PDA

View Full Version : Why are Balts romanticized more than Slavs?

Peterski
01-11-2019, 11:54 PM
For instance Baltic Pagans (Old Prussians) are more romanticized than Slavic Pagans (Polabian Slavs), and Latvians/Lithuanians more than Poles.

What are the reasons?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:00 AM
For comparison, to give a "western analogy", Celts and Norsemen/Vikings are about equally romanticized, I would say.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
01-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Baltic people are probably the most obscure ethnic group in Europe, very few people are familiar with their history or culture in comparison to other ethnic groups so I don't get your point.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Baltic people are probably the most obscure ethnic group in Europe, very few people are familiar with their history or culture in comparison to other ethnic groups so I don't get your point.

Huh, really? I wasn't aware of this.

01-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Huh, really? I wasn't aware of this.

You weren't aware because you are Polish and you share a common history with Lithuanians to a certain extent, so you're more familiar but if you are not from a neighbouring country of the Baltic the average European will know nothing whatsoever about Lithuania, Latvia or Estonia.

Livin
01-12-2019, 12:15 AM
i dont understand nothing

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:25 AM
You weren't aware because you are Polish and you share a common history with Lithuanians to a certain extent, so you're more familiar but if you are not from a neighbouring country of the Baltic the average European will know nothing whatsoever about Lithuania, Latvia or Estonia.

I thought that the Lithuanians/Latvians were seen as "the Irish/Scottish of the East", something like that.

Why are people familiar with Irish history and culture? There is no reason for Ireland not to be as obscure as Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia.

01-12-2019, 12:30 AM
I thought that the Lithuanians/Latvians were seen as "the Irish/Scottish of the East", something like that.

Perhaps on anthrotard boards realm. In real life no one thinks of Lithuania or Latvia in such terms because the average person doesn't even have a general idea or basic knowledge about those nations. Majority of people don't even know that Baltic states have their own ethic group, they think they are Slavic as well. They are very interesting nations but by far the most obscure in Europe. It is probably the European region that receives the least tourists annually so that says a lot, people don't tend to remember or consider them.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 12:32 AM
An emancipation from Slavic influence maybe?

Peterski
Perhaps on anthrotard boards realm. In real life no one thinks of Lithuania or Latvia in such terms because the average person doesn't even have a general idea or basic knowledge about those nations. Majority of people don't even know that Baltic states have their own ethic group, they think they are Slavic as well. They are very interesting nations but by far the most obscure in Europe. It is probably the European region that receives the least tourists annually so that says a lot, people don't tend to remember or consider them.

Okay, so noone thinks about them. Well, that still means that they are more romanticized.

Not thinking about someone is more romantic than thinking about Squatting Slavs memes.

I cannot find Squatting Balts meme for example (auto-correct changes it to Squatting Belts).

oszkar07
For instance Baltic Pagans (Old Prussians) are more romanticized than Slavic Pagans (Polabian Slavs), and Latvians/Lithuanians more than Poles.

What are the reasons?

I think their is a romanticism sentiment about Prussians, maybe its given more attention in historical context because they seemingly dissapeared.

Circassians seem to be romanticised more than any other ethnicity of the Caucasus.

01-12-2019, 12:34 AM
Okay, so noone thinks about them. Well, that still means that they are more romanticized.

Not thinking about someone is more romantic than thinking about Squatting Slavs memes.

I cannot find Squatting Balts meme for example (auto-correct changes it to Squatting Belts).

Why would people target a group that they don't even recall that exists most of the time?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:39 AM
I think their is a romanticism sentiment about Prussians, maybe its given more attention in historical context because they seemingly dissapeared.

Circassians seem to be romanticised more than any other ethnicity of the Caucasus.

Polabian Slavs also dissapeared. Before you mention Sorbs - they are not exactly Polabian Slavs "Proper", but a related branch.

Obodrites, Lutici, Veleti were Polabian Slavs "Proper". Sorbs are lumped together with them only due to geographical proximity.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:44 AM
An emancipation from Slavic influence maybe?

And from Baltic German influence too especially in case of Latvians and Estonians (Estonians are Finnic BTW).

But Slavs were also emancipated from foreign influences. Go back to the 19th century and Russians were the only independent Slavic nation.

All other Slavic nations except Russia were under foreign influences during the 18th and 19th centuries.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 12:48 AM
And from Baltic German influence too, in case of Latvians and Estonians (Estonians are Finnic BTW).

