same latitude as Central Bulgaria.That's not an argument....doesn't make Balkan people more Northern europeans than Spaniards.....so i can tell you that Italy borders only with Central Europe....that doesn't make Italy Central Europe,though the North and Northcentral part are quite close

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 07:00 PM
That's not an argument....doesn't make Balkan people more Northern europeans than Spaniards.....so i can tell you that Italy borders only with Central Europe....that doesn't make Italy Central Europe,though the North and Northcentral part are quite close

It was your argument (geography) and it's obviously a weak one. Genetically most Balkans plot closer to North Europe than Spain. Culturally it's a different matter. Spain is SW Europe, Balkans are a world of their own with strong ties to Eastern Europe.

GreentheViper
12-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Ok

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 07:07 PM
It was your argument (geography) and it's obviously a weak one. Genetically most Balkans plot closer to North Europe than Spain. Culturally it's a different matter. Spain is SW Europe, Balkans are a world of their own with strong ties to Eastern Europe.Spain is Western Europe,like,say,the UK and it's way closer to the UK both culturally and ethnically......the Balkans are closer to Eastern Europe,but still southern/southeastern Europe.

Pribislav
12-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Southwestern

Damião de Góis
12-03-2018, 07:29 PM

No, their north borders are roughly at the same latitude:

http://ontheworldmap.com/europe/political-map-of-europe.jpg

For example Santander (43º27') and Pleven(43º24') are quite close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santander,_Spain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleven

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 07:55 PM
No, their north borders are roughly at the same latitude:

Doesn't change the fact that most of Balkans are located closer to the North (at least if you don't count Greece like most).

Rgvgjhvv
12-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Southern Europe easily in my opinion

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Doesn't change the fact that most of Balkans are located closer to the North (at least if you don't count Greece like most).They're slightly closer to Central Europe,not Northern

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 08:01 PM
They're slightly closer to Central Europe,not Northern

We're talking geography again if you didn't realize it. The north pole of Earth is a standard point.

Damião de Góis
12-03-2018, 08:03 PM
In any case, it always amazes me how poor people in TA are at geography.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 08:04 PM
We're talking geography again if you didn't realize it. The north pole of Earth is a standard point.I can't see the point in that....makes any difference if Sudan is closer to the North than Botswana?

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 08:06 PM
In any case, it always amazes me how poor people in TA are at geography.So true bro.....

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 08:08 PM
In any case, it always amazes me how poor people in TA are at geography.

I was going by memory mostly, didn't check latitudes, Bulgaria has a small distance between north and south.

I can't see the point in that....makes any difference if Sudan is closer to the North than Botswana?

What kind of a troll are you now? You are the one who started the whole bullshit about geography.

Geographically they are

Damião de Góis
12-03-2018, 08:11 PM
I was going by memory mostly, didn't check latitudes, Bulgaria has a small distance between north and south.

I didn't mean you, that was a close call. I meant the starter of this thread actually, among other examples i remember reading.

The iberian peninsula is located in the southwest of Europe. The anwser is obviously both and you can't define it by choosing only one.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 08:13 PM
In what sense? Most of the Balkans are not really Southern Europe, either genetically or culturally.I answered your question....i am no troll,it's just you who are making this discussion useless.....you asked:in what sense? I answered: Geographically
I think it's quite simple

Marinus
12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Southwestern would be the most accurate descriptor, geographically speaking.

Politically/culturally speaking, Western, the peninsula has made huge contributions to the spread of European culture worldwide.

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 08:17 PM
I answered your question....i am no troll,it's just you who are making this discussion useless.....you asked:in what sense? I answered: Geographically
I think it's quite simple

Yes, and a) you were wrong, b) you were offtopic since I guess if op wanted to know about geography, he would check a map instead.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Yes, and a) you were wrong, b) you were offtopic since I guess if op wanted to know about geography, he would check a map instead.Then what were looking for.... culture,genetics? Speak clearer and you'll be understood.....pls explain me that North Pole thing....i mean what the bloody hell were you trying to mutter?

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Then what were looking for.... culture,genetics? Speak clearer and you'll be understood.....pls explain me that North Pole thing....i mean what the bloody hell were you trying to mutter?

I'm not the op you fucking retard. Someone said Spain is not as south as Balkans, I asked in what sense, you (and the other guy) responded "geographically", I told you you are wrong (and you were). That's about it. Now stop shitposting.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 08:27 PM
I'm not the op you fucking retard. Someone said Spain is not as south as Balkans, I asked in what sense, you (and the other guy) responded "geographically", I told you you are wrong (and you were). That's about it. Now stop shitposting.Oh,i almost forgot,this is a map of Southern Europe....have fun in putting the Balkans northward.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181203/8470bd00f7e40502edd01fc1a0f806c5.jpg

nightrider+
12-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Oh,i almost forgot,this is a map of Southern Europe....have fun in putting the Balkans northward.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181203/8470bd00f7e40502edd01fc1a0f806c5.jpg

Are we going to modify geography with shitty maps to suit your case?

