PDA

View Full Version : 'Bands'/'Artists' and Genres you absolutely hate or can't bring yourself to like!

sturmwalkure
03-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Pretty self-explanatory. ;) Let's see...

Tokio Hotel
Green Day
Good Charlotte
My Chemical Romance
Blink 182
Fall Out Boy
Panic At The Disco
Cinema Bizarre
... countless other Emo/'Alternative' crap.
50 Cent
The Black Eyed Peas
Fergie
M.I.A.
Kelis
Lady Sovereign
Sean Paul
... countless other Reggae/Rap/Grime (aka Slime in my book) etc, crap.

There are other Genres I am not a fan of and hundreds of other so-called 'Bands' and 'Artists/Musicians' I dislike but I am too lazy to list them all. :)

On the other hand I do enjoy everything from Neo-Folk, Martial Industrial. Bubblegum Pop, Eurodance, Synth-pop, Electronica, Trance, Darkwave, Symphonic Metal, RAC, New Wave etc. I just listen to what sounds good to me, but I still know what sounds like crap which is why I don't listen to it but that's for another thread, :p My Last.fm charts are mind-bogglingly all over the charts but I just listen to what I like even though it confuses a lot of people having Sturmwehr, then T.a.t.u, then Von Thronstahl, then some Dance Dance Revolution [Bambee] music on my charts. LOL! :D

Anyway this thread is for so-called 'Bands' and 'Artists' and the Genres that you hate or just can't bring yourself to like. :thumb001:

Birka
03-08-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree with all of your dislikes. I despise Rap.

I like blues, classic rock, hard rock, old school metal, jazz, jazz fusion, and alt. country. My favorite band would be The Allman Brothers Band, who combined blues, jazz and country all in a unique way that actually started a new American style. An English band I really love is Wishbone Ash, especially all their albums up to 1975, where they started to get too Bee Gees for me. I worked and managed a record store while I was in college in the mid 70's, so needless to say, I have a great and varied collection of vinyl, cassettes and now cd's.
I started playing guitar about 7 or so years ago, and now I have an even greater appreciation for great guitar players, like John McLaughlin and Uli Jon Roth, both of whom I have been fortunate enough to see lately.

I tell people I like any music if there is virtuosity expressed. Too much metal today does not have great solos. I love the new Metallica album, with two guitar virtuosos. (I have to thank Galloglaich for convincing me to go see them recently)

Thorum
03-08-2009, 03:01 AM
Hip-Hop / Rap

Atlas
03-08-2009, 03:08 AM
I HATE French rap, but I enjoy Eminem, Dr dre or Snoop dog.

Good charlotte is not that bad. :icon_redface:

Psychonaut
03-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Let's see, there are a few genres for which I dislike every artist associated:

Rap, R&B, Reggae, Hawaiian, Jazz, etc.

Additionally, I'll most likely dislike any genre that has a "Pop-" (Pop Rock, Pop Punk, etc.) or a "-core" (Metalcore, Rapcore, Hardcore, etc.) suffix.

Finally, within the genres I do like, there are some notable exceptions. Although I love Black Metal, I absolutely loathe Mayhem. Despite my love of Classical music I don't really care for Mozart.

sturmwalkure
03-08-2009, 03:30 AM
I agree with all of your dislikes. I despise Rap.

I like blues, classic rock, hard rock, old school metal, jazz, jazz fusion, and alt. country. My favorite band would be The Allman Brothers Band, who combined blues, jazz and country all in a unique way that actually started a new American style. An English band I really love is Wishbone Ash, especially all their albums up to 1975, where they started to get too Bee Gees for me. I worked and managed a record store while I was in college in the mid 70's, so needless to say, I have a great and varied collection of vinyl, cassettes and now cd's.
I started playing guitar about 7 or so years ago, and now I have an even greater appreciation for great guitar players, like John McLaughlin and Uli Jon Roth, both of whom I have been fortunate enough to see lately.

I tell people I like any music if there is virtuosity expressed. Too much metal today does not have great solos. I love the new Metallica album, with two guitar virtuosos. (I have to thank Galloglaich for convincing me to go see them recently)

