PDA

View Full Version : Balkan definition

nittionia
03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
How does the definition make you feel? Do you agree with it? Would you add or take away countries? Genuinely curious to hear from Balkan members.
https://i.imgur.com/drLCW97.png
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/balkan-states

Aspirin
03-08-2019, 06:47 PM
"Croatia/Slovenia"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC5jI2pJ114

Moje ime
03-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Without Turkey and Slovenia (but Slovenia is so small anyway that nobody even notice where it is in definition). Croats - as they wish.

Geographically Balkan border in ex Yugoslavia is river Sava and river Danube. So according to that northern part of Croatia and northern part of Serbia are not Balkan. That makes sense because they were predominantly culturally influenced by Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Ülev
03-08-2019, 08:15 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Balkany,+Obw%C3%B3d+czelabi%C5%84ski,+Rosja,+45766 1/@53.4395163,59.5860105,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x43d11174918baa63:0x784c4 c715c7c846a!8m2!3d53.4380839!4d59.6079974
if don't work, type: Балканы, Россия

TheMaestro
03-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Balkan is a place where you use "bre" in every sentence.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Continental Croatia isn't Balkan (only Dalmatia), and Vojvodina isn't Balkan; neither is Slovenia or Turkey or the Greek Islands (only mainland Greece is Balkan). Rest of the countries in the list are Balkan

TheMaestro
03-08-2019, 08:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AHpIoVJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Cx8zJrO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JbtzGT9.jpg

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 08:58 PM
We had this topic already one million times.

From the geographical point of view it´s the line between Trieste and Odessa.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2mosgmp.jpg

Culturally are Croatia, the Vojvodina and some parts of Bosnia Central European and/or Italian influenced.

nittionia
03-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Continental Croatia isn't Balkan (only Dalmatia), and Vojvodina isn't Balkan; neither is Slovenia or Turkey or the Greek Islands (only mainland Greece is Balkan). Rest of the countries in the list are Balkan

Is this how a lot of Balkan people think? For example, I've only heard of the Balkans (in America) as the definition I posted in the OP, minus Turkey. I'm not really sure what to think about it, not that the label itself is that strict for me anyways.

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Is this how a lot of Balkan people think? For example, I've only heard of the Balkans (in America) as the definition I posted in the OP, minus Turkey. I'm not really sure what to think about it, not that the label itself is that strict for me anyways.

Visit Croatia (best Zagreb) and one day later (central/south) Serbia or Bulgaria. You will see that it is an entire different world.

Ayetooey

No one really agrees on these things but I'd never heard of Slovenia or Turkey being Balkan till I came to apricity; Greek islands are also never considered Balkan since they're not geographically part of the Balkans. The two points of mine which are contested the most are the border lines within North Croatia and North Serbia.

Moje ime
We had this topic already one million times.

From the geographical point of view it´s the line between Trieste and Odessa.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2mosgmp.jpg

Culturally are Croatia, the Vojvodina and some parts of Bosnia Central European and/or Italian influenced.

Push that line southern, if Zagreb is counted in Central Europe, Novi Sad deserves the same by everything.

Ford
03-08-2019, 09:04 PM
The part of Europe where you can find burek or baklava.

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Push that line southern, if Zagreb is counted in Central Europe, Novi Sad deserves the same by everything.

Read the text below. I can´t change geographical facs xD.

Moje ime
03-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Read the text below. I can´t change geographical facs xD.

I said geographic fact about rivers Sava and Danube.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Visit Croatia (best Zagreb) and one day later (central/south) Serbia or Bulgaria. You will see that it is an entire different world.

Or better yet, visit Zagreb, and then Kijevo. These lines transcend borders.

Seya
03-08-2019, 09:06 PM
Balkan is a place where you use "bre" in every sentence.

true :laugh:

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
Balkan is where Turkish boot stepped in Europe. Simple as that.

Moje ime
true :laugh:

Romainans use word "bre"?

Ford
03-08-2019, 09:07 PM

So everything up to Vienna? :rolleyes:

Seya
03-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Romainans use word "bre"?

all the time :lol:

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:09 PM
So everything up to Vienna? :rolleyes:

Yes

''Balkans starts east from Viennese Central Station'' - old Austrian saying :laugh:

Not Zagreb area or coastal Croatia though, or Slovenia. We remained free from Ottoman infection

Ford
03-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Yes

''Balkans starts east from Viennese Central Station'' - old Austrian saying

Not Zagreb area or coastal Croatia though, or Slovenia. We remained free from Ottoman infection

lol

pulstar
How does the definition make you feel?
Neutral

Do you agree with it?
Yes

Would you add or take away countries?
No

Maks Luburic

Pray that Kis doesn´t read that xD

Moje ime
all the time :lol:

Didn't know that.

That word is more common for Serbia (central and southern). I don't think it is common in Bosnia. Probably is related to Torlakian dialect.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
I will say I think the Balkans is an utterly redundant name, which implies shared cultural and social norms based off a negative (the colonisation of the region by the Ottoman Turks); the Ottoman empire is long gone, and I think using pure geographic terms like "south-east Europe" and "Central europe" is a lot more logical.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Balkan

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/OttomanEmpireMain.png

Seya
03-08-2019, 09:13 PM
Didn't know that.

That word is more common for Serbia (central and southern). I don't think it is common in Bosnia. Probably is related to Torlakian dialect.

i don't know what's the origin of this word but yes, it is very much used

Mikula

Large part of Hungary (includes some parts of nowadays Slovakia) were under Ottoman rule too. But nobody consider Hungary and Slovakia as a Balkan countries

Ford
Didn't know that.

Never heard anyone in Bosnia use bre. Bolan, bona and ba is typically used instead.

Dušan
Without Turkey and Slovenia (but Slovenia is so small anyway that nobody even notice where it is in definition). Croats - as they wish.

Geographically Balkan border in ex Yugoslavia is river Sava and river Danube. So according to that northern part of Croatia and northern part of Serbia are not Balkan. That makes sense because they were predominantly culturally influenced by Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Austro-Hungarian Empire collapsed before 100 years, and large demographic changes occured during this 100 years.
Lot of people with origins from south of Sava and Danube, now live north of that two rivers.
I think that definition of border is outdated.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
03-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Geographically when someone mentions the Balkans I think of the Balkan Peninsula. Culturally though, I tend to think of Western Balkans (ex-Yugoslavia nations and Albania/Kosovo). I don't think of Romania, Bulgaria and Greece as Balkan per se.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Geographically when someone mentions the Balkans I think of the Balkan Peninsula. Culturally though, I tend to think of Western Balkans (ex-Yugoslavia nations and Albania/Kosovo). I don't think of Romania, Bulgaria and Greece as Balkan per se.

