PDA

View Full Version : What is the true definition of "Latino"?

Magister Eckhart
06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Ask a Scholar: What is the True Definition of Latino?

October 12, 2010

Dear Ask a Scholar,

What is the True Definition of Latino? Many say its just Latin American people, others say and I believe as well that "Latino" means anyone whose language derived from Latin; Hispanics, Portuguese speaking people, French and Italian. I need someone to clarify the actual meaning and history of the word.
-Jorge Martinez, University of South Florida

Answered by Dario Fernandez-Morera, Associate Professor of Spanish & Portuguese at Northwestern University. Dr. Fernandez-Morera received his Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from Harvard University. He has published books and articles in English and Spanish in the United States, England, and Spain on cultural issues and theory, Cervantes, sixteenth and seventeenth-century Spanish prose and fiction, modern Spanish poetry, the encounter between Europeans and Amerindians, Modernism, and contemporary political events in Latin America. Fernández-Morera has served in the National Council on the Humanities and as a consultant and reader for the National Endowment for the Humanities.

The word latino is a Spanish word that has entered the English language. In Spanish, it means someone belonging to the people of ancient Latium, in Italy, whose language was Latin; so the Romans of course were latinos. Another and related meaning of latino in Spanish refers to someone who belongs to the cultures of the Romance Languages, that is, those peoples whose language, and to a varying extent, whose culture, too, derive from the language and civilization of Rome, which was latin. Among these Romance languages are Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Rumanian. Therefore, all Italians, Frenchmen, Spaniards, Rumanians, and Portuguese, as well as all those Latin Americans whose language is Spanish or Portuguese (an English-speaking person from Jamaica would not qualify) are latinos. This last meaning can be found in the English language as well, in the English word “Latin,” when used in some contexts; thus famous “Latin” performers have been Rodolfo Valentino and Carmen Miranda. In this context, the English word “Latin” has carried a certain aura of joix de vivre, or of sexuality, sometimes to the point of caricature and satire.

However, the Spanish word latino has narrowed its meaning when used in English untranslated as “Latin.” This narrowing was clinched when the United States government adopted the term latino officially in 1997 to complement the English word “Hispanic,” which until then had been used to classify, or rather, attempt to classify, people living in the United States who were Spanish speakers, or belonged to a household where Spanish was spoken, or who were somehow of Spanish heritage, or who self-identified with Spanish ancestry or descent. Now, with the use of the word “Latino,” with a capital, this bureaucratic category has been enlarged to include people of non-Spanish descent if they so wish to be categorized. Basically, anyone who can somehow justify the claim, can now claim to be a “latino” for bureaucratic purposes, and many do so in order to reap various forms of government benefits reserved for particular collectives, or “identity groups.”

In addition, the word Latino now serves to categorize those people who come from Latin America, or descend from people from Latin America, where the spoken language is Spanish, but who are not happy with a noun such as “Hispanic,” which is too redolent of Spain, a country to which many of those formerly categorized as “Hispanics” do not want to be connected. This is the case, for example, of some residents of Mexican descent in the United States, who do not want to be called “Hispanics,” but “Latinos.” One reason given is to have their own collective identity separate from that of other collective identities somehow associated with Spain and its heritage. Another possible reason is a desire to be associated with the Mexica (“Aztec”) culture, which was defeated by the Spaniards, and which is frequently and justifiably extolled for its numerous accomplishments and virtues. Given this desire, it is irrelevant that the Aztec culture was one among many indigenous cultures of ancient Mexico; or that the Aztecs subjugated and ruthlessly exploited many of these cultures, and that this was the reason so many indigenous nations in ancient Mexico readily allied themselves with the Spanish conquerors to get rid of Aztec rule; or that most Mexicans today probably have no genetic connection to the Aztec; or that many Mexicans today have as many European genes as they have Amerindian genes.

In the American universities, the term “Latino” has served a different, though perhaps related purpose: to designate programs of study developed by analogy with such programs as “African-American Studies,” and “Women’s Studies” (now more commonly and wisely re-designated as “Gender Studies,” a term that allows the incorporation of more customers to the program while also widening the field covered by the term in order to study other areas, usually from the point of view of non-heterosexuality). The predecessor of "Latino Studies" was "Chicano Studies," created by university administrators in California under pressure from activist university students; and for the same reason "Women's Studies" morphed into "Gender Studies," so "Chicano Studies" morphed into "Latino Studies," helped again by university administrators' response to activist university students, principally of Mexican and Puerto Rican descent or origin. These “Latino Studies” programs have carved for their practitioners a niche in the competition for scarce university resources, students, tenure-line positions, and office space. The texts read in their courses are written mostly in English, and involve the lives and customs of people living in the United States, although their vocabulary may include here and there words in Spanish. Nevertheless, the faculty teaching these texts written mostly in English frequently end up as part of established departments of Spanish or of “Hispanic Studies,” since English departments often show themselves reluctant to host, even in part, the faculty of “Latino Studies.”

