PDA

View Full Version : coldie with a "lox"

coldielox
03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi,

my name is coldielox ( if you desire to hear the story of the name just ask.). I am a fairly open person, i love to debate.. and I enjoy oppions.
I found this thru a friend on FB.
I play many online RPG's like CN,CE and the likes..
ask me anything and everything.. I am not shy.:wink

Vargtand
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

The Lawspeaker
03-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey there Coldie. Welcome aboard (but then again I welcomed you through yahoo as well LOL).
:D Here's the traditional cake:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1289/1298901153_1e3e1c4e06.jpg?v=0

coldielox
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
o wow.. i have never been given a cake on a forum before!!! THANK YOU!!!

and thank yu for such a warm greeting thus far :D

The Lawspeaker
03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
That's a good tradition. Especially we here should do it if we are to live up to our name Apricity (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/apricity). :)

Beorn
03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Hello, Coldielox.

Interesting name.

What is the story behind it?
Will we be expecting any bears to be following you to the Apricity?

.. and I enjoy oppions.

Sliced or diced?

Tolleson
03-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. :wavey001:

Enjoy your stay.

coldielox
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
hahahaa... no, i don have bears that follow me, thankfully...
i guess i will start from the beginning... i use to be addicted to a multi player space game called SubSpace ( continum) so to come up with a name, i use my fav thing in the world.. rain.. but it was taken, so i decided to be a dork and used the name "cold rain on a hott summer nite" well that was a huge name and within a month they started makin ppl use less characters, and so by then ppl just called me cold rain. So i changed my name to cold rain. from there my close friends either called me coldie or CR, cr was blah so i stuck to coldie... a few years latter i left SS and joined the games of forums and rpg's based in forums... i got onto one game and started useing IRC religiously, a leader of a country from a game i played decided to act lik any guy with a crush.. to make fun of me, since i am female and playing a "mans game" he started to dub me "coldielox"... it obviously stuck :P

and i enjoy my oppions like i enjoy my steak burnt to a crisp :P

Aemma
03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi,

my name is coldielox ( if you desire to hear the story of the name just ask.). I am a fairly open person, i love to debate.. and I enjoy oppions.
I found this thru a friend on FB.
I play many online RPG's like CN,CE and the likes..
ask me anything and everything.. I am not shy.:wink

Hi Coldielox! And welcome here. :) What does FB stand for btw?

Well make yourself at home, poke around and join in!

Cheers for now!...Aemma

coldielox
03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
my appoligies, FB is FaceBook

The Lawspeaker
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
What does FB stand for btw?
Facebook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook)

A popular social networking site.

Loki
03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Welcome coldilox :)

Nice avatar and signature.

A few things:

1) How significant is your listed Cherokee ancestry? Is it trace/distant, or more recent?

2) Would you mind resizing the sig pic please? It's a little too wide and distorts the post sizes.

Thanks! :thumbs up

coldielox
03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
i will fix my sigg asap, for now ill just take it down so its not an issue.
im 1/8th cherokee... so i hope that answers you :)

Lady L
03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey and Welcome :wave

Brynhild
03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome, Coldie. Enjoy your stay.

Electronic God-Man
03-06-2009, 07:58 PM
my father was italian,german,polish and cherokee.

The Cherokee in there caught my eye too. Mostly because I find it odd to be Italian, Polish, German, AND Cherokee. I would assume that the Italian and Polish ancestry is more recent immigrants. Was it your German ancestor who married the full-blooded Cherokee? Usually it would be an Englishman or Scots-Irish. Or are you just discounting the "Cherokee" person's British ancestry and calling them fully Cherokee.

I find that interesting. I can't imagine it being a Polak or Italian hooking up with a Cherokee. Anyway, enough of my rambling, tell us the story.

And, of course, welcome on board.

coldielox
03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
well the cherokee comes from my fathers side.. he died when i was just a child, so I dont have a ton of information on it.. the german is also on that side.. my maiden last name is Valentine... but i believe my fathers mother had some cherokee in her.. she talks of indinas near her.. but we dont talk much of the past since my father was her only child, and me her only grand child. :(
i could try asking.. but it brings back bad memories for her.
but no.. there is no british ancestory i believe in my blood line.. but who knows. My one unckle however does look like a full blooded indian..

