PDA

View Full Version : Austrians to vote on Turkey's EU bid

poiuytrewq0987
05-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Austria will hold a national referendum on Turkey's accession to the European Union whatever the outcome of talks between Brussels and Ankara, Austria's chancellor said on Tuesday.

"Even in the case of a positive decision after the negotiations between the EU and Turkey, we will organize a referendum in Austria on this topic," chancellor Werner Faymann said in a statement after hosting Turkish President Abdullah Gül on the second day of a state visit.

For Turkey to join the 27-member European bloc, "fundamental values like freedom of opinion, human rights, democratic participation and freedom of the press must prevail unconditionally," the chancellor said.

Gül, for his part, underlined at a Austro-Turkish economic forum Tuesday the potential trade advantages his country's EU membership may hold for European states - including for Austria whose commercial exchange with Turkey has tripled since 2001.

Turkey opened accession talks with the EU in 2005. However, out of the 35 policy chapters that candidate countries must negotiate, Turkey has opened talks on only 13. Eight chapters remain frozen as a sanction to Turkey's refusal to open its ports to Greek Cypriot vessels under a trade pact with the EU, with France blocking several others in line with its vocal opposition to Turkey's accession.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=austrians-to-vote-on-turkeys-eu-bid-2011-05-04

The Lawspeaker
05-08-2011, 03:54 PM
And I hope they will vote against it (and I trust they wil). Europe for the Europeans.

Svanhild
05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Excellent news from our fellow South Germans. Rejection of EU membership of potential Turkey is vigorously high. 73% don't want to see Turkey as a EU member. http://www.news.at/articles/0453/10/101490/umfrage-oesterreich-73-prozent-tuerkei-eu-mitgliedschaft

Äike
05-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I have been to Turkey and there's nothing European about it. The Turks are completely foreign people to us.

The Estonian government supports Turkey in joining the EU, that's sad. :(

The Lawspeaker
05-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Governments and the will of the people are two completely different things.

Äike
05-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Maybe in the UK or Germany, but (in most cases) not here.

The Lawspeaker
05-08-2011, 04:41 PM
We'll see. So the Estonian people support the government in bringing Turkey into the Union ?

Äike
05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
We'll see. So the Estonian people support the government in bringing Turkey into the Union ?

Probably not(but I could be wrong), but that's only one thing. In most cases, the will of the people and the will of the Estonian government is the same.

Estonia is a very democratic country, not pseudo-democratic like the UK.

The Lawspeaker
05-08-2011, 05:02 PM
So.. also in Estonia. The will of the people and the government are not the same thing. You just showed that.

Äike
05-08-2011, 05:10 PM
So.. also in Estonia. The will of the people and the government are not the same thing. You just showed that.

If that would be true, the Estonian people would vote for the biggest opposition party, which has radically different views than the current coalition.

The Lawspeaker
05-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Stop weasling yourself out of it, Karl. When are the elections coming up ?

Agrippa
05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Excellent news from our fellow South Germans. Rejection of EU membership of potential Turkey is vigorously high. 73% don't want to see Turkey as a EU member. http://www.news.at/articles/0453/10/101490/umfrage-oesterreich-73-prozent-tuerkei-eu-mitgliedschaft

If they really do it and Austrians vote, I have absolutely no doubts, unless they come up with a new tool for conditioning and indoctrinating the people or really planting fear into the hearts of the citizens, there can only be a negative outcome - everything else must be the result of a direct and criminal manipulation.

Äike
05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Stop weasling yourself out of it, Karl. When are the elections coming up ?

What elections?

We had the parliament elections 2 months ago and the previous coalition continued for a second term. They have done a good job.

InvaderNat
05-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Exactly, like Switzerland has shown with it's minaret ban and criminal immigrant explusion referedums, the powers that be in Europe are completely out of touch with what average Europeans want. I doubt there would be a single EU 'state' that would vote in favour of Turkey's accession.

It really makes you wonder why people like them still in charge!? Why do people keep voting for pro-EU parties? :confused::(

Agrippa
05-09-2011, 07:28 AM
It really makes you wonder why people like them still in charge!? Why do people keep voting for pro-EU parties? :confused::(

Well, because they are afraid of alternatives and good alternatives are, since most politicians and political parties are corrupted and indoctrinated by the system, not really present.

Also, it wouldn't be necessary to be "anti-EU", but to form a new alliance inside of it to change the character of the current European Union.

That would be, in my opinion, even preferable, but even more difficult to achieve, because it would have to mean a largely Europe-wide movement in different nations.

If the current European Union, would be, like you said, more in touch with the people and what THEY WANT, there would be no big problem at all. The problems come from the fact that this "European" Union became a Neoliberal tool created and controlled by the Plutocracy.

Like many parliamentarians even say: They can be bought, they are themselves lobbyists for the highest bid...

Talvi
05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
I cant even imagine what disasters start happening if hordes of turks start pouring into the whole Europe :(

Magister Eckhart
05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I was unaware the Austrians had close relations with the Turks. My understanding was that Carinthia was one of the most anti-Turkish, nationalistic area in all of Europe, let alone Greater Germany. I would be very much surprised to see a pro-Turkish result from the Austrian votes.

