PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Meal?

The Journeyman
05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I've heard a combination of quick digesting protein (whey) and with high glycemic carbs is important to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles. But then I've also heard that post workout is when growth hormone peaks and that it is best to avoid carbs, or even fast for an hour or more.

I usually fast, in part because after a hardcore workout I drink a lot of water and end up not very hungry anyway. Then I'll maybe eat some steak.

What do you eat for a post workout meal? Any advice recommendations?

Psychonaut
05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
The only thing I take post workout is a whey shake. I get really queasy if I try and eat anything substantial after an hour plus of heavy lifting.

The Journeyman
05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I was drinking whey shakes post workout for a while, but for some reason it made me nervous and if I take it in the evening I am restless all night. I've tried to find out if the nervousness was due to some other factor but I am 100% sure it occurs only after I drink around 20-30g of whey. Strange, I know.

Psychonaut
05-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I was drinking whey shakes post workout for a while, but for some reason it made me nervous and if I take it in the evening I am restless all night. I've tried to find out if the nervousness was due to some other factor but I am 100% sure it occurs only after I drink around 20-30g of whey. Strange, I know.

Did your whey contain much else? I know a lot of the big name brands have extra goodies mixed in that might crank up your energy levels.

The Journeyman
05-14-2011, 12:01 PM
That's what I'm thinking because I used to use a different brand of whey right before bed and I don't remember any restless feelings at all.

It says one of the ingredients in my current whey is sucralose, which is a sugar substitute. Maybe that could be the culprit. I don't remember any such additives in the other whey product.

Grumpy Cat
05-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I always crave a hearty meat and potatoes meal after I work out.

Heretik
05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
http://www.athletespower.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/steroids12.jpg

:D

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I've heard a combination of quick digesting protein (whey) and with high glycemic carbs is important to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles. But then I've also heard that post workout is when growth hormone peaks and that it is best to avoid carbs, or even fast for an hour or more.

I usually fast, in part because after a hardcore workout I drink a lot of water and end up not very hungry anyway. Then I'll maybe eat some steak.

What do you eat for a post workout meal? Any advice recommendations?

40 gr whey + 50 gr vitargo/maltodestrin and 10gr of BCAA or glutamine.