But Slavs were also emancipated from foreign influences. Go back to the 19th century and Russians were the only independent Slavic nation.

All other Slavic nations except Russia were under foreign influences during the 18th-19th centuries.

Obviously, but the demographic pressure may have pushed them to do so.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:49 AM
Obviously, but the demographic pressure may have pushed them to do so.

The same applies to many Slavic nations, no difference.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 12:51 AM
The same applies to many Slavic nations, no difference.

What is your theory?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:51 AM
What is your theory?

My theory about what? About answers to my question?

Phenix
01-12-2019, 12:52 AM
My theory about what? About answers to my question?

Yes, the biggest probability in your opinion.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:54 AM
Yes, the biggest probability in your opinion.

I don't know, maybe Slavs are associated with Communism in the context of the Cold War.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 12:58 AM
I don't know, maybe Slavs are associated with Communism in the context of the Cold War.

So it's a political emancipation and dissociating themselves recently from bigger neighbors, just as I mentioned before, so why did you opposed that?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:00 AM
So it's a political emancipation and dissociating themselves recently from bigger neighbors, just as I mentioned before, so why did you opposed that?

Because Slavs (at least Non-Russians) also resisted Communism, so I'm not sure why is Communism linked to them.

Most of high-ranking Communist officials were not even Slavic, for example Stalin was Georgian, many were Jewish.

East Germans were some of the most enthusiastic Communists in the Eastern Bloc (Poles were much less conformist).

Angela Merkel was an ardent Communist activist in East Germany before 1990.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:05 AM
Because Slavs (at least Non-Russians) also resisted Communism, so I'm not sure why is Communism linked to them.

Most of high-ranking Communist officials were not even Slavic, for example Stalin was Georgian, many were Jewish.

East Germans were some of the most enthusiastic Communists in the Eastern Bloc (Poles were much less conformist).

And you keep stating obvious things, things like political cultural differentiation and diplomatic chessboards don't have many logical explanations through out history, it deals with meta-political conception and affinity.
Basically you say Baltic nations were the OWD of Eastern Europe, then decided to turn full western to gain stability and wealth.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:06 AM

After World War 1 most of Latvians (and many Estonians too, but in this case a minority) were Pro-Communist, as you can learn from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBA0xDHZjko

Creoda
01-12-2019, 01:06 AM
I don't know what your definition of romance is, but like others have said, most people know next to nothing about Baltic countries or people, and often confuse them with the Balkans. They've had no influence on Western culture.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:12 AM
After World War 1 most of Latvians (and many Estonians too, but in this case a minority) were Pro-Communist, as you can learn from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBA0xDHZjko

Half of the world was pro-commie, that time is gone, now even Ukrainians want to have their distance with mother Russia.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:13 AM
Half of the world was pro-commie, that time is gone, now even Ukrainians want to have their distance with mother Russia.

Russia is not Communist today anymore. Modern Sweden or Germany are far closer to being totalitarian leftist regimes, than modern Russia.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:17 AM
Russia is not Communist today anymore. Modern Sweden or Germany are far closer to being totalitarian leftist regimes, than modern Russia.

They are about the same, just a a different color.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:18 AM
They are about the same, just a a different color.

Why do you think so?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:23 AM
Well Ukraine is much worse than Russia. And they really have extremists, it is not just Russian propaganda.

The West supporting current Ukrainian regime is the same kind of mistake as mistakes they made n Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, etc. since 2001.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:25 AM
Why do you think so?

Russian regime is a globalist in service of international oligarchy (like pseudo-nationalist vague we're seeing all over the west), it's the other side of the globalist coin, it's always good to propose a fake loophole for despaired people, it calms their revolutionist ardors and guarantee the success of scheme.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:27 AM
Russian regime is a globalist in service of international oligarchy (like pseudo-nationalist vague we're seeing all over the west), it's the other side of the globalist coin, it's always good to propose a fake loophole for despaired people, it calms their revolutionist ardors and guarantee the success of scheme.

Why do you make association Slavs = Russia if ethnic Russians are less than half of all Slavic people in the world, and just one of many Slavic countries?

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:30 AM
Why do you make association Slavs = Russia if ethnic Russians are less than half of all Slavic people in the world, and just one of many Slavic countries?

You changed the subject quickly.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:32 AM
You changed the subject quickly.

