PDA

View Full Version : The Dutch through (mostly) foreign eyes

The Lawspeaker
05-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Note: please only reply if you have visited the country (or have lived there or still live there) and met it's people and have thus build up a picture of the way Dutch society and the country in general works.

The Dutch themselves are of course also welcome. Be frank and outspoken.

The Dutch.. well we love 'em or hate 'em but what is it that you found to be very typical during your stay ?

Dutched Pinay (http://misst2000ph.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_archive.html)'s blogspot. She seems to be a professional from the Philippines that has been living and working here for quite some time. Her English is, for what I can see (and I have been reading her blogs for some time) excellent and so is her sense of humour. She offers the viewer a nice insight into who we are....but seen through foreign eyes.

I really like her points of view here. Not bad (http://misst2000ph.blogspot.com/2010/06/dutch-elections-vent.html) for a foreigner.

Dutched Pinay (http://misst2000ph.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_archive.html)'s blogspot. She seems to be a professional from the Philippines that has been living and working here for quite some time. Her English is, for what I can see (and I have been reading her blogs for some time) excellent and so is her sense of humour. She offers the viewer a nice insight into who we are....but seen through foreign eyes.

I really like her points of view here. Not bad (http://misst2000ph.blogspot.com/2010/06/dutch-elections-vent.html) for a foreigner.

DutchedPinay wrote this in 2005 - when I read it I was in stitches:

Dutch Humor at Work (http://misst2000ph.blogspot.com/2005/05/dutch-humor-at-work.html)

I have long wanted to write about cheesehead humor, the kind of humor that if you do not understand it, it will send you to a fit. For a visitor, it will not make sense, but for people like me, who have adopted this country, we either have to learn to accept their uncanny ways or we refute and wallop back at them equally.

An eye for an eye... a tooth for a tooth...

Ah yes, it is not for the faint at heart; participating in Dutch humor is an exemplary exercise of being rude, direct, thick faced, and insensitive. You must at least be game enough to be criticized and pass the buck to the other. Give and take! If your colleague nails you to the obscene limelight, please by all means, drag him into it too. Don’t just nail him, but use it as an opportunity to get even. Evil, hehe.

But the key to Dutch Humor is, DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONAL. If you do, its not the Dutch's fault but yours.

Last week, a friend of my colleague (this colleague is half-Dutch and half-German) played a deadly joke on him while being away in Germany for a client visit.

His neighbor friend, using his office email account, sent to our company group email --- a letter of confirmation of his supposedly job application and a schedule of his job interview with their company. Since it’s our company group email, our hotshot bosses, the ones sitting on the topmost poles of the company, along with the rest of the nosy lot in the office, received it.

“Shit, the Duitser (German) is busy looking for a job!” says one colleague grinning sarcastically behind his monitor.

“Is this a joke, or what?!” shouts another.

“Ack, I couldn’t care less.” says the other. Hehe.

The GF of our colleague, who also works for the same company, had to call him in the middle of his client meeting in Germany asking for an explanation of the job application and interview email. I guess she was very much embarrassed for him!

We found out later that it was all a joke... a deadly joke, but guess what, everyone thought it was the finest shenanigan that ever rolled into our office. Even the management thought so. How cool!!!???

Anyway, that’s just a sneak preview of the circus we have here in the office. I bet if they do this kind of act somewhere, the HR or management will call you to a bad conduct review meeting.

Then last Friday evening during our company dinner, we had a comedian hired to entertain us. Stand-up comedians in Holland are not your regular I-want-to-please-you and make-you-laugh-your-heart-out acts. They are there to ridicule you, the audience, and you again the audience, should be game enough to not take it in bad faith. Instead of being shocked, insulted, and berated, you must open your mouth and let out a loud cry of appreciation. Leave your sense and sensibilities at the door.

Case in point, the wife of our hotshot boss (she looks like a full-sized Barbie Doll) is blond. We all know the blond stereotype, right? So needless to say, she was an easy target. The comedian called her attention and named her, Leontien --- after the blond girl married to a popular singer here in NL where she used to do those blond stupid acts on TV. So off went the comedian working on her...

“He, Leontien, do you know what you have in common with the A2?” he barked.

“No!” she laughs (she laughed before the joke was told, blonds...).

“Half of Holland have been over the A2!” He shrieks, followed by a loud growling laugh that sent sweats trickling down across his forehead. Eww.

Well, everyone LAUGHED. Yes, E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E, including the Dutchman.

If you didn’t get the joke, here it is: Just like the busy highway A2, where half of the Dutch has driven over; she must have had sex with half of the male population in Holland.

