PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Usually Begins your Conversations?

Joso
12-27-2018, 03:41 AM
When i want to talk with a person, i generally begin talking about what is happening around us.
If i know the person, i also like to speak about our momments in the past

Prinses
12-27-2018, 03:43 AM
Just saying hi and from there on conversation starts with that person. It’s automatic and mostly people who I talk with come up with subjects to talk about.

Mortimer
12-27-2018, 03:48 AM
I say "Hi and How are you" and then the conversations starts from there. The person automatically tells me how she/he feels and such.

Teutone
12-27-2018, 03:49 AM
I dont hate niggers, but...

Borealis
12-27-2018, 03:50 AM
"I hate my fucking life"

GreentheViper
12-27-2018, 03:51 AM
Hey

Joso
12-27-2018, 03:56 AM
I dont hate niggers, but...

But they stole my bike

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 03:57 AM
Depending on whether I know that person I can be either very formal or very informal.

Mode 1: "Excuse me, but (insert question or comment) - followed by an introduction (if this applies).
Mode 2: "Hello, mate ! How have you been, eh ? Listen.. ehm.."

(As translated)

Mortimer
12-27-2018, 03:59 AM
Depending on whether I know that person I can be either very formal or very informal.

Mode 1: "Excuse me, but (insert question or comment) - followed by an introduction (if this applies).
Mode 2: "Hello, mate ! How have you been, eh ? Listen.. ehm.."

(As translated)

Same here. If I dont know the person. I will also "Say Excuse me.... " and I will use the formal third person "Sie" in English I think this doesnt exist as everyone is You but in german there is "Sie" (formal) and "Du" (informal)

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 04:01 AM
Same here. If I dont know the person. I will also "Say Excuse me.... " and I will use the formal third person "Sie" in English I think this doesnt exist as everyone is You but in german there is "Sie" (formal) and "Du" (informal)

Same in Dutch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E2%80%93V_distinction#Dutch). I am probably one of the few people in this part of the country that wouldn't dream of using the informal form of address to anyone older than me. Period. And that includes relatives - and yes: that would have included my parents.

Prinses
12-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Same in Dutch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E2%80%93V_distinction#Dutch). I am probably one of the few people in this part of the country that wouldn't dream of using the informal form of address to anyone older than me. Period. And that includes relatives - and yes: that would have included my parents.

It's rude to say 'je/jij' instead of 'uw/u' to strangers or people who're older imo. People here complain when I say 'uw/u' though, they want me to say 'je/jij' xD

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 01:47 PM
It's rude to say 'je' instead of 'uw' to strangers or people who're older imo. People here complain when I say 'uw' though, they want me to say 'je/jij' xD

I make a consistent point out of using "u"/"uw". There is nothing more that ticks me off more than some young shop assistant addressing me informally. I tend to respond rather coldly to ones informal "hi" and "how can I help you" (informal you) with a "Certainly, you may." (formal you). I have no problems with it on forums though but on a day to day basis I don't take kindly to it. You know what those high school lassies are usually like. Call me an old fart, my dear Prinses, call me an old fart !

Kivan
12-27-2018, 01:51 PM
I don't know, it always starts in different ways with different people. Today for example, the first thing i said was "Good afternoon babe" first for a certain person. hahaha

Prinses
12-27-2018, 01:54 PM
I make a consistent point out of using "u"/"uw". There is nothing more that ticks me off more than some young shop assistant addressing me informally. I tend to respond rather coldly to ones informal "hi" and "how can I help you" (informal you) with a "Certainly, you may." (formal you). I have no problems with it on forums though but on a day to day basis I don't take kindly to it. You know what those high school lassies are usually like. Call me an old fart, my dear Prinses, call me an old fart !

