PDA

View Full Version : Least attractive-sounding European language

Wulfhere
05-14-2011, 12:46 AM
This is a very difficult one, because there are so many of them to choose from. Common wisdom would say German, but I personally think French is awful.

GeistFaust
05-14-2011, 01:28 AM
This is a very difficult one, because there are so many of them to choose from. Common wisdom would say German, but I personally think French is awful.

You are very wrong German can sound very beautiful at times but yes it is a guttural language. And there is no way the French language is an ugly sounding language. It is very rich and beautiful given the great diversity it draws on.

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 01:29 AM

Sicilian.

GeistFaust
05-14-2011, 01:31 AM
I would say a lot of the Slavic countries sound disgusting. Russian does sound cool though. I think that all the languages in western Europe are very nice sounding.

Peasant
05-14-2011, 01:32 AM
English when spoken by a Scot.

Rosenrot
05-14-2011, 01:34 AM
German and french are beautiful languages.
I don't like the Hungary dialect, it's to wierd.

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 01:36 AM
I would say a lot of the Slavic countries sound disgusting. Russian does sound cool though. I think that all the languages in western Europe are very nice sounding.

No offence to anyone, but from my latin prospective, also most of the germanic laguages (like aussie or NZ english) and some of the slavic have a "disgusting" and crude sound.

IMHO.

Comte Arnau
05-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Dutch. I like the people, but can't help finding the language little attractive from a phonological POV.

I don't like the Hungary dialect, it's to wierd.

Hungarian is a language.

Efim45
05-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Finnish sounds strange. German is a mighty fine language.

Rosenrot
05-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Dutch. I like the people, but can't help finding the language little attractive from a phonological POV.

Hungarian is a language.

a teacher once told me it's a dialect cause there's just one language that is a little close to it, and it's finnish :yuck:

Comte Arnau
05-14-2011, 01:42 AM
a teacher once told me it's a dialect cause there's just one language that is a little close to it, and it's finnish :yuck:

Lol. An expert on linguistics was he.

Rosenrot
05-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Lol. An expert on linguistics was he.
I'm proud of him
:thumb001:

poiuytrewq0987
05-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Finnish and German.

GeistFaust
05-14-2011, 03:18 AM
Finnish and German.

That is what a Serb says look at your language and surrounding languages I am sure the fairest things would look foul if nature actually responded to a language. German is one of the profoundest languages and given all its coarseness and roughness I am sure that its almost poetical and musical qualities penetrate through its the rather cold and harsh sounding nature of the language when spoken. I have studied linguistics and personally I have to agree with Heidegger when he says all languages merely speak of Being while German speaks Being it takes a certain individual to appreciate its high quality and great beauty.

Äike
05-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Russian, I hear it daily spoken by immigrants and it doesn't sound nice at all. Overall, the Slavic languages don't sound good, I guess.

Magister Eckhart
05-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Yiddish.

Treffie
05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
The north west Wales dialect of Welsh easily. Sounds like they're chewing on a dog's bollock.

alzo zero
05-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Calabrian with Sicilian runner-up.

Nurzat
05-14-2011, 01:19 PM
portuguese is a total turn-off. it's how they pronounce it, lengthening everything and with a strange-sounding emphasis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMK1iJhDHw

sounds reaaally weird and gay

Nurzat
05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
sorry, that's the link

Loki
05-14-2011, 01:40 PM
portuguese is a total turn-off. it's how they pronounce it, lengthening everything and with a strange-sounding emphasis

Portuguese is a beautiful language!

Rouxinol
05-14-2011, 01:42 PM
The link is Brazilian Portuguese.

Falkata
05-14-2011, 02:13 PM
The dutch are my favourite northerns but their language is a curse.
Seeing some angel looking girl opening her mouth and start talking like the exorcist girl is always a weird experience for me

Innar
05-14-2011, 03:25 PM
sorry, that's the link

It intrigues me why would you use some obscure Pernambuco Newscast video as representative?

Here:

J16o9bYS-no

If you dislike the language as spoken in this video then I find your opinion respectable.

Blossom
05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry for this one, but I dont like balkanic-slavic languages. Omg. I cant understand a shiiz and sounds so damn difficult and annoying and pretty agressive and sometimes even sad.

Loddfafner
05-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I have to agree about Dutch with its harsh, sputtering sounds. Russian is a close second. Its diphthongs make every utterance sound like a hostile, condescending sneer.

Turkophagos
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
German is the most barbaric one, even their love songs sound like military marches:

7MmdUNbwZlg

Greek, Finnish and Latin (as a whole) are the most attractive-sounding languages. The more vowels, the better.

Sikeliot
05-14-2011, 05:14 PM

You mean Brazilian Portuguese. It sounds like Portuguese spoken by someone stupid/slow.

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Danish, notoriously, sounds like vomiting.
I'm not fond of Slavic languages, too.
Dutch is harsh but funny, I wouldn't say it's the sweetest or the most elegant but I can't really say it's horrible. Same for Scots.
Corsican is probably the European language (or dialect) which I find subjectively ugliest. (Among those that I've heard, of course).

I disagree with my fellow Italians who dislike Sicilian. It's a noble language and it can be very, very attractive. Calabrese sounds like Sicilian with massive aspiration on every consonant, and I agree it's not as pretty. I don't love Neapolitan. But the ugliest dialects of Italy are generally those found on the Eastern coast (Romagnolo, Marchigiano, Abruzzese, Pugliese...).

Sikeliot
05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Corsican is probably the European language (or dialect) which I find subjectively ugliest. (Among those that I've heard, of course).

This surprises me. Corsican is the language outside of Italy that is the closest (at least lexically) to standard Italian. I've seen Corsican written and it looks pretty close when you compare them side by side.

Wanderlust
05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
While I absolutely adore my native language,I've been told by many who don't that they don't find it attractive-sounding at all.It's also probably one of the very few languages that you can't understand a word if you don't speak it.

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-14-2011, 05:44 PM
This surprises me. Corsican is the language outside of Italy that is the closest (at least lexically) to standard Italian. I've seen Corsican written and it looks pretty close when you compare them side by side.

