PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any documents certifying that you belong to a certain ethnicity?

W. R.
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
I know that in Latvian passports there is a column 'ethnicity'. It looks like such a thing exist in Estonia too. (Soviet legacy? Trollolol.) :tongue
Many could have been Russian who decided that their childs birth certificate should say "Estonian". I know people from Russian families, who according to their passport are Estonians.There is no such column in Belarusian passports, but in certificates of birth the ethnicity of the mother and the father of a child is specified.

I read somewhere on internetz that on demand one can get a stamp in their passport specifying the ethnicity of the bearer.

What about your country?

Hussar
05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
unfortunately in the ROMANCE speaking countries it's not historical tradition to collect and keep data about such kind of data. Especially in the modern era, after the french revolution so under the legal systems originated from it.

Even the fascist government had problems to propose something of similar. It's just out of the latin derived jurisdiction structure and mindset.

In FRANCE still isn't legal any census to know the ethnicity or racial status of population

Pity (since would be interesting to know such data)

The only documents we have to prove something.......is the genealogic research.

Grumpy Cat
05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I was arrested when I was 20. Ethnicity is specified on detention IDs.

But that may be long gone, since it's off my record now.

Bobby Martnen
10-29-2018, 08:43 AM
The census marks me as White, but other than that, no