Bulgaria is epitome of Balkan, and Balkan mountain lies there.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Large part of Hungary (includes some parts of nowadays Slovakia) were under Ottoman rule too. But nobody consider Hungary and Slovakia as a Balkan countries

Than do me a favor and leave out Slovenia and Croatia from Balkan too.

03-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Bulgaria is epitome of Balkan, and Balkan mountain lies there.

I took into consideration two aspects, geography and culture. Culturally I don't tend to associate Bulgaria with the Balkan sphere.

Moje ime
03-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Austro-Hungarian Empire collapsed before 100 years, and large demographic changes occured during this 100 years.
Lot of people with origins from south of Sava and Danube, now live north of that two rivers.
I think that definition of border is outdated.

Yes but I reffer primary to architecture that resembles central European, to geography (no mountains, Balkan is known by mountains) and minorities who, with Vojvodina native Serbs, give specific mentality to Vojvodina people.

Ülev
03-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Never heard anyone in Bosnia use bre. Bolan, bona and ba is typically used instead.

can we finally add Poland to the club? :rolleyes:
https://so.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:18 PM
I took into consideration two aspects, geography and culture. Culturally I don't tend to associate Bulgaria with the Balkan sphere.

There is hardly any culture more Balkanic than Bulgarian, probably only Albania is more Balkan in culture than Bulgaria is.

Mikula
03-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Than do me a favor and leave out Slovenia and Croatia from Balkan too.

I did not say that.
It was your words: Balkan is where Turkish boot stepped in Europe. Simple as that.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Bulgaria is the most balkanic country out of all of them, it has no other recent influences; even Bosnia can claim Austro-Hungarian heritage.

The term Balkan is coined after a mountain in Bulgaria.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:21 PM
I did not say that.
It was your words: Balkan is where Turkish boot stepped in Europe. Simple as that.

Because Balkans meant Turkey in Europe, and nothing more than that until late 19th century.

Moje ime
03-08-2019, 09:24 PM
can we finally add Poland to the club? :rolleyes:
https://so.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boland

Đe si bolan? :D

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
How does the definition make you feel?

Bored.

Bulgaria is the most balkanic country out of all of them, it has no other recent influences; even Bosnia can claim Austro-Hungarian heritage.

Not from my (Western) perspective, which can be misguided. Usually on the news you will see people refering to ex-Yugoslavia and Albania as Balkan in here. Romania, Bulgaria and Greece have their own thing going on and they don't seem so culturally intertwined as the West of the peninsula.

ixulescu

In Romania, bă and mă are used more often in informal speech than bre.
Bre is used solely to address old people, in a rather disrespectful manner.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Not from my (Western) perspective, which can be misguided. Usually on the news you will see people refering to ex-Yugoslavia and Albania as Balkan in here. Romania, Bulgaria and Greece have their own thing going on and they don't seem so culturally intertwined as the West of the peninsula.

It just hows your extreme ignorance. Let's be honest, you associate these countries with Balkan because of recent wars. It has absolutely nothing to do with culture.

Visit Slovenia or Croatia, than visit Bulgaria and northern Greece and tell me with straight face who is more culturally Balkan.

Your post is most ridiculous one in this thread.

Ice
03-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Balkan = shithole countries (slovenia is probably the only exception)

Dorian
03-08-2019, 09:31 PM
:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISqAzdXwULI&t=1s

03-08-2019, 09:33 PM
It just hows your extreme ignorance. Let's be honest, you associate these countries with Balkan because of recent wars. It has absolutely nothing to do with culture.

Visit Slovenia or Croatia, than visit Bulgaria and northern Greece and tell me with straight face who is more culturally Balkan.

No, I am basing it on cultural aspects. You on the other hand (and several other members) are biased and try to push agendas due to internal conflicts, some of you want to be perceived as Central Europeans, others as Southerners, others as Balkan and so on. From a foreigner perspective you are more similar to one another and sometimes even indistinguishable rather than completely different cultures.

Dorian
03-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Balkan = amazing countries (slovenia is probably the only exception as its shithole)

Fixed

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Western, lulz. Usually on the news you will see nobody is referring to Portugal as Western.

Ford
03-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Slovenia and Zagreb are Balkan and Tirana is the heart of central Europe.

ixulescu
03-08-2019, 09:36 PM

He explains that this is the Western perspective, and he is right. Westerners do not know the Balkans for anything else than the conflicts from the 1990s.

Also architecture is just one aspect of culture. But if we look at other aspects, I see plenty of evidence on this forum that Croats and Hungarians mentality is mostly Balkanic.

03-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Western, lulz. Usually on the news you will see nobody is referring to Portugal as Western.

Southern, Southwestern, African, whatever suits you. My point was the perspective of a foreigner, you don't have to be super sensitive about it.

Dorian
He explains that this is the Western perspective, and he is right. Westerners do not know the Balkans for anything other than the conflicts from the 1990s.

Also architecture is just one aspect of culture. But if we look at other aspects, I see plenty of evidence on this forum that Croats and Hungarians mentality is mostly Balkanic.

Diz iz offensive!we must teach those westerners to talk better about uz ,we wuz centralz.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
He explains that this is the Western perspective, and he is right. Westerners do not know the Balkans for anything other than the conflicts from the 1990s.

Who mentioned architecture ? History is what counts.

Your opinion is normal because you are Romanian- and Hungarians are your enemies. You are friendly with Serbs as well, and Croats are their enemies.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:39 PM

I always learned Portugal is western Europe. But southern at the same time. Western Europe includes West Mediterranean anyway.
they're on Atlantic tho xD

03-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Diz iz offensive!we must teach those westerners to talk better about uz ,we wuz centralz.

Yeah, we refer to Croatia as the "honorary Germanic nation situated in Central Europe" as every Croatian member demands to be known as, we never associate it with Balkan peninsula and the first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions Croatia isn't Bosnia-Herzegovina or Serbia, I immediately think of Germany and Austria.

Dušan
Yes but I reffer primary to architecture that resembles central European, to geography (no mountains, Balkan is known by mountains) and minorities who, with Vojvodina native Serbs, give specific mentality to Vojvodina people.

I just want to say that differences between two parts of Serbia are exegerated, since a close to million of Balkan Serbs now live north of Sava and Danube (in Vojvodina and northern part of Belgrade).

We do not feel any differences from our brothers and sisters south of that two rivers.

lonewolfcypriot
Balkans is south of the Dunube. Romania+Moldovo is not Balkan.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Yeah, we refer to Croatia as the "honorary Germanic nation situated in Central Europe" as every Croatian member demands to be known as, we never associate it with Balkan peninsula and the first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions Croatia isn't Bosnia-Herzegovina or Serbia, I immediately think of Germany and Austria.