Yes, it's the closest to standard Italian as it is more or less a dialect of Tuscan. But its pronunciation has some peculiarities that make it sound, uhm, debased, coarse and idle at the same time (not a very scientific or useful descriptions; I can't express it very well even in my own language, but it's a specific feeling. It almost sounds like Tuscan with a Southern Italian accent. Or so it does when I listen to it on the web; I've been to Corse, but heard mostly French from the locals).

Aces High
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Dutch.

It sounds like they are speaking English whilst drunk with a mouth full of marbles.

Sikeliot
05-14-2011, 05:55 PM
After thinking about it, I'm gonna go with Brazilian Portuguese for this even though it's not technically "European" but you get the point. The drawn out vowel sounds make the one speaking sound slow/retarded.

Comte Arnau
05-15-2011, 12:13 AM
While I absolutely adore my native language,I've been told by many who don't that they don't find it attractive-sounding at all.It's also probably one of the very few languages that you can't understand a word if you don't speak it.

Greek? Come on, if there's something every European language has got, that's words of Greek origin: photography, xenophobia, anthropology, alphabet, microscope, astronomy, pterodactyl, democracy, zoophilia, psychiatrist, hippopotamus... ;)

Magister Eckhart
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
I cannot believe that I am the only person who finds Yiddish to be the most annoying language spoken in Europe.

Peyrol
05-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Danish, notoriously, sounds like vomiting.
I'm not fond of Slavic languages, too.
Dutch is harsh but funny, I wouldn't say it's the sweetest or the most elegant but I can't really say it's horrible. Same for Scots.

I disagree with my fellow Italians who dislike Sicilian. It's a noble language and it can be very, very attractive. Calabrese sounds like Sicilian with massive aspiration on every consonant, and I agree it's not as pretty. I don't love Neapolitan. But the ugliest dialects of Italy are generally those found on the Eastern coast (Romagnolo, Marchigiano, Abruzzese, Pugliese...).

As a piemonteis with bergamask/venetian/roman background, i can say...sicilian sounds "strange".

askra
05-15-2011, 01:19 AM
southern sardinian language (Campidanese) sounds awful to my ears

Laubach
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Portuguese from Portugal is Horrible like American English

Rouxinol
05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
I dislike the sound of most of the Slavic languages.

Peyrol
05-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Wow, nobody criticize italian language!

Kosovo je Sjrbia
05-16-2011, 02:50 AM

Italian language sounds bad. :thumb001:

Dario Argento
05-16-2011, 05:39 AM

Hungarian is as close to Finnish as Czech is to Persian.

Comte Arnau
05-16-2011, 08:05 AM

It is not usual to do it, I agree. I've only known one person who disliked it. He used to say he liked studying 'hard-sounding' languages such as German or Basque instead of Italian and French, which he considered gay-sounding.

To me, the virtue and the defect of Italian lies on the very same thing: its clarity.

Peyrol
05-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Italian language sounds bad. :thumb001:

True. I prefer latin.

Talvi
05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
It is not usual to do it, I agree. I've only known one person who disliked it. He used to say he liked studying 'hard-sounding' languages such as German or Basque instead of Italian and French, which he considered gay-sounding.

To me, the virtue and the defect of Italian lies on the very same thing: its clarity.

Well now you can add another person to that small list of Italian-dislikers.

The only romance language I like is Romanian. Dont like any of the others at all.

Labeat
05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
You mean Brazilian Portuguese. It sounds like Portuguese spoken by someone stupid/slow.
After Spaniards condemning their copatriots here,!!! its Portuguese turn to condemn their language.!!!!

Rouxinol
05-16-2011, 11:37 AM
After Spaniards condemning their copatriots here,!!! its Portuguese turn to condemn their language.!!!!

I have nothing against it, but I understand that the accent of Brazilian Portuguese might turn to sound rather annoying to a Portuguese speaker because of its musicality - and they've got a heap of strange words in their lexicon which sound way too exotic to a Portuguese ear. I find it interesting that some European descended and law-abiding Brazilians who've come to live here even make the effort to speak with the Portuguese accent, but I think that might be related to the crime ridden immigrants we get here straight out of the Brazilian favelas, so they might want to distance themselves of those fellow countrymen of them.

alzo zero
05-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes, it's the closest to standard Italian as it is more or less a dialect of Tuscan. But its pronunciation has some peculiarities that make it sound, uhm, debased, coarse and idle at the same time (not a very scientific or useful descriptions; I can't express it very well even in my own language, but it's a specific feeling. It almost sounds like Tuscan with a Southern Italian accent. Or so it does when I listen to it on the web; I've been to Corse, but heard mostly French from the locals).
I know that technically Corsican is a Central Italian language/dialect but oddly it almost sounds like Sicilian to me with all those words ending in -u.

By the way, Romagnolo doesn't sound bad! :thumb001:

alzo zero
05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't dislike it but I think it's overrated. French sounds better in my opinion.

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-16-2011, 01:26 PM
By the way, Romagnolo doesn't sound bad! :thumb001:

"Lavoro in albérgo a Cérvia"... I can't stand all those closed e's! :)

(Bolognese is different...)

The Ripper
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I find many English dialects and particularly "Chavspeak" absolutely horrid.

I bet Wulfie sounds very unattractive.

Laubach
05-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Your teacher is totally wrong!!! Hungarian is a language!!!

I think she/he should study more

AntonyCapolongo
05-26-2011, 12:22 AM
French and German (barbarians and agressives languages)
Italian ("ma che? ma che?" ... it really irrite me)
Slavics languages

billErobreren
05-26-2011, 03:08 AM
German is one sexy language as are Dutch, Finnish, Spanish, Icelandic & Swedish to my ears, though I'm not to fond of French, Polish, Italian, Serbian *shivers* or Portuguese(sounds like French but gives me a headache quicker), I just can't put my finger on it, sorry but this is my case, so my winner is Serbian

Curtis24
05-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Dutch sounds like someone's choking...

Peyrol
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
...also magyar is very strange...

Albion
05-26-2011, 10:22 AM

I will - it's not bad but has an annoying theme to it.

I find many English dialects and particularly "Chavspeak" absolutely horrid.

I bet Wulfie sounds very unattractive.

Lol, Wulfie will probably speak Brummie English, it along with Scouse is famous for being two of the most shockingly awful dialects of English. :D
Chavspeak is bad, but some of the North East dialects, Cumbrian and South East English are quite good.