Thoughts from the Spaniards?

Sikeliot
06-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm not Spanish but I can tell you what "Latino" is not; it's not all of these half-breeds, tri-racials, even pure Amerindians who come from the other side of the Rio Grande.

Either Latino should mean these Latin Americans, OR it should mean Latin Europeans, but it should not mean both. Don't group me in with Guatemalans and Dominicans, thanks.

Efim45
06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Latino=Mexican?

Ibericus
06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Romance_20c_en.png/800px-Romance_20c_en.png

Sikeliot
06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Romance_20c_en.png/800px-Romance_20c_en.png

This ^

But it can't be us, and Dominicans/Mexicans/Guatemalans etc. at the same time.

antonio
06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
a noun such as “Hispanic,” which is too redolent of Spain, a country to which many of those formerly categorized as “Hispanics” do not want to be connected. This is the case, for example, of some residents of Mexican descent in the United States, who do not want to be called “Hispanics,” but “Latinos.”

Bizarrely, we're us who dont want them to be categorized as Hispanics, in fact, neither as Latinos. :D

Stars Down To Earth
06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
A "Latino" is just a Latin American to me.

Loddfafner
06-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I understood that Latino caught on in universities because it is supposedly equally "inclusive" of speakers of Spanish and Portuguese from Latin America. Hispanic could cover Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, but not so much Brazilians.

Alvarado
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
There is no true definition of "Latino". This word is often used as synonymous with sudaca (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sudaca).

Europeans are not called Latinos, we refer to them by their ethnicity: French, Italian, etc...

Rouxinol
06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, Latino in Portuguese is mostly used to refer to the peoples of Europe who speak a language derived from Latin through Romanization by the Roman Empire and which share to a greater or lesser extent similarities in their cultures stemming from that part of their histories. In that definition Latino includes the Portuguese, the Spanish, the French and the Italians. So, in my view, the definition ascribed to that term by the U.S. Census Bureau is obviously corrupted.

Ibericus
06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Actually in Spain we never use the word hispanic or latino. We think of ourselves as Spanish (españoles) and nothing else. To us the words hispanic/latino sounds related with South-America.

Comte Arnau
06-04-2011, 06:45 PM
What I can't understand is why so many Spaniards get mad at the use of the word in the US. Seeing endless fights in YouTube comments and such is quite ridiculous. To each society, its level of knowledge. If the word has some purpose for the American society, so be it.

As if Spain and Spaniards were so accurate in the use of the word moro, which I've seen used even for Pakis...

Dario Argento
06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
What I can't understand is why so many Spaniards get mad at the use of the word in the US. Seeing endless fights in YouTube comments and such is quite ridiculous. To each society, its level of knowledge. If the word has some purpose for the American society, so be it.

As if Spain and Spaniards were so accurate in the use of the word moro, which I've seen used even for Pakis...

We have a word that sounds way more offensive than Sudaca, Moro, etc. We call it "Boliguayo" You can guess what it means. It's a crossword between Paraguayo and Bolivia and means someone North of us, showing indifference for their origin.

Ibericus
06-04-2011, 06:57 PM
The difference is that the word moro is not used in our census, it's not an official race, while hispanic/latino are officially races in the US.

Dario Argento
06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
The difference is that the word moro is not used in our census, it's not an official race, while hispanic/latino are officially races in the US.

Americans are very stupid with the terms they use.

They call anyone with a nigger ancestor as "black" no matter how mixed it is, while it sounds right; it's very wrong at a practical lebel.

Likewise, they call all white people "Caucasians" when they're not. Personally I find it stupid. Why not call them Balkanians, Iberians, Scandinavians? Most don't belong to either, anyway.

Don
06-04-2011, 07:00 PM
We have spoken about this matter a lot.

Hispanic means literally Hispano. Means "from Hispania".

In the movie Gladiator, (known by everyone. Sadly hollyjewood "teaches" more than history books)
the main character is from Hispania at the service of Rome
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xUwGfTrRcoY/Tcl8-lwZKpI/AAAAAAAAAMo/TAnN9q8c3mc/s1600/gladiator1.jpg

- In the original, the main character, maximus is called WRONGLY: the Spaniard (the one from modern Spain, that is basically true, but not still, not in these years.)