Dude, you're pathetic and probably butthurt because Dinamo defeated Benfica yesterday. I don't give a fuck about Germanics and I don't like you twisting Central Europe into being ''Germanic'' :rolleyes:
Yes, majority of Croatia in Danube Plain is situated in Central Europe, has such history and genetics.

I never understood obsession of some members here to force me to say we are some uber Balkan country.

Seriously, did some Croatian member insulted your mothers or something ? Where the fuck is this hostility coming from ? Most people there know absolutely nothing about you.

Dorian
03-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Datzrite!my love to Portuguese people for being so educated...

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Fixed

Keep coping to feel better. Slovenia is best country in former communist block and better than Greece in pretty much every aspect except climate. Proud to be half Slovenian man.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Southern, Southwestern, African, whatever suits you. My point was the perspective of a foreigner, you don't have to be super sensitive about it.

I knew it would make me look sensitive about it, but there is no reason for me to be sensitive about anything. As a matter of fact I didn't even give a shit it would make me look sensitive. I can't stand hypocrites and if that makes me sensitive then I am sensitive.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Datzrite!my love to Portuguese people for being so educated...

Never seen Croatian member saying Croatia is Germanic, that's a lie he wrote because his thesis how Bulgaria is culturally non Balkan but Croatia or Slovenia is has no support.
Most of Germanic people have nothing to do with Central Europe apart from Austrians and some regions of Germany.

Central Europe is more Slavic than Germanic.

03-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Dude, you're pathetic and probably butthurt because Dinamo defeated Benfica yesterday. I don't give a fuck about Germanics and I don't like you twisting Central Europe into being ''Germanic'' :rolleyes:
Yes, majority of Croatia in Danube Plain is situated in Central Europe, has such history and genetics.

I never understood obsession of some members here to force me to say we are some uber Balkan country.

Seriously, did some Croatian member insulted your mothers or something ? Where the fuck is this hostility coming from ? Most people there know absolutely nothing about you.

Lets see what Dinamo can do in Lisbon then, Benfica played with its B team. This has nothing to do with the match anyway.

I didn't insult Croatia or Croatians though, as far as I am concerned saying that someone is Balkan isn't an insult even though for some people it seems to be because they become super sensitive about it. I don't care if Croatia is geographically not in the Balkan Peninsula because I was addressing cultural aspects. With whom do you have more in common with if not with your Western Balkan neighbors?

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Lets see what Dinamo can do in Lisbon then, Benfica played with its B team. This has nothing to do with the match anyway.

I didn't insult Croatia or Croatians though, as far as I am concerned saying that someone is Balkan isn't an insult even though for some people it seems to be because they become super sensitive about it. I don't care if Croatia is geographically not in the Balkan Peninsula because I was addressing cultural aspects. With whom do you have more in common with if not with your Western Balkan neighbors?

Your post is insulting itself, so I won't reply.

Dorian
03-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Keep coping to feel better. Slovenia is best country in former communist block and better than Greece in pretty much every aspect except climate. Proud to be half Slovenian man.

We wuz westernish noblez with elegant architecture instead of tribalistic mountain peoplez!

Dorian
03-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Never seen Croatian member saying Croatia is Germanic, that's a lie he wrote because his thesis how Bulgaria is culturally non Balkan but Croatia or Slovenia is has no support.
Most of Germanic people have nothing to do with Central Europe apart from Austrians and some regions of Germany.

It's probably just an hyperbole.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 09:57 PM
We wuz westernish noblez with elegant architecture instead of tribalistic mountain peoplez!

Obviously it bothers you if you mention it so much. You won't see me commenting on Greece because I don't care.

Yes, you got inferiority complexes towards me because your country was ruled by non-Europeans for centuries.

nittionia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbYBySiiTM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/8m4R4pvViWtRzbloJ1/giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c82f23a7833754d59130c0d

Insuperable
I always learned Portugal is western Europe. But southern at the same time. Western Europe includes West Mediterranean anyway.
they're on Atlantic tho xD

Portugal is southern like Central Italy. North Italy is Central Europe. France is Western Europe. It is just a perspective of a foreigner.

I knew it would make me look sensitive about it, but there is no reason for me to be sensitive about anything. As a matter of fact I didn't even give a shit it would make me look sensitive. I can't stand hypocrites and if that makes me sensitive then I am sensitive.

How am I an hypocrite for giving my perspective? Don't get me wrong, I get the Balkan perspective, you had a devastating war that left many wounds open and you don't want to be associated with one another even though (yet again from my perspective) you have more things in common than differences. Perhaps if we had a war between the different ethnic groups in Iberia we would be by now all saying that Portugueses, Castilians, Galicians, Catalans and Basques are all super different culturally and we would as well get pissed to be associated with one another but the truth is at the end of the day that we are all Iberians like it or not.

Ice
Hungary is "more balkanic" than slovenia imo.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 09:59 PM
How am I an hypocrite for giving my perspective? Don't get me wrong, I get the Balkan perspective, you had a devastating war that left many wounds open and you don't want to be associated with one another even though (yet again from my perspective) you have more things in common than differences. Perhaps if we had a war between the different ethnic groups in Iberia we would be by now all saying that Portugueses, Castilians, Galicians, Catalans and Basques are all super different culturally and we would as well get pissed to be associated with one another but the truth is at the end of the day that we are all Iberians like it or not.

You still don't get it? Don't you? You are writing all that to the wrong person. I know we have more things in common than differences. A lot more.

Joso
03-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Is there any Slavic influence in Austria?

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Hungary is "more balkanic" than slovenia imo.

They have both nothing to do with it.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:03 PM

Ottoman occupation culturally influenced countries it ruled (mostly in negative way) and that is why people who were never under their occupation don't want association with lands that were.
Before that there was very significant division on Western Christian and Byzantine sphere. Iberia never had divisions like that.

03-08-2019, 10:03 PM
You still don't get it? Don't you? You are writing all that to the wrong person. I know we have more things in common than differences.

So your only issue was with me refering to myself or Portugal as Western? Alright.

Roy
03-08-2019, 10:05 PM
The part of Europe where you can find burek or baklava.

This x 100.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:05 PM

Yes, mostly from Slovenians.

Roy
03-08-2019, 10:06 PM

There are some often heavily Germanized Slovenians in Styria.

Dorian
03-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Obviously it bothers you if you mention it so much. You won't see me commenting on Greece because I don't care.

Yes, you got inferiority complexes towards me because your country was ruled by non-Europeans for centuries.

Now you sound like a typical hardcore-TAer(self explanatory) and you didn't seem that way.
Inferiority complex ?lol I don't care it's just part of our history like Rome and Byzantium,In fact I prefer balkano-anatolism to western cuckism,as If most of you western fetishits descend from some kind of inbred noble family or something which again wouldn't say something unless you prove to be worthy of any title.
Not bothered,it's just funny,just see the post you just replied to understand why.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:07 PM
There are some heavily Germanized Slovenians in Styria.

