PDA

View Full Version : Which country is Iran closest to?

Marmara
01-07-2019, 12:47 AM
Culture-wise, leave aside genetics and looks.

Myanthropologies
01-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Afghanistan and Azerbaijan.

nittionia
01-07-2019, 12:52 AM
This is an ignorant opinion but I would guess Azerbaijan.

Phenix
01-07-2019, 12:57 AM
This is an ignorant opinion but I would guess Azerbaijan.

And yet the most accurate.

StonyArabia
01-07-2019, 12:59 AM
It wanted to Persianize Iraq, but it never happened lol. Now many people in Iraq are distancing themselves from Iran.

Khamzat
01-07-2019, 01:01 AM
Azerbaijan is the closest and Pakistan is the furthest from the options given

Marmara
01-07-2019, 01:01 AM
It wanted to Persianize Iraq, but it never happened lol. Now many people in Iraq are distancing themselves from Iran.

Even the Shias? :)

itilvolga
01-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Afghanistan

StonyArabia
01-07-2019, 01:08 AM
Even the Shias? :)

Yes, many of them are becoming more Arabian nationalists and favor more relationship with other Arab states. Just recently many Shia Arabs in Basra protest against Iran, and Iranian political meddling. Sunni Arabs from the West especially, my region, always think themselves of Bedouins and have rejected Iranian influence upon them. Iraqi Shia Arabs are mostly of Bedouin origins, and thus unlike Levantine Shias are always more attracted to Arabist/Arabian ideals. Shia Arabs in Iraq say I am Arab and Shia, trying to show disconnect. Due to how post 2003 Iraq looks like many of them are disenchanted with their political elites. However they are also tribal people who would not want to fight Sunni Arabs whom might belong to their clans, thus it's very complex situation. The saying blood is thicker than water really applies to them.

Chaos One
01-07-2019, 01:10 AM
Hmm...Tajikistan IMO. Not on the list, btw.

Borealis
01-07-2019, 01:12 AM
Afghanistan and Azerbaijan equally.

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:15 AM
Yep, azerbaijan and afghanistan.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 01:17 AM
Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Azerbaijan. Tajikistan is probably closer because they happen to be more secular and non islamized like most afghans are. The speak the same language and practice the same culture if Islam was left out

StonyArabia
01-07-2019, 01:17 AM
Azerbaijan and Afghanistan, and possibly Tajikistan. Azerbaijan shares more links to Iran than Afghanistan, but Afghanistan comes close. Outside of these area probably Southern Lebanon Jebal Amal

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:19 AM
Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Azerbaijan. Tajikistan is probably closer because they happen to be more secular and non islamized like most afghans are. The speak the same languages and practice the same culture if Islam was left outActually azerbaijan is probably the closest to Iran in terms of everything except for language. Tajiks may speak the same language, but they are culturally a lot more similiar to pashtuns.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Khamzat
01-07-2019, 01:24 AM
Actually azerbaijan is probably the closest to Iran in terms of everything except for language. Tajiks may speak the same language, but they are culturally a lot more similiar to pashtuns.

Can Iranians tell Afghans and Iranians apart in Iran or do the afghan refugees blend in there?

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:26 AM
Can Iranians tell Afghans and Iranians apart in Iran or do the afghan refugees blend in there?

They can tell them apart. Most afghan refugees are hazaras.

Khamzat
01-07-2019, 01:27 AM
They can tell them apart. Most afghan refugees are hazaras.
What about Pashtun and Tajik ones?

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:29 AM
What about Pashtun and Tajik ones?

Theres barely any of them, but they can't tell them apart.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 01:29 AM

Afghans are known to be treated like shit in Iran. They are recognized easily. On average afghans do differ from Iranians appearance wise. Hazaras even more. Based on my experience, afghans have a most robust and archaic Iranic look than Iranians. The Persians from Fars don't look the same as the Persian speaking population in Afghanistan. But they overlap

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:30 AM
Afghans are known to be treated like shit in Iran. On average afghans do differ from Iranians appearance wise. Hazaras even more. Based on my experience, afghans have a most robust and archaic Iranic look than Iranians. The Persians from Fars don't look the same as the Persian speaking population in Iran.

What? lol

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 01:31 AM
Actually azerbaijan is probably the closest to Iran in terms of everything except for language. Tajiks may speak the same language, but they are culturally a lot more similiar to pashtuns.