- In the Spanish version he is called correctly: El Hispano (the one from Hispania).

Of course, they could neve have dared to call him correctly by the word "The Hispanic."... since they already fucked and spoiled the sense of this word, related to:
http://recovering-republican.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/obama-si-se-puede.jpg

Just another dramatic consequence of the bad use of terminologies and words by a whole nation and its people.

Concluding: They are Sudacas. There is no confusion with this word that is originally dedicated to them by the old masters.

Don't matter how much they love to be called Latinos, or by names that are not theirs but from other people in the other side of the world.

End.

Comte Arnau
06-04-2011, 07:02 PM

There is an obvious difference, this is not the New World, and tbh, I really hope there is never such an inaccurate census with 'identity labels' that cluster together people who are so different.

antonio
06-05-2011, 09:41 AM
There is an obvious difference, this is not the New World, and tbh, I really hope there is never such an inaccurate census with 'identity labels' that cluster together people who are so different.

And what about the Frente Moro de Liberación Nacional? Seems to wherever a Cristiano Viejo of Spanish heritage is, there's an Islamist who wants to be a Moor.:D

Raikaswinþs
06-05-2011, 11:09 AM
In Spain, up until the last few years, Latino was a speaker of a Latin Vulgar dialect (such as the iberian dialects, the italics, the occitan, etc) a "Hispano" was a person with Spanish blood and able to speak Spanish , whereas Español refered to someone born in Spain, Europe, even tho ihis or her language wasn´t Spanish (Such as some Galicians, Basques, Valencians etc)

Now however, since we have received large chunks of Latin american immigration we have started to use the term Latino in the way Americans use it. You see it in the media, and you hear it from people, and it is really annoying.It implies for example, that the old spanish speakers from the United States fall in the same category than the hordes of recent migrants from Central and South America. And believe me, a Californio, a Panameño, and and Argentine are as different if not much more than an American, a French canadian and a Turk

antonio
06-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Agree. When the famous crooner Francisco sang Latino (circa 1980) nobody misunderstood the kind of person he was describing. And Hispanic was related with Hispanidad-Hispanity, a concept wrapping American Discovery and all the new lands belonging to Spanish Empire, and celebrated day of Virgen del Pilar, Spain patroness. And Latinoamerica, the term root of all this evil, a French neologism coined to include Italian and probably French contribution of Centre and South America.

And the Latino shift took place, not only by massive inmigration, but also by Anglosaxon colonization, thru f.e. TV serials, continously talking about Latinos.

Don
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
whereas Español refered to someone born in Spain, Europe, even tho ihis or her language wasn´t Spanish (Such as some Galicians, Basques, Valencians etc)

What an amount of crap.

A galician a basque and a valencian is spanish or spaniard since these are populations of Spain.

Is ridiculous and sick this confusion between "Castilian" with "Spaniard" made in false and treacherous regionalists.

antonio
06-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Is ridiculous to confuse "Castilian" with "Spaniard".

Thinking it twice, having nothing to do (specially from XXth) with Castile, its language, its culture (specially its writers)...is a bizarre way (if any) of being Spaniard. In fact that's probably the main target of Catalonian and Basque educative systems, for example, a full public-educated Catalonian young of today and myself dont seem to have much in common, beyond the fact I'm a more authentic person from preinternet times. :D

Don
06-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Thinking it twice, having nothing to do (specially from XXth) with Castile, its language, its culture (specially its writers)...is a bizarre way (if any) of being Spaniard. In fact that's probably the main target of Catalonian and Basque educative systems, for example, a full public-educated Catalonian young of today and myself dont seem to have much in common, beyond the fact I'm a more authentic person from preinternet times. :D

These kind of infamous bastards that teach propaganda instead History.

These are one of the most evil behaviours I can blame the politicians: put their dirty hands in the educational system to the point to LIE to the new generations about the History of their people and the ancestors to achieve some dark and greedy goals.

The catalan and basque nationalists have became mad in these behaviours.

They have lost the shame, dignity and the notion of limits that divide interpretation of history and Invention.

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
What an amount of crap.

A galician a basque and a valencian is spanish or spaniard since these are populations of Spain.

So a French Basque is a Spaniard for you?

These kind of infamous bastards that teach propaganda instead History.

These are one of the most evil behaviours I can blame the politicians: put their dirty hands in the educational system to the point to LIE to the new generations about the History of their people and the ancestors to achieve some dark and greedy goals.

