PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a city in both Sicily and Croatia called "Ragusa"?

Sikeliot
01-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Ragusa in Croatia is now called Dubrovnik.

But still. What is the root of the names?

There is a surname in Greek "Ragousis" which I have NO idea what it means but it must be of common root to the city names.

gıulıoımpa
01-15-2019, 01:40 AM
for the one in modern Croatia :form "Lau" meaning Cliff

romanized into Lausa----Rausa----and with "Ragusa" we are well into Venician time period .

For the Sicilian one it comes from the greek(bizantine period) word Rogos (wheat stock) being badly transported into a similar, but with different meaning ,arabic word "Rakkus" (famous place)

interestingly both cities at one point in time had the name "Rausa" even coming from different roots.

Inviato dal mio SM-G389F utilizzando Tapatalk

Erronkari
07-19-2021, 01:44 PM
for the one in modern Croatia :form "Lau" meaning Cliff

romanized into Lausa----Rausa----and with "Ragusa" we are well into Venician time period .

For the Sicilian one it comes from the greek(bizantine period) word Rogos (wheat stock) being badly transported into a similar, but with different meaning ,arabic word "Rakkus" (famous place)

interestingly both cities at one point in time had the name "Rausa" even coming from different roots.

Inviato dal mio SM-G389F utilizzando Tapatalk

Awesome!! I knew In the venetian period Dubrovnik was Ragusa, Split was Spalato, Rovinj was Rovigno (all of them in Croatia) and Pulj was Pola (the last actually in Slovenia).
But I ethimologically I haven’t known the story.
Very interesting!

Jana
07-19-2021, 02:02 PM
Awesome!! I knew In the venetian period Dubrovnik was Ragusa, Split was Spalato, Rovinj was Rovigno (all of them in Croatia) and Pulj was Pola (the last actually in Slovenia).
Very interesting!

Pula is actually in Croatia as well. :)

Dubrovnik/Ragusa has been called Ragusa since 10th century, so actually long before Venice came into possession of eastern Adriatic coast. They (Republic of Ragusa) were actually huge rivals with Venice, and flourished exactly because they did not come under Venetian rule. Croatian/Slavic culture and literature had a golden age in Dubrovnik, while in Venetian Dalmatia is was suppressed.

Varda
07-19-2021, 02:11 PM
Very interesting!

Until 13th century Dubrovnik/Ragusa was predominantly Dalmatian (Romance language) speaking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmatian_language

Dalmatian language in Dubrovnik disappeared in 15th century.

Dalmatian speaking areas in the late middle age
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Dalmatian_language_map_bgiu.jpg