The Ripper
05-26-2011, 10:36 AM
There are many English dialects I find interesting and pleasing to hear, don't get me wrong. :) Irish accents are awesome. :D

As for other, less pleasing languages, Danish comes to mind. I can read written Danish, but I often fail to see the correlation between what is written and what is spoken. It is as if the Danes swallow half their syllables (sometimes seemingly choking on them). This is of course an age old theme in Scandinavia and the Nordic countries, the peculiarity of the Danish language. ;)

Rouxinol
05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Many people dislike this accent:

WCeC-Rx3SB0

Monolith
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't find Romance languages too appealing, especially Italian. The latter sounds like a verbal emotional outburst. :p

Terek
05-27-2011, 01:46 AM
I will need to say Dutch, sorry for that, it sounds like German spoken by a sick person( Also Catalan, I have heard once, does not sound beautiful at all.

The Lawspeaker
05-27-2011, 02:12 AM
Seeing some angel looking girl opening her mouth and start talking like the exorcist girl is always a weird experience for me
Well.. It depends on where she comes from. I love Brabantic, Limburgic and Flemish girls because of their accents ! :D

Magister Eckhart
05-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Well.. It depends on where she comes from. I love Brabantic, Limburgic and Flemish girls because of their accents ! :D

Frankly, I think German/Dutch accents are aesthetically pleasing in general. It's probably why I dislike Yiddish so much. Yiddish is in the very pit of Uncanny Valley for a German/Dutch speaker-- it is to Germanic languages what the Frankenstein monster is to human beings: built from butchered parts and given life by an unnatural process for less-than-kosher purposes.

Many people dislike this accent:

WCeC-Rx3SB0

I think it's more his voice than his accent that's the problem here. That's a fairly standard Southern Virginia accent on a squeaky, nasal voice.

Compare to the accent affected by Stephen Lang:

vva8zZ7LJ1o

He doesn't do a perfect job of faking it, but it makes my point I think.

Treffie
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM
This (http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/rhagor/dialect/caernarfon/) is a seriously ugly dialect. :D

Amapola
05-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I like Dutch :O

About italian, I dislike the intonation...
I hate Romanian, especially the intonation, again, which sounds agressive.
About Portuguese, I dislike the fast harsh SHH sound in coloquial speech, but I love the written form and especially in songs.
I dislike the nasality of Catalan.
French... hmm too GUGoGUOG; but nice in songs, especially by girls.
There are many intonations of Castilian I dislike too

But don't really dislike those languages, I just comment on them because they are quite familiar to me.

In general Romance languages are my favourite and Slavic and German languages the ones I find less appealing. Although I love English, and like Dutch. Even perhaps German to some extent.

alzo zero
05-29-2011, 02:41 PM
There are tens of Italian intonations, so I'm not sure to which one you guys are always referring to. Maybe the one in the micro-wave pizza commercials... :confused:

Kosovo je Sjrbia
05-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Americans and Indians who try to speak English.

Lucretius
05-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Spanish language it's not my favourite at all...

Svanhild
05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't like the sound of French, Polish/Slavic as a rule and Hungarian.

poiuytrewq0987
05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
For me it's Low German and Estonian.

MST3K
05-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Dutch and Swiss German.

The Ripper
05-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Dutch and Swiss German.

The two sound surprisingly similar.

The Lawspeaker
05-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Dutch and Swiss German.
I don't think that you've have ever heard real spoken Dutch before then. :)
Being a Texan you can't have heard it before so..

SYlBEbSwfJY

xPCKjxIl3x4

XIJWBVqJYFk

MST3K
05-31-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't think that you've have ever heard real spoken Dutch before then. :)
Being a Texan you can't have heard it before so..

SYlBEbSwfJY

xPCKjxIl3x4

XIJWBVqJYFk

Haha!! Real Dutch, I've been to the Netherlands "Utrecht" before. Must've been slang I heard. I really like that music video though:thumb001:

BTW, I happen to study and work in Texas. I wasn't born in the states.

The Lawspeaker
05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Haha. So where in Utrecht were you ? You weren't born in the States ?

MST3K
06-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I was in Oudegracht. I thought it was very nice, really pretty during summer.:thumb001: Yeah, I was born in Edinburgh. Spent the first 12 years of my life there until my Father was transfered to Texas...so, here I am.

The Lawspeaker
06-02-2011, 12:23 AM
I was in Oudegracht. I thought it was very nice, really pretty during summer.:thumb001: Yeah, I was born in Edinburgh. Spent the first 12 years of my life there until my Father was transfered to Texas...so, here I am.
Right. Oudegracht. I know the old canal very well as I am living just outside Utrecht. (in Amersfoort to be more precise). Well.. one thing about the central Netherlands and also the West: it is not so well known for using the most beautiful forms of the Dutch language. That honour goes to the South.

billErobreren
06-11-2011, 08:39 AM
This (http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/rhagor/dialect/caernarfon/) is a seriously ugly dialect. :D

Holy Crap you weren't kidding:eusa_doh:. Shit!:eek: that was awful. I now add...whatever the fuck I just heard Welsh dialect to my blacklist

Foxy
06-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Dutch! It sounds like a vomiting German.

Lithium
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I like the French but the other Romance languages sounds disgusting to me.

Eldritch
06-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Finnish sounds strange. German is a mighty fine language.

Finnish and German.

In that case you guys will love this:

gS5BrU0henM

Svipdag
06-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Dutch - It is MUCH too gutteral. :eek:

Pallantides
06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Finnish is a nice language ... I don't understand how people dislike it.

BeerBaron
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
By least attractive i'm gonna say the scottish accent, i can't imagine cute girls with a thick scottish accent.

esaima
06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, there are a few languages whose sound I don't consider beautiful but I think if I tell it I may somewhat hurt somebody. Every language seems the most beautiful to it's native speaker: Chinese thinks it's Chinese and Ket thinks it's Ket and etc.That's obvious.
But ok, if you want me to say something generally the beauty of other languages by bigger groups in Europe perhaps I'd say - 1. Romance ones 2. Slavic ones and 3. Germanic ones.

safinator
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
German

Heimmacht
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM

jpUksrXv-Ek :puppy_dp:

Pallantides
06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Every language seems the most beautiful to it's native speaker.

Not always, I think Icelandic sound much nicer than Norwegian.