Of course. It's better to explain History in the Spanish nationalist way. When it is so, then it's not manipulation. And then you get such excellent works as the recent fiasco of the Dictionary of Spanish Biographies, lol.

The catalan and basque nationalists have became mad in these behaviours.

They have lost the shame, dignity and the notion of limits that divide interpretation of history and Invention.

Catalan and Basque nationalisms follow mostly the ethnic nationalism that have led to the formation of modern countries in central and eastern Europe that I'm sure you find pretty normal and logical to exist. Spanish nationalism also follows that, even if the trend now among some Spaniards is pretending that they follow a civic nationalism.

And whether you accept it or not, yes, Spanish = pan-Castilian. It's not propaganda or manipulation, it's simply something everybody knows and can see with his own eyes. At least, I find those Spanish nationalists that admit it much more coherent in their ideology.

Ibericus
06-05-2011, 04:54 PM
So a French Basque is a Spaniard for you?
Ethnically they are northern iberians. So, in a way, they are. But today one could say they are more french, linguistically and culturally.

antonio
06-05-2011, 05:01 PM
At least at Catalonia, you have nothing to worry about: Id bet infraculture of Black guettoes is way more present than the one rooted on 1898 generation which I guess was the official one thru all the Spanish state at the days of my childhood. Nowadays everything seems to spin around "cultural" manifestations like rap and (even worse) graffiti, probably due to the poor qualification of too many of the younger teachers (just by watching the news they're also performing silly things with their multicultural pupils): too many pedagogy but little Historical sense, let's call it Patriotism in a broad meaning. :cool:

Ps. Although I admit current mainstream Spanish History should be evolved from its current XIXth and early XXth sources.

Treffie
06-05-2011, 05:04 PM
To me a Latino is someone who is from Latin America. We see it as an Americanism that is now used here in the UK. A Spaniard, Catalan, Italian is a Spaniard, Catalan, Italian.

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Ethnically they are northern iberians. So, in a way, they are. But today one could say they are more french, linguistically and culturally.

Iberian does not mean Spaniard, does it?

At least at Catalonia, you have nothing to worry about: Id bet infraculture of Black guettoes is way more present than the one rooted on 1898 generation which I guess was the official one thru all the Spanish state at the days of my childhood.

1898, days of your childhood? Man, you're a pretty old chap!! :D

Ibericus
06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I said northern Iberian. And norhern Iberia = Spain, last time I checked

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I said northern Iberian. And norhern Iberia = Spain, last time I checked

Lol.

Socrates was a man, Socrates was gay, all men are gay.

Raikaswinþs
06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
What an amount of crap.

Is ridiculous and sick this confusion between "Castilian" with "Spaniard" made in false and treacherous regionalists.

Por si acaso te traduzco al Castellano lo que he puesto porque veo que no me hje explicado bien, o no lo has entendido: "Mientras que el termino Español se refiere a alguien nacido en España, Europa, independientemente de que su lengua no sea Español (como el gallego, el vasco o el catalán)"

Con esto queria implicar por si aún no está claro, que la palabra Español se adjudica a las personas nacidas en España, con nacionalidad española, independientemente de cual sea su lengua originaria o su sesgo político.

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 06:04 PM
"Mientras que el termino Español se refiere a alguien nacido en España, Europa, independientemente de que su lengua no sea Español (como el gallego, el vasco o el catalán)"

Definición administrativo-política donde las haya. Yo soy tan español como Concha Buika. Estoy de acuerdo.

Raikaswinþs
06-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Definición administrativo-política donde las haya. Yo soy tan español como Concha Buika. Estoy de acuerdo.

Pero esque Jordi, que es España sino una región administrativo-política? desde luego no es una nación estado. Se trata de una Monarquía de Partidos, al estilo de Canovas y Sagasta pero con algunos mas (no muchos) repartiendose la tarta (PPSOE y sus colegas nacionalistas).

España es una manzana podrida. España es una mentira y los políticos españoles (todos, de el primeroal ultimo, desde Mariano Rajoy a Otegui pasando por Artur Más y Zapatero) son unos mentirosos, unos ladrones, y unos estafadores de escala épica.

Y los españoles, al menos todos los que hacen la parodia de ir a votar, son complices de esta basura de Oligarquia de Partidos que nos impera.

La clase política (toda, los colegas nacionalistas perifericas inclusive) vendio la democracia al retrasado de don Juan Carlos y a los lobbies y corporaciones incluso antes de que diera tiempo que se pudriera Franco en su tumba.

