PDA

View Full Version : All Blue-Eyed People Are Related

Jamt
05-14-2011, 01:54 PM
If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin. Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago. More, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 01:58 PM
If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin. Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago. More, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html

This is a very important research.

Shows that the simply axiom "blue eye=recessive trait" is uncorrect.

mymy
05-14-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't understand one thing. Say it that on average every person in Europe has in closest family at least one blue eyed person-father, mother,or grandparents and of course is related to that person. If all blue eyed people are related, and other non-blue eyed people are related to some blue eyed on some way, then by logic all people in Europe are related.

Panopticon
05-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't understand one thing. Say it that on average every person in Europe has in closest family at least one blue eyed person-father, mother,or grandparents and of course is related to that person. If all blue eyed people are related, and other non-blue eyed people are related to some blue eyed on some way, then by logic all people in Europe are related.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's correct as all Europeans are originally of the same origins, at least most of them. This relationship is of course incredibly distant, I can't remember the exact numbers but there was something about "if you go down so many generations in your family, you'll have so many ancestors" it was something like that at least :P Someone please remind me! :D

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 02:15 PM
...but also shows that Robert Mugabe and other non-albin blue eyed africans have protoeuropean ancestors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1988/gallery/340/mugabe.jpg
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/04/01/mugabe8.jpg

Anyway, we need more researches like this.

Sarmata
05-14-2011, 02:17 PM

The nearest person it's my wife so I hope that we're not "distant cousins":D...

Lábaru
05-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I already knew this news, but is interpreted incorrectl, brown-eyed people also have the gene for blue eyes, are also "distant cousins"​​.

Bloodeagle
05-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I already knew this news, but is interpreted incorrectl, brown-eyed people also have the gene for blue eyes, are also "distant cousins"​​.

I bet this (original) blue eyed ancestor probably mutated from a brown eyed person, anyway. The significance of this finding, does not move me. :)

Foxy
05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
What about people with brown eyes whose ancestors were blue-eyed like me? :confused:

Lábaru
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I bet this (original) blue eyed ancestor probably mutated from a brown eyed person, anyway. The significance of this finding, does not move me. :)

And that I have blue eyes, but my son can have brown eyes and carry the gen same that me.

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 04:18 PM
What about people with brown eyes whose ancestors were blue-eyed like me? :confused:

Same thing for me.

We bring the gene, but is recessive in our genetic, i think.

Foxy
05-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Same thing for me.

So if we have ancestors with blue eyes we are sure that we descend from Indo-Europeans, isn't it? Phenotypically I have dark brown eyes, but genetically 3/4 of me brings light eyes.

mymy
05-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Same thing for me.

Same here. :) But thats common for every European i think, no?

Foxy
05-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Same here. :) But thats common for every European i think, no?

Reading the article it sounds like: if you have light eyes you surealy descend from IEs but if you have brown eyes you could also descend from brown eyed IE.

Blossom
05-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Hazel-green-yellow eyes here with 98% blue eyes between family members. :D

Lábaru
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
So if we have ancestors with blue eyes we are sure that we descend from Indo-Europeans, isn't it? Phenotypically I have dark brown eyes, but genetically 3/4 of me brings light eyes.

No, not is the same.

Peyrol
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Reading the article it sounds like: if you have light eyes you surealy descend from IEs but if you have brown eyes you could also descend from brown eyed IE.

Original indoeuropean color is brown.

However, if we had a children with a blue-eyed person, baby could born with blue eyes.

mymy
05-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Yes but you are also decent of your parents, and if at least one of them has blue eyes and has blue eyed ancestor, than you must have it too by logic? How possible your parent and you dont have same ancestors?
Anyway, if you got brown eyes, and your parents and grandparents have blue eyes, it simply means that you have both, brown eyed and blue eyed ancestors, i think.

Panopticon
05-14-2011, 04:34 PM

I think you might be talking about PIE people and not IE people. Anyways, blue eyes started out as a mutation it then spread from one ancestor meaning that some people will have a stronger tendency towards blue eyes and some towards brown eyes. I'd think it'd go like this: Blue eyed ancestor has children, these children won't be blue eyed as this ancestor was the only one with this gene and needed to spread it, this gene spreads as this ancestors children make their own children, in the end enough people have this gene and blue eyes appear, some certain populations with a higher tendency towards blue eyes than others.

Hazel-green-yellow eyes here with 98% blue eyes between family members. :D

Interesting, I have that combination too. It's quite rare and people have commented on how strange it is.

kwp_wp
05-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Just imagine what kind of shock it had been when they saw for the first time newly born child with blue eyes. And nobody else never has had this color before. I wouldn't be surprised if that child was called either devil or god back in those times. :eek:

Turkophagos
05-14-2011, 05:02 PM
My paternal grandmother had blue-gray eyes.

Hello cousins!

antonio
05-14-2011, 06:19 PM

That's somewhat a yellow new. I (as many others brown-eyed people) have blue eyed ancestors on both sides.

Bard
05-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Just imagine what kind of shock it had been when they saw for the first time newly born child with blue eyes. And nobody else never has had this color before. I wouldn't be surprised if that child was called either devil or god back in those times. :eek:

Ancient greeks believed blue eyed people to be blessed by the gods, but I'm not really sure about the superstitious cavemen who saw the first blue eyes.

Jamt
05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
What the study shows is that brown eyed´s will newer be part of the blue eyed brotherhood. Just live with it brownies. :D

Blossom
05-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Kinda weirdy but interesting.

Lábaru
05-14-2011, 08:32 PM
My paternal grandmother had blue-gray eyes.

Hello cousins!

Liar , the Greeks can not have blue eyes.

antonio
05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
What the study shows is that brown eyed´s will newer be part of the blue eyed brotherhood. Just live with it brownies. :D

That's not...fair. I'am a blondes man.:confused:

mymy
05-14-2011, 09:23 PM
That's not...fair. I'am a blondes man.:confused:

Antonio, if you are not blue eyed, it will be logical that you have more rights on blue eyed girls, no? They can't marry their cousins!:eek:

Olavsson
05-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I am blue-eyed. My father is blue-eyed, and my mothers eyes are greenish.
I've got two blue-eyed grandparents (one on each side of the family), and two with light brown eyes.

Aces High
05-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Ancient greeks believed blue eyed people to be blessed by the gods, but I'm not really sure about the superstitious cavemen who saw the first blue eyes.

I always thought it was people with eyes a different colour,like David Bowie for instance.Also i thought the superstition was that they were reincarnated gods.

Daos
05-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Aren't all babies born with unpigmented eyes?:dunno:

Hess
05-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Aren't all babies born with unpigmented eyes?:dunno:

All Europid babies are. It's rarer among Negroids and Mongoloids, however

Bloodeagle
05-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Well American babies, at least mine, are born with very dark eyes, which have no real color. :)

Arne
05-20-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.livescience.com/9578-common-ancestor-blue-eyes.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080130170343.htm

jerney
05-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Not true, I've seen at least a few European/European descended babies born with brown eyes, but it is most common for babies to have a weird mucky blue/gray color for the first days even if they turn brown later

Comte Arnau
05-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Well, if it happened between 8,000 and 4,000 BC, it seems to me it arrived into Europe along with the Neolithic, so not really cavemen by then...

alnortedelsur
02-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Then, nearly all Europeans have that common ancestor, because blue eyes are present through all Europe, and nearly all (if not all) ethnic Europeans (including Iberians, Italians and Greeks) have some blue eyed family relative(s) or even carry the blue eye gene.