PDA

View Full Version : Civilization - Is The West History?

Daos
05-09-2011, 05:23 AM
http://www.aedes.us/i6/515pm57.jpg

Niall Ferguson explores how Western civilization - a clear minority of mankind - secured a lion's share of the world's resources, and examines whether the West is about to be overtaken by the rest.

arhBShGlZjI
eD0HYqNeHiM
hjmoeIvk42A
S_x4GPmL9MI
wBOFDzQhpa0
kQN-djeHskg

Curtis24
05-09-2011, 06:01 AM
The problem is that other civilizations are either in the same boat as us, or getting there. If the West does fall, the world falls.

Debaser11
05-09-2011, 06:39 AM
That is a problem. The West falling will be the death of the goose that lays the golden egg. But I don't give two shits about Arabian culture or black culture in comparison to my own culture. So naturally, the culture I fret over is my own.

Magister Eckhart
05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
The problem is that other civilizations are either in the same boat as us, or getting there. If the West does fall, the world falls.

Or at least the world as we know it, which would only be natural really. Civilizations need to collapse and flush out the global system every few millennia, it's a natural occurrence.

We can hope that a reasonably strong inheritor that preserves some semblance of the West will rise in its place, but I think the problem with Ferguson is that he envisions "civilization" as this kind of abstract quality rather than the organic and encapsulated body that it is. I like Ferguson's ideas - I like the fact that he has the brass to be an imperialist in today's day and age, but ultimately, like all imperialists who cannot step outside of the process of which they are tools, he cannot see what is actually going on, what the West is and what it must inevitably become.