Azerbaijan is closer but the language is different.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 01:31 AM
What? lol

Afghanistan*

Khamzat
01-07-2019, 01:35 AM
Afghans are known to be treated like shit in Iran. They are recognized easily. On average afghans do differ from Iranians appearance wise. Hazaras even more. Based on my experience, afghans have a most robust and archaic Iranic look than Iranians.The Persians from Fars don't look the same as the Persian speaking population in Afghanistan. But they overlap
I agree that’s one of the ways I tell them apart aswell. Do you think if Afghans inter grated better they would be seen as fellow Persians or will they always be seen as Afghan immigrants in Iran?

tipirneni
01-07-2019, 01:35 AM
Azer baijan & South Asia

tipirneni
01-07-2019, 01:38 AM
South Asia / (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh )has more number of people of Iranian ancestry than Iran proper.
http://shianumbers.com/uploads/3/4/8/5/34859295/1416271591.jpg

Khamzat
01-07-2019, 01:40 AM
South Asia / (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh )has more number of people of Iranian ancestry than Iran proper.
Stop trolling

Rgvgjhvv
01-07-2019, 01:44 AM
Interesting. I did not know

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 01:54 AM
I agree that’s one of the ways I tell them apart aswell. Do you think if Afghans inter grated better they would be seen as fellow Persians or will they always be seen as Afghan immigrants in Iran?

Their country is in ruins, infested with Islamists and terrorists, they also don't identify with Iranians so they will always be seen as immigrants. They value their sunni Islam more than their relationship with Iran

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:55 AM
Their country is in ruins, infested with Islamists and terrorists, they also don't identify with Iranians so they will always be seen as immigrants. They value their sunni Islam more than their relationship with IranMan, why do you hate islam so much? This wasnt even a thing back in Iran 10 years ago.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 01:56 AM

We don't give a single fuck about religion. It's an ideology that a European could follow.

Babak
01-07-2019, 01:57 AM
Their country is in ruins, infested with Islamists and terrorists, they also don't identify with Iranians so they will always be seen as immigrants. They value their sunni Islam more than their relationship with IranMan, why do you hate Islam so much? This wasnt even a thing in Iran 10 years ago.

♥ Lily ♥
01-07-2019, 02:07 AM
Man, why do you hate islam so much? This wasnt even a thing back in Iran 10 years ago.

https://media.tenor.com/images/9697743a518560396b9f71dcf7d79922/tenor.gif

Why do muslims hate infidels so much?

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/3111876_islamreligionofpeace_jpeg7e3d2e34528dd3b02 854eb1ee8a13dbd

Senpai
01-07-2019, 02:10 AM
Armenia, they both get the fellow white pass from me.

Babak
01-07-2019, 02:12 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/9697743a518560396b9f71dcf7d79922/tenor.gif

Why do muslims hate infidels so much?

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/3111876_islamreligionofpeace_jpeg7e3d2e34528dd3b02 854eb1ee8a13dbd

Im specifically talking about todays population of Iran, not islam itself.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 02:15 AM
Man, why do you hate Islam so much? This wasnt even a thing in Iran 10 years ago.

Why do people hate nazism so much? It's not even a question. They raped, inslaved and murdered your people.

Impaler
01-07-2019, 02:18 AM
I think between Afghanistan and Azerbaijan.

Vožd
01-07-2019, 02:45 AM
Afghanistan

Mingle
01-07-2019, 03:50 AM
They value their sunni Islam more than their relationship with Iran

Most of them are Shia Hazaras.

lameduck
01-07-2019, 03:55 AM
Afghanistan and Azerbaijan , though Western Half of Pakistan is also part of iranic world.

lameduck
01-07-2019, 03:58 AM
Theres barely any of them, but they can't tell them apart.

Yeah,I dont think most Pashtuns will stick out in Iran specially in Large crowds , there is an iranian azeri member on another board whose uncle lived in Quetta, he was saying according to his uncle Pashtun look very much like iranians.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 05:13 AM
Afghanistan and Azerbaijan , though Western Half of Pakistan is also part of iranic world.

So are ossetians but they're not culturally close to Iran. Azerbaijan, Afghanistan and Tajikistan have overlapping cultural aspects. Anything from the Persian new year to foods, literature and behavior. I don't know much about the Pashtuns in Pakistan. I feel like they are culturally different like ossetians. I always thought of Pakistan as more of an Indian province. Culturally they are much closer to northern India. It's apparent in their food, traditional clothes and behavior

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Most of them are Shia Hazaras.