And Carinthia. Also Croats in Burgerland. In Vienna lot of Czechs lived.

But Austrians despise Slavs much more than Germans do.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Now you sound like a typical hardcore-TAer(self explanatory) and you didn't seem that way.
Inferiority complex ?lol I don't care it's just part of our history like Rome and Byzantium,In fact I prefer balkano-anatolism to western cuckism,as If most of you western fetishits descend from some kind of inbred noble family or something which again wouldn't say something unless you prove to be worthy of any title.
Not bothered,it's just funny,just see the post you just replied to understand why.

I get it man. I would be much more accepting of Balkan if it wasn't forced down my throat. It makes counter-effect.

Roy
03-08-2019, 10:12 PM

I didn't know they despise Slavic people.

Wow, this double Croat - German sign is intriguing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Gro%C3%9Fwarasdorf_%28Ortstafel%29.jpg

They're apparently more numerous than I'd think, some estimate their number for up to 50 thousands.

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 10:13 PM

One of them is btw the Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz. His family-name was for sure Matešić/c in previous generations.

https://tubestatic.orf.at/static/images/site/tube/20180310/20170516_pd4353.hr.5722952.jpg

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 10:13 PM
I get it man. I would be much more accepting of Balkan if it wasn't forced down my throat. It makes counter-effect.

You see it as forcing down your throat because you don't see Balkans as anything positive. There is nothing wrong with the Balkans. Except Muslims.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:15 PM
I didn't know they despise Slavic people.

Wow, this double Croat - German sign is intriguing.
They're apparently more numerous than I'd think, some estimate their number for up to 50 thousands.

There were more before, many are germanized now.

I always had such bad experiences with Austrians bro, no matter if I visited with my Slovenian or Croatian relatives. They were always so fucking hostile, especially when they heards us speaking Slavic language.

LMAO should have counted how many dirty looks from old people I received in Austria when they learned I am Slav :laugh:

Joso
Yes, mostly from Slovenians.

Why Southern Germany and Austria have many persons of the dinarid phenotype? Are they related to the Balkans or not necessarly?

Maks Luburic
You see it as forcing down your throat because you don't see Balkans as anything positive. There is nothing wrong with the Balkans. Except Muslims.

Your´e right. That´s why I left it.

Insuperable
One of them is btw the Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz. His family-name was for sure Matešić/c in previous generations.

https://tubestatic.orf.at/static/images/site/tube/20180310/20170516_pd4353.hr.5722952.jpg

No, he is not. His parents are from Zadar.

Ice
03-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Many austrians have slavic features.

Slavs have real chance to take austria and hungary over in the future.. You can add eastern germany too.

Vožd
03-08-2019, 10:17 PM

Vist north Croatia and south Croatia - different worlds also.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:17 PM

That's not true mate, I see some positives but there are other negative things like Turbo-Folk.

Positives: no LBGT, refugees welcome :laugh:

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 10:18 PM
No, he is not. His parents are from Zadar.

Are you sure? This Austrian/German source claims him as "Burgenlandkroate" (Burgenlandcroat):

http://www.wikiwand.com/de/Burgenlandkroaten

03-08-2019, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4sxLgiAGA

Slavoj Zizek, one of me favourite modern philosophers from ex-Yugoslavia even though we are not politically aligned sumarizes pretty well the topic being discussed in this thread.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 10:20 PM
Are you sure? This Austrian/German source claims him as "Burgenlandkroate" (Burgenlandcroat):

http://www.wikiwand.com/de/Burgenlandkroaten

Yes. His parents emigrated from Diklo, Zadar.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Why Southern Germany and Austria have many persons of the dinarid phenotype? Are they related to the Balkans or not necessarly?

Maybe prehistoric Balkanite migrations ? xD

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Vist north Croatia and south Croatia - different worlds also.

I agree.

But south Croatia is very mediterranean and pretty different from Balkans. Unless you visit Zagora, but rarely foreigners go there.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 10:24 PM
That's not true mate, I see some positives but there are other negative things like Turbo-Folk.

Would somebody force Nordicness or whatever down your throat I doubt you would have the same reaction as forcing Balkan down your throat. You wouldn't even want to see positives and negatives.

The Blade
Geographically most of these states have part or all of their territory located on the Balkan peninsula:
https://study.com/cimages/videopreview/videopreview-full/screen_shot_2015-03-08_at_11.06.28_pm_138062.jpg
Bulgaria, mainland Greece, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro and Macedonia are Balkan areas.
Croatia and Serbia are partly such.
Slovenia is counted as a Balkan country only by some definitions and located only to an extent on the peninsula.
European Turkey's case is clear.
Some rates include Trieste and Monfalcone as part of the Balkans (0,1% of Italian lands, in other words) but, of course, Italy is by no means a Balkan country.
Romania is mostly located outside the peninsula, too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans#Balkan_Peninsula

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4sxLgiAGA

Slavoj Zizek, one of me favourite modern philosophers from ex-Yugoslavia even though we are not politically aligned sumarizes pretty well the topic being discussed in this thread.

lmao, he has a point xD

Vožd
03-08-2019, 10:25 PM

I dont why Croats think that Ottoman period is crucial and only important for Balkan?
This is not what defined Balkan.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Would somebody force Nordicness or whatever down your throat I doubt you would have the same reaction as forcing Balkan down your throat. You wouldn't even want to see positives and negatives.

Bro, I wouldn't want associate with Nords, they are leftards and Protestants.

You got few trolls here calling me a Kraut and I didn't take it as a compliment (even if I like Germans), because I am proud of who I am (Slovene/Croat/Czech). By identity, only Croat.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Kay then.

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 10:28 PM

It´s not "many". The NSDAP racial theorist Hans F. K. Günther approximated the distribution of Dinarids in South Germany (except Austria) to maximum 3% of pure Dinarids.

I am living in the south of Germany and I can tell you that Dinarids have almost completely disappeared nowdays. Alpine and Subnorid is predominant here (at least 60-70%).

Vožd
03-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Only because this is Bulgaria "most Balkanic"

Dorian
03-08-2019, 10:30 PM

Even that means nothing,only your perception of it is negative.We have similar Greeks here who don't like our own turbofolk but If people like it,what's the problem?seems like not everyone is capable of appreciating Mozart.
Westerners have their own "trash"(I don't see it that way,just making a connection) music too but whatever..

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:30 PM
I dont why Croats think that Ottoman period is crucial and only important for Balkan?
This is not what defined Balkan.

Because Balkan is a Turkish word.

Ice
03-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Actually the balkan region was heartland of the ottoman empire. even anatolia was less important(less ottoman) than balkans.