Psychonaut
03-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Welcome aboard!

coldielox
03-07-2009, 02:41 AM
thank you all for such a warm welcome.. I have never been on a forum/board that was so friendly and nice to new comers.. so I am extremely thankful to your comments ;)

Gooding
03-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Greetings and salutations,Coldielox :)

Absinthe
03-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Greetings!! I love your avatar and signature....you seem like a person with taste! :thumbs

Stormraaf
03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
1/8th Cherokee? Excuse me, but is there some kind of "cut-off point" on The Apricity as to how much non-European blood one can have before being banned from the forum? Last time I checked, TA was still a board for people of full European descent only.

I'm not trying to be rude here, Coldielox, but if the forum moderators intend to accept you as a member, I'd at least expect a rationalisation on how you reconcile your mixed ancestry with your views of cultural and ethnic European preservation, assuming you hold such views (otherwise, why'd you join?).

coldielox
03-07-2009, 10:58 AM
lol ty absinthe

and storm: no offense taken.. if theres rules and regulations that should keep me from this forum, the please do not hesitate to enforce them.. I cant hel who my ancestors banged in history.. and just for a illy fact.. most Americans have some form of Indian in their blood line.. even if its a small amount, I mean they were here first :P
anyways, I am honest with my heritage, so if that causes a ban, thats fine.. was fun while it lasted.
if im banned.. was nice meting all of you.. and thank you for such a warm welcome.

The Lawspeaker
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Stormraaf- A lot of Americans and Canadians have some indigenous blood running to their veins but that is no different from the early Afrikaans colonists that slept with their own slaves. We all know that's true and there is no point in denying that. Nor is it- given the circumstances these early colonists were in- shameful. I have read old V.O.C reports that indicated that the same was going on in the East Indies and that they were (literary) asking for "shiploads of young orphaned girls".

Even if she has some Indian blood in her- that doesn't make any less European or any less colonial. Well-yes perhaps it makes her more colonial but then again I have always chuckled a bit when a fifth generation American still calls himself Dutch,German, Maltese, English (and usually another very long list). The Americans are themselves steadily becoming a people, a nation. Like the Afrikaners cannot be called Dutch- they are a people and a nation of themselves.

Can Americans (or Afrikaners) be called a European people ? Yes if you look at their culture, their language and parts of their blood and heritage. They way they think and the way they conduct their daily lifes. Sure- because being European (that is if we count out certain countries) is also a social construct based on our common heritage that spread into the colonies. Of course some colonies were touched more then others- like Australia and New Zealand, like Canada and the US that received the full touch of British culture. Like South Africa whose Afrikaners received a full touch of Dutch culture.

Is being European a racial thing: sure is. But do the same standards go for European-Europeans and Colonial-Europeans then I say no. Because Colonial-Europeans are living in territories that were not originally European. Of course a certain standard has to be met and I know Coldie- does she look European ? Yes.

Stormraaf
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
The claim that all Americans are part Amerindian and that Afrikaners are part African and are "already mixed anyway" is nothing but multicultarist propaganda. Frankly, LS, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that someone like you have bought into it.

I won't deny that early Dutch colonists slept with their own slaves - the result of that is today's "coloured" mixed racial group in SA, numbering more than Afrikaners. Offspring from such unions were not considered Afrikaners, and "white" South Africans today claiming to have negroid admixture is simply wrong in calling themselves Afrikaners.

Coldielox, when someone's appearance and my interaction with that person tells me he or she is Germanic, or Celtic, or whatever the case may be, that's good enough for me and when it's down to a few silent foreign genes in one's blood, I'm not the type to go and make accusations of "impurity". However, since you've listed it in your profile, and put the admixture at 12.5% at that, I have my doubts - normally when people claim to have a significant foreign component in their own genetic makeup, they're pretty multicultarist. On the other hand, if your European identity is what's important to you and you champion the preservation of European society, then I hope you won't harbor any grudges against me for raising the issue.