Because you basically said that people dislike Russia for similar reasons they dislike the USA or China. Okay.

However, disliking the USA is not associated with disliking ethno-linguistic groups which compose its society.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Because you basically said that people dislike Russia for the same reasons they dislike the USA or China. Okay.

However, disliking the USA is not associated with disliking ethno-linguistic groups which compose its society.

Because Russia didn't prove itself as a stable economic power capable of sustaining its population and allies as the USA does.
Plus, many people hate WASP Americans, and would push the button that would erase them from earth with no remorse.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:38 AM
many people hate WASP Americans, and would push the button that would erase them from earth with no remorse.

But they don't think the same about their "cousins" in Canada, Australia, England, Scotland, Ulster, Germany, etc.

Phenix
01-12-2019, 01:43 AM
But they don't think the same about their "cousins" in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Germany, etc.

Celtic countries are the opposite of USA, they are isolationist and deeply rooted nations, Germany was for a long time the enemy of Anglos and held different vision of the world, while England you can say is equally hated as USA.

PS: I'm tired it's almost 4 a.m. we'll continue this discussion later.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:47 AM
Germany was for a long time the enemy of Anglos and held different vision of the world

No, it was also the other side of the globalist coin, not a different vision of the world.

Or if you think they held different vision of the world, then please elaborate: what vision? Germany was butthurt that it did not have as many colonies as England and France. It does not mean that Germany held a different vision of the world - they held the same vision but wanted to replace Anglos as the leading power.

PS: I'm tired it's almost 4 a.m. we'll continue this discussion later.

Okay.

tipirneni
01-12-2019, 01:57 AM
https://rlv.zcache.com/state_of_teutonic_knights_1260_to_1410_poster-rfdcc6d94ecbb40faa23f2b494b9b832d_i6v_8byvr_540.jp g

Teutonic order romanticized

Peterski
01-12-2019, 02:01 AM
Teutonic order romanticized

Baltic resistance to Teutonic Order is romanticized too, in popular culture. And more so than Polabian Slavic resistance to crusaders.

There are western books that give enough credit to Polabian Slavs, such as this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1SAKZncbiL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mcmkCv1.png

But generally this part of history is even more forgotten than Baltic history.

Mingle
01-12-2019, 02:04 AM
Due to their geographic location and small population, they're seen as more exotic and obscure compared to Slavs, who are the largest meta-ethnicity in Europe.

Also, since gaining independence, nothing really happened there. They're never in the news for anything. It's just 2-3 tiny countries somewhere in Eastern Europe. They have also a weak participation rate online so there isn't much exposure to them. There isn't a single active Baltic user at the moment for example (though there is a Latvian user that posts every once in a while).

Why are people familiar with Irish history and culture? There is no reason for Ireland not to be as obscure as Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia.

Ireland is a familiar country due to all countries in the Anglosphere having significant Irish or Irish-descended populations. It's not even comparable.

The "Squatting Slav" meme is based off gopnik Russians/East Slavs. It's called "Squatting Slavs" instead of "Squatting Russians" cause it rhymes. Also, non-Russian Slavs adopted/promoted it as well for whatever reason I don't know. But either way, memes are obviously gonna be more likely to grow around groups with large populations. How many internet memes exist surrounding Guinea or Tanzania? This should be pretty obvious to you mate.

Most people outside Northeast Europe/Baltic Sea region don't really know the Balts even exist, let alone romanticize them. However, those that do stumble upon them are probably a bit fascinated since they have next to interaction with Balts.

Mingle
01-12-2019, 02:06 AM
Baltic resistance to Teutonic Order is romanticized too, in popular culture. And more so than Polabian Slavic resistance to crusaders.

There are western books that give enough credit to Polabian Slavs, such as this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1SAKZncbiL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mcmkCv1.png

But generally this part of history is even more forgotten than Baltic history.

Balts were the last Europeans to convert to Christianity, so that's probably why. Also, much of it happened in their lands. That's why another name for it is the "Baltic Crusades".

oszkar07
01-12-2019, 02:07 AM
Polabian Slavs also dissapeared. Before you mention Sorbs - they are not exactly Polabian Slavs "Proper", but a related branch.

Obodrites, Lutici, Veleti were Polabian Slavs "Proper". Sorbs are lumped together with them only due to geographical proximity.