The refugees yes but you're not gonna see other Afghan communities caring about their relationship with Iran. They don't like Iran because of the Sunni shia divide. Tajiks however are different. They are more secular and accepting.

lameduck
01-07-2019, 05:23 AM
So are ossetians but they're not culturally close to Iran. Azerbaijan, Afghanistan and Tajikistan have overlapping cultural aspects. Anything from the Persian new year to foods, literature and behavior. I don't know much about the Pashtuns in Pakistan. I feel like they are culturally different like ossetians. I always thought of Pakistan as more of an Indian province. Culturally they are much closer to northern India. It's apparent in their food, traditional clothes and behavior

Pakistan is its own region now , different regions of Pakistan has influenced each other in complex way in last 70 years to produce a unique blend but strongest influence in Pakistan is of North India(Eastern Part) and Afghanistan(West and North Part).
When I say west Pakistan is part of iranic world I meant whole iranian plateau as Afghanistan and West Pakistan are also on iranian plateau.Iranian plateau roughly constitute the boundary of iranic World.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Plateau

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Pakistan is its own region now , different regions of Pakistan has influenced each other in complex way in last 70 years to produce a unique blend but strongest influence in Pakistan is of North India(Eastern Part) and Afghanistan(West and North Part).
When I say west Pakistan is part of iranic world I meant whole iranian plateau as Afghanistan and West Pakistan are also on iranian plateau.Iranian plateau roughly constitute the boundary of iranic World.

I think you're mistaking the Iranian plateau with Khorasan. Khorasan is native Iranian land which includes Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Iranic people in general are native to these areas. All 4 countries were part of Iran until the 1700s when Iran lost it to Russia. Azerbaijan has always been part of Iran as well. The same thing can't be said about Pakistan as a whole. Uzbekistan is still pretty close to Iran despite the overwhelming Turkic indentity. Persian speaking communities still live in Uzbekistan. Khorasan has a much greater Iranian influence than Pakistan. But if the pashtun culture there is the same as it is in Afghanistan then Itd be a different story.

Babak
01-07-2019, 05:58 AM
Ossets are just Iranic speaking caucasians, not much to do with them at all anyway.

Mingle
01-07-2019, 06:00 AM
But if the pashtun culture there is the same as it is in Afghanistan then Itd be a different story.

It is more or less. The main difference being that among Pashtuns in Pakistan, only the Shias celebrate Nowruz whereas the vast majority of Pashtuns don't. We also don't speak Persian which I'd say makes a big difference. I don't think we'd be as distant as Ossetia, but I can see why Iranians would feel close to Afghanistanis instead.

lameduck
01-07-2019, 06:01 AM
I think you're mistaking the Iranian plateau with Khorasan. Khorasan is native Iranian land which includes Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Iranic people in general are native to these areas. All 4 countries were part of Iran until the 1700s when Iran lost it to Russia. Azerbaijan has always been part of Iran as well. The same thing can't be said about Pakistan as a whole. Uzbekistan is still pretty close to Iran despite the overwhelming Turkic indentity. Persian speaking communities still live in Uzbekistan. Khorasan has a much greater Iranian influence than Pakistan. But if the pashtun culture there is the same as it is in Afghanistan then Itd be a different story.

i am not confusing anything, I was talking about iranian plateau which ends at Indus river in Pakistan
"The Iranian Plateau or the Persian Plateau[1][2] is a geological feature in Western Asia and Central Asia. It is the part of the Eurasian Plate wedged between the Arabian and Indian plates, situated between the Zagros Mountains to the west, the Caspian Sea and the Kopet Dag to the north, the Armenian Highlands and the Caucasus Mountains in the northwest, the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf to the south and the Indus River to the east in Pakistan."

"From the Caspian in the northwest to Baluchistan in the south-east, the Iranian Plateau extends for close to 2,000 km. It encompasses the greater part of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan west of the Indus River on an area roughly outlined by the quadrangle formed by the cities of Tabriz, Shiraz, Peshawar and Quetta containing some 3,700,000 square kilometres (1,400,000 sq mi)"

As for Pakistani Pashtun culture , its very similar to Pashtun culture of neighbouring Afghanistan. Most Pashtun lives in Rural areas in Western Pakistan and East Afghanistan in a continuous region.

Anyways I dont want to come across as someone trying to build connections, so will not post more on this topic.