:thumbs up:thumbs up

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Pero esque Jordi, que es España sino una región administrativo-política? desde luego no es una nación estado.

Buena parte de ella sí es nación-estado. Pero debería volver a denominarse Castilla, devolviendo al pueblo castellano la dignidad histórica que merece.

España es una manzana podrida. España es una mentira y los políticos españoles (todos, de el primeroal ultimo, desde Mariano Rajoy a Otegui pasando por Artur Más y Zapatero) son unos mentirosos, unos ladrones, y unos estafadores de escala épica.

Sería demasiado simplista no hacer diferencias entre unos y otros. El problema es el sistema. Si el sistema está podrido, poco importa la buena voluntad que algún político pudiera tener, porque cuando pasa a formar parte del engranaje, la cosa se acabó. Los únicos que pueden escapar un poco a ese sistema son los políticos a nivel muy local, los que quieren su pueblo de mil habitantes y se lo curran con los vecinos.

La clase política (toda, los colegas nacionalistas perifericas inclusive) vendio la democracia al retrasado de don Juan Carlos y a los lobbies y corporaciones incluso antes de que diera tiempo que se pudriera Franco en su tumba.

Bueno, yo no quito mérito a algunos políticos de la Transición, ceder para llegar a consensos en aquel momento no tuvo que ser fácil para ninguna parte. Lo que no puede hacerse es tener como sacrosanto y eterno un documento constituído en un momento histórico tan puntual y difícil cuando
ya han pasado más de treinta años.

Raikaswinþs
06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Buena parte de ella sí es nación-estado. Pero debería volver a denominarse Castilla, devolviendo al pueblo castellano la dignidad histórica que merece.

Trola carambola, si a tí Madrid te recuerda en algo a la esencia del pueblo Castellano, esque no tienes ni zorra de quienes son (pronto podremos hablar de "quienes fueron") los Castellanos.

Evidentemente, Madrid hace poco o ningun esfuerzo por la supervivencia de la cultura y lengua Catalana, pero si piensas que hace algo por la supervivencia de Castilla, esque no ves , como dice Lábaru, mas allá de lo que el nacionalismo periferico te cuenta. El nacionalismo central, madrileño, españolista, tiene tanto de expansionismo castellano como yo de Turco-Chipriota. España es una gran empresa, el rey y la clase política (en la que estan incluidos todos , desde el PP a ERC) , son los directivos, los ciudadanos, adivina que lugar ocupan en el organigrama?

Sería demasiado simplista no hacer diferencias entre unos y otros. El problema es el sistema. Si el sistema está podrido, poco importa la buena voluntad que algún político pudiera tener, porque cuando pasa a formar
parte del engranaje, la cosa se acabó. Los únicos que pueden escapar un poco a ese sistema son los políticos a nivel muy local, los que quieren su pueblo de mil habitantes y se lo curran con los vecinos.

Bueno, yo no quito mérito a algunos políticos de la Transición, ceder para llegar a consensos en aquel momento no tuvo que ser fácil para ninguna parte. Lo que no puede hacerse es tener como sacrosanto y eterno un documento constituído en un momento histórico tan puntual y difícil cuando
ya han pasado más de treinta años.

O0lV0P8BrPc

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Trola carambola, si a tí Madrid te recuerda en algo a la esencia del pueblo Castellano, esque no tienes ni zorra de quienes son (pronto podremos hablar de "quienes fueron") los Castellanos.

¿Dónde he dicho yo que Madrid sea la esencia del pueblo castellano? Madrid es la capital de Castilla, pero está claro que como gran urbe tiene de castellana lo mismo que Barcelona de catalana, Londres de inglesa o París de francesa. El susodicho multiculturalismo no invalida la cuestión. No la reduzcas al nivel de ciudades-estado.

Evidentemente, Madrid hace poco o ningun esfuerzo por la supervivencia de la cultura y lengua Catalana, pero si piensas que hace algo por la supervivencia de Castilla, esque no ves , como dice Lábaru, mas allá de lo que el nacionalismo periferico te cuenta. El nacionalismo central, madrileño, españolista, tiene tanto de expansionismo castellano como yo de Turco-Chipriota.