Heimmacht
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM

I agree, its the cities where most tourist go to (Amsterdam, Rotterdam etc) where they're speaking like they are sounding like cappuccino-machines.
They 'G' around here in Brabant is pronounced much softer, very much softer.

Comte Arnau
07-12-2011, 12:21 AM
In which of the versions the girl sounds least attractive? :)

English?
I1jaOafGz3k

German?
TiNx-c-GgMo

Italian?
ZeD05JPnkSM

Portuguese?
Bicvksb2Wls

Spanish?
lWCEEgOed6E

Turkish?
c62-KoeRgRk

Amapola
07-12-2011, 12:24 AM
German, Turkish and Portuguese, not necessarily in that order.

Rouxinol
07-12-2011, 12:32 AM
She sounds least atractive in German and Turkish.

Comte Arnau
07-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Any guess about her real ethnicity, btw?

María G
07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
I think German only sound bad in the war films, but that is really because they are always the villans and always shouting I think.

For me the horriblest language are Portuguese (except when Brasilians speak it - then is beutifull!) and maybe Dutch.

Aces High
07-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Turkey isnt in Europe.

Bridie
07-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Out of interest, what does the Aussie accent sound like to you lads and lasses?

o2Nz31_5xwg

2t82-lgfAgg

Payens
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM

I would say that there exists a difference between the Dutch spoken in the Netherlands and Dutch spoken in Flanders.

Dutch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0bRUZZijY&feature=related)

Flemish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPbx0nhzT4A&feature=related)

Loki
07-16-2011, 11:17 AM
For me the horriblest language are Portuguese (except when Brasilians speak it - then is beutifull!) and maybe Dutch.

Really? I think Portuguese is a beautiful language.

María G
07-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Really? I think Portuguese is a beautiful language.

Yes! But only when Brasilians speak it - is veeeeeeery sweet and sexy, but in Poertugal it sound us luike just a lot of oosh oosh and no vowels at all. A very closed heavy accent too.

I can read portuguese quite no so dificult but for listen is very hard to understand and sound me bad to my ears. Sorry!

'brasileiro' cool!

El Palleter
07-16-2011, 11:35 AM
I think German only sound bad in the war films, but that is really because they are always the villans and always shouting I think.But it's arguably just in the films that they are the villains. ;)

For me the horriblest language are Portuguese (except when Brasilians speak it - then is beutifull!)Brazilians sound sickly.

The only time I've heard a spoken Portuguese that sounded nice was from a Galician woman who, as I was told, spoke it grammatically correct (as she's a lawyer working in Portugal) but made no efforts to reproduce the sounds that are characteristical to the Portuguese.

Catalan, as spoken in its eastern variance, sounds awful to my ears. The western variance changes completely.

María G
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
But it's arguably just in the films that they are the villains. ;)

Brazilians sound sickly.

The only time I've heard a spoken Portuguese that sounded nice was from a Galician woman who, as I was told, spoke it grammatically correct (as she's a lawyer working in Portugal) but made no efforts to reproduce the sounds that are characteristical to the Portuguese.

Catalan, as spoken in its eastern variance, sounds awful to my ears. The western variance changes completely.

Catalan sound owful to me. Valencian dialect is much more nicer. But maybe this is because my grandparenst and half of my cousins speak it in the home. Valencian is much softer for the ears. Galician is sweet too.

Neanderthal
07-16-2011, 01:25 PM
It has to be Finnish, it sounds like a lot of stuttering with a bunch of vocals and a very few consonants.

Dario Argento
07-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes! But only when Brasilians speak it - is veeeeeeery sweet and sexy, but in Poertugal it sound us luike just a lot of oosh oosh and no vowels at all. A very closed heavy accent too.

I can read portuguese quite no so dificult but for listen is very hard to understand and sound me bad to my ears. Sorry!

'brasileiro' cool!

Accent depends a lot in making a language uglier or prettier.

I think Argentine spanish sounds good, so does Mexican, some Peninsular variants (Northern ones basically), Peruvian, etc... But Chileans sound pretty ugly and so do Caribbean variants. Caribbean sounds agolologogo-wa, and Chilean, I'm not even going to describe but I'm going to say it sounds worse.

Loki
07-16-2011, 01:52 PM

I don't know ... it sounds classy and sexy to my ears.

SK9xPuZiN-4

Raikaswinþs
07-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I love them all. All but Flemish Dutch.

Dutch generally and Flemish Dutch specifically are languages I'm not very fond off, despite being very fond of the Netherlands and Flanders >O

Comte Arnau
07-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Catalan sound owful to me. Valencian dialect is much more nicer. But maybe this is because my grandparenst and half of my cousins speak it in the home. Valencian is much softer for the ears. Galician is sweet too.

Lol. The closer a language sounds like Castilian, the better for you. :laugh:

Ibericus
07-16-2011, 03:20 PM

I think Argentine spanish sounds good, so does Mexican, some Peninsular variants (Northern ones basically), Peruvian, etc... But Chileans sound pretty ugly and so do Caribbean variants. Caribbean sounds agolologogo-wa, and Chilean, I'm not even going to describe but I'm going to say it sounds worse.
Caribbean spanish sounds like they are high

María G
07-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Lol. The closer a language sounds like Castilian, the better for you. :laugh:

No. I can speak valencian not perfect, but I speak whit my grandparents in it sometimes. I just think it sound nicer than catalan.

I also like the sound of Finish, Greek, Serbian and languages of India and they dont sound so Spanish, no?;)

(And there are some very ugly accntes of castellano too - murciano for example....so I think you understood me wrongly)

Sikeliot
07-16-2011, 05:26 PM

They probably are :lol: ;)

Puerto Rican Spanish, when spoken by someone educated, isn't bad though. Dominican Spanish.. don't even get me started. ;)

El Palleter
07-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Lol. The closer a language sounds like Castilian, the better for you. :laugh:Idiocy aside, I speak Valencian as a home language and rather polished from "castilianisms", of which I'm critical by influence of my father. On an occasion, a [non political] Catalan academic, while talking to me, told me that some of the differences he was noticing sounded to him as more "pure" (he knew well the Valencian Classics, which Catalans call...well.."theirs"... fine).

But well, he wasn't a fanatic of anything..

Dario Argento
07-17-2011, 12:36 AM

Not really, more like if they have a banana stuffed in their throat. That sounds more accurate.