Joso
03-08-2019, 10:32 PM
It´s not "many". The NSDAP racial theorist Hans F. K. Günther approximated the distribution of Dinarids in South Germany (except Austria) to maximum 3% of pure Dinarids.

I am living in the south of Germany and I can tell you that Dinarids have almost completely disappeared nowdays. Alpine and Subnorid is predominant here (at least 60-70%).

What about Italy? Italy have a considerable number of dinarids and dianrid influenced persons, specially in the Northeast but in other regions too, to less extent i think. Many famous ancient Romans seemed to be strongly dinarid influenced too

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Even that means nothing,only your perception of it is negative.We have similar Greeks here who don't like our own turbofolk but If people like it,what's the problem?seems like not everyone is capable of appreciating Mozart.
Westerners have their own "trash"(I don't see it that way,just making a connection) music too but whatever..

There is a reason why Balkan is poorest region of Europe, don't kid yourself.
It has it's advantages though, it will save it from libtard degeneration and brown/black invasion.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:34 PM
What about Italy? Italy have a considerable number of dinarids and dianrid influenced persons, specially in the Northeast but in other regions too, to less extent i think. Many famous ancient Romans seemed to be strongly dinarid influenced too

North Italy has lot of dinaric influence.

Ice
03-08-2019, 10:37 PM
North Italy has lot of dinaric influence.

Italian culture is too strong/dominant. You can 'take'(slavicize) hungary,austria even southern/eastern germany but those italians won't allow you shit. even if italy had 30 million immigrants from shithole countries, italian culture would still survive and resist against invaders.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Italian culture is too strong/dominant. You can 'take'(slavicize) hungary,austria even southern/eastern germany but those italians won't allow you shit. even if italy had 30 million immigrants from shithole countries, italian culture would still survive and resist against invaders.

It was always Italians trying to spread east. Not Slavs trying to take over Italy, man.

Moje ime
03-08-2019, 10:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbYBySiiTM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/8m4R4pvViWtRzbloJ1/giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c82f23a7833754d59130c0d

Nope. That's just Albanians.

This is oldest real Balkan music

https://youtu.be/k8XuBEQmB5Y

Dorian
03-08-2019, 10:40 PM
There is a reason why Balkan is poorest region of Europe, don't kid yourself.
It has it's advantages though, it will save it from libtard degeneration and brown/black invasion.

Yes,it's called geopolitical interests and not some kind of inherent inferiority&inability as you probably think.
But again ,it's better to be a poor-frugal one with values than a poor or rich megalomaniac-elitist.

Vožd
03-08-2019, 10:41 PM

Balkan culture not exist, so there is no more or less "Balkanic".

You refer to Ottoman influences, which is stronger in Bulgaria and Greece than in Slovenia and Croatia, but Ottoman influence not made something more "Balkanic".
Ottoman culture not even dominant in most of Greece and Bulgaria, but there is some regions (especialy in some pars of south and east Bulgaria) where Ottoman influence is strong.
People here like to declare everything Ottoman what is not western, problem is Byzantine culture and local cultures such as Dinaric or Moravian are simple not Ottoman.

In some other forum, some guy gave me socialistic brutalism as example of "Balkan culture" xD

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 10:41 PM
What about Italy? Italy have a considerable number of dinarids and dianrid influence persons, specially in the Northeast but in other regions too, to less extent i think. Many famous ancient Romans seemed to be strongly dinarid influenced too

Dinarization is in fact a process. -> The adaptation of Caucasian persons to dry mountains. It can happen everywhere, it is not limited to the eponymous mountain range (Dinarid Alps).

Some parts of Italy are offering best conditions for Dinarization:

http://i63.tinypic.com/vxjcs1.jpg

Especially the in black circled Apennine Mountains. The main difference is that Balkanic-persons are more likely to be Dinarized Alpines, meanwhile Italians are more like Dinarized Meds.

ixulescu
03-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Alright, I fixed it for u.

https://youtu.be/k8XuBEQmB5Y

Ice
03-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Yes,it's called geopolitical interests and not some kind of inherent inferiority&inability as you probably think.
But again ,it's better to be a poor-frugal one with values than a poor or rich megalomaniac-elitist.

he prefers italian/french/english hegemony over greek,russian & turkish. probably because he's a catholic.. serbs and you proud greeks are different.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 10:44 PM

People are to blame, it's immature to blame others. Because morality and rule of law is very low, criminality is cool and celebrated and such.
But yes, better be poor with values than rich without ones.

I just don't think Balkan has high appreciation of real values. Probably only in very rural areas.

The Blade
03-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Only because this is Bulgaria "most Balkanic"
Geographically it is as Balkan as Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia and Kosovo.
But yes, the name is derived from a mountain range in Bulgaria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemus_Mons

Joso
03-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Dinarization is in fact a process. -> The adaptation of Caucasian persons to dry mountains. It can happen everywhere, it is not limited to the eponymous mountain range (Dinarid Alps).

Some parts of Italy are offering best conditions for Dinarization:

http://i63.tinypic.com/vxjcs1.jpg

Especially the in black circled Apennine Mountains. The main difference is that Balkanic-persons are more likely to be Dinarized Alpines, meanwhile Italians are more like Dinarized Meds.

So you are saying that Italian dinarids and Balkan dinarids have nothing to do which each other?

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 10:47 PM
he prefers italian/french/english hegemony over greek,russian & turkish. probably because he's a catholic.. serbs and you proud greeks are different.

Nobody prefers Turkish hegemony.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
Balkan culture not exist, so there is no more or less "Balkanic".

You refer to Ottoman influences, which is stronger in Bulgaria and Greece than in Slovenia and Croatia, but Ottoman influence not made something more "Balkanic".
Ottoman culture not even dominant in most of Greece and Bulgaria, but there is some regions (especialy in some pars of south and east Bulgaria) where Ottoman influence is strong.
People here like to declare everything Ottoman what is not western, problem is Byzantine culture and local cultures such as Dinaric or Moravian are simple not Ottoman.

In some other forum, some guy gave me socialistic brutalism as example of "Balkan culture" xD

Than drop the word Balkan because word itself associates with Ottoman Turks and their rule, South-East Europe is more appropriate.

Maks Luburic
So you are saying that Italian dinarids and Balkan dinarids have nothing to do which each other?

I am at least saying that they don´t necessarily have to be connected with each other.

03-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Than drop the word Balkan because word itself associates with Ottoman Turks and their rule, South-East Europe is more appropriate.

No one associates the term Balkan or Balkan countries with Ottoman Turks to be honest here in the South\West. And people associate Turkey with the Middle-East, though I am expecting some people to be super sensitive about it as some were to be coined with the term Balkan, lol.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 10:53 PM

As soon as Apricity members drop the word the whole world will follow.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 10:54 PM
No one associates the term Balkan or Balkan countries with Ottoman Turks to be honest here in the South\West. And people associate Turkey with the Middle-East, though I am expecting some people to be super sensitive about it as some were to be coined with the term Balkan, lol.