No confundas cosas. La pancastellanización es un hecho histórico, y tan establecido que el españolismo actual lo da por sentado, por lo que no se puede decir que haya una pancastellanización activa consciente. Pero haberla, la sigue habiendo, y se percibe perfectamente en el día a día de los territorios no castellanos. Aquí habláis de "lo que el nacionalismo periférico te cuenta" o "estás mediatizado" y que si tal que si cual, como si uno estuviera aislado y no percibiera por sí mismo las cosas en el simple día a día. :rolleyes:

En cuanto a si hace algo por la "supervivencia de Castilla", sólo si atañe a la doctrina del nacionalismo español, no al castellanismo, que lo convierte en algo regional. Pero es evidente que si no hiciera nada no invertiría tanto en Institutos Cervantes por el mundo, por poner un ejemplo...

antonio
06-05-2011, 08:57 PM
1898, days of your childhood? Man, you're a pretty old chap!! :D

Just in the sense of that was the last "state of the art" about Spain studied at school. When I studied Antonio Machado seemed to be a writer of yesterday, nowadays is like a Jurasic one. Youth of today are totally wasted people (Internet, modern TV, Anglosaxon culture...) as I could not ever imagine.

Don, you're pretty right about Nationalist educative distortion, but, to be fair, there were a state, reformed not ruptured from the July 18th Regime, which did not hesitate in ruling itself by a Constitution based on the good-will of Euzkadi and Catalonia. So, 35 years from that, we're in a kind of fuzzy situation where we cannot make no sure prediction on what's going on, unless the fact we're sinking toghether. :coffee:

Adolfito Bonifaz
06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
España no existe, son los padres.

Star Valley
06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Latinos and Latinas Hispánicos are Latin Speakers predominantly Spanish or Portuguese Speakers who are descended from the New World. It is more of a societal grouping then anything technical, it can vary by individual when referred to as Latino or Latina Hispanicos. There is a large history behind the definition, but now the Latin Languages are dominant all over the Western Hemisphere plus more so there are ethnical, national, blood factors that determine many references to certain people(s).

Latinos and Latinas worldwide are Latin speakers.

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Don, you're pretty right about Nationalist educative distortion,

Much talking about 'distortion' and 'manipulation', but no mention of concrete things, apparently. Looks like everything that is not as we like should be called 'distortion'... :coffee:

And even funnier, Spanish nationalism does not exist, apparently. This said by Spaniards of the forum that are constantly praising Spanish figures of the past. :roll eyes

Adolfito Bonifaz
06-05-2011, 09:33 PM
http://batiburrillo.redliberal.com/Discurso%20nacionalista.png

Esto de arriba es cutre y parece hecho con el paint, pero tiene más razón que un santo y se puede atribuir a varios usuarios de este hilo.

Comte Arnau
06-05-2011, 09:37 PM
http://lasuertesonriealosaudaces.blogspot.es/img/nacionalistas.jpg

Adolfito Bonifaz
06-05-2011, 09:55 PM
http://lasuertesonriealosaudaces.blogspot.es/img/nacionalistas.jpg

No deja de tener cierta razón, como esto...

http://hostingb.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-02/2747facha.png

Patriota
06-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Spaniards are the real hispanic. A true hispanic is spanish, white and european. Not those ugly mongrels in Latin-America.

Peyrol
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Latino, an ancient inhabitant of Lazio / Latio region, central Italy.

http://www.lebellezzeditalia.it/lazio/lazio_gif/c_lazio.gif

Peyrol
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Latins

http://www.italystl.com/italianclub/rondine/commodus.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rA15I8y2lSU/SthacQy8XOI/AAAAAAAADW8/WVWhlNoli-k/s400/Busto+di+Scipione+detto+l%27Africano.jpg

Latinos

http://www.freedomarchives.org/La_Lucha_Continua/images/pancho_villa.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u3E9gMZsEqU/SexuBXln8WI/AAAAAAAAASE/x7VpcTTC_hg/s400/indios1.jpg

Spanish language derives from latin, so...it's only a linguistic term.

Sikeliot
06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry but I don't consider this Latin in ANY way

http://www.josh-fernandez.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MexicanMan__MEX.jpg

Hess
06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.nrdly.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/00/03/93/29/3932998/files//2011/04/Haters-Gonna-Hate-10.jpg

Alvarado
06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Spaniards are the real hispanic. A true hispanic is spanish, white and european. Not those ugly mongrels in Latin-America.

Do you consider Franco "white"?

Nurzat
06-13-2011, 10:46 PM
you can't change its meaning, it's official, i mean in census data and stuff even in the US... hispano and latino mean anything what's south from RIO GRANDE hahahahhaahaha. and those have anyway A LOT of spanish and italian blood

Sikeliot
06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
you can't change its meaning, it's official, i mean in census data and stuff even in the US... hispano and latino mean anything what's south from RIO GRANDE hahahahhaahaha. and those have anyway A LOT of spanish and italian blood

But to me the fact that they look more like mixed Filipinos than Latin Europeans, I can't see them as Latin.