Babak
01-07-2019, 06:03 AM
It is more or less. The main difference being that among Pashtuns in Pakistan, only the Shias celebrate Nowruz whereas the vast majority of Pashtuns don't. We also don't speak Persian which I'd say makes a big difference. I don't think we'd be as distant as Ossetia, but I can see why Iranians would feel close to Afghanistanis instead.I find it a bit odd that nearly all iranic groups(and most turkic ones) celebrate nowruz except for pashtuns. Why is this?

Mingle
01-07-2019, 06:08 AM
I find it a bit odd that nearly all iranic groups(and most turkic ones) celebrate nowruz except for pashtuns. Why is this?

Its mostly a Persian thing not a Pan-Iranic thing like popularly believed. Its common among Kurds and Azeris cause they were heavily influenced by Persians.

In Afghanistan, I've heard from some Pashtuns its celebrated and from others that its only "observed" but nobody does anything that day. The chaharshahanbeh suri thing wasn't done in Afghanistan until Hazara refugees brought it from Iran to Afghanistan and it still isn't done by most in Afg. Central Asian Turks and Tatars also observe Nowruz.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 07:17 AM
i am not confusing anything, I was talking about iranian plateau which ends at Indus river in Pakistan
"The Iranian Plateau or the Persian Plateau[1][2] is a geological feature in Western Asia and Central Asia. It is the part of the Eurasian Plate wedged between the Arabian and Indian plates, situated between the Zagros Mountains to the west, the Caspian Sea and the Kopet Dag to the north, the Armenian Highlands and the Caucasus Mountains in the northwest, the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf to the south and the Indus River to the east in Pakistan."

"From the Caspian in the northwest to Baluchistan in the south-east, the Iranian Plateau extends for close to 2,000 km. It encompasses the greater part of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan west of the Indus River on an area roughly outlined by the quadrangle formed by the cities of Tabriz, Shiraz, Peshawar and Quetta containing some 3,700,000 square kilometres (1,400,000 sq mi)"

As for Pakistani Pashtun culture , its very similar to Pashtun culture of neighbouring Afghanistan. Most Pashtun lives in Rural areas in Western Pakistan and East Afghanistan in a continuous region.

Anyways I dont want to come across as someone trying to build connections, so will not post more on this topic.

Iranian plateau has nothing to do with cultural and ethnical relations. It is specifically a geographical location. Turkey is part of the Anatolian plate because of the subduction zones (its not attached to the European plate) India is part of the Indian plate because some billion years ago, India was not attached to Asia but crashed into Asia due to the expansion of oceanic crust (resulted in the Himalayian mountain range). African plate is slowly getting closer and closer to Europe, in billions of years, Africa and Europe. will be under one plate. Iranian plateau won't exist either.

For example, the alborz and zagros mountain ranges in Iran define the Iranian plateau because they are the result of 2 different plates crashing into one another through subduction zones.
These are all scientific terms. It's just a coincidence that it was named the Iranian plateau.
If they are culturally the same as the ones in Afghanistan then yes they are no different than Afghan Pashtuns. Pakistan as a whole is different which is why I hesitated because I don't know what kind of cultural similarities Pakistani Pashtuns share.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Ossets are just Iranic speaking caucasians, not much to do with them at all anyway.

You do realize that modern day Iranians are genetically closer to ossetians than Tajiks right? That's what all autosomal graphs illustrate anyway. When it comes to comparing Iranians on gedmatch, Tajiks are never really seen but ossetians are always there. Iranians are closer to Georgians than any central Asian Iranic population. Especially the Caspian ones.

Mingle
01-07-2019, 07:37 AM
You do realize that modern day Iranians are genetically closer to ossetians than Tajiks right? That's what all autosomal graphs illustrate anyway. When it comes to comparing Iranians on gedmatch, Tajiks are never really seen but ossetians are always there. Iranians are closer to Georgians than any central Asian Iranic population.They also have some Persian cultural influence. A late 17th century French traveller described Georgia as having Persian cultural customs and the Persian language was used there as well by the elite. The same presumably applies to Ossetia. Though they've become more distant from Iran after the 19th century when they became part of Russia.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 07:43 AM
They also have some Persian cultural influence. A late 17th century French traveller described Georgia as having Persian cultural customs and the Persian language was used there as well by the elite. The same presumably applies to Ossetia. Though they've become more distant from Iran after the 19th century when they became part of Russia.

