PDA

View Full Version : Which accents are most different from the others; English, Irish, Scottish, or Welsh?

Sikeliot
05-31-2011, 10:06 PM
There are variations within each place, but on average which group of accents is the most strikingly different from the others; English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish?

Efim45
05-31-2011, 10:16 PM
English, Scottish and Irish are easy for me, but Welsh is friggin' hard.

Bloodeagle
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Scottish seems the hardest for me to understand, some people there don't even sound as if they are speaking English, but then again I am not familiar with the Welsh accent

Sikeliot
05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Idk how well I worded the question but it's supposed to be which British Isles group of accents is most different from the other 3.

All the Welsh I've heard btw, sound pretty English to me and not so much like Scottish or Irish.

Breedingvariety
06-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Scottish dialect is the most distinct. English English could be further divided in to Northern English and Southern English. Northerners are considered to be more barbaric and Southerners are considered to be soft. Also, there is West Country dialect in the Southwest of England. They are considered farmers. Welsh are considered backwater. English like jokes about Wales. Also, there is East London dialect. Recently it is very much influenced by immigrants accents, especially Afro-Caribbean accents. It could be considered Ghetto English. There are two directions from Southeast and East of England: Western and Northern. IMO, Northern direction have more significant changes in dialects.

IRISH ACCENT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5FJvMaimJQ

Bridie
06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Scots and Irish are equally the standout from English accents (and there are so many English accents!). Welsh just sounds like another English accent to me, no more distinctive than say, the Cornish or Liverpudlians or the Geordies to name a few.

Aces High
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
English dialects and accents are the most different and diverse.Each county has its own particular accent and use of words.
Yorkshire is different from Lancashire which it borders which is different from Mersyside which is different from the home counties which is different from the west country etc etc.

Aelred
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Ow bist thee owd jockey?

Aces High
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
The worst accent by far by the way must be the Birmingham, brummie accent......in fact it isnt even an accent its 1 million people with a speach impediment.

(just think ozzy osbourne......."sharun....fukin elllll")

Bridie
06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I really don't like the "west country" accent much despite (or maybe because of) being able to detect some similarities between it and the Australian accent. However, I quite like the cockney accent and most English tell me that this sounds most similar to the Aussie accent for them. :D

Arthur Scharrenhans
06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Scottish accent, without doubt. It's unmistakable.
(BTW, I love listening to it, even when I cannot understand a single word).

Albion
08-14-2011, 06:18 PM
There is no English accent. Northern English is quite close to Scottish, Southern English accents are totally different, unique in the Isles.

Irish is quite close to Scottish and lesser so Northern English and Welsh is very different from the lot of them.

Probably the Welsh followed by the Southern English, followed by Northern English, followed by Scottish then Irish.
Irish and Scottish being so similar means they're not so different after all.

Source: British Islander.

Canute
08-14-2011, 06:55 PM
English dialects and accents are the most different and diverse.

Black Country dialect is impossible. And I don't think I'm saying that just because I'm an American.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/If_yowm_saft_enuff.jpg

rhiannon
08-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Scots and Irish are equally the standout from English accents (and there are so many English accents!). Welsh just sounds like another English accent to me, no more distinctive than say, the Cornish or Liverpudlians or the Geordies to name a few.

Yep. Same here. I don't know if I would know a Welsh accent if it knocked me upside the head! I believe somewhere it mentioned Anthony Hopkins as being Welsh, which might mean his accent is Welsh?

I cannot differentiate Irish from Scottish to save my life. But, I can tell the accent is either one or the other over English.

Ęscwyn
08-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I think a Welsh accent sounds less 'foreign' here in SW England than a northern English accent. But maybe that's just my perception?

A few weeks ago, on a bus, I overheard a couple of girls from Lancashire chatting. Their accents immediately struck me as being 'different' - having a quality of otherness. Yet in the past when I've heard Welshmen talking their accents never seemed particularly out of place.

Osweo
08-14-2011, 07:58 PM
As a Manchester Man, I'm roughly equidistant in spatial terms from all the most striking accents. I don't have much trouble with any of them.

Therefore, my accent should be the ideal that all foreigners aim for! :lol:

Some comments: When I first heard a County Durham accent, I was surprised at how 'Irish' it sounded. The Irish way of speaking English is, after all, only a relatively recent learned thing. For some reason, the English they learnt first is somewhat redolent of that now spoken in Durham, AND in Devon, funnily enough. Perhaps this style was more widespread in the past, especially among English soldiers stationed in Ireland. :shrug:

Scottish English is part of a continuum that includes Northern England. Nothing too amazing there. Glaswegian follows the pattern that many urban dialects do. Up round Dundee and Aberdeen there's a very peculiar form though. Weird Pictish tones. :p

Welsh accents are often the most 'foreign' due to the strength of the native language. The dialects of English there have some grammatical influence from Welsh. They're still pretty easy to understand, though. For me, anyway. :p

Logan
08-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I would have ticked Glaswegian had it been there. There are many different ones in the places listed.

Amapola
08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
The easiest for me to understand is the Southern accent. Most difficult Sco'ish. I had some trouble with Welsh too at first...

Graham
08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Scottish English is part of a continuum that includes Northern England. Nothing too amazing there. Glaswegian follows the pattern that many urban dialects do. Up round Dundee and Aberdeen there's a very peculiar form though. Weird Pictish tones. :p

Fit like? Those areas kind of merge into Central Scotland, Fife, falkirk down to West Lothian.

The word Bairn( northumbrian/Scottish word). Pronounced 'ben' in Newcastle 'bayr-rin' here. My Geordie family strugle to understand folk up here when speaking in a strong accent. The accent down there can sound easily differen't to mine. More Viking. :P

btw, apparently we say Burglar alarm in a weird way, but I say it's you lot. :cool:
S5WFl4E8VCI

Mordid
08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Scottish accent sound so funny (no offense to Graham).

Treffie
08-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Doric and Shetlandic (Graham posted these years ago) sound like different languages, let alone different accents :p

jLOH8sKzudc

Xfzaa0Ly1kk

Albion
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I think a Welsh accent sounds less 'foreign' here in SW England than a northern English accent. But maybe that's just my perception?

A few weeks ago, on a bus, I overheard a couple of girls from Lancashire chatting. Their accents immediately struck me as being 'different' - having a quality of otherness. Yet in the past when I've heard Welshmen talking their accents never seemed particularly out of place.

The only authentic (and not a SE settler) SW person I can think of is that guy from time team who talks like a farmer.
The SW accent sounds similar to some archaic farmers around here in Cheshire. SW accent is farm-speak! :p

Absinthe
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
jLOH8sKzudc

:eek: You gotta be kiddin'me! :D

Pardon me, but if I close my eyes I think it's some Hindu guy speaking! :D

Graham
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
:eek: You gotta be kiddin'me! :D

Pardon me, but if I close my eyes I think it's some Hindu guy speaking! :D
:D
That's actualy true. I always thought the Aberdonian accent can sound kind of indian. That's more of an extreme he's speaking, most folk don't speak like that, but the accents still the same.

The Shetland video's easy to understand apart from the place names.