Yes, but I think in the context of popular history Prussians have been given more attention or at least in general people are more aware of them than the Polabian Slavs . The Prussian empire etc .

Sikeliot
01-12-2019, 02:12 AM
I would imagine most people assume Lithuanians and Latvians, if not Estonians also (who are Finnic, not Baltic) are Slavs themselves.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 02:13 AM
The "Squatting Slav" meme is based off gopnik Russians/East Slavs.

I know it targets mostly Russians but this modern Anti-Russian propaganda resembles a lot WW2-era dehumanizing propaganda:

Anti-Japanese:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514CgYh4ARL.jpg

Anti-Jewish:

https://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1493880682734.jpg

Peterski
01-12-2019, 02:16 AM
The Prussian empire etc .

It was actually founded by Brandenburgian Hohenzollerns (despite being called Prussia), and Brandenburg is former Polabian Slavic territory, so...

Duchy of Prussia was incorporated into Brandenburg (not the other way around).

It was renamed Prussia only because rulers of Brandenburg could not be titled kings (since Brandenburg was part of the HRE and Prussia wasn't).

Peterski
01-12-2019, 02:19 AM
Berlin was the capital of the Kingdom of Prussia, and Berlin is in Brandenburg.

That Kingdom was always more Brandenburgian than it was ever Prussian.

Mingle
01-12-2019, 02:26 AM
I know it targets mostly Russians but this modern Anti-Russian propaganda resembles a lot WW2-era dehumanizing propaganda:

Anti-Japanese:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/514CgYh4ARL.jpg

Anti-Jewish:

https://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1493880682734.jpg

You really feel about it like that?

If you think that the "Squatting Slav" meme is Slavophobic, then you should blame Slavs themselves for promoting and embracing that meme. If Slavs started talking about how offensive they find it, then it wouldn't be used as much (except to provoke). Right now, it's just used as light-hearted humor. Westerners aren't mind readers and aren't under any impression that Slavs have such a negative opinion of that meme.

BTW, it started out as a Russian meme (by non-Russians?) but it applies to Slavs as a whole now.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 02:31 AM
History of Hohenzollern Dynasty and "Prussia" (actually: Brandenburg) starts not with the Teutonic Order, but with Altmark.

Altmark was established on the then German-Slavic border as a base for launchinhg crusades into Polabian Slavic territories:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altmark

"In 936 the German king Otto I allotted the territory of the later Altmark to the Saxon Count Gero, in order to subdue the West Slavic Wends settling on the Elbe. Gero thereafter campaigned in the Slavic lands far beyond the river Elbe and thereafter established the Saxon Marca Geronis stretching up to the Oder in the east. Upon Gero's death in 965, his marca was split and the Northern March was granted to Dietrich of Haldensleben, who nevertheless turned out to be an incapable ruler and lost all the territories east of the Elbe in the Slavic Lutici uprising of 983. He retained only his margravial title and the initial land basis of his predecessor Gero's conquests west of the river.

For further one-and-a-half centuries, the lands east of the Elbe defied German control, until in 1134 Emperor Lothair of Supplinburg bestowed the Northern March on the Ascanian count Albert the Bear. Albert signed an inheritance contract with the Slavic Hevelli prince Pribislav and in 1150 succeeded him in his eastern territory around the fortress of Brandenburg an der Havel, which became the nucleus of his newly established Margraviate of Brandenburg in 1157."

In the 1200s-1300s, Brandenburg completed the conquest of Polabian Slavs and expanded into Polish lands east of the Oder.

Margraviate of Brandenburg in 1320:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Karte_Mark_Brandenburg_1320.png

In the 1600s Brandenburgian Hohenzollerns took control of the Duchy of Prussia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg-Prussia

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Brandenburg_Prussia_1525%E2%80%931648.png

In the 1700s Brandenburg-Prussia was renamed Prussia and became a Kingdom.

Grace O'Malley
01-12-2019, 03:56 AM

Ireland because they were part of British history and involved in a lot of that so they moved to other countries in the British Empire including the US where they had a large and very influential diaspora. Also Ireland had connections with countries like France and Spain with their mercenaries fighting in both armies. They also had a big influence on English literature among other things. I personally know very little about Slavic countries especially things like their mythology. I know nothing about that.

Irish and Scots are romanticised due to people's perceptions of the plucky Celt fighting off the evil Anglo-Saxons (Sassenachs).