Their life style is not at all different from any modern Iranian. I had a Georgian friend describe what their life style was like. For example, Their marriage customs work the same way, their behavior is the same. Their music and religion are different. Other than that they do share a lot of cultural similarities with Iran.

I think Christianity is what separates ossetians from Iranians. They are more eastern European like than Iranian.

renaissance12
01-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Armenia

Babak
01-07-2019, 02:43 PM
You do realize that modern day Iranians are genetically closer to ossetians than Tajiks right? That's what all autosomal graphs illustrate anyway. When it comes to comparing Iranians on gedmatch, Tajiks are never really seen but ossetians are always there. Iranians are closer to Georgians than any central Asian Iranic population. Especially the Caspian ones.

I think their rather equal tbh. Music, customs, and food from central asia isn't much different from Irans.

Papastratosels26
01-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Azerbaijan

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 05:58 PM
I think their rather equal tbh. Music, customs, and food from central asia isn't much different from Irans.

No I'm talking about genetics. Iranians are closer to ossetians genetically than to central Asians. Culture wise, central Asians are closer to Iran

Thracian
01-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Turkey

Babak
01-07-2019, 06:31 PM
No I'm talking about genetics. Iranians are closer to ossetians genetically than to central Asians. Culture wise, central Asians are closer to Iran

Oh, well that, yea

Ice
01-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Armenia.

Prinses
01-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Azerbaijan

Myanthropologies
01-07-2019, 09:14 PM

That's arguable. Caspian Iranians, Eastern Iranians, and even a Mazandarani guy used to post here that went by the name "TheCaspian" was genetically closer to Central Asian Iranics than to Ossets

Myanthropologies
01-07-2019, 09:17 PM
I find it a bit odd that nearly all iranic groups(and most turkic ones) celebrate nowruz except for pashtuns. Why is this?

A lot of Pashtuns celebrate nowruz, but a lot of Pakistani Pashtuns are losing their culture, becoming more desi-fied, and dont celebrate it. There are many Pakistani Pashtuns who cant even speak pashto anymore, unfortunately.

Fibonacci
01-07-2019, 11:25 PM
That's arguable. Caspian Iranians, Eastern Iranians, and even a Mazandarani guy used to post here that went by the name "TheCaspian" was genetically closer to Central Asian Iranics than to Ossets

He probably had Parthian descendants. The parthians were eastern Iranians who were concentrated in the north along the Caspian coast rather than central or southern iran. From what I've seen, Iranian gedmatches never show any central Asian population within considerable distance. It's a cluster of Caucasians and Turks with Jews. If any ancient migrations took place between Iran and the Caucasus, the Caspian belt would be the epicentre. Iranians have a higher west Asian and east med than central Asians which is why they cluster with caucasians than afghans or Tajiks.

Babak
01-07-2019, 11:27 PM
He probably had Parthian descendants. The parthians were eastern Iranians who were concentrated in the north along the Caspian coast rather than central or southern iran. From what I've seen, Iranian gedmatches never show any central Asian population within considerable distance. It's a cluster of Caucasians and Turks with Jews. If any ancient migrations took place between Iran and the Caucasus, the Caspian belt would be the epicentre. Iranians have a higher west Asian and east med than central Asians which is why they cluster with caucasians than afghans or Tajiks.

No its due to native neolithic dna. In fact, Caspians barely even have steppe dna compared to any other ethnic group in Iran. They are rather a very archaic group of people

StonyArabia
01-08-2019, 06:06 AM

That's because Ossets are genetically not Iranian at all have nothing to do with Iranians/Persians in Iran. Ossets were most likely Iranized by the Alans who gave their name to them. Ossets are genetically identical to other Kavkaz ethnic groups like Chechens, Circassians, however them and the Balkars share almost identical genome which indicates that both underwent language shift through elite dominance one by an Iranic group and the other by a Kipchak Turkic group.

Mingle
01-08-2019, 07:50 AM

There was another East Iranic group that came to that region from Central Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapur_tribe

They presumably had a lot of influence there since they're the reason Iran's Caspian Coast was historically called Tabaristan.

Parthians were historically concentrated in Northeast Iran (Khorasan) but some migrated westwards later (including Mazandaran) since they had some capitals in more western lands.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Median_Empire.jpg

There's a language called Semnani that's directly descended from Parthian that's still alive in Semnan, but just barely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semnani_languages

On Anthrogenica, there was a result of an Iranian from Gorgan posted and he was much closer to Persians and Kurds than to Pashtuns and Tajiks, although he did show clear eastern influence. It was on puntDNAL K12 which isn't a good calculator at all, but better than nothing I suppose.

