PDA

View Full Version : King James Bible is 400 years old!

Efim45
05-06-2011, 07:27 PM
What are your favorite KJV Bible passages? Mine is:
"For with God nothing shall be impossible"
-Luke 1:37

Oreka Bailoak
05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I thought this was a thread tittled "post how old your oldest bible is".
Anyways, I have one from 1825 from G-G-G-G-G Grandpa Windsor lol.

Psalm 23:4 "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me"

Reminds me of the soldiers in World War 1 before they left the trenches. Such a spiritually comforting verse in the middle of madness.

Efim45
05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Ah, yes. Haha. That is a great passage, and I always recite it when I am scared. Luke 1:37 helps me overcome obstacles in my daily life.

The Lawspeaker
05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I thought this was a thread tittled "post how old your oldest bible is".
Anyways, I have one from 1825 from G-G-G-G-G Grandpa Windsor lol.

Reminds me of the soldiers in World War 1 before they left the trenches. Such a spiritually comforting verse in the middle of madness.

I like the version that was used in Casualties of War better:

Even though I walk through the valley of shadow and death, I shall fear no evil. For I'm the meanest motherf.cker in the whole f.cking valley.

Odoacer
05-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Psalm XXXII
A Psalm of David, Maschil.

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.

For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.

I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.

Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about.

Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

Murphy
05-06-2011, 08:32 PM
And whilst in this thread I will provide a favourite Biblical quote of my own:

And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord. And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name. And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him.

He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart. He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of his mercy: As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed for ever.

~ The Magnificat, The Gospel of Saint Luke, Chapter One, Verse 46:55

From the Douay-Rheims (the first English Bible) Challoner Revision.

Efim45
05-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Don't mind the Negative Nancy, just keep on posting some inspiring biblical quotes :)

Murphy
05-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Be not incredulous to the fear of the Lord: and come not to him with a double heart. Be not a hypocrite in the sight of men, and let not thy lips be a stumblingblock to thee. Watch over them, lest thou fall, and bring dishonour upon thy soul, And God discover thy secrets, and cast thee down in the midst of the congregation. Because thou camest to the Lord wickedly, and thy heart is full of guile and deceit.

Ecclesiasticus, Chapter One, Verse 36:40

Again from the Douay-Rheims Challoner Revision, where I take all my Biblical quotes from. The Challoner revision owes a lot to the King James revisions (Challoner basically just Catholicised the revised King James versions).

Efim45
05-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation. Because they said, he hath an unclean spirit.
Mark 3:28-30

Beorn
05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation

But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

The stranger that is within thee shall get up above thee very high; and thou shalt come down very low. He shall lend to thee, and thou shalt not lend to him: he shall be the head, and thou shalt be the tail.

and my all time favourite.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The Lawspeaker
05-06-2011, 11:48 PM
And hee shall iudge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beate their swords into plow-shares, and their speares into pruning hookes: nation shall not lift vp sword against nation, neither shall they learne warre any more.

Isaiah 2:4 (1611 King James Bible)

W. R.
05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb [is] the light thereof.
And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

Revelation 21:22-26