Riki
07-17-2011, 12:49 AM
German and Russian

Riki
07-17-2011, 12:53 AM
You Idiot.That`s Portuguese with Brazilian accent.

Riki
07-17-2011, 12:54 AM
sorry, that's the link

You Idiot.That s Portuguese with a Brazilian accent.

Logan
07-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Scots Gaelic, though I learned a bit of it, never sounded so nice but when spoken by a female.

Comte Arnau
07-17-2011, 01:36 AM
he knew well the Valencian Classics, which Catalans call...well.."theirs"... fine).

Catalan classics are Catalan classics, be them Valencian, Catalonian or Majorcan.

Just like masterpieces from Andalusian writers belong to the literatura castellana. Let's not mix churras with merinas.

Sicilianu101
07-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Sicilian.

Calabrian with Sicilian runner-up.

As a piemonteis with bergamask/venetian/roman background, i can say...sicilian sounds "strange".

Sicilian:
(In the 1st video, the 1st poetry recitation is in Sicilian, the 2nd in Italian)
VYQv1YYwKb8
PA6f3lj0NO0
AfQURzflK7o

Neapolitan:
wex0cGZoT5Y
vwxn_ZnUqbU

Milanese:
IzkqTtAduOA
khgAU2rrmBE

Veneto:
M9Kjhlq83ag
9DONuUuYiFM

Piemontese:
D2NJSPn4lYQ

Laudanum
07-18-2011, 12:56 AM
To me the least attractive language is German.

Sorry guys.:D

Sicilianu101
07-18-2011, 01:08 AM
I don't like how French, German, Russian, and Hungarian sound.
I also don't care very much for Dutch or English (although maybe English is the best sounding of the Germanic language family).

I don't know why people are saying Portuguese. Portuguese is a beautiful language. I also like Spanish, Greek, Italian, Central, Southern Italian & Sicilian languages. Although Neapolitan can be pretty harsh-sounding sometimes, it is good for singing.
Sicilian through the Sicilian School of Poetry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_school) (which used a Latinized version of the Sicilian language) was very influential for the Tuscan poets (such as Dante Alighieri) and so was an influence to the Italian language. Can Milanese and Venetians say this? :lol:
In my opinion Venetian which sometimes sounds a little Iberian is better sounding than Milanese which sounds like someone speaking Italian who can't pronounce the vowels at the end of words (which is one of the best features of Italian) and they pronounce their r's like the French..

BiałaZemsta
07-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Dutch and Finnish are the ugliest to my ears.

Moustache
07-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Dutch is the language spoken in Paradise.

Words by Johannes Goropius, also known as the man who ended the palatability of suicide bombing in the name of God for all time.

http://www.thuisinbrabant.nl/beeld/personen/_350/Brab%20bio%201_GOROPIUS_afb%20Groeningemuseum%20Br ugge.jpg

Comte Arnau
07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Nah, if there is a God, He can't allow languages with voiceless velar fricatives in Paradise. That sound belongs to Mordor. :laugh:

Absinthe
07-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Hm... now that's not a nice thing to say but I cannot get used to Slavic languages. Even heard some really nice Belarusian, Ukrainian, etc songs from time to time but the language just kills it for me (example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHDOHp1yZmo))... :(

Mercury
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
I hate how Russian sounds.

hajduk
07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Serbian and Russian are my favourites. My least favourite is Hungarian, although i like the people

Östsvensk
07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
I have always had a hatred for music in French. But when hearing languages being spoken, I don't really react on any European languages. The only ones I do are Somali and Semitic languages.

Pallantides
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I have always had a hatred for music in French.

But why...
:(

AFx-iOADIZk

Mordid
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
If no ones like Polish language, then fuck you.

Peerkons
07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Slavic languages and French for me.

Megrez
07-18-2011, 08:50 PM
French is the least attractive-sounding European language when spoken by a man and the most atractive one when spoken by a woman.

Weird, uh?

Wulfhere
07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
All foreign languages are fundamentally ugly because they involve someone, even an apparently intelligent Northern European, opening his mouth and coming out with a huge string of meaningless gibberish.

Dario Argento
07-19-2011, 02:50 AM
All foreign languages are fundamentally ugly because they involve someone, even an apparently intelligent Northern European, opening his mouth and coming out with a huge string of meaningless gibberish.

Hey fuck you nigger :thumb001: Your language is influenced a lot by that gibberish. You've just used a lot Latin words in your "gibberish". Language, fundamental, involve, apparent, intelligent, etc etc.

Comte Arnau
07-19-2011, 02:54 AM

Gibberish that an apparently intelligent person who could speak more than just his own language would be able to understand.

Gamera
07-19-2011, 04:32 AM

A perfect example of a high class Peruvian accent (Jaime Bayly), interviewing one of our local comedians playing Bachelet, this is how we make fun of Chilean accent here if you hear his imitation

6IP4sBUmj5Y

Wulfhere
07-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Hey fuck you nigger :thumb001: Your language is influenced a lot by that gibberish. You've just used a lot Latin words in your "gibberish". Language, fundamental, involve, apparent, intelligent, etc etc.

I never said anything about Romance languages. Indeed, I made a point of including Northern European languages too. They all sound like gibberish because they are unintelligible.

Inese
07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Portuguese sounds most crazy like logorhoe, then Romanian, Russian, Spanish and Polish --- in the this order.

Treffie
07-20-2011, 06:13 PM
I never said anything about Romance languages. Indeed, I made a point of including Northern European languages too. They all sound like gibberish because they are unintelligible.

Spoken like a true retard

Ouistreham
07-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Portuguese sounds most crazy like logorhoe

Which Portuguese?

Portugal's Portuguese is an absolutely obscure language that sounds eerily Slavic. I always confuse it with Polish. How did they manage to create a language so extravagantly different phonetically from their Castillian cousins is mindbogglingi

On the other hand Brazilian Portuguese allows me to guess a few words. It sounds rather like dead drunken Italian.

Comte Arnau
07-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Portugal's Portuguese is an absolutely obscure language that sounds eerily Slavic. I always confuse it with Polish. How did they manage to create a language so extravagantly different phonetically from their Castillian cousins is mindbogglingi

You, the French, had something to do with that. They copied your r, for instance. :laugh:

Don
07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes! But only (is nice) when Brasilians speak it - is veeeeeeery sweet and sexy, but in Poertugal it sound us luike just a lot of oosh oosh and no vowels at all. A very closed heavy accent too.
'brasileiro' cool!

http://www.mfsec.com.ar/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/facepalm21.jpg

Least attractive-sounding European language?
Among those spoken in Europe:

French.

