PDA

View Full Version : Ethnical Group by District in Brazil - Map

Chaos One
02-27-2019, 12:56 AM
http://patadata.org/maparacial/

Blue means White, Green means Pardo/Mixed, Red means Black, Yellow means Asian (lol) and Brown means Native American.

NicodemoAS
02-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Minha cidade é bem mais branca do que é na realidade o.O
Além do mais, quero saber que é o 1 nativo que está nela

Nazarene
02-27-2019, 01:10 PM
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Peterski
02-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Which districts have highest % of Natives?

JMack
02-27-2019, 01:51 PM
The main problem in the map is that the categories are based on self-declaration and the concept of ''pardo'' is really really innacurate if we follow genetic evidence (pardos range from mulattos to 90% European individuals).The most interesting thing in this map is that it show that Brazil is sparsely populated in the inland regions and that the only significative inland populations are the ones in São Paulo and Minas Gerais countryside in the Southeast and the regions of Northeastern ''agreste''.

Also it shows that predominantly self-declared ''white'' regions follow a cline; from parts of Goiás down South people start to become progressively whiter. It also shows Minas Gerais is a microcosm of Brazil with the Northern regions being similar to the Northeast and the South-Central regions being similar to São Paulo/South. Places like Espírito Santo, Minas and Rio are part of what I call ''transitional Brazil'', a point of transition between the ''North'' and the ''South'' depending on the region you go.

I think I have a good picture of Southeastern/South Brazil since I'm from São Paulo countryside, my father's family is from Espírito Santo, part of my maternal family from Santa Catarina and I live and work in Belo Horizonte.

The map is accurate with some things I see in places I know:

if you go to Belo Horizonte (I'm living here for some years by now) and adjacent regions with higher HDI the places are overwhelmingly White, but when you start to go to the ''região metropolitana'' (the suburbs) like Contagem and similar places most are mixed race/mulattos. Something I noted in the region around Belo Horizonte/Ouro Preto since I started to live here is that people are either White or Black, with barely no signs of Amerindian admixture. It's consistent with genetic data showing that Belo Horizonte/Ouro Preto region is 2% Amerindian on average (70% Euro, 28% SSA and 2% Amerindian iirc). If more tests were done here I think we would see plenty of colonials scoring 90%+ European, people in the middle class (even lower middle class) are overwhelmingly White looking. Most of the middle classes (upper and low) seem to descend from colonial White mineiros who immigrated from the countryside or they have some recent European immigrant background.

São Paulo is curious in the map because it shows that the further from the coast the whiter it gets until reaching the borders with Centro-Oeste, where it becomes a bit Amerindian influenced. Interesting. Coastal Brazil is heavily mixed since these were the regions which were populated first by the Portuguese and their Black slaves. Rio and Espírito Santo follow a similar pattern: Whiter in the countryside and predominantly mixed on the coast.

Espírito Santo is the perfect pattern of Brazilian colonization: coastal/urban regions heavily mixed race and inland regions heavily White. I remember of walking around the mountainous region of where my grandparents came from and you barely see mixed race persons, everyone is basically White. Most of the inland regions have been populated by recent immigrants from Germany, Italy, Austria and even places like Romania and Slavic speaking countries (I have a cousin who is part Romanian and Polish).

Also interesting was to see pockets of predominantly white regions in inland northeast and recent colonized parts of the North. If colonos from South/Southeast continue to move to the North the region likely could become mostly White since most of its non-White admixture is Amerindian.

JMack
02-27-2019, 01:56 PM
By the way I think the thread title should be ''racial group by district in Brazil''. White and Black aren't ethnicities, but races.

Tenma de Pegasus
02-27-2019, 11:29 PM
I would like to see this map with whites represented by the red color. It would have a stronger effect and would help thr vizualize them in predominantly pardo areas.

Chaos One
02-28-2019, 12:14 AM
Minha cidade é bem mais branca do que é na realidade o.O
Além do mais, quero saber que é o 1 nativo que está nela

Como falado, é baseado na auto-declaração do senso. Logo, se alguém disse que era Nativo, fica desse jeito.

lisarb
02-28-2019, 03:05 PM
Como falado, é baseado na auto-declaração do senso. Logo, se alguém disse que era Nativo, fica desse jeito.

vc sabe que o governo só pergunta cor não raça ou etnia!