PDA

View Full Version : A little question about some 17th century English words ?

The Lawspeaker
05-17-2011, 07:18 PM
BD8wmYdONmk
What is "the Jades" "or "their Gilting". ? (I can understand the rest of it perfectly well but what on earth does these two words mean ?) :)

Daos
05-24-2011, 04:03 AM
The answer was in the comments:

A 'jade' is 'a disreputable or ill-tempered woman' (a shrew, a bitch). As for 'their Gilting complain', they meant 'jilting'. 'To jilt' is 'to trick a man by flattering his love with hopes' (from Samuel Johnson's 18th-century dictionary; not the same as the modern sense).

;)

EDIT: Actually, I just realised you asked the question there, too, so you already know... :P

Albion
08-19-2012, 10:50 PM
The answer was in the comments:

A 'jade' is 'a disreputable or ill-tempered woman' (a shrew, a bitch). As for 'their Gilting complain', they meant 'jilting'. 'To jilt' is 'to trick a man by flattering his love with hopes' (from Samuel Johnson's 18th-century dictionary; not the same as the modern sense).

;)

EDIT: Actually, I just realised you asked the question there, too, so you already know... :P

Really? You learn something new every day.

There's some Pakistani woman in my town call that - I always though she was named after the green stone used in Chinese Jewellery. ;) No I know the other meaning. :D