It's always great to appreciate the classics, I've recently been getting into ABBA. They're not rock but their music is so timeless and good. After spending years listening to A*Teens who started out with an ABBA cover album. I've realized that nothing compares to the original ABBA and I couldn't help but enjoy the tremendous amount of tremendously good music from Sweden. :D It was only after my friend in Austria convinced me to give ABBA a chance. But there are some rock bands, though their music may have a lot of pop influence, Mando Diao and the Sahara Hotnights also from Sweden. I guess I just look for music to suit whatever mood I am in at the moment. I'm also finding myself appreciating music in many different languages, Lithuanian, French, German, Japanese, Armenian, Dutch, Russian, Finnish, Estonian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Serbian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Slovenian, Polish, Czech, Icelandic, Greek, Hungarian, all languages I have in my library, and I am sure there is more, while I am able to appreciate music that goes beyond language it would be awesome to know some of those languages in the future. I don't know if it's a pet peeve that just I have, but it gets sad and annoying hearing some artists from non-English countries singing in English all the time, I can understand I guess if they are trying to gain success outside their native country. Anyway, it's no wonder a lot of the artists I listen to sing in their native tongues, it just adds an element that I find missing though there is plenty of English language music I listen to but I must say Lithuanian is one the most beautiful languages I've heard, I thought you'd appreciate this as you have Lithuanian heritage. :D

Anyway my Last.fm charts speak volumes (http://www.last.fm/user/elfichka_88), anyone is welcome to add me though my taste in music is all over the place. It boggles a lot of minds, even those who know me well. :D Oh jeez, now I am embarrassed about my charts and before anyone asks Tokio Hotel is on my charts because I *tried* them and didn't like. ;)

Also my tastes may or may not evolve so who knows what I will be listening to ten years down the road, ten years ago as a kid I listened to classical and country nearly exclusively. Now I am here with everything from Martial Industrial to Bubblegum Pop. :|

Jägerstaffel
03-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Classic rock.
Sixties music.

Aerosmith.
Guns n roses.

And most of all - Tool and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. What overhyped awful music.

I'm with Psychonaut with the 'core' types of music as well; HORRIBLE stuff.

I'll stick with my Black Metal/Death Metal/Folk Metal.

Loddfafner
03-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Let's see, there are a few genres for which I dislike every artist associated:

Rap, R&B, Reggae, Hawaiian, Jazz, etc.

Likewise. But I am fine with most ...core noise.

I am also allergic to disco, house, disco, club, techno, disco, and the like. I also hate muzak, soft rock or soft anything.

I am not keen on anything too formulaic (except oi!) which excludes most indie.

Psychonaut
03-08-2009, 03:46 AM
And most of all - Tool and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. What overhyped awful music.

I saw the Chili Peppers live when I was in High School and it was the lamest performance I've ever seen from a big band. They were completely upstaged by their opening act: the Foo Fighters.

Jägerstaffel
03-08-2009, 03:55 AM
I can believe it.

And all of their songs feel like geography lessons.
"little girl from Sweden ...'
'dream of Californication'
'the city I live in, the city of angels'

Sing about something else! :)

Thorum
03-08-2009, 04:00 AM
This is a follow-up to my previous comment.

There is one rap song I love!!

d3jCBZ-3Cd0

Hilding
03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I hate everything within the genre "Dansband"!

http://jahman.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/dansband.jpg

Here's an example from that genre, all swedes will recognize this song instantly!
uS5FrHiO-9Q

Manifest Destiny
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't care for rap or R&B. Aside from that, I'm willing to recognize and respect talent even when it comes from bands I dislike for personal reasons (talented bands like U2 that support nutty liberal ideas, for example).

Here are some bands that I think suck, regardless of how I may feel about them on a personal level:

System Of A Down - I've never understood their popularity. It sounds like random noise with shrieking to me.

The Beatles - I don't care what anyone says. These guys were just an over-hyped pop band.

The Darkness - More gay than a bag full of dicks.

Cake - The singer can't actually sing, so he just talks over the music. And why the hell do they need a trumpet in every song?

SPQR
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I absolutely hate the whole hardcore/emo/screamo bullshit. I hate rap but i'd happily listen to it than sit through My Chemical Romance, Silverstein, Taking Back Sunday, Five Finger Death Punch, etc etc

Frigga
03-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I absolutely despise rap, r&b, jazz, pop country, and modern bubble gum pop.

I like the musicality of death metal, but I hate the death metal vocals. If you spent so much time writing thoughtful lyrics, then sing them in a way that we can all understand! None of these bestial grunts and snorts.

I also dislike the Chili Peppers, and Green Day. Jane's Addiction is another one. AHH!

Stossy
03-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Tokio Hotel

There are more bands etc. but that is one I really hate.

If anyone hates Rick Astley, damn I will kick your ass!

Rick Astley ownes :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

Rudy
03-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I could listen to almost any modern music form, and take something away from it if I was in the mood.

Most of the new country does not sound very inspired to me. I do not have much patience for the R&B stations.

From the reviews that I have read, many people only like the harder songs.

Frigga
03-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I had to post artists and genres that I can't stand.

But, I also love softer music.