Dario Argento
05-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Turkey couldn't do any good to European Union. Turkey isn't just Istanbul. And I am not speaking of a racial point of view. I'm of the belief that Turks look a lot like Balkan people or viceversa. But then there are also Turks that look a lot like Syrians or Jordanians. And that's exactly what they are. A transition point. Still I think a lot of those wogs would be considered European today if the Bizantine armies didn't lose the Battle of Manzikert. Anatolia had always been part of Mediterranean European culture and had historically been settled by early Indo-European groups like Hittites, Greeks, Celts. However it is more than clear that 1000 years of Turkification and then Ottomanism haven't done any good to these people. The ottoman empire did much harm to the Balkans and were hostile to other political states of Europe at the time. As a result their culture right now is very far off.

Groenewolf
05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I hope the sane heads prevail there. Remember Vienna. Of course one has to wonder why if 70+% of the population is against it, there is not also a majority support for those politicians who are also against it. Unless to many of those 70+% found other things more important, or did not bother to read the party program. But at least that damage will hopefully be undone in this referendum.

And for those who think the 'will' of the people and the 'will' of the governing politicians are in line in a representative democracy 100%* are probably not understanding how politics work.

*same thing in a direct democracy where the policy will not be in line with 100% of the population 100% of the time.

http://www.fenris-postorder.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_221.jpg

Óttar
05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
So how does this work? The French, the Germans and the Dutch (if I'm not mistaken) have said no. What will it take for them to stop bringing up the issue?

Magister Eckhart
05-12-2011, 06:42 AM
So how does this work? The French, the Germans and the Dutch (if I'm not mistaken) have said no. What will it take for them to stop bringing up the issue?

A "yes" vote. That's how it worked with the Lisbon Treaty, at least.

"Oh, you mean you vote nay? Well then, we'll just have to say this election is a fraud and vote again. Maybe then you'll vote correctly."

It's a caricature of democratic process at this point, it's just tyranny of the Europhobic, Cultural Marxist minority.

Aviane
05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Austrians voting Turkey in probably will be a good move for the Turkish and themselves but not everyone will not like it though.

I wouldn't mind either way if Turkey get's in or not.

Magister Eckhart
05-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Austrians voting Turkey in probably will be a good move for the Turkish and themselves but not everyone will not like it though.

I wouldn't mind either way if Turkey get's in or not.

How could Turkey's acceptance to the EU possibly benefit anyone but Turkey?

You start calling the Turks "European" and you might as well admit Algeria, Libya, Israel, Morocco, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and all the other countries that show up when you draw a map of Europe - because that seems to be the only basis for ever considering the Turks "European".

Svanhild
05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Austria won't vote anyone in. Rejection rate of Turkey was high, is high and stays high.

Magister Eckhart
05-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Austria won't vote anyone in. Rejection rate of Turkey was high, is high and stays high.

Let's hope your optimism is right.

Remember what happened with the Lisbon Treaty in Ireland. Rejection rate was high and stayed high right up until the EU forced a second vote because they didn't like the outcome of the first.

These votes are shows - they only mean anything if they go the way the powers-that-be want them to go, and the Political Class of Europe will continue to force Mohammedanism and coloured domination down European throats for as long as they are in power.

Aces High
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I find it strange that the Austrian government will allow the people to vote on the issue.
They normally steam roll the policies through without much concern for the Indigenous people of Europe.

I noticed recently that the Iclandic people were allowed to vote on wether British and Dutch banks could force them to pay back the enormous debt that (private) banks ran up on the Iclandic populations behalf and they voted no.

Maybe the winds of change are starting to slowly blow through Europe...lets hope so.

Agrippa
05-13-2011, 06:37 PM
I find it strange that the Austrian government will allow the people to vote on the issue.
They normally steam roll the policies through without much concern for the Indigenous people of Europe.

First of all it is not for sure yet and even if it happens, we don't know how important it will be.

I'm in doubt about the whole thing.

But I understand why even the mainstream parties brought it up, and it is primarily because they perfectly know that the VAST MAJORITY of Austrians, unless they are radical Leftists and Libertarians, of both there are not too many in the whole population, or are Turks and Muslims themselves, is against the integration of Turkey into the European Union.

So whoever plays that card, might win some votes, even if just trying - in a weak and hypocritical way actually - to bring that issue forward.

After all, there is a coalition of the major (pseudo-conservative and left-liberal modern Social Democrats) parties in Europe and this is always problematic for the typical manipulation of the public in the current Western "Democracy", with the tweedledee-tweedledum swing votes, which changes nothing and keeps the mainstream on top.

Because of that, especially the right-populist FPÖ is growing again, already at the 2nd place in some polls.

So the major parties try to play that card as well, using the general sentiment and making up a false issue, which I doubt they will really bring forward or will change too much, but let's see.

Fortunately pressures are coming from the right AND social side in Austria more often and stronger than in various other countries and the major parties sometimes try to accomodate to that.

This changes little and is a hinderance to a more radical but necessary change, but still better than people getting fed with the "politically correct" crap, worse even, like in most of Germany or many other countries.

Bad enough in Austria, horrible actually, but there are worse places in this respect.

Yet one has to understand that this is a tactical issue, since the corrupted politicians obviously don't really care at all for the future of our people and Europe, since they are mostly puppets of the Plutocracy, some just less brainwashed and less restrained than others or pushed into another direction.