No I can understand it from people of your age it's normal. Dutch people usually care about such things and they taught it us at a young age to adress people who're older with the formal way, but not everyone does it :p

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 02:02 PM
No I can understand it from people of your age it's normal. Dutch people usually care about such things and they taught it us at a young age to adress people who're older with the formal way, but not everyone does it :p

Maybe that traditionalism can also be more regionally based. It could be that Northerners are slightly more informal (I have noticed that pattern as well).

Dandelion
12-27-2018, 02:15 PM

I remember on Flemish television this guy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Vanthilt) addressing an 80 year old woman with 'je/jij'. It sounded so wrong in my ears.

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 02:31 PM
I remember on Flemish television this guy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Vanthilt) addressing an 80 year old woman with 'je/jij'. It sounded so wrong in my ears.

That's disgusting ! I am not even joking: what a time to be alive....

Finnish Swede
12-27-2018, 02:31 PM
LOL. I bet I would be very ''rude'' person to many ....

As small talks? ... waist of time and energy.

Still being '' rude'' (or more like ... seeing like one) has never raped or murdered anybody. So I'm happily children of ''rude'' people! LOL.

'

Dandelion
12-27-2018, 02:36 PM
That's disgusting ! I am not even joking: what a time to be alive....

Marcel Vanthilt is a fanatical proponent of Modern Standard Dutch and want 'je/jij' to become more popular here. He's a lot too fanatical in that endeavour and forgot there's a polite form still. As you know, we have great difficulties saying 'je/jij' casually and instead prefer 'ge/gij' (often confused for 'u' because the direct/indirect object and the possessive forms are 'u' and 'uw' respectively).

Anyway, very impolite to tutoyate an elderly woman, it's like cursing in the church (Dutch proverb).

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Marcel Vanthilt is a fanatical proponent of Modern Standard Dutch and want 'je/jij' to become more popular here. He's a lot too fanatical in that endeavour and forgot there's a polite form still. As you know, we have great difficulties saying 'je/jij' casually and instead prefer 'ge/gij' (often confused for 'u' because the direct/indirect object and the possessive forms are 'u' and 'uw' respectively).

Anyway, very impolite to tutoyate an elderly woman, it's like cursing in the church (Dutch proverb).
I consider modern Standard Dutch (the sheer disgusting chutzpah the Hollanders used to have in calling it "General Civilised Dutch" !) to be just another version of Hollander imperialism and I think the South should culturally reorient itself more on Flanders. I would love to see Flanders joining the Netherlands and then replacing this Hollander Dutch with a more balanced version that takes both traditions into account.

Dandelion
12-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Still being '' rude'' (or more like ... seeing like one) has never raped or murdered anybody. So I'm happily children of ''rude'' people! LOL.

'

In Scandinavia, so I've been told, the polite form is ironically more commonly in use among younger people, whereas boomers always speak very casually. Only young people use the polite 'ni', is that true?

Finnish Swede
12-27-2018, 02:48 PM
In Scandinavia, so I've been told, the polite form is ironically more commonly in use among younger people, whereas boomers always speak very casually. Only young people use the polite 'ni', is that true?

I just wanted to point out ... what is important and what isn't.

Younger people? I have not noticed.

Stratagos
12-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Arriba España.

Dandelion
12-27-2018, 03:06 PM
I just wanted to point out ... what is important and what isn't.

Younger people? I have not noticed.

Only in restaurants and boutiques, according to DuoLingo Swedes. :p And initially the polite 'Ni' went in decline since 1970 or so and was originally introduced in the 19th century after French example. So yeah, it probably won't be seeing its return ever.

Stratagos
12-27-2018, 03:13 PM

'

I've listened that in germanic countries people are considered "rude", cold..., is that true?. In my opinion are just laconic manners, what doesn't imply to be rude.

Finnish Swede
12-27-2018, 03:27 PM
I've listened that in germanic countries people are considered "rude", cold..., is that true?. In my opinion are just laconic manners, what doesn't imply to be rude.

You are absolutely right ... but some takes/feels it that way.

