PDA

View Full Version : Florence to host Jersey Shore

SaxonCeorl
05-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Florence under fire for hosting 'Jersey Shore'

by Nick Squires

Florence, the cradle of the renaissance, has been condemned for hosting the next series of the downmarket reality television show from the United States called 'Jersey Shore’.

The wildly popular MTV series stars a group of narcissistic, hard-drinking Italian-Americans in their twenties, including Jenni "J-Woww” Farley, Sammi “Sweetheart” Giancola, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi and Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino.

One reviewer said that it “scaled new heights of unmissable awfulness” and that the programme’s unspoken objective was to “encourage a group of over-sized, under-dressed twenty-somethings to get drunk, bicker and have sex, preferably at the same time.” The first three seasons of the show were filmed in New Jersey and Miami, attracting viewer audiences of up to eight million, but the fourth will be filmed in Florence from next month, after approval was granted by the city’s youthful mayor, Matteo Renzi.

The decision has prompted horror among well-heeled Florentines, art lovers and Italian MPs, who are aghast at the prospect of the city being invaded by the eight fake-tanned, gel-coiffed “guidos” and “guidettes” — derogatory terms used for Americans of Italian origin but which are liberally used in the programme’s publicity.

Leading the campaign to stop the show from going ahead is Alessandra Mussolini, a Right-wing MP and the grand-daughter of the fascist dictator.

“It’s pure madness,” she said yesterday (thurs). “Florence is a centre of ancient cultural traditions, but it’s going to instead offer an image of a decadent city, providing itself as an arena for insults against Italians. The mayor should not be helping these people, but blocking the programme.” Giorgio Stracquadanio, a member of Silvio Berlusconi’s governing PDL party, was similarly alarmed but hoped that Florence’s image would not be tarnished in the long-term.

link to Telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8483284/Florence-under-fire-for-hosting-Jersey-Shore.html)

I hope the Florentines throw things at them :p

Sikeliot
05-07-2011, 03:34 AM
"The wildly popular MTV series stars a group of narcissistic, hard-drinking Italian-Americans in their twenties, including Jenni "J-Woww” Farley, Sammi “Sweetheart” Giancola, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi and Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino. "

The problem with that statement is.. "J-Woww" is Irish and Puerto Rican, and "Snooki" is supposedly a mestiza from Chile although to me she looks almost pure Native American.

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-07-2011, 09:11 PM
OMG!
Is Renzi gone totally bonkers? I used to respect him... until now. :-(

la bombe
05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm looking forward to this, should be absolutely hilarious.

Peyrol
05-08-2011, 12:32 PM
link to Telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8483284/Florence-under-fire-for-hosting-Jersey-Shore.html)

I hope the Florentines throw things at them :p

They will receive the welcome they deserve

http://www.ilduce.net/foto%20gadgets/manganello.JPG

Cato
05-08-2011, 02:07 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/14/128867940035845436.jpg

Efim45
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Does this mean they are being deported?

Peyrol
05-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm curious to see how some hothead like Mike can behave in a riot in the chinesized/taiwanized Firenze :laugh:

Barreldriver
05-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Lets just hope the train wreck of a program doesn't have the same effect on Florence as it did in the US. That debacle of a show does not help public image nor does it help those who are trying to re-institute traditional culture. :(

Peyrol
05-08-2011, 03:40 PM
...i cant' believe that the city of Dante Alighieri,Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Galileo, Giotto and Brunelleschi have to take these "peoples"...

Cato
05-09-2011, 01:45 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RwdH5DTKRas/S_--4e1V5MI/AAAAAAAADC0/pxuS2Qt9imo/s1600/julius_caesar.jpg

Here is someone that Italians can take pride in, not that half-caste rabble from Jersey Shore.

Sikeliot
05-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Here are the ethnicities of the Jersey Shore cast, just to recap.

Snooki; Chilean "mestiza"
J-Woww; Half Irish, half Puerto Rican
Ronnie; Puerto Rican
Angelina; Polish
Situation; Italian-American
Sammi; She says she's not Italian, despite her last name, but never said what she is.
Pauly D; Italian-American

So of the group, only 2 are Italian at all... while 3 are Latin Americans trying to pass.

Peyrol
05-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Ciao

Sono una testa di min**ia.

Ciao

I would, but unfortunately it isn't ...:(

Peyrol
05-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Snooki; Chilean "mestiza"
Ronnie; Puerto Rican
Angelina; Polish
Situation; Italian-American
Sammi; She says she's not Italian, despite her last name, but never said what she is.
Pauly D; Italian-American

So of the group, only 2 are Italian at all... while 3 are Latin Americans trying to pass.

Mike "Situation" Sorrentino looks like a typical sicilian/southerner

la bombe
05-09-2011, 08:15 PM

When did she say that? I thought she was Italian-American.

Peyrol
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
When did she say that? I thought she was Italian-American.

She was adopted by italo-american parents, but is half chilean (mapuche indios).

EDIT: sorry, i'm referring to Snooki, forgive me.

Yes, Sammi's surname "Giancola" comes from Abruzzo.

Gaztelu
05-15-2011, 04:54 PM

I read somewhere that she is half Spanish, not Puerto Rican.

Also, Jersey Shore is the lulziest show on television. I can't wait until season 4.

Sikeliot
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I read somewhere that she is half Spanish, not Puerto Rican.

I read Puerto Rican. But either way she's not Italian, which was my point.

And Tribuno, Snooki is 100% Chilean not just half. I feel bad for Chileans.. she represents 2 groups poorly! :eek:

askra
07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
jersey shore's cast was forced to leave Florence one month ago after that Snookie committeed a car accident hitting a police car, and mainly because the citizens of Florence were very annoyed by them due to their rudeness, now MTV is searching a new location in Italy, but none town want to host them :)

alzo zero
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
jersey shore's cast was forced to leave Florence one month ago after that Snookie committeed a car accident hitting a police car, and mainly because the citizens of Florence were very annoyed by them due to their rudeness, now MTV is searching a new location in Italy, but none town want to host them :)
LOL if by airing Jersey Shore the Jews at MTV proved they had an axe to grind with the Italians before, I dare not to imagine what they revenge will now be for getting kicked out of the country... :D

Libertas
07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Jews will never forgive Italians because of the ancient Roman sackings of Jerusalem and the medieval pogroms by Catholics even though many Popes opposed attacks on Jews.

Gamera
07-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I watched the show once on MTV, for 5 minutes. After that I couldn't handle it anymore, I thought it was incredibly retarded.

BeerBaron
07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
This is cruel, I wouldn't wish jersey shore on anyone even if they did side with the nazis.

Boudica
07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
HAHA thank god they were kicked out! I hope no one hosts them, and I hope that real italians beat the shit out of them :)

Gaztelu
08-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I am still wondering how 6 people can piss off a city with a population of 370,702 people.