Balkans refers to the region of Europe controlled by Turks, but rarely includes Turkey itself. Turkey is also seen as middle eastern in Britain.

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 10:58 PM

Agree.

If it would be up to me we would just use the term "south-east Europe". "Balkan" is too controversial and geographically inaccurate for serious use.

Percivalle
03-08-2019, 11:00 PM

They can have different vibes, but not for the reasons he explains, the Apennine mountains have nothing to do with the process of dinarization and a process of adaptation - if any - is very long, it takes many millennia.

Vožd
03-08-2019, 11:00 PM
I agree.

But south Croatia is very mediterranean and pretty different from Balkans. Unless you visit Zagora, but rarely foreigners go there.

I can say also Albanian Berat or Greek coast or Trebinje are pretty different from Balkan, whats point?

There is no Balkan as homogenic thing.

03-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Balkans refers to the region of Europe controlled by Turks, but rarely includes Turkey itself. Turkey is also seen as middle eastern in Britain.

In Portugal we associate the world Balkan with the Balkan war due to the recent events in the 90's, plus Portugal was involved as a NATO member and had several military divisions in Bosnia and Kosovo, hence why we usually correlate the term Balkan with the Western Balkan states. The average person does not make any association or correlation with Ottomans. The average Portuguese who doesn't care about geography, politics or socio-cultural aspects will tell you that from Morocco to Turkey to Saudi Arabia is the Middle-East and every person from there can be collectively known as "Arabs".

Vožd
03-08-2019, 11:03 PM

So what. There is bunch of other words here. Which word is Dalmatia or Syrmia etc.
Romans are also occupators here.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 11:04 PM
In Portugal we associate the world Balkan with the Balkan war due to the recent events in the 90's, plus Portugal was involved as a NATO member and had several military divisions in Bosnia and Kosovo, hence why we usually correlate the term Balkan with the Western Balkan states. The average person does not make any association or correlation with Ottomans. The average Portuguese who doesn't care about geography, politics or socio-cultural aspects will tell you that from Morocco to Turkey to Saudi Arabia is the Middle-East and every person from there can be collectively known as "Arabs".
That will trigger people haha. Fair enough though; average person doesn't think about these random things, and it's the same here in many respects.

Ford
03-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Real Balkan is playing flute while taking care of your sheep on mountain in thick wool socks.

03-08-2019, 11:07 PM
That will trigger people haha. Fair enough though; average person doesn't think about these random things, and it's the same here in many respects.

It is how it is. This is what Northerners think of Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NA7uUYMdYk

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 11:09 PM
So what. There is bunch of other words here. Which word is Dalmatia or Syrmia etc.
Romans are also occupators here.

The difference is that that the Romans were constructive occupators who contributed a lot in terms of culture, technology and architecture. Nothing bad about it all. Same applies to the Austrians.

The Ottomans left nothing apart from poverty, an uneducated population, a unsuitable Religion, shit music and unhealthy food. You see the difference?

Vožd
03-08-2019, 11:12 PM
The difference is that that the Romans were constructive occupators who contributed a lot in terms of culture, technology and architecture. Nothing bad about it all. Same applies to the Austrians.

The Ottomans left nothing apart from poverty, an uneducated population, a unsuitable Religion, shit music and unhealthy food. You see the difference?

How to change the name of geographic region?

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 11:13 PM
How to change the name of geographic region?

TA members need to agree.

Dorian
03-08-2019, 11:14 PM
People are to blame, it's immature to blame others. Because morality and rule of law is very low, criminality is cool and celebrated and such.
But yes, better be poor with values than rich without ones.

I just don't think Balkan has high appreciation of real values. Probably only in very rural areas.

No it's not blaming,what you must understand is that the majority of humans don't care about the things discussed on this forum,what can you do?And If there are interests,there's everywhere someone to be corrupted/be a puppet ,that's how it is.The rest is just a matter of perception.
Everyone has values,even If they are not conscious and expressive of them(and those who are are mostly pseudointellectuals like I might be to an extent,that's how cynical I am :p )you just say that because they don't have the same(idealized)ones as you.
Machiavelli would celebrate the criminals,Hedonist philosophers would love the turbofolk listener smoking a cigarette one after another(perspective).

Ice
03-08-2019, 11:16 PM
TA members need to agree.

Yugoslavia sounds ok..

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Yugoslavia sounds ok..

Not bad, but excludes some nations.

Thracian
03-08-2019, 11:22 PM

Romans slaughtered and assimilated many European nations. Tell me, why no one speak Thracian? It is because of Romans. Slavs were humiliated and many of them were selling in slave bazaars. Do you think nothing bad about it all?

Maks Luburic
Yugoslavia sounds ok..

Don´t want to hear that term ever again...

Dorian
criminality is cool and celebrated and such.

OP OP!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzljXd2XmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Cj-6KDrbQ

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:23 PM
They can have different vibes, but not for the reasons he explains, the Apennine mountains have nothing to do with the process of dinarization and a process of adaptation - if any - is very long, it takes many millennia.

I don't think so, dinaric population loses phenotype after generation or two on plains. And south Slavs aren't present in Balkan for millenias but barely 1500 years yet many developed strong dinaric features over time.

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 11:24 PM
Romans slaughtered and assimilated many European nations. Tell me, why no one speak Thracian? It is because of Romans. Slavs were humiliated and many of them were selling in slave bazaars. Do you think nothing bad about it all?

My statement was for the whole picture. A retroperspective point of view on that what they have left.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:25 PM
I can say also Albanian Berat or Greek coast or Trebinje are pretty different from Balkan, whats point?

There is no Balkan as homogenic thing.

They are not different at all. Same culture, simply different climate than more mountanious parts.

Ayetooey
03-08-2019, 11:25 PM
I don't think so, dinaric population loses phenotype after generation or two on plains. And south Slavs aren't present in Balkan for millenia but barely 1500 years yet many developed strong dinaric features over time.

Definition of Millenia is 1000 years lol.

Dinaric Slavs have heavy native admixture which I think contributes to their features just as much as environmentalism.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:27 PM
As soon as Apricity members drop the word the whole world will follow.

It's up to you decide how you want to be called.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 11:29 PM
It's up to you decide how you want to be called.

Well if it is up to me I will tomorrow personally inform all notable institutions in the world.

Stefanos.tasidis
Culturally All those countries, Northern Greece, even Croatia(partially), plus Western Anatolia(if they weren't muslims i am sure we would be happy to include them)

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
Yugoslavia sounds ok..

No it does not.