Well everyone thought it was REAL FUN. Yeah [insert sarcasm] right on.

I know, it’s kind of like a bad joke, an insult, but them, mischievous Dutch, love these rude antics that make fun of others, and even themselves!

Their TV commercial speak for itself too. In the past, I could not make anything out of it, also because of the language difference, but now being almost integrated in this country, I learned to acclimatize and camouflage into their ways (mostly for my benefit, haha).

Oh my, what have I become? Scary...

Aces High
06-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Slobbish like the English (in a nice way)..hard working like the German.A sort of mix between English and German without that obsessive fastidiousness the Germans have.

(they also have a shit national football team like us English as well that always lets them down)

The Lawspeaker
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Slobbish like the English (in a nice way)..hard working like the German.A sort of mix between English and German without that obsessive fastidiousness the Germans have.

(they also have a shit national football team like us English as well that always lets them down)
Less anal, maybe. The funny thing is that Dutch are really a structured people (every has to be clean, tucked into it's proper place, planned, cautious and careful) but when you look at for instance the army and schools then discipline of any sort is nowhere to be seen. It's maybe because of the more egalitarian nature of society.

Aces High
06-06-2011, 10:46 AM
You can see it for instance in the way they park their cars.If you go to Germany and look at a car park it looks like every shiny well kept car has been parked using a spirit level and GPS,where in Holland like England there are cars and bikes scattered everywhere......The English like the Dutch are very loose hangers.

Laudanum
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I think most foreign people will base their opinion on the western part of the country, which is being visited the most. There are pretty big differences between the western part and the eastern part of the country.

Personally I like the northern provinces the most, such as Groningen and Friesland. Everything is just a bit smaller and people seem to be much nicer and less busy.

Albion
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmmm... well the Flemish are basically thought of as continental Brits - a lot of things are similar - caravans, brick houses, same sort of language, weather, landscapes, the Pigeon fanciers :D. I suppose the Belgae left their mark.

The Dutch are seen in a similar way really, but more liberal and open-minded than either Brits or Germans. I suppose this country has something of an unstated affection for the Netherlands.

The Dutch are seen as liberal, industrious, well organised but at the same time there is something traditional about them.
When looking at their polders and landscapes that stereotype of being well organised appears very true.

The Netherlands is a good "role model nation" for other nations to look up to, a bit like some do to Scandinavia - the whole immigration and multiculturalism thing though is the bad cancer that has latched onto this sadly - that bit needs learning from.

Grumpy Cat
06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Pretty easy-going people. Easy to get along with. Friendly, although kind of quiet.

Very well organized, and efficient.

Heimmacht
06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I think the Dutch (Mostely the Dutch Government) have become a bunch of soft-asses.
But not for their own people, we get cut on our medical needs (have to pay for medicines and consults that 'should' be covered largely by our expensive health inssurance) and we pay even more for it!!

Sometimes I'm so fed up because of it that I'm seriously contemplating if immigrating isn't a better option than to live here and vote for 'Geitenwollensokken Mierenneukers'....

I agree it's a negative opinion on our country, but the good things have almost faded away. :S

Crossbow
06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
^Unfortunately I have to agree. There is not much left to be proud off. I am almost embarrassed to be Dutch myself. This is a country run by homosexuals.

The Lawspeaker
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
^Unfortunately I have to agree. There is not much left to be proud off. I am almost embarrassed to be Dutch myself. This is a country run by homosexuals.
"Shakes head in disgust"

Yes... we have a problem but you should never be embarrassed. Keep your head up.

Sometimes I'm so fed up because of it that I'm seriously contemplating if immigrating isn't a better option than to live here and vote for 'Geitenwollensokken Mierenneukers'....

I am also contemplating immigration but only because there is no other choice given family circumstances. Otherwise I would have preferred to stay in this country.

I'll miss this:

http://www.ontdeknederland.org/contents/pages/28709/003.JPG

And all those little things that make the spice of our life Dutch. All those silly little things that you don't even think about now. I noticed that when I was in England that I was looking for a Dutch newspaper and I couldn't find it. That's one of those little things when you do when you're here: you walk into the nearest kiosk or bookshop and you get your hands on the NRC. Try that in England.

The fact that we here in the Netherlands always speak our mind and when you get overseas you notice that you're the only one that's doing so and that they not always understand the typical dry Dutch sense of humour (nor it's countless euphemisms) and may it even consider it to be rude.

poiuytrewq0987
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM
"Shakes head in disgust"

Yes... we have a problem but you should never be embarrassed. Keep your head up.

I am also contemplating immigration but only because there is no other choice given family circumstances. Otherwise I would have preferred to stay in this country.

I'll miss this:

And all those little things that make the spice of our life Dutch. All those silly little things that you don't even think about now. I noticed that when I was in England that I was looking for a Dutch newspaper and I couldn't find it. That's one of those little things when you do when you're here: you walk into the nearest kiosk or bookshop and you get your hands on the NRC. Try that in England.

The fact that we here in the Netherlands always speak our mind and when you get overseas you notice that you're the only one that's doing so and that they not always understand the typical dry Dutch sense of humour (nor it's countless euphemisms) and may it even consider it to be rude.

I wouldn't immigrate to England, the living costs is way too high. :lol:

Aces High
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Move to Norfolk,its just like Holland except there are no tulips....or wooden clogs.

The Lawspeaker
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Move to Norfolk,its just like Holland except there are no tulips....or wooden clogs.
Unfortunately my girlfriend is living in Warwickshire so.. we'd probably stay there when I come over (couple of years from now).

Another thing that I noticed when I was there: water quality. We in the Netherlands we have some anal standards when it comes to water quality and the results are there: we have the best tap water in Europe. It's as good as mineral water.

But when I was in England I noticed that the water didn't taste like here and that my girlfriend used this filter to filter out the water.. and when I looked at the filter I saw that indeed particles of some kind of matter remained in it. That shocked me -- even more so because Mel told me that she always felt a bit better and healthier after having travelled here.

Crossbow
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
"Shakes head in disgust"

I'll miss this:

Of course I'll keep my head up. But what we face here is not just a problem, but a total deformation of the national identity. So I'm not able to take my fellow-countrymen seriously anymore. And, yes this causes some embarrasment now and then.

The Lawspeaker
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Of course I'll keep my head up. But what we face here is not just a problem, but a total deformation of the national identity. So I'm not able to take my fellow-countrymen seriously anymore.
I still do. Although.. it's difficult but if we as nationalists would give up on our own.. then it's all over.

Aces High
06-10-2011, 01:37 PM
[FONT="Georgia"]
Another thing that I noticed when I was there: water quality.

I used to think water quality in the UK was bad....until i started working in Italy........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Lawspeaker
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I used to think water quality in the UK was bad....until i started working in Italy........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Italy... ugh.. that was dreadful. That tasted salt, man ! :eek:. I began to brush my teeth with bottled water and kept my mouth shut when taking a shower.

Albion
06-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately my girlfriend is living in Warwickshire so.. we'd probably stay there when I come over (couple of years from now).

Another thing that I noticed when I was there: water quality. We in the Netherlands we have some anal standards when it comes to water quality and the results are there: we have the best tap water in Europe. It's as good as mineral water.

But when I was in England I noticed that the water didn't taste like here and that my girlfriend used this filter to filter out the water.. and when I looked at the filter I saw that indeed particles of some kind of matter remained in it. That shocked me -- even more so because Mel told me that she always felt a bit better and healthier after having travelled here.

Lol, Dutch water Patriotism.

Water is purer in Northern England, I can walk to the source of my town's water up in the hills.

Are you planning on moving to England then? I noticed that women never seem to be as good at moving as blokes, I suppose they're more attached to family.

Is the cost of living about the same?

The Lawspeaker
06-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Within a couple of years, yes. But I have noticed that were she was the general of living was about roughly the same as here although food was a bit cheaper and so was the bus -- and taxi's were definitely a lot cheaper. Taxi's.. well going from one side of the city to another would have costed me around 17, 18 euro's here and in a city as big as Coventry (twice the size of my own city) that was around 15 pounds so. Cigarettes were very expensive though but with all the provisions like the NHS in place I think that life in Britain is generally (when you're not living in the South or in Greater London) is generally a bit cheaper.

When it comes to water she told me that it differs from region to region. Brighton seems to be awful as it seems to leave a saline taste. But I wouldn't know what it's like up north though.

dralos
02-22-2012, 09:40 PM
i really love them,nice and very friendly.and always greet you when they see you,and also are always prepared to help with most things,are known to be very tall and blonde and also have very beautiful girls

The Lawspeaker
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
bNP-UGy-6K4

Hallo Nederlandse en Vlaamse mensen!! :) Dit kanaal is alleen voor mijn Nederlandse filmpjes! Ik hoop dat je ze leuk vindt ;) Dankjewel voor SUBSCRIBING! :D En fijne dag nog xD

An American girl with a rather peculiar interest in Dutch culture and in our language and she doesn't have a drop of Dutch blood. :D It's very peculiar but very nice to look at.

Link to her channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/AmerikaanseDutchie).