I'd still like to hear from the moderators about where they'd draw the line, though. What if someone with a Jewish or Iranian great-grandparent signed up here, saying "I can't help that my great-grandmother allowed herself to be bedded by a semite"?

The Lawspeaker
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
The claim that all Americans are part Amerindian and that Afrikaners are part African and are "already mixed anyway" is nothing but multicultarist propaganda. Frankly, LS, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that someone like you have bought into it.
No I meant that I wouldn't be surprised. After all- the first ships arrived in the early 17th century and I am quite sure that not every one kept to their own kind as there were not enough women to go round. I am having my own opinions about that which are probably not too different from yours but it is the way it is. It happened.

I won't deny that early Dutch colonists slept with their own slaves - the result of that is today's "coloured" mixed racial group in SA, numbering more than Afrikaners. Offspring from such unions were not considered Afrikaners, and "white" South Africans today claiming to have negroid admixture is simply wrong in calling themselves Afrikaners.Of course. But the fact is that it happened and whether society approves or not is off little relevance- it happened (there were certainly not enough settlers in the beginning and I am quite sure that there must have been some fumbling outside wedlock if only to make sure that there would be no inbreeding which is always a real danger in small groups). We share the same views on this matter but no colonial can claim that his ancestors followed the book unless he has his full ancestry well documented and even then we could ask ourselves some questions. It just happened- I am not the one to condemn our ancestors. But let's try to be realistic. After all- we were on their turf
But the question we need to ask ourselves is: where do we draw the line ?

I am going to put it even more strongly: because someone's ancestors married a non-European today someone with preservationist views is being turned down. Yes then I understand why preservationism can be very hard and why multiculturalism seems to be on the winning hand. It's like cutting ones own flesh and then complaining that it hurts.

coldielox
03-07-2009, 01:40 PM
umm.. i was asked by someone to be very specific.. my first answer to these questions was im a mutt.. because theres soo much in me, and the fact that im not 100% on all my background.. the ones im 100% on are German italian , irish and polish.. the cherokee i believe due to some of the distant family members looks, however im pretty pale ( so pale that after every birth i gave, id freak the nurses out.. my husband had to be in the room at all times for the first 24 hrs just to inform my nurses i was naturally this pale) ... my mother told me im 1/8th indian.. i have NO clue if thats true.. nor do i go around being proud of being part indian, however im also not gunna bow my head down like i should be ashamed for my background.. i had to go to an all african amercian school as a freshman in HS ... and I got accosted every single day for being a slave owner ( among other things.. but that has nothin to do with this topic :P ).. i told them they were ignorant f*ks and that they enslaved their darn slaves.. and further more, i never touched them.. yes i am of my heritage.. but that does not mean i am gunna do as they did.. i am my own person, and proud of who I am as me.
so if you cant handel that i am part indian.. or a mutt to say the least, thats fine.. but i wont hold my head in shame for someone makin a mistake 100's of years ago in my family.

If the mods/admins feel I need to leave, they may ban me or ask me to do so.. I will go if thats what needs to be done, I don't desire to cause a situation...

and lastly.. im sorry if anything i have said in this post seems hostile.. or angry.. or w/e.. im not, im a very blunt person ( makes most ppl un easy due to the fact i am female) and i don't suck up to ppl just cause their superior to me.. if your wrong and i know it as a fact.. i have absolutely no problem informing you ( hopefully in a respectable way). But I am also completely able to take it if im wrong, and admit it. I hope not to cause any form of insult, I am just trying my best to explain, and speak for myself since I never expect someone else to do things for me.

Electronic God-Man
03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Honestly, "1/8th Cherokee" is the most frequently claimed non-European admixture in European-Americans.

First, whatever happened to full Cherokees, half Cherokees, 1/4 Cherokees, 1/16 Cherokees, etc.