I love Irish, and Scottish music. Capercaillie is one of my favorite bands. I also really like Lorenna McKennit. And I love Pink Floyd. I like blues, but not jazz. And for some reason, I hate saxophones. Just me. And I also feel that the Beatles were overrated.

RoyBatty
03-14-2009, 04:00 PM
And for some reason, I hate saxophones.

Perhaps you were traumatised in the local Mall by Kenny G being piped across the hallways? :D

He truly is a horiffic sax player and represents a lot of what I can't personally stand in musicianship. That soulless, fake and empty emotional rollercoastal ride for zombies..... just like an Oprah chatshow.

YggsVinr
03-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I absolutely despise anything deathcore, metalcore, modern hardcore...anything related to this new "-core" trend in addition to screamo/emo bullshit. You can add pop-punk to this and any other bastardizations of either metal or hardcore punk.

I also can't stand alternative rock or most anything labeled "alternative", in addition to almost anything labeled "progressive" or "post-" (ie. post-black metal etc.) Bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Weakling, Krallice, Orthrelm, last two Emperor albums etc. to me are pretty well worthless (my reasoning for this I won't get into here unless anyone actually wants to hear my rant on this :p)

Although I don't "hate" it, I also have a strong aversion toward melodic death metal with a few exceptions.

Unsurprisingly, I cannot stand rap, hip hop, pop, most electronic music, reggae and so on.

My own preferred music tastes are almost exclusively metal, predominantly black, death, thrash, and folk metal. I also enjoy classical music (some favourites being Rachmaninoff, Grieg, Sibelius, Halvorsen, Nelsen, Beethoven etc.) and folk music (particularly French Canadian, east coast Canadian, Scandinavian, German and Ukrainian).

RoyBatty
03-14-2009, 04:29 PM
YggsVinr, do you know the group Garolou from the 70's and 80s? It's a bit hard to define the exact style...... folk / rock / progrock.

YggsVinr
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
YggsVinr, do you know the group Garolou from the 70's and 80s? It's a bit hard to define the exact style...... folk / rock / progrock.

Nope, I haven't. I just looked them up, but it seems on youtube I could only find covers of their songs rather than the band themselves performing. I listened to two songs that I found: La danse de la limonade and Belle Hirondelle. The first was quite decent, but I found the latter inserted too much of what I don't really like in many folk/rock bands, which is to say the infusion of prog's jazzy or "ethnic" elements. La Bottine Souriante add jazzy elements in some of their later music as well and I think its a real shame. That's why I enjoy bands like Le Vent du Nord (another French Canadian folk band) who really stay in keeping with French Canadian folk tradition.

I'll try to find some more songs from this band, though, as, like I said, the first song sounded promising.

RoyBatty
03-14-2009, 09:52 PM
I had a look, you're right. There's nothing original I could find on youtube. This site has a few of their tracks.

Not sure if it's really your taste but check out "Germaine"

http://www.myspace.com/garolougarouprog

YggsVinr
03-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Just gave it a listen, I really like the intro to Germaine (they should have kept that up!) but after that around 0:46 in it kind of ruined it for me. I liked the vocal interlude around 5:22 or so but then it proceeds as before. The solo around 4:30 was pretty cool as well I must admit. Overall the rest of the song is too progressive for my tastes, though. Thanks for bringing them up though :thumbs up