Patriota
06-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Do you consider Franco "white"?
Yes.

Peyrol
06-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Americans, in their usual ignorance about historical and linguistics facts, using the name of an ancient and great population that has dominated the world from centuries (and from which language derives about 50% of modern English :laugh:) to indicate the Indios and the mestizos of Mexico.

http://www.indire.it/immagini/immag/tstsga/ts953v3-46.jpg

Peyrol
06-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Italians?

Santo Padre, i don't know that we colonize South America and we built a vicereame :confused:

Nurzat
06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
spanish of europe are not latins anyway... no one is latin anymore, maybe only some people of lazio. rome was only a city, it influenced the world ONLY culturally, not genetically

Comte Arnau
06-13-2011, 10:55 PM
No deja de tener cierta razón, como esto...

http://hostingb.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-02/2747facha.png

Lol. Manolo el del bombo no es un facha, es tan sólo un gilipollas. Porque hay que serlo pa arruinarse la vida de esa manera.

Latinos

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u3E9gMZsEqU/SexuBXln8WI/AAAAAAAAASE/x7VpcTTC_hg/s400/indios1.jpg

I seriously doubt that Amazonian can speak either Portuguese/Spanish or lives in a Ibero-American urban setting.

Alvarado
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes.

Many people would disagree with you.

Hess
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Its just a stupid word popularized by ignorant Americans. I Don't get why everyone cares so much about what Americans think

Nurzat
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
no, you're wrong, latin americans called themselves latinos and hispanos in the first place and it's their pride

Ibericus
06-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I seriously doubt that Amazonian can speak either Portuguese/Spanish or lives in a Ibero-American urban setting.
But according to the US she would be 100% spanish, wether it sounds super-dumb to us europeans.

Sikeliot
06-13-2011, 11:00 PM
But according to the US she would be 100% spanish, wether it sounds super-dumb to us europeans.

In the US anyone from Latin America is seen as "Spanish" even when they're pure Amerindian looking, or black as coal. I've heard people call David Ortiz, the baseball player, "Spanish" before "black" and have you seen him? :eek:

Nurzat
06-13-2011, 11:02 PM
well you call obama american, not african :) so this way you call a black latino by the name of hispano or latino, not african

Sikeliot
06-13-2011, 11:05 PM
To me, black is black. Just because a black person speaks Spanish and has the last name Rodriguez, Ortiz, or Lopez doesn't make them any less black than any old Shaniqua or LaTanya from the Bronx.

Peyrol
06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
no, you're wrong, latin americans called themselves latinos and hispanos in the first place and it's their pride

Yes, great "pride" :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Noche_Triste

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Pizarro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernán_Cortés

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastián_de_Belalcázar

Ibericus
06-13-2011, 11:10 PM
To me, black is black. Just because a black person speaks Spanish and has the last name Rodriguez, Ortiz, or Lopez doesn't make them any less black than any old Shaniqua or LaTanya from the Bronx.
This Cuban is probably more African than any nigger in the US, yet he is considered 100% Spanish in the USA :

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/dynamic/00598/profile_598124s.jpg

Sikeliot
06-13-2011, 11:12 PM
This Cuban is probably more African than any nigger in the US, yet he is considered 100% Spanish in the USA :

He would be. Well maybe not until someone knew he was Cuban.. THEN he becomes "Spanish".

Nurzat
06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
whites are on free fall :) will become a minority even in europe in a couple of centuries so it won't matter anymore, folks

Peyrol
06-13-2011, 11:16 PM

He has grey eyes :laugh::laugh:

Sikeliot
06-13-2011, 11:16 PM
They aren't gray eyes, they're cataracts. ;)

billErobreren
06-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Latin=Italians(the real Romans), meaning European, meaning not separate from us. Hows is Julius Ceasar related to George Lopez? It's an idiotic term dunno with its missuses bother me so damn much, but a it does(I guess, I start to think how I would feel if an eskimo called itself a Dane) but please, Let's not piss on the memory of these once glorious EUROPEAN people by pilling them up with Rigoberta Menchu or some shit.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/Ixchel3300/RigobertaMenchu.gif

Comte Arnau
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Latin America is this: :D

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9144/000003mv3.jpg

antonio
06-14-2011, 10:56 PM

Unfortunatelly he lives in Spain from five years. First came his parents and then family reunification happened. That's the Socialists (and Popular) way. :D