Second, I wouldn't believe that you are Cherokee at all until you found out for sure. When did your German ancestors (the ones with the Indian blood) immigrate? The Polish and Italian (oh, and I see Irish too now) are obviously more recent and if the Germans in your family came here more recently as well then I would question whether an "off-the-boat" immigrant would marry an Indian.

In fact, I am going to guess that you were raised Catholic, judging by the Polish and Italian. There's a good chance that your German ancestors were recent immigrant Catholics too from Southern Germany. The thing that ties together your "mixed" ancestry is religion. ...but I suppose some Cherokee could have converted to Catholicism...

That's my best shot at playing detective.

coldielox
03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
uhh no... my parents were forced into Catholic school, and thus revolted once they grew up.. as far as when certain ppl came into this country from my background, the only ones I know of are on my mothers side.. My grandfather was born in Ireland, and my grandmother was born in Italy.. as far as my fathers side.. I kinda have no way of knowing.. my grandmother is very quiet about our background because of the family being crule to her.. so I have no clue.. Her maiden name was Finley.. if that helps any, which would make my grandfather last name Valentine.. I am sorry, i kinda wish I knew more... but it is a very touche subject on my fathers side.. and I am almost an outcast because of their history..
I dont really go around tellin the world im part cherokee indian.. i was asked to be truthful and more descriptive.. so I added what I knew.. I dont even truly desire to look into tha matter.. my mother ( the crazy one) once told me i was 1/8th and i should claim the money for it.. i told her she was crazy and I was not gunna claim anything for that!

Electronic God-Man
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
uhh no... my parents were forced into Catholic school

...and your grandparents were Catholics that forced them to go to Catholic school.

Isn't Finley another Irish name?

coldielox
03-07-2009, 06:43 PM
yeah.. my mothers parents were...

i am so sorry i got confused ( i was raised around another man as my "father" figure.. hence the confusion sometimes :P ).. my fathers parents weren't catholic, at least not my grandmother.. perhaps my grandfather he was the german side.. and I am not sure i thought perhaps it was polish.. I am no good with history of names :(
but yeah.. i have only been in a catholic church like 5 times in my life.. and they were normaly for weddings.. I was never really taught much about catholic's till i went on my own to learn.. My parents ( my mother and step father) hated the church.. so meh.

Electronic God-Man
03-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Finley is most likely Irish, but it can also be Scottish.

Don't you know what Polish surnames look like? Finleyski (haha) would be more like it.

Here are a bunch o' Polak names:

1. NOWAK 26. MAJEWSKI
2. KOWALSKI 27. OLSZEWSKI
3. WIŚNIEWSKI 28. JAWORSKI
4. DĄBROWSKI 29. PAWLAK
5. KAMIŃSKI 30. WALCZAK
6. KOWALCZYK 31. GORSKI
7. ZIELINSKI 32. RUTKOWSKI
8. SYMANSKI 33. OSTROWSKI
9. WOŹNIAK 34. DUDA
10. KOZŁOWSKI 35. TOMASZEWSKI
11. WOJCIECHOWSKI 36. JASIŃSKI
12. KWIATKOWSKI 37. ZAWADZKI
13. KACZMAREK 38. CHMIELEWSKI
14. PIOTROWSKI 39. BORKOWSKI
15. GRABOWSKI 40. CZARNECKI
16. NOWAKOWSKI 41. SAWICKI
17. PAWŁOWSKI 42. SOKOŁOWSKI
18. MICHALSKI 43. MACIEJEWSKI
19. NOWICKI 44. SZCZEPAŃSKI
20. ADAMCZYK 45. KUCHARSKI
21. DUDEK 46. KALINOWSKI
22. ZAJĄC 47. WYSOCKI
23. WIECZOREK 48. ADAMSKI
24. JABŁOŃSKI 49. SOBCZAK
25. KRÓL 50. CZERWINSKI

Usually they will end in -ski.

coldielox
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
hahaha liek i said.. i suck with names... i just guess, LOL. Which i hate doing so I dont do ti to other ppl's names :D
thanx for the list, LOL.