PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Film Director, Vol. I

Eldritch
05-26-2011, 09:09 PM
[Thanks to Count Arnau (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/member.php?u=491) and his art threads for inspiration]

Anyway, here's the poll for greatest film director.

How you define greatness I leave up to you. ;)

I've included only directors who are no longer with us: I'll make Vol. II of the poll, for still living film directors, later.

The poll is open, and multiple choice, but I ask you not to choose more than five names from the list.

Comte Arnau
05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Eldritch, I'd say this poll is way more difficult than mine. :D

The more I see the list, the more I think it's impossible to choose just five from there, because most of them are outstanding in a way. And there are some great ones missing I won't say (but that should figure in Vol. II for sure!!)

I'm convinced the five I choose today would be different tomorrow. :D

Eldritch
05-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Okay then, let's drop the "only five" rule. ;)

(those who already voted, let me know who else you wanted to vote for, and I'll adjust the poll accordingly)

There were quite a few names I had to leave out, anyway, even though I used the maximum 40 options.

Psychonaut
05-26-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.elistmania.com/images/articles/87/Original/Stanley_Kubrick.jpg

http://www.notorietyinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Kubrick.jpg

Curtis24
05-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Why isn't Scorsese on the list?

Eldritch
05-27-2011, 12:00 AM
^ The range of genres in which Kubrick worked in is amazing enough, but that he also managed to make nearly all of his films into genre-defining masterpieces ... it's mind-boggling if you think about it. :cool:

He's still alive and kicking.

The poll for still living and working directors will come later. He'll be on there for sure.

Comte Arnau
05-27-2011, 12:05 AM

Or Coppola, or Lynch, or Allen (even if I suspect the reason here :D) and so many others... But I understand him, you have to leave good options out with the 40 limit, I know it well. :)

EDIT: Hmm, I've just seen that about the dead and alive. Forget what I said then! :D

Psychonaut
05-27-2011, 12:08 AM
^ The range of genres in which Kubrick worked in is amazing enough, but that he also managed to make nearly all of his films into genre-defining masterpieces ... it's mind-boggling if you think about it. :cool:

Aye, he's one of the only directors I can think of who's made not one, but multiple films that are absolutely perfect. Blows my mind how amazing the guy was.

Smaland
05-27-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.wearysloth.com/Directors/d3420.gif
Image displayed at aveleyman.com

Not as well known as many others, Don Siegel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Siegel) directed a number of films, including

The Shootist (1976; John Wayne's last film and one of his best),
Charley Varrick (1973),
Dirty Harry (1971),
Hell is for Heroes (1962) and others.

Clint Eastwood dedicated his film Unforgiven both Sergio Leone and Siegel.

Theatrical trailer:
Z19kXRhy0QI

BubqhqclFeI

Aces High
06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
1) Orson Welles.
2) Vittorio de sica.
3) Wim wenders.
4) Sergio leone.
5) Pedro Almodovar
6) Ken loach
7) Michael mann.
8) Helene Bertha Amalie "Leni" Riefenstahl
9) Carol reed.
10) Mario monicelli.

Agrippa
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
From this list:

Sergei Eisenstein
Stanley Kubrick

2. Akira Kurosawa

3. Alfred Hitchcock

4. D. W. Griffith (pioneer bonus)

Smaland
06-14-2011, 01:10 AM
The user who uploaded a YT video of a trailer for The Shootist has closed his account. I had linked to this video, but now it is no longer available. However, another user has posted a YT video of the same trailer:

BMboGPneLOo

supergiovane
06-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Charlie Chaplin

Jake Featherston
10-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Aye, he's one of the only directors I can think of who's made not one, but multiple films that are absolutely perfect. Blows my mind how amazing the guy was.

Yeah, its something of a cliche to cite Kubrick as one's favorite director, but damn, did the man ever do not even a bad, but just a non-blockbuster film?!?

I mean, from 1956's "The Killing," through 1999's "Eyes Wide Shut," its just 43 years of one freakin' classic after another (with the exception of 1962's "Lolita," which I only exclude because I haven't actually seen it; he has two other feature films, and some other short films which I also haven't seen, but they all pre-date 1956).

MetricSystem94
05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm surprised there is no Tarantino! :o

Jake Featherston
05-12-2012, 04:04 AM
I'm surprised there is no Tarantino! :o

Pleasantly surprised.

Lux Aeterna
05-12-2012, 04:10 AM
I like Tim Burton :angel

Dacul
05-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Why you have not added Lars von Trier also?

Pallantides
05-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Why you have not added Lars von Trier also?

I liked Dancer In The Dark, even though it left me feeling dismal, but I tend to like movies that feels like a kick in the gut.

Contra Mundum
05-12-2012, 04:36 AM
I don't know who is the greatest but I really enjoy Ridley Scott's work.

Dacul
05-12-2012, 04:40 AM
I liked Dancer In The Dark, even though it left me feeling dismal, but I tend to like movies that feels like a kick in the gut.

People consider that movie misogynistic.
But is not.
I love that movie , is wonderful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62pLY5zFTtc

Dogville is another awsome movie,a harsh irony about both mafia people and people from small villages who thinks they are better than rest of the world.

What is very lol-mode in Dogville is that there are no positive characters there.
Grace wants to become a good person,but ends being a mafia princess at the end and stepping on her father trails.

Atlantic Islander
03-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Nevermind, I didn't realize this was a thread for directors that are already dead.

I don't have a favorite then.

Mark
03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
John Cassavetes - one of the most influential directors that helped shape the style of today's film making.