Makes me sick.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-M-To0GbICLg/TdAwl0vVHzI/AAAAAAAAAII/14khhLDOa0Y/s1600/pelos-de-punta.jpg

Dario Argento
07-21-2011, 08:45 PM
You, the French, had something to do with that. They copied your r, for instance. :laugh:

Portuguese R' doesn't sound French. Not the accent spoken in Porto, at least.

Comte Arnau
07-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Portuguese R' doesn't sound French. Not the accent spoken in Porto, at least.

Old Portuguese had the same distinction of simple and double r typical of the Romance languages (Spanish, Catalan, Italian... which distinguish a flap from a trill). But in modern times upper classes in Lisbon copied the French way and changed the trill for a fricative uvular. It's not exactly as the French one, but very close.

Obviously the sound exists in the contexts where there was a trill (rr sound). The flap is still a flap, it's not as if every r in Portuguese sounds à la French.

I know there are still some areas in Portugal that keep the trill, but as far as I know, they're not regarded as standard.

Dario Argento
07-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Old Portuguese had the same distinction of simple and double r typical of the Romance languages (Spanish, Catalan, Italian... which distinguish a flap from a trill). But in modern times upper classes in Lisbon copied the French way and changed the trill for a fricative uvular. It's not exactly as the French one, but very close.

Obviously the sound exists in the contexts where there was a trill (rr sound). The flap is still a flap, it's not as if every r in Portuguese sounds à la French.

I know there are still some areas in Portugal that keep the trill, but as far as I know, they're not regarded as standard.

NVM. I can't find a good example of it at the moment.

morski
09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Sicilianu101, the first video is sooo good!

Damião de Góis
09-07-2011, 10:10 PM

German, Turkish and Portuguese, not necessarily in that order.

Don't worry folks... the feeling of most people here is pretty much mutual regarding your languages :thumb001:

Damião de Góis
09-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Interesting post but it got me curious. Where did you read about Lisbon people copying the french R? Because i never heard about it, but you may very well be right.
Also, i say the R kind of in that way. It probably sounds more like a J in spanish. And basically my R and RR sound the same but.... i'm not from Lisbon and neither are my parents or my grandparents. How do you explain that? :p

heyaitsme
09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
French is the least attractive-sounding European language when spoken by a man and the most atractive one when spoken by a woman.

Weird, uh?

It's not weird :P I think that Spanish is the least attractive when a woman speaks but attractive when a guy speaks. When a girl speaks Spanish it kindof sounds like a chicken to me. Idk it's just ugly when a girl speaks.

Also Dutch is a really ugly language after seeing some of these videos

Peyrol
09-10-2011, 11:05 AM
In don't know why, but i understand better portuguese from southern Brazil than portuguese from Portugal.

AntonyCapolongo
09-10-2011, 12:22 PM
In don't know why, but i understand better portuguese from southern Brazil than portuguese from Portugal.

Maybe because of the Italics influences ? (like the Argentinian Castillan)

Mordid
09-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Seriously, what is wrong with Slavic language?:(

Peyrol
09-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Mhhh probabily for this reason.

Most easy castillian for me me is rioplatense from Uruguay and Argentina.
Chile spanish sounds instead very ugly.

(Catalan, instead, is the easiest foreign languages for me).

Foxy
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Seriously, what is wrong with Slavic language?:(

To me they sound this way:

"Tschusala shaluchka yatchulshka" :D Which slavic language have I in mind?

beaver
09-10-2011, 03:58 PM
To me they sound this way:

"Tschusala shaluchka yatchulshka" Which slavic language have I in mind?
:D Polish, there are many fizzles - "pshe", "she" and so on. All other things (sounding), are more or less common with other Slavic.

Mordid
09-10-2011, 04:01 PM
:D Polish, there are many fizzles - "pshe", "she" and so on. All other things (sounding), are more or less common with other Slavic.

Russian sounds like soft Polish.

Damião de Góis
09-10-2011, 04:06 PM

It's simple, they talk slower and open their vowels like you do in Italy.

Peyrol
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
The most spoken slavic languages in Italy (by the immigrants) are russian, ukrainian, slovenian and croatian.

Honestly, i can't differentiate ukrainian from russian or croatian from slovenian...

Foxy
09-10-2011, 04:19 PM
The most spoken slavic languages in Italy (by the immigrants) are russian, ukrainian, slovenian and croatian.

Honestly, i can't differentiate ukrainian from russian or croatian from slovenian...

And Polish. Where I live there are far more Poles that Slovenjans. Most slavs are Polish or Ukrainians and some Russians.

Peyrol
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
And Polish. Where I live there are far more Poles that Slovenjans. Most slavs are Polish or Ukrainians and some Russians.

Of course, i forgot polish.

Polish in my city are about 12,000.

Lithium
09-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't like the Romance languages except makes only the French. And I love the Slavic languages, my favorite after the Bulgarian is Polish. Interesting how I understand all Slavic languages almost completely :D

Damião de Góis
09-10-2011, 04:29 PM

I don't think brazilian has any italic influence anymore than portuguese from Portugal has.

Mordid
09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
wJZzQJOuWJo

Foxy
09-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Of course, i forgot polish.

Polish in my city are about 12,000.

:eek::eek::eek:
Trib, I have just read on wiki that you also have 51.000 Romanians in Turin and 19.000 Moroccans!!! :eek:

Fra Baldracco
09-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Trib, I have just read on wiki that you also have 51.000 Romanians in Turin and 19.000 Moroccans!!! :eek:

Italian women like moroccans and north africans in general.:laugh:

just look the statistics about that

Treffie
09-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Fireman Sam (Sam Tân) in the original language it was made :p

daYGqT4oXgI

Peyrol
09-10-2011, 04:38 PM

These were the 2009 "numbers". :laugh:

Now they're (from the 1st of June census)

69,000 romanians (always increasing number)
45,000 moroccans (like the precedent numbers, always increasing)

Foxy
09-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Italian women like moroccans and north africans in general.:laugh:

just look the statistics about that

I don't. Better Ukrainians. :P

AntonyCapolongo
09-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Mhhh probabily for this reason.

Most easy castillian for me me is rioplatense from Uruguay and Argentina.
Chile spanish sounds instead very ugly.

(Catalan, instead, is the easiest foreign languages for me).

Yeah, you know, there is also a Venetian dialect, spoked in Brasil. The majority of Italians who have emigrated to Brasil are Venetians, I guess, there is also a lot of Venetians in Marseilles (I have some Venetian ancestry).

I think Provençal and Nissart are also very close to Italian, a lot of our words come from Tuscan, Corsican, Piemontese, Napolitan, Sicilian, Ligurian and Venetian, and Nissard is a sort of Italianised Provençal.

Fra Baldracco
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't. Better Ukrainians. :P

http://02varvara.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/ukrainian-yushchenko-dioxin11dec04.jpg

BiałaZemsta
09-10-2011, 05:16 PM
http://02varvara.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/ukrainian-yushchenko-dioxin11dec04.jpg
The Ukrainian that I post is more average.

Peyrol
09-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, you know, there is also a Venetian dialect, spoked in Brasil. The majority of Italians who have emigrated to Brasil are Venetians, I guess, there is also a lot of Venetians in Marseilles (I have some Venetian ancestry).

I think Provençal and Nissart are also very close to Italian, a lot of our words come from Tuscan, Corsican, Piemontese, Napolitan, Sicilian, Ligurian and Venetian, and Nissard is a sort of Italianised Provençal.

If you want hear a spoken piemonteis (from my region), watch these

3UI-ImLwlnA

2dQRl58x9Lo

Black Sun Dimension
09-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Least: german and french
Most: spanish and english

I must add that in latin-america, the least attractive spanish accent is mexican and chilean. Caribbean sounds funny, specially cuban, venezuelan is very neutral for the most part; argentinian sounds cute when spoken by women, sounds like shit when spoken by men.

AntonyCapolongo
09-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Aaah, excellent, thanks for theses videos! It's the first time I hear a long thing about Piemontese, and I think that it's look like a lot Provençal : for exemple, the word "Moussu", is also used in Provençal, and the accent look like a lot our! Study Gallo-Italics languages (or Italics and Italians languages in general) is very hard I think, because there is not a lot of documents in French, there is some books about Corsican, and a lot about Tuscan/Standart Italian, but books about any Gallo-Italic/Venetians languages, about Furlan (who is Rheto-Roman) or about Napolitan, Sicilian or Sard doesn't exist at all in French territories... :/

Han Cholo
09-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Least: german and french
Most: spanish and english

I must add that in latin-america, the least attractive spanish accent is mexican and chilean. Caribbean sounds funny, specially cuban, venezuelan is very neutral for the most part; argentinian sounds cute when spoken by women, sounds like shit when spoken by men.

Only to other Venezuelans and maybe Colombians.

Turkey
09-10-2011, 10:26 PM
french. clearly orc-speech

Sicilianu101
09-10-2011, 11:46 PM

3UI-ImLwlnA

I just watched a small part of the clip.. What is he talking about?

All I heard was Francaise, Terrun, Comunista.. :lol: & then I stopped watching it.

Kataphraktoi
09-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Welsh, it sounds like spitting.
Spanish, sounds like someone talking with a lisp.

Peyrol
09-11-2011, 12:54 AM
I just watched a small part of the clip.. What is he talking about?

All I heard was Francaise, Terrun, Comunista.. :lol: & then I stopped watching it.

It's a funny parody of the speech of Sgt. Hartman from FMJ :D

AntonyCapolongo
09-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Spanish, sounds like someone talking with a lisp.

You probably prefer Yiddish

beaver
09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
It also depends on who speaks a language. For example, the English of young American girls sounds like croaking (low-pitch tone). At the same time, the English of my acquaintance from Chattanooga (she is about 55 now, I've already mentioned the family in the other thread) is charming and melodious, nothing to do with this croaking.

Treffie
09-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Welsh is phonemed spitting. We do it for a reason :D

Lemon Kush
01-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Dutch and Danish too many choking and vomiting sounds.

malejj
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM

I speak it and I have to agree :rolleyes:

Maleficent
01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
They are all equally beautiful.

bella1407
01-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Dutch language :(:(:(

ckDEIBJrugk

Maleficent
01-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Only to other Venezuelans and maybe Colombians.

I see you even troll your fellow Latin Americans.

Äike
01-13-2013, 02:41 AM
Danish, Dutch, Latvian, Russian, Portuguese

American_Hispanist
01-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Dutch.

Styggnacke
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
All non-Germanic languages.

sammymcgoff
01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Dutch, definitely

Petersburg
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Dutch and Estonian

sevruk
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
German

Mistel
01-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Welsh, but it depends on the accent of the speaker (I think it's the southern varieties that I really don't like, whereas northern speakers actually sound beautiful, on a par with Gaelic).

Atlantic Islander
01-15-2013, 11:42 PM
German.

superhorn
01-17-2013, 12:37 AM
German can sound unpleasant to some people, but it depends on the dialect, or the region of Germany . Austrian German sounds very different. It's soft and lilting, very pleasing to my ear at least .
The uvular r's of northern Germany sound a bit annoying to me,though .
Southern Germans tend to pronounce it more like the Castillian rolled r .
Adolf Hitler always rolled his rs the southern German way, as you can hear in his speeches . He was an Austrian, though .

special
12-01-2014, 12:41 PM
geordie, scottish english, german, gaelic languages..basically all expect Italian and French

kkk77
12-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I don't usually dislike languages.

Some may sound weird at first, some may be annoying sometimes, and sometimes beautiful.

After thinking about it, I'm gonna go with Brazilian Portuguese for this even though it's not technically "European" but you get the point. The drawn out vowel sounds make the one speaking sound slow/retarded.
It's funny because many people prefer Brazilian Portuguese because it sounds more musical, while European Portuguese is more monotonic.

I think they're both sound monotonic. (General American and Standard European Portuguese)
Brazilian Portuguese and British English are the opposite.

I don't know ... it sounds classy and sexy to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLdgTylbcQM
That video made me laugh hard. I'm wondering if you know what the man in the phone said.

It was very rude.