Sacrificed Ram
12-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Showing my dick.

Thorns
12-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Wah gwan my yute?

Stratagos
12-27-2018, 03:45 PM
You are absolutely right ... but some takes/feels it that way.

I think this to be a racial thing mainly. Anyway, I prefer hundreds of times more that type of marcial, noble character than people laughing and acting hipocritally so they please everyone.

Daco Celtic
12-27-2018, 04:18 PM
I just say "how you you doin' there" followed by a nickname. Like "How you doin' there Sparky?", "How you doin' there Bozo?", "How you doin' there Jerky?", "How you doin' there Fruitcake?". People are charmed by these nicknames.

Gründig
12-27-2018, 04:31 PM
"Suhhhhh brahh chaaaa oh shit what's up"

Kriptc06
12-27-2018, 04:56 PM
"hello" (oi)

nittionia
12-27-2018, 05:02 PM
If it's my friend then I start by saying their name really loudly: AMELIA OMG HI HOW ARE YOU?!
If I don't know the person then: Excuse me, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (actually say blah) *then maybe insert hug or handshake*

Thanas Django
12-27-2018, 05:18 PM
"Oh, I see you have a vagina..."

best conversation starter.

Stratagos
12-27-2018, 05:44 PM
If it's my friend then I start by saying their name really loudly: AMELIA OMG HI HOW ARE YOU?!
If I don't know the person then: Excuse me, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (actually say blah) *then maybe insert hug or handshake*

you don't know the person and you give a hug? is that common in America?

nittionia
12-27-2018, 05:50 PM
you don't know the person and you give a hug? is that common in America?

Well I guess it depends on the situation. If I’m meeting someone for the first time in a personal setting then I might give them a hug (only if it’s a female). Otherwise no lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 06:09 PM
^ I thought Americans were into observing private space. This surprises me to be honest.

Khamzat
12-27-2018, 06:11 PM
'Hello sir, would you like to hear some stories of our lord and savior Jesus Christ?'

Thanas Django
12-27-2018, 06:13 PM
^ I thought Americans were into observing private space. This surprises me to be honest.

The U.S.A is no cultural monolith. Maybe people in Utah observe private space but I wouldn't expect Floridians to do such a thing unless they are Mormons or Jw.

The Lawspeaker
12-27-2018, 06:23 PM
The U.S.A is no cultural monolith. Maybe people in Utah observe private space but I wouldn't expect Floridians to do such a thing unless they are Mormons or Jw.

Thanks. I know only some of the basics. For the rest, I quite like having the Atlantic where it is (if you catch my drift). ;)

Benyzero
12-27-2018, 06:31 PM
I don't have a problem with starting a conversation, but usually Im trying to be engaging at first. In other times I don't give a damn to start any conversation, and in those moments Im not the best company to chit chat . :D Anyway I say Szia, or Hali in hungarian, or jó napot! which means good day to the elder folk.

Vojnik
12-27-2018, 06:36 PM
"hey, hows it goin"

Catarinense1998
12-27-2018, 06:42 PM
Hi, how are you?

Kazimiera
12-27-2018, 06:43 PM
"I hate my fucking life"

You must be a wonderful conversation starter. I cannot wait not to meet you.....

Borealis
12-27-2018, 06:54 PM
You must be a wonderful conversation starter. I cannot wait not to meet you.....

I hope you realize I don't actually talk like that.

Kaloon
12-27-2018, 06:56 PM
"I hate my fucking life"

Yup say that and yell get out of my head on say the subway- pretty easy way to scatter strangers and friends...

Kazimiera
12-27-2018, 06:57 PM
I hope you realize I don't actually talk like that.

