PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP sales to end, Microsoft is forcing use of Vista...

Elveon
03-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Microsoft will stop selling Windows XP to OEM manufacturers by mid-summer. At that point, they will be allowed to sell off any licensed copies they have, but after that all new computers will be loaded with Vista.

Retailers will still be able to sell XP for a while yet, but because everything is going to Vista, the necessary drivers for newer hardware may not be available...

Beorn
03-09-2009, 02:41 AM
You can buy a Vista run PC and have it changed to XP, or is that not possible?

Sigurd
03-09-2009, 02:42 AM
That is annoying. XP, especially in its Service Pack 2 update had matured fairly well. When it was brought it, there were a few changes but by and at large the interface stayed the same, not alienating people like I who've been using computers since 3.11 was the newest version on the market. I didn't understand much of it then so I grew up with Windows 95 and NT 4.0 - their respective interfaces are the ones I was most familiar with: And by and at large their interfaces remained largely unchanged through 98, 2000, ME and XP.

Vista on the other hand changed so much about the interface that it is more than just a little annoying. A friend has it installed on his computer and it takes me hours to find all the little buttons, shortcuts and other tweaks. Worse even, the corresponding Word 2007 has so much changed about its functions that I as a boy who learned his writing craft with Word 97 for the most part am completely oblivious as to where to find known functions, shortcuts and extras. I've been pushed to prefer OpenOffice over Word ever since.

A shame really, because I don't think Vista is a particularly good operating system, and much prefer XP over it. Most people I have spoken to feel the same and the judgment they have for it is better not repeated in original quoting on a family-friendly forum. I think Microsoft are going to score an Own Goal if they want to push Vista... :rolleyes2:

Elveon
03-09-2009, 03:38 AM

It is possible and easy

To remove Vista from your computer...

1-) Use a software like G-Disk; download it (freeware in command line)

Available here:

http://www.01net.com/telecharger/mac/Internet/courrier_email/fiches/33199.html

2-) Configure your bios to boot on CDROM (not HDD >>>disable HDD boot sequence.)

3-) Boot on G-Disk ( Your G-Disk CD must be BOOTABLE!)

4-)Remove all partitions (type: gdisk1 /del /all)

5-)Then, type "gdisk1 /mbr" (this action allows a re initialization of your Master Boot Record)

6-) Insert XP CDROM, and install...

7-) Vista gone!

Note: You could use a very good tool named "Hiren's Boot", which contain G-Disk; I recommand it.
It's also possible to have Dual Boot (Vista+XP) on your computer; I can explain the manipulation if interested.

FFF

Treffie
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Yes, Vista Business is downgradeable to XP Pro at the moment. This has been on the cards for almost 2 years - I'm in the business and most of my suppliers stopped selling XP Pro only operating systems about a year back.

SPQR
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
It is possible and easy

Available here:

2-) Configure your bios to boot on CDROM (not HDD >>>disable HDD boot sequence.)

5-)Then, type "gdisk1 /mbr" (this action allows a re initialization of your Master Boot Record)

7-) Vista gone!

Note: You could use a very good tool named "Hiren's Boot", which contain G-Disk; I recommand it.
It's also possible to have Dual Boot (Vista+XP) on your computer; I can explain the manipulation if interested.

FFF

Thanks for that, Vista is rediculous.. I don't want to pay money to get rid of it either.

Absinthe
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes, my boyfriend does it to every PC he gets his hands on. I am struggling to keep my laptop away from him, he gives me hell for having Vista and wants to install XP.

I like the interface so I keep saying "not now hun, I'm in the middle of something, let's do it later, shall we", and I buy myself time until the next time he remembers that he *must* harass me for not having uninstalled Vista yet. :D

Skandi
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Vista is terrible it isn't compatible with many old programs and takes a ridiculous amounts of system resources to run, I can still run the high end games on this machine, (With XP) but I can't even load Vista!
But hope is on the way, Windows 7 is coming soon, either that or it's linux time but that means a windows emulator and that's even more of a pain in the arse.

PS don't some of the new ultra small laptops run XP because vista is to big for them?

HawkR
03-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Oh no! Do I have to actually go to www.thepiratebay.com or btjunkie.org and actually write Windows XP Service Pack 2 and press enter, for then to download it? Damn you Microsoft! :)

Now, what's the point of this? They're making Windows 7, even though I got only 5 in my livingroom, and now they want to force this extremely high quality best-interface-ever not-using-any-of-your-ram-or-hdd-space os onto us? Well, good luck and break a leg is all what I say, I know that many people won't bother to change it to XP when they buy themselfs a new comp, but still, forcing Vista on us? Pathetic way to sell some crackmade shit.

SwordoftheVistula
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I have XP on my main computer. Vista I have on my laptop because it came with it, and also on computers at work. It is slow as hell and annoying as fuck. Every time I click on something, I get a popup "ARE YOU REALLY DOUBLE-DOG SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT?!?!?!"

If I didn't want to, I wouldn't have clicked on it, now would I? And if I wanted some sort of paternalistic system for retards, I'd have gotten a Mac.

Elveon
03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
It is possible and easy

Available here:

7-) Vista gone!

FFF

I add this:

1-) How to Create a Bootable CD-ROM? At:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/75

2-) Download Hiren's Boot CD v9 8 + Keyboard Patch at:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2367780

Note: To create a bootable CD, it should burn it as ISO and preferably on a cdr-w because the versions change regularly.

A simple search on google for example "burn the iso" te provide dozens of links.

Susi
03-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I have XP on my main computer. Vista I have on my laptop because it came with it, and also on computers at work. It is slow as hell and annoying as fuck. Every time I click on something, I get a popup "ARE YOU REALLY DOUBLE-DOG SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT?!?!?!"

If I didn't want to, I wouldn't have clicked on it, now would I? And if I wanted some sort of paternalistic system for retards, I'd have gotten a Mac.

UAC can be easily turned off.

I don't understand the vista-hate. I've liked it since I had it.

Birka
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I am easily one of the most computer retarded person on this forum, ha ha. My system is apparently a mixture of both Vista and XP. A friend rebuilt and vastly upgraded my computer a while back and he set up this hybrid system he found, and it works fantastic. It has aspects I recognize from the old XP I had, but newer options that come from Vista. I guess its good to have friends to introduce you to talented people who can do these things. Thanks Galloglaich.

:wink