I'll transcribe it and leave the translation to you. :p

@0:21 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLdgTylbcQM&t=21)
Boa tarde
Minha senhora muito boa tarde
Não sei se me está a ouvir bem?
Sim sim, ouço muito bem.
Sim, melhor, em primeiro lugar quero enviar saudações à senhora
Eu sou um espectador assíduo do vosso excelente programa
E era para dizer que a senhora, que é boa como o milho, se eu posso bater uma punheta enquanto a senhora fala ao telefone? Não sei se é possível? Bater uma punheta e a senhora falar ao telefone?
Bom parece que este é um programa em directo, onde as opiniões dos telespectadores são válidos, não é o caso deste telespectador, vamos seguir em frente, ouvir opiniões um pouco mais construtivas...

Which Portuguese?

On the other hand Brazilian Portuguese allows me to guess a few words. It sounds rather like dead drunken Italian.
No pwn intended, but you are French and you are talking about obscurity in language... :p
It drives me crazy how French pronounce so many words with only one syllable and sometimes only one vowel!
You change vowel pronunciation and drop a lot of consonants.
At least in Portuguese most consonants are untouched, witch to me isn't really a big problem since many timz vowels arn't rlly ncssary. :P

In which of the versions the girl sounds least attractive? :)

English?
I1jaOafGz3k

German?
TiNx-c-GgMo

Italian?
ZeD05JPnkSM

Portuguese?
Bicvksb2Wls

Spanish?
lWCEEgOed6E

Turkish?
c62-KoeRgRk
To me it's easier to make the opposite question. :p

English - lovely
Portuguese - it's my mother tongue, sounds fine
Italian - it's ok, Italian is one of those languages in which I don't find anything weird about it
Spanish - the video doesn't work any more, but generally Spanish is much like Italian. I usually prefer Spanish since it's more understandable to me
German and Turkish - I don't understand anything, I won't say they're ugly, they just don't have any meaning to me. Turkish sounds even weirder since I don't usually hear it.

Sikeliot
12-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Turkish to me sounds like an East Asian language, like Japanese or something.

Porpolita
12-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't like the sound of French or Dutch.

My favourites to listen to are Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan, Russian, Greek, Welsh, Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

KawaiiKawaii
12-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Portuguese and Swiss German dialects. They're just horrible to listen to, both in their own, disgusting way. Maybe Dutch and Albanian too.

As for French accents, south French accents are terrible, so is the accent of Vaud. When I hear the accent of Marseilles, I imagine wankers. When I hear the Vaudois accent, I imagine low IQ people.

Arthur Scharrenhans
12-01-2014, 11:01 PM
No pwn intended, but you are French and you are talking about obscurity in language... :p
It drives me crazy how French pronounce so many words with only one syllable and sometimes only one vowel!
You change vowel pronunciation and drop a lot of consonants.
At least in Portuguese most consonants are untouched, witch to me isn't really a big problem since many timz vowels arn't rlly ncssary. :P

You're right, but as an Italian speaker who doesn't properly speak neither French nor Portuguese, I do find the phonetic reductions of European Portuguese more puzzling than the French ones. I think it's possibly a matter of synchrony vs diachrony: true, historically French has dropped a lot of vowels and consonants, but what are left today are more or less clearly enunciated. Of course I refer to phonemes, not graphemes: French orthography, like the English one, is notoriously so conservative that one doesn't even expect it to match the current pronunciation at all; it is generally known that it reflects a centuries-old state of things.

(Euro) Portuguese, OTOH, shows a more synchronic kind of reduction, where sounds that in principle are there at the phonemic level (and in fact are pronounced in Brazilian Portuguese) get all horribly slurred together or semi-devoiced, confusing the listener who's anticipating a three-syllable word and hears a monosyllabic one instead. Plus, the written form of words is generally similar to Spanish, and one expects to hear it pronounced more or less alike; thus, the distance between orthography and pronunciation is more shocking because it isn't expected as in French.

Eventhorizon
12-02-2014, 04:14 AM
I don't believe that you can judge a language solely on the sound of it , but
I have heard all the European Languages before so here is my opinion :
French - The most overrated language , it just doesn't sound interesting to me
Dutch - Really harsh and weird sounding
German - Something about it is a little engrossing and attractive in my opinion
Italian - Very musical
Spanish - Musical and fast , for some reason I always feel like they talk way too fast
Danish - mumbly and they have a tendency to run their words together more than everyone else , like American English x 10
Swedish and Norwegian - Very beautiful , and there is a sing songy attribute to them , the intonation is just charming
Icelandic - Exotic , sounds like an ancient language , Vikingy - I like it but its super hard to learn

:)

Eventhorizon
12-02-2014, 04:23 AM

lol , my sentiments exactly

Eventhorizon
12-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Out of interest, what does the Aussie accent sound like to you lads and lasses?

o2Nz31_5xwg

2t82-lgfAgg

Its a very sexy accent , but there are things that they say that sound weird to my ears
like the way they pronounce "here" and "Line" , "nice" ...etc
all in all , I think its absolutely cool :thumb001:

Gustave H
12-02-2014, 04:37 AM
Many people just adore the French language but I really can't stand it. No offense to the French, but yeah it sounds fucking horrible to me.

Kamal900
12-02-2014, 04:45 AM
Many people just adore the French language but I really can't stand it. No offense to the French, but yeah it sounds fucking horrible to me.

I find the french language to be a bit annoying for me, while i find Greek(cute language), Russian(badass), Italian, German and Spanish as best european languages to me.

Velislav Uhrobij
12-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, French

DRUM
12-02-2014, 05:35 AM
I really can't find any language in Europe ugly, but the funniest is Finnish :P

Hithaeglir
12-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Russian.

Eventhorizon
12-02-2014, 06:48 AM
For me Finnish sounds more weird than ugly

cocoNN
12-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Hungarian.
Portuguese.

aimar
12-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Ugliest: Dutch
2nd ugliest: German

Panormus
12-02-2014, 03:56 PM
German

Kazimiera
12-02-2014, 04:01 PM
I'll go with Dutch and Swiss German.

French is annoying.

Seraph of the End
12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
None of them sounds bad, but my least favourite are Dutch and Spanish.

Thrax
12-19-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't like the way dutch sounds, but I like it as a language.
I also don't like the sound of the west slavic languages, though I recognize their complexity.
Swiss German is also a bit weird.