PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter the 'proud Englishman'

Groenewolf
03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-01-26/dirty-harry/full/)

I will quote and make a few selected parts bold of this interview.

But getting back to Mr. Obama. I am so proud and happy for this country. He is everything the rest of the world liked about America and now likes again. He is both Martin Luther King and JFK. He is a pioneer. He is a symbol of progress which is what we dig about this country. What you love about England is all the old buildings and such. The traditions. I love that, too. But this is what we want from you.

And may I? I’d like to take this opportunity to issue a public invitation to the Obamas that if their daughters would like a private tour of the Harry Potter set, I would be honored to be their personal tour guide.

[...]

definitely a republican in the British sense of the word. I just don’t see the use of the monarchy though I’m fierce patriot. I’m proud proud proud of being English, but I think the monarchy symbolizes a lot of what was wrong with the country. Not that they’re doing anything wrong—but that symbol of class division is not something I particularly like.

[...]

Your mother is Jewish. Do you identify as Jewish yourself?

Absolutely. I really do. My dad is Northern Irish and my mum is Jewish. That’s working blood. Though I am not religious in the least, I am very proud to be Jewish.

Beorn
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
...but English politics is just so overly white.Of course it is white. It is England, not Ghana or Pakistan. I wonder if he thinks the politics of Israel are too Jewish?

But in terms of that particular comment about Pakistanis, Prince Harry said a very stupid thing. He was probably very young at the time. I hope he has learned since not to say such a thing or at least learned not to be filmed saying it. What never seems to be reported in the press alongside this story, is the "Paki" in question went against his fathers press release and declared that he didn't think Prince Harry racist as he actually accepted the term and openly used racist epithets in return.

The Army world is a strange place compared to the world lived by those on civvy street.
What is offensive to you, Daniel, is not offensive to a real man.

I am very proud to be Jewish.
That should help you fit in here in New York. Are you ready for the run of Equus to end?
Unbelievable! I wonder if I could get away with suggesting New York is not nicknamed Jew York without reason?

I actually never knew this runt was a Jew. It explains his roaring success in Hollywood.

Groenewolf
03-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Of course it is white. It is England, not Ghana or Pakistan. I wonder if he thinks the politics of Israel are too Jewish?

Doubt it, since he is a proud Jew.

What never seems to be reported in the press alongside this story, is the "Paki" in question went against his fathers press release and declared that he didn't think Prince Harry racist as he actually accepted the term and openly used racist epithets in return.

Indeed that part seems to being downplayed. Daniel reaction is like that of the cops in the movie Demolition man, that thought Stalone and that old copper where being extremly rude to each other.

Sigurd
03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I actually never knew this runt was a Jew. It explains his roaring success in Hollywood.

One thing has to be said to J.K.Rowling's honour - that she stipulated that all roles be given to British Isles actors. That of course however an author who names her daughter after Jessica Mitford, the Marxist amongst a family of Fascists has a different conception of who may be "British" is a different thing altogether.

Other than that, I believe that Radcliffe is the only prominent member of the cast to have substantial Jewish ancestry. The only other two actors that I remember being Jewish are Zoe Wanamaker (Madam Hooch) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) - but they are rather minor.

Rupert Grint (Ron), Emma Watson (Hermione), Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), Alan Rickman (Snape) and Bonnie Wright (Ginny) are English, Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) is Scottish, and Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood) and both Richard Harris & Michael Gambon (both Dumbledore) are Irish.

Don't get me started on all the "ethnic" characters though... :rolleyes:

stormlord
03-07-2009, 03:48 PM
That’s one thing Harry Potter has done if nothing else. It has restored the reputation of the English boarding school. It has made it something other than a hotbed of homosexuality.

My boarding school had one gay guy, and he was ridiculed mercilessly the whole time he was there, it's not bloody 1904.

Absolutely. I really do. My dad is Northern Irish and my mum is Jewish. That’s working blood. Though I am not religious in the least, I am very proud to be Jewish

replace the word jew with someone talking about their quality German blood and they'd be calling him a Nazi in a second.

The whole interview is par for the course anyway, there's no more damning indictment of left wing politics than the fact that its strongest adherents are the most self absorbed, ignorant, detached from reality people on the planet; Hollywood actors.

also

What’s your theory as to why the genre is so enduring since Harry is perhaps the most famous orphan in all of literature?

Heard of someone called Oliver you moron, by that fellow Charles Dickens? And Harry Potter is literature? What a halfwit.

pps

Kevin Sessums is the author of the New York Times bestseller Mississippi Sissy, a memoir of his childhood.

har har! Mississippi Sissy, what a homo!

Sigurd
03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
My boarding school had one gay guy, and he was ridiculed mercilessly the whole time he was there, it's not bloody 1904.

Yes, I can acknowledge that from having been in a British boarding school (albeit a Scottish one). Homosexuality is generally ridiculed there, I only have to think back to the excellent banter that guy in our English class posed. Oh my --- we hardly gave him an easy time for being somewhat camp. :D

Heard of someone called Oliver you moron, by that fellow Charles Dickens? And Harry Potter is literature? What a halfwit.

Literature is generally any literary work, no matter how badly written. :tongue

har har! Mississippi Sissy, what a homo!

Surname sounds bad enough. Sounds a bit like an infectious disease. "Mummy, help, I got the Sussums." :D

Beorn
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
The only other two actors that I remember being Jewish are Zoe Wanamaker (Madam Hooch) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy)

I never realised Zoë Wanamaker (http://www.nndb.com/people/897/000140477/) is Jewish!?

I had never thought of her as being anything other than English, to be honest.

It seems she was born in New York.

Fortis in Arduis
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
:puke: Never heard this before have we? :bullet puke

I had a friend who I did some theatre with years ago. We took a production up to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

He was gay, a Cambridge graduate (King's College, I think), fairly left-wing by my standards but not politically correct, and not an ethnic appeaser, and not into his class war crap either:

He could never spin this sort of fluffy anti-waycist line so beloved by the acting profession.

Anyway, we are no longer in touch, but when we last spoke, it was clear that we agreed on one thing:

Most of his trouble in work stemmed from the fact that he was unable to go along with the feminist, anti-white/PC agenda in performing circles.

He was a non-racist person, and he worked with an ethnically diverse range of actors, covering all sort of issues, and he was even with that Artists Against The War crap for a while, but he always ran up against the same opposition...

Not from black people or gay people, but from white left-wing women who simply resented him for being an unapologetic, intelligent and confident white man.

We forget that the agenda is not so much pro-anything but simply anti-white man.

The white man is their enemy and they simply must bring him down either with forced integration or with the dissolution of cultural boundaries.