Barreldriver
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
These are my likes, I'll list what I own first, then what I do not own after. :D
What I own:
Aborym - Generator
Aborym - Kali Yuga Bizarre
Aborym - With No Human Intervention
Aborym - Worshiping Damned Souls(Demo)
Absurd - Blutgericht
Absurd - Grimmige Volksmusik
Absurd - Totenlieder
Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions
Aethyria - Manifestations 99-02
Alcest - Tristesse Hivernale
Alcest - Le Secret
Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines
Amon Amarth - Twighlight of the ThunderGod
Ancestral - Avowal
Aorhalc - La Crois e Des Vents
Archgoat - Whore of Bethlehem
Arckanum - Fran Marder
Arckanum - Trulen
Austere/Lyrinx - Split
Bathory(I have all albums ever done by Bathory, I'm too lazy to list them all at this time.)
Behemoth - Ezkaton(perhaps the worst album I ever wasted money on)
Bill Monroe - The Father of Bluegrass
Burzum - Anthology
Cruachan - Folklore
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Fanisk - Die and Become
Fanisk - Noontide
Folkearth - A Nordic Poem
Forgotten Tomb - Obscura Arcana Mortis EP
Forgotten Tomb - Songs To Leave
Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression
Graveland - The Celtic Winter
Goatmoon - Death Before Dishonor
Goatmoon - Finnish Steel Storm
Heidevolk - De Strijdlust is Geboren
Heidevolk - Walhalla Wacht
Hypothermia - Kaffe & Blod
Hypothermia - Köld
Hypothermia - Veins
Hypothermia - Rakbladsvalsen
Inquisition - Into the Infernal Regions of the Ancient Cult
Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations
Inquisition - Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer
Kauan - Tietäjän Laulu
Ljaa - Demo 2002
Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs - 20th Century Masters-The Millennium Collection-The Best of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs
Murder by Death - Red of Tooth and Claw
Nadja - Moss&Nadja split
Nadja - Touched
Nadja - Body Cage
Nadja - Corrasion
Nadja - Skin Turns to Glass
Nadja - Thaumogenis
Ondskapt - Dödens Evangelium
Satanic Warmaster - Black Metal Kommando
Seance - Awakening of the Gods
Swartalf - The Golden Section
Thergothon - Dancing in the Realm of Shades
Thergothon - Fhatagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Tyr - Land
Ubermensch - God is Dead
Venom - Official Bootleg Live 1985
Venom - Metal Black
Watain - Rabid Deaths Curse
Watain - Casus Luciferi
Windir - Arntor
Windir - Likferd
Winterfylleth - Ghosts of our Heritage
Wormtongue - Memorial to a Golden Age
Wormtongue - Solstice Funeral

Other music that I listen to but have yet to obtain material for:
Angantyr
Chants De Guerre
Elffor
Halgadom
Lifelover
L'Ordre du Temple
Noctifer
Nyktalgia
Ordo Templi Aeternae Lucis
Tarabas
Trollech
Unheilvoll
Vader
Valkyrja
Vlad Tepes

Dislikes - rap for one, and modern pop music(if you can call it music, it's not even composed or performed by real people it's all done by machines anyways.)

Absinthe
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
"Greek" music :rolleyes:

Treffie
03-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Bono and his sanctimonious s*** really get on my nerves - `We've got to raise money for the poor in Africa, and do something to prevent global warming.`:mad: Well, if you're so righteous, why is it that you had your favourite hat flown in by private jet?`

http://garynielson.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bono.jpg

UB40, bunch of whiggers!:rolleyes2:

http://www.byron-bay.com/images/UB-40.jpg

Barreldriver
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Oops I just realized this was Bands/Artists you can't bring your self to like, I thought it was Bands/Artists you like lol. I pretty much posted all my favs. Christ I'm dumb.

Treffie
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Oops I just realized this was Bands/Artists you can't bring your self to like, I thought it was Bands/Artists you like lol. I pretty much posted all my favs. Christ I'm dumb.

I was wondering why you posted all those! :confused:

Barreldriver
03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I was wondering why you posted all those! :confused:

My eye sight has been progressively getting worse as I get older, by the time I'm in my middle ages I can garuntee that I'll be near blind.

RoyBatty
03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Bono and his sanctimonious s*** really get on my nerves - `We've got to raise money for the poor in Africa, and do something to prevent global warming.`:mad: Well, if you're so righteous, why is it that you had your favourite hat flown in by private jet?`

http://garynielson.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bono.jpg

You're so right about that clown Bozo. The guy is forever out hobnobbing with the lowest of the political scum while using every possible opportunity to hog and promote products for corporates (under the guise of charity).

Being greedy is one thing but being so shameless about it is beyond bad taste.

Absinthe
03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I always found U2's pretentious attitude and victim mentality also to be disgusting.

Inese
03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
I hate Rap, Hip-Hop, Russian Music, jazz, RnB, Arabic and Bollywood music and gospel!!!v:coffee::mad:

Red Skull
03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Metal.

Haha, I probably won't be getting any thanks for this one. :D

RoyBatty
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Metal.

Turbofolk only?? :D

Jägerstaffel
03-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Hatebreed. Worst band ever.

YggsVinr
03-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Metal.

Leave the hall!:p

Roy
04-17-2021, 09:01 PM
I can't stand bands / artists like Nickelback, Paramore, Imagine Dragons, AC/DC, MGMT, Mumford & Sons, Taylor Swift, Lorde, U2

frankhammer
04-17-2021, 09:08 PM
All metal and the majority of both rap and hip hop.

oszkar07
04-18-2021, 12:59 AM
I can appreciate some Hip Hop but it has become too big imo much more popular than it deserves to be but hey maybe this is what happens when culture becomes dumbed down ... for the youngens that were born into the generations where hip hop has takeon over the charts i guess they didnt have much choice to digest it.(we r all products of our generations to some degree)Modern pop music doesnt do much for me. I like some metal but a lot of it is just noise imo.