Scandal
01-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Only Prussians are romanticized, for obvious reasons. The rest of Baltic people aren't.

cass
01-12-2019, 09:30 AM
. It is probably the European region that receives the least tourists annually so that says a lot, people don't tend to remember or consider them.
You are totally wrong. Comparing to the number of inhabitants they are popular tourist destinations. Especially Estonia which is simply flooded by Fins and Swedes.
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/ST.INT.ARVL/rankings

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Only Prussians are romanticized, for obvious reasons. The rest of Baltic people aren't.

What are these obvious reasons? Being the supposed ancestors of Germans from East Prussia? So why aren't Polabian Slavs romanticized as ancestors of Brandenburgians and Mecklenburgians?

Ireland because they were part of British history and involved in a lot of that so they moved to other countries in the British Empire including the US where they had a large and very influential diaspora. Also Ireland had connections with countries like France and Spain with their mercenaries fighting in both armies. They also had a big influence on English literature among other things. I personally know very little about Slavic countries especially things like their mythology. I know nothing about that.

Irish and Scots are romanticised due to people's perceptions of the plucky Celt fighting off the evil Anglo-Saxons (Sassenachs).

All the things you mentioned are not special or unique to Ireland enough to warrant being less obscure, except maybe the parts about proximity to the English-speaking world and large Diaspora.

Not exactly mercenaries, but Polish troops fought with Napoleon in places as distant as Spain, Italy and Haiti. Mercenaries proper probably did not fight further west than Germany (during the Thirty Years' War).

Lithuania was once a huge country, Ireland was never bigger than the island (unless you argue that Scotland is an Irish kingdom too, but that's not exactly true).

Balts and Slavs are even more parts of German history than the Irish are of British history.

Grace O'Malley
01-12-2019, 12:30 PM
What are these obvious reasons? Being the supposed ancestors of Germans from East Prussia? So why aren't Polabian Slavs romanticized as ancestors of Brandenburgians and Mecklenburgians?

All the things you mentioned are not special or unique to Ireland enough to warrant being less obscure, except maybe the parts about proximity to the English-speaking world and large Diaspora.

Not exactly mercenaries, but Polish troops fought with Napoleon in places as distant as Spain and Santo Domingo.

Belts and Slavs are even more parts of German history than the Irish are of British history.

I'm surprised the Balts and Slavs would be more a part of German history than the Irish were part of British history. Ireland was part of the UK for starters and the UK still has 6 counties of Irish territory today. I also think that the Irish were a large part of US culture and US films and books made the Irish well known just look at things like St Patrick's Day and Halloween. Irish also had a large presence in places like Australia. Ireland for its size is a very well known country.

How else would you explain it?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 12:56 PM
I'm surprised the Balts and Slavs would be more a part of German history than the Irish were part of British history. Ireland was part of the UK for starters and the UK still has 6 counties of Irish territory today. (...)

How is that surprising? All of East Germany were once Slavic and Baltic lands:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/AtHistEur900.jpg

https://www.edmaps.com/charlemagne__empire_verdun_partition_843.jpg

http://historygossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/empire-map.jpg

Grace O'Malley
01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
How is that surprising? All of East Germany were once Slavic and Baltic lands:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/AtHistEur900.jpg

https://www.edmaps.com/charlemagne__empire_verdun_partition_843.jpg

http://historygossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/empire-map.jpg

I don't know. I'm not much aware of the history but I am aware of British and Irish history. Irish and British history is very intertwined even before the Normans came to Ireland. I thought the question was why Ireland and Irish history was much more well known? I think it is fairly obvious because of the influence of the US and the UK around the globe.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Irish and British history is not necessarily that well-known in continental Europe.

There is a divide between Continental European and "Anglosphere" points of view.

What is known about British history is mainly British policies towards the continent.

Grace O'Malley
01-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Irish and British history is not necessarily that well-known in continental Europe.

There is a divide between Continental European and "Anglosphere" points of view.

What is known about British history is mainly British policies towards the continent.

I've met plenty of Europeans here and they all appeared very knowledgeable about Irish and British history especially about things like Britain's involvement in Ireland and the potato famine etc. I just don't think much is known about Baltic people in the general population. It is a fairly small area and you never hear much about them. Possibly on the European mainland they might be better known?