In ancient Greek, the Balkan Peninsula was known as the "Peninsula of Haemus", a name which retains some currency in modern Greek.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Well, if it is up to me I will tomorrow personally inform all notable institutions in the world.

For me you're southeastern Europeans, Robocucks are southern europeans and we are central europeans.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 11:31 PM
For me you're southeastern Europeans, Robocucks are southern europeans and we are central europeans.

I will let them know.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:32 PM
Culturally All those countries, Northern Greece, even Croatia(partially), plus Western Anatolia(if they weren't muslims i am sure we would be happy to include them)

Speak for yourself. There is nothing culturally similar between Slovenia and Bulgaria for example, not to mention Bosnia or Kosovo.

Vožd
03-08-2019, 11:32 PM
They are not different at all. Same culture, simply different climate than more mountanious parts.

Trebinje is mix of Dinaric and Medditeranean culture
Greek coast of Byzantine and Medditeranean
Berat have strong Ottoman influence

All three places have not just different language, but different language familly, different also group of people.

Trebinje and Greek coast have Orthodox majority, Berat Muslim.

Different history, different philosofy, different costumes different mentality

Different local cultures (Trebinje have Dinaric, Greek coast Medditeranean, Berat mix of Mediteranean and local version of Ottoman).

Etc.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:34 PM
I will let them know.

Maks is also southeastern Euro. Jana is southern Euro. I am only central european Croat on this forum.

But this makes us richer and unique.

Stefanos.tasidis
03-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Speak for yourself. There is nothing culturally similar between Slovenia and Bulgaria for example, not to mention Bosnia or Kosovo.

Well my friend... Then you can apply to be a part of Central Europe as Slovens :D

03-08-2019, 11:35 PM

Can't a Slovenian communicate with someone from Bosnia?

Vožd

This is one of reason why Balkan culture not exist, because is too mixed place, nothing like other European region, which have far more similiraties between each others.

Maks Luburic
Maks is also southeastern Euro. Jana is southern Euro. I am only central european Croat on this forum.

Who is btw Jana? A lot of people mentioned her multiple times.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:36 PM
Trebinje is mix of Dinaric and Medditeranean culture
Greek coast of Byzantine and Medditeranean
Berat have strong Ottoman influence

All three places have not just different language, but different language familly, different also group of people.

Trebinje and Greek coast have Orthodox majority, Berat Muslim.

Different history, different philosofy, different costumes different mentality

Different local cultures (Trebinje have Dinaric, Greek coast Medditeranean, Berat mix of Mediteranean and local version of Ottoman).

Etc.

I mean Trebinje is not culturally very different than north Montenegro for example. Only difference climate.

Insuperable
03-08-2019, 11:36 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/gJ1DhwyN/download.jpg

Ice
03-08-2019, 11:37 PM

i remember you claiming anatolian turks are just greeks,serbians,armenians who converted to islam.. so why don't you accept ottoman influence? is religion more important than race? or were you just teasing?

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 11:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/gJ1DhwyN/download.jpg

Diverse but not that much diverse xD

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:38 PM
Well my friend... Then you can apply to be a part of Central Europe as Slovens :D

I don't need to. Zagreb is as much central european as Slovenia is.

Can't a Slovenian communicate with someone from Bosnia?

Yes, but that's mostly because Slovenes were forced to use Serbo-Croatian language during communism and are exposed to pop culture from there.
Languages itself are not perfectly inteligible.

Vožd
03-08-2019, 11:39 PM
I mean Trebinje is not culturally very different than north Montenegro for example. Only difference climate.

Yes, but is very different from most of Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania.

East Herzegovina and Montenegro are very similar, both share Dinaric and Mediteranean culture, but there is no Dinaric culture in east and south Balkan.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:40 PM
Forgot Anđelko, he is central european also.

She used to post here and posts on forum.hr very often. From Dalmatian Island. Looks German though.

03-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Yes, but that's mostly because Slovenes were forced to use Serbo-Croatian languages during communism and are exposed to pop culture from there.

If you have a language that is mostly mutually intelligible with Serbo-Croatian then how can you say you have nothing in common with them?

Joso
03-08-2019, 11:41 PM

Stearsolina

Maks Luburic
03-08-2019, 11:42 PM
Yes, but that's mostly because Slovenes were forced to use Serbo-Croatian languages during communism and are exposed to pop culture from there.

In my experience Slovenes are better speaking German (what I usually do when I am there) than Croatian. They are in general very educated in terms of languages, even a Mc Donald´s employee there speaks fluently German and Italian. Most of them even better German then the employees here in Germany xD.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:42 PM
This is one of reason why Balkan culture not exist, because is too mixed place, nothing like other European region, which have far more similiraties between each others.

Agree bruv. Even genetics in Balkan is more diverse than in any other european region. Balkan itself is more heterogenous genetically than area from Poland to Urals xD

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:44 PM
i remember you claiming anatolian turks are just greeks,serbians,armenians who converted to islam.. so why don't you accept ottoman influence? is religion more important than race? or were you just teasing?

Never said that, that was probably Bosniensis.

I can't accept Ottoman influence because there never was any where I live, zero. Ottoman Empire never came to my city. Unlike in Budapest, for example.
Maybe you should ask people from there will they accept Ottoman influence.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:45 PM
If you have a language that is mostly mutually intelligible with Serbo-Croatian then how can you say you have nothing in common with them?

Russian is also mutually inteligible...all Slavic languages are, to some degree.

Pribislav
03-08-2019, 11:46 PM

Than Budapest is Balkan.

03-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Agree bruv. Even genetics in Balkan is more diverse than in any other european region. Balkan itself is more heterogenous genetically than area from Poland to Urals xD

Europe is the least genetically diverse continent in the world, lol, not to talk about the Balkan region. Even China alone has more diversity. The distances and genetic drifts are inflated because in here we usually only take Europe into perspective. When you take a PCA map with all world regions you can get into perspective how close Balkanites are to one another.

03-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Russian is also mutually inteligible...all Slavic languages are, to some degree.

Russia is an East Slavic language. I doubt South Slavic speakers can understand better Russian than other South Slavic languages without exposure.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:50 PM
Than Budapest is Balkan.

Mate, I was trolling. I just can't accept how Budapest is ''very Central European'' and it was 150 years under Turks for fuck's sake, and Zagreb is ''very Balkan'' and it was 0 years under Turks.

Fuck. I heard Turks left some baths in Budapest.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-08-2019, 11:53 PM
Europe is the least genetically diverse continent in the world, lol, not to talk about the Balkan region. Even China alone has more diversity. The distances and genetic drifts are inflated because in here we usually only take Europe into perspective. When you take a PCA map with all world regions you can get into perspective how close Balkanites are to one another.

