PDA

View Full Version : The hard drives in new iMacs can't be self-upgraded

poiuytrewq0987
05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Sealing another component in, Apple's latest Mac shenanigans include changing the type of cable that attaches to a hard drive. The end result is a hard drive (http://dvice.com/archives/2011/04/self-encrypting.php) that can't be user upgraded or replaced. Get ready to hand Apple a load of dollars to change a borked hard drive.

It's becoming a little ridiculous what Apple is doing. First the iPod included a non-replaceable battery, then the iPhone, then the MacBooks received a sealed in battery design, then MacBook Air (http://dvice.com/archives/2010/10/the-new-macbook.php)'s had their RAM soldered in and now Apple's killed user-serviceable hard drives in their iMac line. See where things are headed?

According to MacSales, the new iMacs use a 7-pin power cable instead of the standard 4-pin cable to connect to new hard drives. The cable change is said to regulate the temperature inside of the iMacs with Apple's firmware to ensure the computer doesn't overheat and explode into a million pieces of glass and aluminum.

The short conclusion is, if you want to upgrade the hard drive or it fails, you'll have to hand your iMac over to Apple to replace and it's going to cost a lot more than servicing it yourself. Apple generally tends to overcharge for its hard drive upgrades and replacements. Now customers have no choice but to pay up.

It couldn't be more clear-cut that Apple does not want you tampering with their hardware guts. For most Apple customers, this might be fine, but as a person who's replaced a hard drive on every single Mac I've ever owned, whether that was due to to failure or an upgrade, I can say losing the ability to replace the stock drive is a big downer.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/the-hard-drives.php

SwordoftheVistula
05-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I thought they already had been this way forever. That's one of the main reasons I won't buy Macs, they have a monopoly on everything, with a regular computer I can buy replacement parts from any one of a number of manufacturers and stores.

Franz
05-20-2011, 01:53 AM
It gives me more reasons not to buy from them not that I was ever interested in any of their products in the first place. I don't have anything against them, and many people I know are happy with Apple. It's just nothing they have I ever wanted especially considering the price factor. I build my own PCs picking out all the individual components. When necessary, I replace and upgrade hardware. I would really hate to waste my time and money to have to send it to a store.

then MacBook Air (http://dvice.com/archives/2010/10/the-new-macbook.php)'s had their RAM soldered in and now Apple's killed user-serviceable hard drives in their iMac line.The RAM is soldered, so it'll force you when needed to buy another system.

The cable change is said to regulate the temperature inside of the iMacs with Apple's firmware to ensure the computer doesn't overheat and explode into a million pieces of glass and aluminum<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> This is baloney. The BIOS can be configured to shutdown a computer for specified temperatures. They’re doing that to eliminate other third party companies from getting money. Apple fanboys are becoming more abundant, so it'll benefit Apple more than hurt them.

Magister Eckhart
05-20-2011, 02:09 AM
This is why I only use IBM computers and a Windows or Linux-based OS. Apple is just for pretentious asses who want to show off how much money they can waste on sub-standard technology. When my iPod finally dies (it's 6 years old and getting there) I'm getting a Zune, and then I will finally be completely mac-free.

Franz
05-20-2011, 03:29 AM
When my iPod finally dies (it's 6 years old and getting there) I'm getting a Zune, and then I will finally be completely mac-free.

Might want to check out the FiiO X3. For something inexpensive, a Sansa Clip+ or Fuze would do. Both take Rockbox.

SwordoftheVistula
05-20-2011, 04:25 AM
You can get good deals on non-name brand MP3 Players. I've got a 4 GB MP3 Player, which I can also use as a flash drive, came with a usb cable and earbuds for $5 shipped. Works as good as any other MP3 Player.

ChAoZ
08-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I really think that the future generations of the Mac will be like not changeable at all. You will probably only be able to turn on the computer as usual, but you won't be able to take out anything, including the hard drive, RAM, graphic cards, sound cards [...], really ridiculous in my opinion, but probably a good chance to make money whenever you want to upgrade, change, or repair something, - your wallet will be smiling at the next retail store. :D

However, I'm not that of a Mac computer fan, the OS is probably good, also developer friendly, but it's too kind of not of a computer anymore, more like a picture rather than an operating system, if you look at it, but that's just my opinion. :p

Regards

poiuytrewq0987
08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I really think that the future generations of the Mac will be like not changeable at all. You will probably only be able to turn on the computer as usual, but you won't be able to take out anything, including the hard drive, RAM, graphic cards, sound cards [...], really ridiculous in my opinion, but probably a good chance to make money whenever you want to upgrade, change, or repair something, - your wallet will be smiling at the next retail store. :D

However, I'm not that of a Mac computer fan, the OS is probably good, also developer friendly, but it's too kind of not of a computer anymore, more like a picture rather than an operating system, if you look at it, but that's just my opinion. :p

Regards

Less intelligent people do need a working computer after all... :coffee:

ChAoZ
08-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Less intelligent people do need a working computer after all... :coffee:

Which means? 7 is not working as well as a Mac? :rolleyes2:

SwordoftheVistula
08-18-2011, 02:03 AM

How is that different from the current & past generations of Mac?

ChAoZ
08-18-2011, 03:43 AM
How is that different from the current & past generations of Mac?

I do think that you can still replace or change your hard drive right now alone, without going to a retail store. :rolleyes2:

poiuytrewq0987
08-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Which means? 7 is not working as well as a Mac? :rolleyes2:

No, it means those kind of people need idiotproof computers. :thumb001: