PDA

View Full Version : Bede's voice regarding the settlement of England.

Barreldriver
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I have finished reading the Ecclesiastical History of the English people and a few things caught my interest regarding who settled with the Anglo-Saxon's, besides the tripartite settlement of the Anglo's, Saxon's, and Jutes Bede also mentions Frisians, Bructeri, Danes, and Rugii.

On page 27 of my edition (Book 1, ch. 15), Bede states this:

"They came from three very powerful Germanic tribes, the Saxons, Angles, and Jutes. The people of Kent and the inhabitants of the Isle of Wight are of Jutish origin and also those opposite the Isle of Wight, that part of the kingdom of Wessex which is still today called the kingdom of the Jutes."

"From the Saxon country, that is the district now known as Old Saxony, came the East Saxons, the South Saxons, and the West Saxons. Besides this, from the country of the Angles, that is, the land between the kingdoms of the Jutes and the Saxons, which is called Angulus, came the East Angles, the Middle Angles, the Mercians, and all the Northumbrian race."

On pate 247 of my edition (Book 5, ch. 8), Bede states this when telling the tale of Egbert's desire to be a missionary in Frisia:

"there were very many peoples in Germany from whome the Angles and Saxons, who now live in Britain, derive their origin: hence ven to this day they are by a corruption called Garmani by their neighbors the Britons. Now these people are the Frisians, Rugians, Danes, Old Saxons and the Bructeri."

The tripartite settlement I'm sure all of us are familiar with, as I am sure some are even familiar with the concept of Frisians being among the Anglo-Saxons, but a few caught my interest these being the Rugians, Bructeri, and Danes.

I know that some have tried to place Angulus near Schleswig-Hosltein which borders Denmark but also Jutland is in Denmark so perhaps he's referring to Jutes?

My issue comes from some words my professor had regarding Jutes, he had stated even though they were by name Jutes that they didn't come from the modern Jutland but from Eastern Frisia so is Bede using Jutes and Frisian synonymously, Angles and Danes synonymously, or Jutes and Danes synonymously?

The Rugii from what I know lived near Pomerania and in some parts of Norway, I was not previously aware of any early settlers from what is now Pomerania or Norway, I am curious where Bede derives his claim from as I was under the impression that the Rugii went with the Goths as opposed the Anglo-Saxons.

Then the Bructeri, I would assume that the Bructeri were assimilated with the Old Saxon's who migrated to Britain since Bructeri lands were rather nearby the Saxons.