PDA

View Full Version : Guess origins of this pretty girl.

Treffie
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Found her while wandering the corridors of some history forum.

Vulpix
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Eastern European...

Treffie
03-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Eastern European...

That's what I thought originally, comes across as Ukrainian looking or something similar. Not eastern Europe though.;)

Vargtand
03-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Isn’t she one of that minority group in Iran or close to the middle east or what it is?

Freomæg
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Sami, Berber, or from that Hindu 'tribe' who have a reasionable blonde population.

Vulpix
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm thinking Berber too... trick question :p.

Absinthe
03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I've seen her picture before. I don't remember the answer though. Is she Turkish? :p

Treffie
03-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I think I'll let this thread run a little bit, interesting answers so far.;)

Loki
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Gypsy or Transylvanian Saxon?

Absinthe
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Iranian? :p

SwordoftheVistula
03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Must be a trick question of some sort, I'd say Turkey

Vargtand
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Iranian? :p

already taken, get your own...

Absinthe
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
No, it's the Kalash that you were refering to. I was refering to Iranian in general. ;)

BTW, Turkey was already taken by me as well ;)

Vargtand
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
No, it's the Kalash that you were refering to. I was refering to Iranian in general. ;)

BTW, Turkey was already taken by me as well ;)

While you may be right I still claimed the entire middle east as my answer so I kindly ask you and everyone else for that sake to pick some other territory that resides outside of the middle east because that area is currently claimed by yours truly. :P

Treffie
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Ok, when guessing her origin, can we please guess her specific nationality and not the region? I think that makes it fairer.;)

Treffie
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Whoever guessed Iran was correct.:thumb001:

Vargtand
03-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Yay for me:P

Absinthe
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeay for me too :D

Vargtand
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Yeay for me too :D

Yay for us...:love:

:dielaughing:

Treffie
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes, yay for you both!:)

Absinthe
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes, yay for you both!:)
I somehow thought you'd say "get a room, you two" :D

Baron Samedi
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Iranian, Eh?

I'll be damned...

Allenson
03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Interesting look for Iran. This gal is actually hyper-Baltid and has shown up in an odd part of the world.

Sure sure--I've seen examples of Corded/fair pigmented Pontids from Iran (which shouldn't be too much of a surprise) but never one with a northeastern European phenotype.

Osweo
03-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Big place, Iran, full of all sorts of nations.
Persians, Azeris, Pushtuns, Arabs, Qashqai, Turkmen, Kurds, Bakhtiari, Lurs, Armenians, Talysh, Tats, you name it. I could probably take the list to 30 or more if I really tried. WHAT is this girl?

Lenny
03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
WHAT is this girl?A genetic throwback many thousands of years to the original "Aryans"?

Osweo
03-07-2009, 01:07 AM
I've seen similar Cherkess girls, for what it's worth.

The Slave trade shouldn't be forgotten about too, mind. And perhaps the odd Russian Military Adviser or whatnot in Tsarist days or later 'left a bit of a mark' in Persia!

It would be nice to tighten conjecture a little more, if we knew her exact identity, though. Although I expect it's not known.

Lenny
03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
perhaps the odd Russian Military Adviser or whatnot in Tsarist days or later 'left a bit of a mark' in Persia!That was a long time ago; only 25% of her genes at very most were from a person born when the Czars still ruled over their empire (which one hesitates to call "Russian" since it was only ~42% ethnically-Russian in 1914). If one of her grandparents was the offspring of a local woman and a Czarist officer, that would account make 12.5% of here genetics.

To manifest such light hair and eyes and light skin-color, she'd need the other 87.5% of her genetics to be quite light too.

Osweo
03-07-2009, 01:28 AM
That was a long time ago; only 25% of her genes at very most were from a person born when the Czars still ruled over their empire (which one hesitates to call "Russian" since it was only ~42% ethnically-Russian in 1914). If one of her grandparents was the offspring of a local woman and a Czarist officer, that would account make 12.5% of here genetics.

To manifest such light hair and eyes and light skin-color, she'd need the other 87.5% of her genetics to be quite light too.
In the Civil War, plenty of men ended up wandering the world, who knows where some ended up. (42% hardly applies to the officer corps, mind! And it probably excludes Slavs like Ukrainians and Byelorussians, who people at the time just thought of as a type of Russian, for the most part).

I would by no means push the lost Russian idea, but such odd coincidences could very well be added to existing low frequency throwbacks among the Persians, Caucasians or whoever.

And don't forget how weird things like Preferential Cousin Marriage go on, Out East! One man could well constitute all of an individual's great grandfathers, indeed! :eek::p You don't even have to go that far, either - many people live in small villages, and rarely go too far to breed.

Treffie
03-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Big place, Iran, full of all sorts of nations.
Persians, Azeris, Pushtuns, Arabs, Qashqai, Turkmen, Kurds, Bakhtiari, Lurs, Armenians, Talysh, Tats, you name it. I could probably take the list to 30 or more if I really tried. WHAT is this girl?

Not sure of her ethnicity, but the photo was taken in 1971. She comes from Rasht. Found her on this website.

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/mar/1246.html

Lenny
03-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Not sure of her ethnicity, but the photo was taken in 1971. She comes from Rasht. Found her on this website.

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/mar/1246.html
Here's the product of my quick research (Oswiu may have more and better information) :

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1227/iranethnicgroups.gif

-Rasht is very close to the Caucuses, in the "Gilan" region, near the most likely Aryan Urheimat.
- Gilaki is an "Indo-European" (Aryan) language.
- Gilakis clearly have a lot of old Aryan genetics in their genepool. But -- assuming the girl is fully Gilaki -- her looks are more likely from genetic recombination than the expression of a very common phenotype there.

More typical Gilakis,
An old male (left), a woman in the USA with the surname "Gilak" (right):
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8396/0041y.jpg http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6742/gilakg.jpg

Osweo
03-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Here's the product of my quick research (Oswiu may have more and better information) :

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1227/iranethnicgroups.gif

-Rasht is very close to the Caucuses, in the "Gilan" region, near the most likely Aryan Urheimat.
- Gilaki is an "Indo-European" (Aryan) language.
- Gilakis clearly have a lot of old Aryan genetics in their genepool. But -- assuming the girl is fully Gilaki -- her looks are more likely from genetic recombination than the expression of a very common phenotype there.
Good Man Lenny!
I can tell you that some Russian historians and linguists have pointed to these people on the southern shore of the Caspian (a hilly area) as likely Iranicised Caucasians. :thumb001:

Apparently, the form of Iranian they speak is one rather lacking in complex grammar, with signs of an odd substrate. I can't remember the exact argumetnation, but Gumilyov said that there was some basis to look at their language as evincing that of the children of Iranian mothers brought up by Caucasian fathers. VERY interesting!

To find people of this stock still speaking a Caucasian language, you'd have to search for Udi/Udins/Udintsy, Lezgians/Lezghians/Lezgi, Tabasaran, Lak, Dargwa, etc... :thumb001:

In the regions of Azerbaijan and Dagestan concerned you will find people as dark as Indians, but odd individuals of more striking looks too. Add this componant to the fairest among the Iranics, and you get the girl in the picture.