Don
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Hey, they are really Hispanics! And closer to latio in consequence... look at this guy:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ms_ATMCR9jA/TNrOBPx-4-I/AAAAAAAAD5g/NIUGa2CUikA/s1600/image002.jpg

http://www.elperiodicodetlaxcala.com.mx/fotosdenotas/9TRECE-2.jpg

WTF?!?!

http://columnas.ejecentral.com.mx/placeres/files/2011/03/carnaval1.jpg

Hey! These amerindians deceived me! Trying again to pass as Spaniards.http://www.riveros.com.mx/Portal/Portals/0/Tours/Special_Routes/Carnival/Carnaval_Huejotzingo_Masks.jpg

From Carnaval de Tlaxcala, a tribe that allied with the Conquistadores Españoles in the conquest of Aztec Empire.

nZEMFiEGR4A

antonio
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
WTF, Amerindians laughing at us by Laza carnival-related masks? That's the most bizarre thing Ive faced today. :D

Comte Arnau
06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
WTF, Amerindians laughing at us by Laza carnival-related masks? That's the most bizarre thing Ive faced today. :D

Well, as if Spain didn't celebrate moros y cristianos... ;)

antonio
06-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, as if Spain didn't celebrate moros y cristianos... ;)

XIXth kitsch. :embarrassed

Alvarado
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM

iIW99L3IO3w

Comte Arnau
06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
iIW99L3IO3w

Lol. A fight of Incas vs Romans in the Andes would be worth a film. And if Evo's the director, epic fantasy 100%.

Ibericus
06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
http://columnas.ejecentral.com.mx/placeres/files/2011/03/carnaval1.jpg
It's actually cool.

TheDog
10-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Latinos and Latinas Hispánicos are Latin Speakers predominantly Spanish or Portuguese Speakers who are descended from the New World. It is more of a societal grouping then anything technical, it can vary by individual when referred to as Latino or Latina Hispanicos. There is a large history behind the definition, but now the Latin Languages are dominant all over the Western Hemisphere plus more so there are ethnical, national, blood factors that determine many references to certain people(s).

Latinos and Latinas worldwide are Latin speakers.

Totally agree. Latins are europeans (spaniards, italians, portuguese, romanians, frenchs) and Latinamericans are (brazilians, mexicans, chileans, argentinians)...why? cause they have a blood link.

an0nymous
10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Totally agree. Latins are europeans (spaniards, italians, portuguese, romanians, frenchs) and Latinamericans are (brazilians, mexicans, chileans, argentinians)...why? cause they have a blood link.

I believe latino encompasses europeans and latin americans
because they all speak a latin language

Magister Eckhart
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM

I rather think that's the heart of the debate: it is merely a linguistic term, or is it also cultural? Clearly, sudacas are not a united ethnicity or race, but comprise of many ethnicities and several racial mixes. Latino seems, to me at least, to only accurately describe a minority of sudacas, namely those of majority European heritage and observing European cultural mores.

TheDog
10-28-2011, 02:55 PM

They share it that among other things, we must cast out of our sight genetic issue.

Dombra
02-04-2013, 10:33 PM
People from Latin America or a Latin European as long as you dont speak of them together.

Qemist
02-04-2013, 10:51 PM

So why aren't French and Italians included?

ozzieman
02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Spanish people or people descending from Spanish people.

Iloko
10-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Can both be linguistic & racial IMO

StonyArabia
10-22-2018, 04:31 AM
Someone who is influenced by the Hispanic civilization of Spain which was transfused to the various people of North, Central and South America

Kriptc06
10-22-2018, 05:01 AM
It can mean a load of things.

I've learned in school that latins where people the inhabited the surroundings of Rome, long before the empire.
https://pages.uoregon.edu/klio/maps/kelly/EmpireMap2.jpg

In a more modern sense it can be speakers of neo-latin languages: French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, et cetera in general *world wide*

It could also be "latin europeans" only, speakers of the above mentioned languages in Europe only.

And finally Latino as in Latin American, latino-americano, speakers of romance languages to the south of the United States, sometimes including and sometimes excluding hatians.

For Latin-Americans it's only a linguistic term, we are too broad to ship in a single package.

Incal
10-22-2018, 05:34 AM
Context. Nowadays its more spread use is to refer to Latin Americans.

Sent from my PRO 7 using Tapatalk

Dragoon
10-22-2018, 07:17 AM
Latino - Latin origins in the Americas (strangely enough Quebec/France is excluded sometimes).

Latinic- Latin people (in Europe including Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian and Romanian); roughly the same as Romance people