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:18 PM
I've met plenty of Europeans here and they all appeared very knowledgeable about Irish and British history especially about things like Britain's involvement in Ireland and the potato famine etc. I just don't think much is known about Baltic people in the general population. It is a fairly small area and you never hear much about them. Possibly on the European mainland they might be better known?

Well I'm pretty knowledgeable about history in general (all of Europe and beyond), so I guess it is hard for me to tell what is "very knowledgeable".

Knowing something about Britain's involvement in Ireland and the potato famine is not "very knowledgeable" to me.

Knowing stuff like Niall of the Nine Hostages, that counts as very knowledgeable. I don't think an "average Joe" in the continent heard about him.

pulstar
01-12-2019, 01:21 PM

I always thought that goes for Slovenians.

Grace O'Malley
01-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Well I'm pretty knowledgeable about history in general (all of Europe and beyond), so I guess it is hard for me to tell what is "very knowledgeable".

Knowing something about Britain's involvement in Ireland and the potato famine is not "very knowledgeable" to me.

Knowing stuff like Niall of the Nine Hostages, that counts as very knowledgeable. I don't think an "average Joe" in the continent heard about him.

Most people wouldn't know about Niall of the Nine Hostages. He would only be generally well known in Ireland or people interested in genetics. The difference about people knowing about the Irish potato famine is that not many people know anything about Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian history. I don't know anything myself and to be honest most people in Australia haven't even heard of those countries or aren't very familiar with them. Ireland is a bit different and people everywhere know about Ireland. I'm surmising this is because of British involvement in a lot of countries and the influence of the US. I mean they even have a St Patrick's Day parade in Japan.

https://tokyocheapo.com/events/love-ireland-festival-st-patricks-day-parade/

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:33 PM
The difference about people knowing about the Irish potato famine is that not many people know anything about Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian history. I don't know anything myself and to be honest most people in Australia haven't even heard of those countries or aren't very familiar with them

I can understand Latvia/Estonia, but 'm surprised that they don't know anything at least about Lithuania.

I think that Holodomor is as well-known as the Potato Famine. That's not Baltic history though, of course.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:38 PM
It is a fairly small area and you never hear much about them.

Ireland island = 84,421 km2
Baltic lands = 190,216 km2

It is twice as big as Ireland.

Grace O'Malley
01-12-2019, 01:40 PM
I can understand Latvia/Estonia, but 'm surprised that they don't know anything at least about Lithuania.

I think that Holodomor is as well-known as the Potato Famine. That's not Baltic history though, of course.

No Lithuania isn't a well known country here in Australia. Poland is though. Lithuania, Latvia are better known about in Ireland because of the immigrants there. Not many Latvians, Estonians or Lithuanians have come here for some reason.

Peterski
01-12-2019, 01:44 PM
No Lithuania isn't a well known country here in Australia. Poland is though.

I guess they made a mistake not wanting to be united with us anymore.

Peterski
01-13-2019, 01:21 AM
They have also a weak participation rate online so there isn't much exposure to them. There isn't a single active Baltic user at the moment for example (though there is a Latvian user that posts every once in a while).

Most of Non-British "European" users on TA don't really live in Europe but usually in some English-speaking country.

For example we have a ton of Albanian users but does even one of them actually live in Albania? I don't think so.

Maybe Baltic Diaspora is not numerous.

The "Squatting Slav" meme is based off gopnik Russians/East Slavs. It's called "Squatting Slavs" instead of "Squatting Russians" cause it rhymes. Also, non-Russian Slavs adopted/promoted it as well for whatever reason I don't know. But either way, memes are obviously gonna be more likely to grow around groups with large populations. How many internet memes exist surrounding Guinea or Tanzania? This should be pretty obvious to you mate.

Most people outside Northeast Europe/Baltic Sea region don't really know the Balts even exist, let alone romanticize them. However, those that do stumble upon them are probably a bit fascinated since they have next to interaction with Balts.

I wasn't necessarily talking about memes like Squatting Slav, but generally about Anti-Russian propaganda in American media.

It is very similar to your Anti-Japanese propaganda during WW2, also directed at an ethnicity/race rather than just the state.

Ruggery
01-13-2019, 01:41 AM
Ireland is a familiar country due to all countries in the Anglosphere having significant Irish or Irish-descended populations. It's not even comparable.

Ireland outside the Anglo-sphere is not very famous, for example, within the European Union Ireland has the same importance as Poland and Finland.