PDA

View Full Version : Madeira Carnival videos : How Madeirans ACTUALLY look like

Sebastianus Rex
03-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Because of some false and misleading repeatedly spread by some users on this forum who insist to portray Madeirans as octoroons I post these videos from this year Madeira's Carnival, with many thousands of people.

Among the people dancing on the parade the vast majority are local Madeirans altough some Brazilians also. Among the audidence on the stands the majority are Madeirans and Portuguese as well as some tourists from other parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD595ZBmubM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoD45-bDWk4

Sikeliot
03-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Madeirans have trace levels of Sub-Saharan DNA usually in the 1-5% range. No one says it'll show in appearance, just that nearly every Madeiran scores it and it is a legacy of the slave trade, which brought a few thousand people from Senegal, Gambia, and Guinea to the island.

Sebastianus Rex
03-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Madeirans have trace levels of Sub-Saharan DNA usually in the 1-5% range. No one says it'll show in appearance, just that nearly every Madeiran scores it and it is a legacy of the slave trade, which brought a few thousand people from Senegal, Gambia, and Guinea to the island.

Where are always writting it as if it is a scientifical fact when it is just a fallacy, not even 0.1% of the populations are genetically tested so it is obviously too soon to make those kind of generalizations about entire populations.

Even if it's truth (time will tell, but wich I doubt at least for a significant number of Madeirans), their main phenotypes are not at all mixed looking (there is a minority of exotic types of course but those exist also in the mainland and elsewhere).

Rouxinol
03-03-2019, 04:38 PM
I prefer phenotype over genotype but anyway, the samples are too small to be statistically significant and extrapolated to the whole population of Madeira. It's not like this internet DNA thing is a a proper scientific study.

Sikeliot
03-03-2019, 04:45 PM
I prefer phenotype over genotype but anyway, the samples are too small to be statistically significant and extrapolated to the whole population of Madeira. It's not like this internet DNA thing is a a proper scientific study.

I have yet to see a Madeiran not scoring any SSA on 23andme, ancestryDNA, Myheritage, yet mainlanders usually don't score it. There has to be a reason why.

lisarb
03-04-2019, 12:24 AM
Because of some false and misleading repeatedly spread by some users on this forum who insist to portray Madeirans as octoroons I post these videos from this year Madeira's Carnival, with many thousands of people.

Among the people dancing on the parade the vast majority are local Madeirans altough some Brazilians also. Among the audidence on the stands the majority are Madeirans and Portuguese as well as some tourists from other parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD595ZBmubM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoD45-bDWk4

parece que estão imitando os desfiles do rio de janeiro

Sebastianus Rex
03-04-2019, 12:35 AM
parece que estão imitando os desfiles do rio de janeiro

Well guess where the Rio carnival comes from.:lightbul:

Outro carnaval com forte expressividade em Portugal é o da Ilha da Madeira, de onde acredita-se que saiu a tradição que chegou ao Brasil colonial e deu origem ao nosso carnaval. O festejo, na ilha, conta com dois grandes cortejos: o alegórico e o trapalhão.

O alegórico acontece no sábado à noite e é mais sofisticado, com a participação de grupos organizados e figurantes. As ruas se enchem com milhares de participantes fantasiados, dançando ao som das bandas de samba. Já na terça-feira é a vez do cortejo “trapalhão”, que é mais informal e aberto a quem queira participar, com muita sátira popular e foliões curtindo livremente

lisarb
03-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Well guess where the Rio carnival comes from.:lightbul:

o do rio é bem original os portugueses estão apenas o imitando, as ilhas tem pouca influencia no brasil!

dançando samba hahahaha

Incal
03-04-2019, 12:48 AM
Where are always writting it as if it is a scientifical fact when it is just a fallacy, not even 0.1% of the populations are genetically tested so it is obviously too soon to make those kind of generalizations about entire populations.

I do agree.

Sebastianus Rex
03-04-2019, 12:49 AM
o do rio é bem original os portugueses estão apenas o imitando, as ilhas tem pouca influencia no brasil!

dançando samba hahahaha
:picard1:
It's so pointless to discuss with you about anything...go read a book or do something to educate yourself.

nafz
03-04-2019, 12:51 AM
What I see is hot looking women dancing while wearing skimpy outfits. I approve :thumb001:

Damião de Góis
03-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Yes people from Madeira are one of the many peoples that are poorly portraited here. I once read Sikeliot saying Madeira was like Puerto Rico (or was it Dominican Republic?). :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWydK-CmFE4

lisarb
03-04-2019, 01:26 AM
:picard1:
It's so pointless to discuss with you about anything...go read a book or do something to educate yourself.

dançando samba hahahaha algo bem português, sem falar nos carros alegóricos e mulheres com penas!

Incal
03-04-2019, 02:02 AM
Yes people from Madeira are one of the many peoples that are poorly portraited here. I once read Sikeliot saying Madeira was like Puerto Rico (or was it Dominican Republic?). :rolleyes:

Really? LMAO

Latinus
03-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Very standard Southern Euro people, just by the first video I notice the lack of exotic/darker than average people, which you see a lot among footballers.

Kamal900
03-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Pretty looking wahmen.

alnortedelsur
03-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Most of them very "standard Euro" looking, with their Iberian/Portuguese vibe, of course.

I can also confirm this from my experience with Portuguese-Venezuelans, who are mostly of Madeiran origin.

Very far from octoroonish, or anything of those dumb stereotypes.

Sikeliot
03-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Very far from octoroonish, or anything of those dumb stereotypes.

No one said they look octoroonish just that they have typically 1-5% SSA DNA which is too small to show phenotypically.

Hyoga7
03-05-2019, 09:28 AM
No one said they look octoroonish just that they have typically 1-5% SSA DNA which is too small to show phenotypically.

For the sake of imagination, let's say Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro takes a DNA test.
Any guesses on how much SSA would it show?
> 23andme; MyHeritage; FTDNA; others.