PDA

View Full Version : More 1/4 Than Young Swedes Favour Dictatorial Government for Sweden

Eldritch
06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.thelocal.se/articleImages/34160.jpg

Young Swedes favour dictatorship: study

Over 25 percent young Swedes think that it would be “good or very good” for Sweden to be less democratic and ruled by a strong and dictatorial leader, according to a new study.

“The benefits of a democratic society needs to be discussed and debated in schools, in the press and broadcast media and in society as a whole,” said Staffan I. Lindberg, research director for the World Values Survey Sweden, to The Local.

The new World Values Survey shows that 21 percent of 18- to 29-year olds in Sweden would consider changing party allegiance for a small cash imbursement.

Among the country as a whole the number dropped to 7 percent. Of those over 40 the number was 2 percent.

More than a quarter of the younger Swedes were also willing to give their vote to a MP in exchange for a job for themselves or a close friend or relative.

In a debate article in Friday’s Dagens Nyheter (DN) Lindberg wrote that scientists are seeing worrying threats against the foundations of democracy in Sweden, at the same time as dictatorships in the Middle East and North Africa are falling under the pressure of young people’s demand for a right to vote.

According to the survey, 26 percent of 18-29-year-olds thought that it would be good or very good if a “strong leader who didn’t have to care about a Riksdag or an election” ruled Sweden.

Older generations value democracy higher. 97 percent of those over 30 stated that it is important to live in a democratic country.

It is significant, wrote Lindberg, that the randomly chosen group of Swedes forming the basis for the study represented voters from across the political spectrum.

The participants were all in employment, had the same basic education and the same faith in institutions such as church, university, national defence and different types of organisations. None were more or less willing to take part in any forms of protests or demonstrations.

According to Lindberg some of the explanation may come from the “mechanic” view on democracy taught in Swedish schools, on young Swedes’ prevalent lack of confidence in the political parties and a more narrow consumption of news than earlier generations.

“The younger generation have a more individualistic approach. But they must realize that in order to be free to further individual gains, society must safeguard the general democratic rights which this builds on,” he said to The Local.

Link (http://www.thelocal.se/34160/20110603/).

Well, one could argue that Sweden already is a totalitarian state, only one that does not have a personified dictator, but rather Political Correctness as Big Brother.

The Ripper
06-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Let us also not forget that "Young Swedes" have a significant non-Swedish component.

Grumpy Cat
06-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Let us also not forget that "Young Swedes" have a significant non-Swedish component.

Yeah but I bet a good number of those people were Swedish far-leftists who admire the dictator governments in the Third World.

Either way, I am in favour of a less-democratic government as a temporary fix. This means restricting certain forms of speech (ie cultural Marxism) and arresting and prosecuting those who promote it. These people are usually anti-democracy anyways, so lets give them what they want, then they'll be happy till they figure out the joke's on them. Then we can return to traditional Western democracy after such elements are weeded out.

The Ripper
06-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah but I bet a good number of those people were Swedish far-leftists who admire the dictator governments in the Third World.

Swedish leftism, especially post-Cold War, is very much "democratic". I find it more likely, that the support for authoritarianism comes mostly from Muslims (who never really got the concept of "Swedish democracy and equality") and perhaps some far-rightists.

Eldritch
06-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Either way, I am in favour of a less-democratic government as a temporary fix. This means restricting certain forms of speech (ie cultural Marxism) and arresting and prosecuting those who promote it. These people are usually anti-democracy anyways, so lets give them what they want, then they'll be happy till they figure out the joke's on them. Then we can return to traditional Western democracy after such elements are weeded out.

Unfortunately you can't create democracy with non-democratic means. The commies managed to prove that, at least -- I'm sure at least some of them believed themselves when they claimed that the limits placed on association, opinion and communication and the imprisonment of dissenters, etc. were to be just a transitional phase.

Grumpy Cat
06-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately you can't create democracy with non-democratic means. The commies managed to prove that, at least -- I'm sure at least some of them believed themselves when they claimed that the limits placed on association, opinion and communication and the imprisonment of dissenters, etc. were to be just a transitional phase.

Well, I am for some degree of restrictions on speech, then. I think Turkey serves as a good example with their "insulting Turkishness" laws. The Ottomans had an empire, and committed atrocities, but don't feel guilt about it that promotes suicidal behaviour because those laws keep it in check.

Gamera
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, I am for some degree of restrictions on speech, then. I think Turkey serves as a good example with their "insulting Turkishness" laws. The Ottomans had an empire, and committed atrocities, but don't feel guilt about it that promotes suicidal behaviour because those laws keep it in check.

It's still antidemocratic. The means always have an effect in the result.

Motörhead Remember Me
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
The ignorance among young Swedes is really appalling. They are completely cut of from reality and have no fucking clue about anything else than popularculture. Swedish school system suck, they learn a lot of goofy things in school.
I heard about the results and also a tiny analysis that Swedes with foreign background were more negative to dictatorship than ethnic Swedes. So there.

Motörhead Remember Me
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Either way, I am in favour of a less-democratic government as a temporary fix.

Be careful. They tend to turn permanent.

poiuytrewq0987
06-17-2011, 01:26 PM
This is actually good for Estonia since the King (with a new wave of support from the Swedish youth) will now aspire to recreate the Swedish Empire. The Nordowannabeofascists in Estonia will rejoice.