On Apricty ANYTHING is possible! :lol:

Freeroostah
12-27-2018, 06:59 PM
I make things awkward so I keep my mouth shut and mind my own business

The Blade
12-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Depends on if I know the person or not and what are the circumstances we meet.
However, I always use the entire form of my first name and I find it weird in the rare cases when I hear a male present himself with a shortened form of his name. I don't like it and never do it when meeting anyone for the first time, especially when meeting females.

gıulıoımpa
12-27-2018, 08:45 PM
i start from the circumstances around or something that just happened , maybe a joke about that too.

Morticia
12-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Too autistic to start conversations.

Veneda
12-27-2018, 09:10 PM
I am not a fan of a small talk and usually try to avoid starting conversation when there is not such a need, but if I have to I say: Cześć/Dzień dobry. Przepraszam, czy... (Hi/Good morning. Excuse me, would you...) or Ładna dzisiaj pogoda.../Nice weather today... :D

KMack
12-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Good morning, how are you?
or in California,
Buenos días cómo estás?

Aldaris
12-27-2018, 09:39 PM
I don’t start conversations with strangers, ever, as it is regarded as weird, annoying and rude in here. With my friends, it is just something like ‘hey, how’s it going?’.

щрбл
12-27-2018, 09:54 PM
I have a script that drops a greeting line for my colleagues in the internal company chat every morning. Shaking hands, small conversations and the like is annoying and costs too much energy to walk around the office.

For friends, it's generally "yo, dawg, <insert some stupid question>" (that would be the english apprx. translation) because it sounds somehow funny, childish and cool at the same time.

As for people I don't know, "good <time of the day>" does the job most of the time.

Georgia
12-27-2018, 09:55 PM
I say “what’s up, my nigga?” and then I greet with a friendly big chest bump. :)

Token
12-27-2018, 10:04 PM
'E aí?', the Brazilian version of 'what's up'. Then i just go with the flow.

Ayetooey
12-27-2018, 10:05 PM
I'll have two double cheeseburgers and a diet coke please.

Joso
12-27-2018, 10:08 PM
"Suhhhhh brahh chaaaa oh shit what's up"

"Sup fags"

Dick
12-27-2018, 10:09 PM
I say “what’s up, my nigga?” and then I greet with a friendly big chest bump. :)

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-08-2016/vBRCJS.gif

Rædwald
12-27-2018, 10:28 PM
Talk really loud about stuff I like until people stop talking and stare in confusion. Then I usually go home and don't do anything for a few weeks. :lol:

It's the chad way to conversation

Bogdan
12-28-2018, 09:38 PM
It’s situational. I am usually casual and discuss something relevant around us to start talking.

Ruggery
12-29-2018, 03:33 AM
It depends on the people the moment and the place.
I do not have a fixed way to start a conversation.

Joso
12-29-2018, 04:41 AM
Talk really loud about stuff I like until people stop talking and stare in confusion. Then I usually go home and don't do anything for a few weeks. :lol:

It's the chad way to conversation

More like te austist way of conversation :lol:

Joso
01-01-2019, 01:52 AM
bump

Celestia
12-13-2019, 03:12 AM
I’m pretty shy irl.
Someone else has to initiate but I can carry on the conversation just fine.

Nazarene
12-13-2019, 03:16 AM
Shit talk banter

Dick
12-13-2019, 03:48 AM
I ask if they have any spare change.

Sarmatian
12-13-2019, 04:03 AM
I ask if they have any spare change.

Right. Make her invest into relationship first :P

Daos777
12-13-2019, 04:04 AM
Hi, the ad said $100 dollars right?

Daco Celtic
12-13-2019, 04:08 AM
"Hey, what ya say twinkle toes! How ya doing ya old bastard, haven't seen you months"

Cumansky
12-13-2019, 04:11 AM
80 for hour

$$$

?

RandomGuy20
12-13-2019, 04:31 AM
Introduce myself then ask a question. Everybody likes to talk about themselves to an extent so its the best way to get someone invested in the conversation - also shows your interested in getting to know them.

dududud
12-13-2019, 05:31 AM
Hello. Eat my cum.