Like Damiao said, Santander is at 43°27 latitude, Zagreb for example is at 45°49, countries like Slovenia and Romania are north of that. Central-Southern Spain is even south of Northern Greece.

https://i.imgur.com/0336CsA.jpg

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Are we going to modify geography with shitty maps to suit your case?

Like Damiao said, Santander is at 43°27 latitude, Zagreb for example is at 45°49, countries like Slovenia and Romania are north of that. Central-Southern Spain is even south of Northern Greece.

https://i.imgur.com/0336CsA.jpgOh God what an annoying individual you are[emoji849] .....

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
12-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Geopolitically they are both Western and some of the oldest nation-states to be defined as such. Without Iberians Western Civilization on a global scale wouldn't be a thing.

Going by mere geographical terms South Western Europe seems accurate. Cabo da Roca is the westernmost extent of mainland Portugal, continental Europe and the Eurasian land mass.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Geopolitically they are both Western and some of the oldest nation-states to be defined as such. Without Iberians Western Civilization on a global scale wouldn't be a thing.

Going by mere geographical terms South Western Europe seems accurate. Cabo da Roca is the westernmost extent of mainland Portugal, continental Europe and the Eurasian land mass.Agree,Southwestern Europe(Iberian peninsula and Italy) was extremely important for Western Civilization....think of the greatest soldiers,The Romans,at first....then Spain and Portugal almost conquered the world and Italy was the home of art and culture.

12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Agree,Southwestern Europe(Iberian peninsula and Italy) was extremely important for Western Civilization....think of the greatest soldiers,The Romans,at first....then Spain and Portugal almost conquered the world and Italy was the home of art and culture.

Yes, the Hellenic civilization and later on the Roman Empire were all key-players on the evolution of the Western civilization, followed by the age of discovery perpetrated by the Iberians and renaissance\enlightenment age in other regions like France, Germany, Italy, England, etc.

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Yes, the Hellenic civilization and later on the Roman Empire were all key-players on the evolution of the Western civilization, followed by the age of discovery perpetrated by the Iberians and renaissance\enlightenment age in other regions like France, Germany, Italy, England, etc.Reinassance was actually born here in Italy but nevermind....you said It all: Hellenic civilization then Romans,then National states[emoji106]
It was Philip the 2nd who messed a bit up and started the downfall of Spain but still Iberian peninsula stands strong! Visited Lisbon this summer,such a nice lovely city:)

12-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Reinassance was actually born here in Italy but nevermind....you said It all: Hellenic civilization then Romans,then National states[emoji106]
It was Philip the 2nd who messed a bit up and started the downfall of Spain but still Iberian peninsula stands strong! Visited Lisbon this summer,such a nice lovely city:)

I know that Renaissance was born in the Apennine Peninsula but it wasn't exclusive to that region, it was a movement that spread across Western Europe.

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Lisbon :thumb001:

Avgvstvs
12-03-2018, 09:47 PM
I know that Renaissance was born in the Apennine Peninsula but it wasn't exclusive to that region, it was a movement that spread across Western Europe.

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Lisbon :thumb001:Yep yep true ;)
Lisbon is.....different,but pleasant at view and with unexpected monuments!

CordedWhelp
12-03-2018, 10:14 PM
I use both for it.

I have a somewhat tougher time classifying France...I've taken to just calling the country as a whole "Western Europe", while only using additional directionals when referring to regions. But that's a different topic, I suppose.

PT Tagus
12-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Geographical classification is easy

Iberian Peninsula - Southwestern Europe
Italian Peninsula - Southern Europe
Balkan Peninsula - Southeastern Europe

pierrotandthemoon
12-10-2018, 10:21 AM
what a sad bunch of wannabe northern in this forum...

Avgvstvs
12-10-2018, 10:30 AM
what a sad bunch of wannabe northern in this forum...Di chi parli?

Sp_loa
12-10-2018, 10:59 AM
SouthWestern Europe.
Genetically more Western than Southern

Odin
03-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Southern Europe.

Morena
03-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Southwest. It’s southern but with a distinctive western vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latinus
03-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Southwestern Europe.
Some phenotypes have a very specific vibe to the peninsula, others are Pan-Med, and others Pan-Western Euro (and also a minority that looks more Eastern).

Sp_loa
03-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Wrong thread.

Voskos
03-23-2019, 10:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QVqly26.jpg