PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Newspaper Mocks Greece’s Financial Situation

Turkophagos
05-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Until now we all know about how German magazine Focus provoke Greeks with their unacceptable front pages (gesture of Aphrodite of Milos).
Now a Dutch free magazine is reporting that Santorini is "for sale" to the Turks!

Dutch Newspaper Mocks Greece’s Financial Situation

http://eu.greekreporter.com/files/Holland.jpg

One more provocative article about Greece and its financial situation was published today, on a Dutch free-press newspaper coversheet. The newspaper shows a picture of Santorini where the cross is replaced by a Turkish flag on top of a Greek Orthodox church.

It is also mentioned that due to Greece’s upcoming bankruptcy, Turkish investors find investments in Greece more attractive. It is a widely circulated free-press newspaper, which has lots of distribution points in train and bus stations around the country.

http://eu.greekreporter.com/2011/05/27/dutch-newspaper-mocks-greeces-financial-situation/

Wanderlust
05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
^It's a tongue-in-cheek,it's not gonna happen.We should expect that though,they'd definitely react at some point.Focus and Spiegel were truly vulgar.So no comparison.
No matter how sorry I feel about Greek people it was us who voted all these years for those morons who eventually brought Greece at this point.
Now,I truly hope Greece bankrupts asap and becomes the poorer country in EU so we can LEARN,start from the beginning,and USA et al lose their bonds and stop this cruel gambling game.I'm fed up.
They only positive thing is that Albanians started getting the hell out of here.

The Lawspeaker
06-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Ooh dear oh dear.. :rolleyes: It seems to be the latest now in advertisements and in the Dutch press (particularly De Telegraaf) to target the Greeks because of the problems usually using rousing articles and cheap, sensational headlines. But also Ireland is in severe trouble but they don't get targeted. It's probably because it is "cheap" and easy to score by pointing at the much poorer and "lazy" Greeks. I read this article in the NRC (http://www.nrcnext.nl/blog/2011/05/31/de-krant-van-woedend-nederland/?replytocom=80823) (one of the main newspapers in the country - the full article can only be found in the paper version) today that actually targeted De Telegraaf for doing so and confronting the readers with some ugly facts about their competitor. And a couple of days ago the NRC (http://www.scribd.com/doc/56510831/NRC-over-de-vooroordelen-tegen-Griekenland) confronted also De Telegraaf about it for the first time.

Ach let me just translate a couple of sentences in this brilliant article:

Headline:

Yes, the Greeks work 41 hours a week and they can no longer be exploited. (litt. "pressed out" like in pressing out olives for their oil)

The prejudices against Greece have taken up grotesque forms. Which Dutchman works three jobs to make ends meet ? The common Greek now gets footed the bill for the failures of the Greek elite - Ingeborg Breusel states.

For the majority of the Dutch media in it's current tone in articles related to Greece there is but one word: smear. ( - a smear campaign, mudslinging might also be a good translation)

Every Dutchman and German here should read it and memorise it.

Wanderlust
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
^Thanks for that,I didn't have the time to check the online papers yet.I guess there are still some decent journalists who can separate the difference between a country's financial situation and it's territorial integrity.
Because there is a big difference whether a Turk search for property in Greece or he puts his flag on top of a Greek Orthodox Church.
I'm not offended by Focus or the Dutch Newspaper which published it.As I've said thousands of times since day one here,Greeks have done some major mistakes and now pay for them but the photo above is ridiculous and never going to happen.
Yes,it's strange.Never read something similar for Ireland.I'm not talking yet for Portugal since they just started accepting help.