PDA

View Full Version : AEK fans in Lisbon: my personal observations

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
12-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Tonight S.L. Benfica is going to play against AEK Athens and to my surprise (considering they are already disqualified from the CL) the centre of Lisbon had a considerable crowd with their supporters.

As expected most supporters are young males (bellow 40 years old on average) so my personal observations are concerning these specific demographics:

1. They weren't that taller on average in comparison to Portuguese males of the same age to justify such gap as it is claimed on TA. Portugueses tend to be portrayed as midgets and Greeks as the tallest ethnic group of Southern Europe in TA whereas in reality the majority of AEK supporters were on pair with myself (I height 180 cm) and quite a few barely had 170 cm to be honest. There were also supporters who were taller obviously but not that significantly taller to justify an average of 185 cm among Greeks whereas in Portugal it is 174 cm. Perhaps male elders in Greece are a lot taller on average than our elderly men and that's increasing their average but concerning males bellow forty years old I would say that we are quite on pair.

2. I don't know to what social class most supporters in Greece belong to, if they are from the middle-class, lower classes, upper classes or a mix of the three but the males were way more obese on average in comparison to ours of the same age and by obese I do not mean merely a beer belly or out of shape but the type of obesity that you find in the U.S.A., which is rare in Portugal.

3. Pigmentation wise, another statement that I have seen being thrown down in here implies that Greeks are lighter than Portuguese. I didn't notice any difference to be honest in terms of skin pigmentation, a minority had blue eyes and I didn't saw a single individual who was blonde (not implying that that there ain't light haired individuals but I just didn't happen to see one among the hundreds I have crossed paths with today). My impression was that we have the same skin pigmentation but you are more likely to find light haired individuals among Portugueses (nothing overly drastic).

4. 70% of them would pass reasonably well in Portugal and I would only have known they are from Greece because literally everyone was wearing AEK tracksuits and scarfs. If we want to be nitpicking I did notice that they are overwhelmingly brachycephalic, with flat skulls, something not as usual in here. There were a few (~15%) who looked like Hindi\Middle Easterners but I know you have a big diaspora of both ethnic groups in Greece so I have no idea if they were just exotic ethnic Greeks or just integrated foreigners, as there is in every developed European nation.

I know it might sound for TA standards as a "hate" thread or a thread for troll bait but I am just being honest and in accordance with what I saw today. These are my general impressions, among a specific group. They are not the factual truth. Cheers.

Dorian
12-12-2018, 05:02 PM
1.Where did you hear average of Greeks being 1,85?that's not true even for dutch and dinaric mountainers as far as I know it's 1,78 , elders being taller doesn't make sense it's the opposite.
2.My guess is low to middle but I don't think it matters nowadays,It's known we are one of the fattest nations in Europe probably due to endomorph meso/endomorph alpines/dinarics etc genes
3.Others can answer ,no personal experience
4.Right

nightrider+
12-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Most AEK fans are Anatolian Greeks.

12-12-2018, 05:22 PM
1.Where did you hear average of Greeks being 1,85?that's not true even for dutch and dinaric mountainers as far as I know it's 1,78 , elders being taller doesn't make sense it's the opposite.

185 cm is admittedly exaggerated but I have seen several times on TA that the average is at least 180 cm. 6 cm taller on average would mean nonetheless that Greeks are substantially taller than us though but I didn't witness that today, they were on pair.

nightrider+
12-12-2018, 05:24 PM
185 cm is admittedly exaggerated but I have seen several times on TA that the average is at least 180 cm. 6 cm taller on average would mean nonetheless that Greeks are substantially taller than us though but I didn't witness that today, they were on pair.

3 cm on average difference isn't going to be obvious when you see people on the street. More or less they're on par.

12-12-2018, 05:33 PM

How many AEK supporters are there in Greece?

nightrider+
12-12-2018, 05:39 PM
How many AEK supporters are there in Greece?

Like 10-13% of football fans, about on par with PAOK fans. They're all over Greece but mostly concentrated in Athens and probably Thrace.

Rgvgjhvv
12-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Cool

nafz
12-12-2018, 06:49 PM

True a couple of generations ago but now days I would not say so. AEK has a strong fanbase in Athens where anyone can be from anywhere in Greece.

Also for the younger fans their ancestors may have been Anatolian but as years went by they got intermixed with mainland Greeks and as a result they are not Anatolians in the true sense.

nightrider+
12-12-2018, 07:29 PM
True a couple of generations ago but now days I would not say so. AEK has a strong fanbase in Athens where anyone can be from anywhere in Greece.

Also for the younger fans their ancestors may have been Anatolian but as years went by they got intermixed with mainland Greeks and as a result they are not Anatolians in the true sense.True but a large percentage still have (part-) Anatolian roots.