Balochis, Khorasanis, and maybe some Semnanis would be closer to Pashtuns/Tajiks than to Ossetians whereas the remaining majority of Iranians would be closer to Ossetians.

Mingle
01-08-2019, 07:53 AM
No its due to native neolithic dna. In fact, Caspians barely even have steppe dna compared to any other ethnic group in Iran. They are rather a very archaic group of peopleTheir extra South Asian is also neolithic?

Babak
01-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Their extra South Asian is also neolithic?

Yep. The rest of persians dont score so much south asian

lameduck
01-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Yep. The rest of persians dont score so much south asian

can you post oracles of caspian iranians?

Fareedan
07-18-2019, 03:55 AM
Armenia. Even though it is a Christian state, Armenia has one of the closest relationship with Iran.

Zeus
07-18-2019, 04:12 AM
Likely Afghanistan given the linguistic similarities and common iranic racial origins of many of the various ethnic groups in both nations.

Kyp
07-18-2019, 07:23 AM
Depends on the region I guess. Overall I would say Azerbaijan and Afghanistan.

Tigranes
07-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Azerbaijan = Northern Iran

Armenian Bishop
07-18-2019, 09:57 AM
It looks to me like none of the country selections really can match Iran well enough to call them an ideal match. People here promote Azerbaijan as the ideal choice, but I really don't agree, unless we're talking about the Azerbaijani Region South of the Araxes River.

Politically speaking, Baku, Azerbaijan has little in common with Iran's Politics. Azerbaijan's political climate casts a shadow over its social environment, so much so that it looks alien to what we see in Iran. Even the religious environment is different. I could elaborate upon it, but for now I've said enough.

user_
07-19-2019, 05:39 PM
What I see on the videos from travel vlogs about Iran it looks like a well developed Afghanistan.

Swarthy_Syndicate
03-30-2021, 02:30 AM
Afghanistan. With the exception of the differing dialects their culture/religion is identical. Tajikistan at a close second.

Chocolate_Hound
12-05-2021, 02:47 AM
Hmm...Tajikistan IMO. Not on the list, btw.

I'd say Iran is closer to Afghanistan because Russian influence is too strong in Tajikistan. In Afghanistan it died out after the 80's.

StonyArabia
12-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Iran is closest to Afghanistan, same race, look similar, have same holidays. After that is Tajikistan. After that is Azerbaijan who are basically Turkized Iranians, with some Caucasian base. After that it is Armenia which had significant Iranian influence, and then Georgia. This how it is currently. Before it would be Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Merv was one of the capitals of the Persian empire, as well Bukhara was a Persian city. Now they are Mongolized and Turkized. Pre-Islamic Iran also had similarity to Northern India as well.

Perunovsin
12-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Iran ≈ Iwalked

StonyArabia
12-05-2021, 12:00 PM
https://youtu.be/iIpfWORQWhU
Iran ≈ Iwalked

Arūnas
12-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Paleo and North Iranid - similar phenotypes

StonyArabia
12-05-2021, 01:35 PM
https://youtu.be/46rdXCKzuHs

Avicenna
12-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Azerbaijan

Kyp
12-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Northwest Iran = Azerbaijan and Eastern Turkey
Southwest Iran = between Azerbaijan and Iraq
Northeast Iran = between Azerbaijan and Afghanistan
Southeast Iran? = Afghanistan and Pakistan

overall closest countries: Azerbaijan, Afghanistan and Iraq. But it's hard to compare to a single country.

Babak
12-05-2021, 08:18 PM
Afghans are known to be treated like shit in Iran. They are recognized easily. On average afghans do differ from Iranians appearance wise. Hazaras even more. Based on my experience, afghans have a most robust and archaic Iranic look than Iranians. The Persians from Fars don't look the same as the Persian speaking population in Afghanistan. But they overlap

It looks to me like none of the country selections really can match Iran well enough to call them an ideal match. People here promote Azerbaijan as the ideal choice, but I really don't agree, unless we're talking about the Azerbaijani Region South of the Araxes River.

Politically speaking, Baku, Azerbaijan has little in common with Iran's Politics. Azerbaijan's political climate casts a shadow over its social environment, so much so that it looks alien to what we see in Iran. Even the religious environment is different. I could elaborate upon it, but for now I've said enough.

Edit