OK, but if you compare how Iberians are genetically close Balkanites are nothing like that. Difference between Slovenians and Greeks is like between English and Italians.
Even Balkan Slavs like Bosniaks and Serbs are miles further from Albos and Greeks, they are like half way between North east Slavs and them.

Russia is an East Slavic language. I doubt South Slavic speakers can understand better Russian than other South Slavic languages without exposure.

Slovenian has lot of west slavic features. It's even disputable is it south slavic language at all. Probably both south and west slavic at the same time.

Pribislav
03-08-2019, 11:57 PM
Mate, I was trolling. I just can't accept how Budapest is ''very Central European'' and it was 150 years under Turks for fuck's sake, and Zagreb is ''very Balkan'' and it was 0 years under Turks.

Fuck. I heard Turks left some baths in Budapest.

Yes, Budapest was 150 years under the Ottomans and Zagreb was 0 years. But when Ottomans were expelled from Budapest (1683) than Budapest became much more developed and European looking than Zagreb.
Zagreb in comparation with Budapest looks like provincial city. Architecture of Budapest is copmarable with architecture of Vienna. It's visible that Budapest was second capital of Hubsburg monarchy.

Maks Luburic
03-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Yes, Budapest was 150 years under the Ottomans and Zagreb was 0 years. But when Ottomans were expelled from Budapest (1683) than Budapest became much more developed and European looking than Zagreb.
Zagreb in comparation with Budapest looks like provincial city. Architecture of Budapest is copmarable with architecture of Vienna. It's visible that Budapest was second capital of Hubsburg monarchy.

Have you ever been there? I have seen both and yes, Budapest is larger and got more notable buildings then Zagreb but keep in mind that it was the unofficially "second Capital" of Austria, the second largest european Empire at his time. It´s still not a reason to degrate Zagreb to a "provincial city".

Apart from the sights the cities are pretty similar, like the most former, bigger Austrian towns.

Vožd
03-09-2019, 12:08 AM

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-09-2019, 12:11 AM

I haven't been to Budapest. Zagreb was always provincial city but beautiful at that. I have been to Vienna and it is not better looking than Zagreb, just much bigger.
Zagreb is very comparable with Graz or Bratislava.

03-09-2019, 12:13 AM
the second largest european Empire at his time.

Which one was the first? I always thought of the Austro-Hungarian Empire as one of the smallest European empires.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Have you ever been there? I have seen both and yes, Budapest is larger and got more notable buildings then Zagreb but keep in mind that it was the unofficially "second Capital" of Austria, the second largest european Empire at his time. It´s still not a reason to degrate Zagreb to a "provincial city".

Apart from the sights the cities are pretty similar, like the most former, bigger Austrian towns.

Zagreb old core is pretty small bro. Budapest was built from out tax money after all. It is bigger than Prague for fuck's sake.

KingOf
03-09-2019, 12:18 AM
another funny video of Slavoj Zizek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDrHqNZ9lo

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
03-09-2019, 12:19 AM
my lovely town

https://croatia.hr/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/public/2017-11/zagreb-davor-rostuhar.jpg?itok=OqJB1ltF
https://lonelyplanetwpnews.imgix.net/2017/12/best-christmas-market-europe.jpg
http://www.kompas.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Zagreb-Cathedral-with-Archbishops-Palace-Croatia-1024x683.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DehC2EDV0AAEMFn.jpg:large

Maks Luburic
03-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Which one was the first? I always thought of the Austro-Hungarian Empire as one of the smallest European empires.

Russia was of course the biggest. And you are unterestimating former Austria by far:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Europe_1914.png/800px-Europe_1914.png

Ice
03-09-2019, 12:21 AM
central europe
https://00guide.com/images/_Germany/201801_Germany_Hamburg_Blockbraeu_men_2.jpg

balkan
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/French_Squatter_Toilet.jpg/220px-French_Squatter_Toilet.jpg

Maks Luburic
03-09-2019, 12:24 AM
Zagreb old core is pretty small bro. Budapest was built from out tax money after all. It is bigger than Prague for fuck's sake.

I honestly don´t think so. I just know three or four (Munich, Ulm, Stuttgart, Heidelberg not sure about the last) southern German citys with a bigger old town. That shows imo that it couldn´t be that much small.

03-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Russia was of course the biggest. And you are unterestimating former Austria by far:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Europe_1914.png/800px-Europe_1914.png

Not really, British, Spanish, French and Portuguese empire were all bigger by a large margin. I can't even find the Austro-Hungarian Empire among the top 50 largest human empires.

Maks Luburic
03-09-2019, 12:44 AM
Not really, British, Spanish, French and Portuguese empire were all bigger by a large margin. I can't even find the Austro-Hungarian Empire among the top 50 largest human empires.

I have written "at that time, in Europe". That excludes the colonies.

nittionia
03-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your opinion (:

Ülev
03-09-2019, 04:00 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Balkany,+Obw%C3%B3d+czelabi%C5%84ski,+Rosja,+45766 1/@53.4395163,59.5860105,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x43d11174918baa63:0x784c4 c715c7c846a!8m2!3d53.4380839!4d59.6079974
if don't work, type: Балканы, Россия

btw, soon in Russian and Serbian cinemas
https://www.kino-teatr.ru/kino/movie/ros/126950/annot/

Hithaeglir
03-09-2019, 04:16 PM
For us Greeks the term has a political connotation,that's why some of us react to it. Geographically speaking we are obviously in the balkanic peninsula and to be honest currently Greece is more similar to a Balkan state than anything else :D

Faklon
03-10-2019, 04:38 AM
Balkan is a proud word, it means "chain of wooded mountains" in Turkish which is counteractive to Steppe Turanics, for them such a place is not conquerable.

So to speak, a true Balkanic alpha will never be really Ottomanized. On the other hand, the people that use the definition "Balkan" are already Ottomanized as they use a Turkish word. Balkan is the proudest thing to be called but not a word to define onself as you will become Ottomanized and ignorant, it's like calling your self prodigal son. There are few Balkanic alphas left in the Haemus peninsula when there are many people that are Ottomanized and people that should stop arguing about meaningless definitions and start creating.

As for turbo-folk theatrics such as Sandra Afrika, it's just a tradition hailing from Roman times. Back in ancient Rome, people would visit the province of Africa Proconsularis and bring back goods. Sandra Afrika represents this tradition by bringing back the twerk.

^Bosniensis could confirm this.

Dna8
03-10-2019, 05:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2huGNwa4NU

Dna8
03-10-2019, 05:31 AM
IMO:

Order in descent, of countries most associated with notions of "Balkan", in the popular Western consciousness:

Yugoslavia
Serbia, Croatia, BiH
Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia
Albania
Slovenia
Greece

Nazarene
03-10-2019, 05:46 AM
21 pages in a day fits pretty well.