PDA

View Full Version : How to make friends? I need your advice.

Roy
03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Well currently the number of people that I'd consider my friends in real life is 0. What should I do?

People take certain things for granted, but for me some mundane, simple joys / desires / relationships in my life are pipe dreams.

Nazarene
03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Subscribed cause this is relatable xD

War Chef
03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Be more smiley, approachable. (even if its fake)
Engage in small talk. (the more interesting the better, but even "hows the weather?" is better than nothing).

I struggle with all of those but as soon as I changed it I had more friends. I'm still not perferct.

Roy
03-18-2019, 11:08 AM
Be more smiley, approachable. (even if its fake)
Engage in small talk. (the more interesting the better, but even "hows the weather?" is better than nothing).

I struggle with all of those but as soon as I changed it I had more friends. I'm still not perferct.

I do all these things, I also treat with snacks (I know it's basic), ask how is their mood like, and invite for a beer or for some outing (sadly, usually it is to no avail). I also ask for their hobbies and I continue this sort of exhange even if they're not very interesting.

leonj
03-18-2019, 11:09 AM
I am also waiting for some advice

War Chef
03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
I do all these things, I also treat with snacks (I know it's basic), ask how is their mood like, and invite for a beer or for some outing.

I seen your photos you don't really smile much, even if its fake you should do it (everyone is starting to fake it now)......

Anyway, good luck!

rajputprincess
03-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Haha just join them be more social make bad jokes laugh make your presents very obvious get attention .

Sent from my ZUK Z2132 using Tapatalk

Mortimer
03-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Find a hobby you like which is shared with other people. Like doing team sports in a sports club. Or to go to dance lessons or discussion group. There you can find friends who share similar interests.

Roy
03-18-2019, 11:12 AM
I seen your photos you don't really smile much, even if its fake you should do it (everyone is starting to fake it now)......

Anyway, good luck!

I tend to smile when people make me laugh. Otherwise it rarely makes sense. It's not a must here anyway. This is not the USA or UK where people give and expect fake smiles everywhere. And if you don't welcome them with it they read it as being unhappy, unfriendly or even ill-intentioned.

Sp_loa
03-19-2019, 08:07 PM
I understand what you say, I didn't have any friends for years but then things started changing after I understood few basic things.
My advice:

1. Be your own- as long as you are a good person that treats others well you need to stay loyal to yourself. Don't force yourself to like something because you want to find new friends. People like, you with similar interests, will come across you. You just need to recognize the right people and be with them. You might Join circles related to your hobbies and meet there people like you.

2. Open yourself to new things-
I was very nerdish kid, and not many people liked me for it. All I could talk about was match and science haha (thinking about it now it's like I had Asperger's Syndrome). One Amazing classmate did "psychological work" with me and opened me to new fields and topics of conversations. You also need to be able to fit in conversations about many things. I am sure you are an intelligent thinking person, just flow with any conversation and see what you have to say about it.

3. Work on yourself to be an optimistic person- What killed all of my friendships last year was my depression. I was completely unapproachable, busy with hating my self and walking with my head down covered with a hood. People saw I was emotionally unstable thus they didn't come near me. You first need to be in alignment with yourself before you can develop connections with other people.

4. Don't be shy- When you find someone nice, that you think is similar to you - don't wait for them approaching you. Start a conversation and if you are meant to be friends it will work. Also don't wait for your friends initiating going out- You can also initiate going to a restaurant, a bar, a movie or even a party at your place.

5. Don't be obsessive over it- let it go and it will come on it's own in the right time. For now try to join some circles, maybe sport circe or anything similar, it always helps.

From a personal perspective- the first time I developed new friendships was 2 years ago. Me and one classmate planned to go to the beach and we created a whatsapp group. She ended up adding another friend, that added another friend. We ended up 8 people that kept meeting later again and again and again, almost every week.

Second time I met new friends was when I joined a Robotics group. I'm a nerd and I found there more people like me , few of us slowly became a sub-group and we are now very good friends. Again, I wasn't waiting for someone approaching me, the new boy. I actively initiated conversations and "rudely" joined others conversations (not personal ones, you need to know when it's fine to join a conversation and when it's not).

Again, I was a very shy person once, but now I initiate conversations with new people, I'm very friendly and approachable, very warm person and I have more friends than ever.
If I can, then you too! Again, if you need anything, someone to talk to or some pieces of advice, you can always send me a Private message. I'll be more than glad to help (:

Moje ime
03-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Join a club based on your interests.

Rouxinol
03-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Most people enjoy people who tell idiotic jokes and usually the jester of the group is the one who has the most friends. People like someone who cheers them up and makes them laugh. Since I'm not any of that I don't have many friends and I've never made friends easily. I couldn't care less though.

Roy
03-19-2019, 08:31 PM
I understand what you say, I didn't have any friends for years but then things started changing after I understood few basic things.
My advice:

1. Be your own- as long as you are a good person that treats others well you need to stay loyal to yourself. Don't force yourself to like something because you want to find new friends. People like, you with similar interests, will come across you. You just need to recognize the right people and be with them. You might Join circles related to your hobbies and meet there people like you.

2. Open yourself to new things-
I was very nerdish kid, and not many people liked me for it. All I could talk about was match and science haha (thinking about it now it's like I had Asperger's Syndrome). One Amazing classmate did "psychological work" with me and opened me to new fields and topics of conversations. You also need to be able to fit in conversations about many things. I am sure you are an intelligent thinking person, just flow with any conversation and see what you have to say about it.

3. Work on yourself to be an optimistic person- What killed all of my friendships last year was my depression. I was completely unapproachable, busy with hating my self and walking with my head down covered with a hood. People saw I was emotionally unstable thus they didn't come near me. You first need to be in alignment with yourself before you can develop connections with other people.

4. Don't be shy- When you find someone nice, that you think is similar to you - don't wait for them approaching you. Start a conversation and if you are meant to be friends it will work. Also don't wait for your friends initiating going out- You can also initiate going to a restaurant, a bar, a movie or even a party at your place.

5. Don't be obsessive over it- let it go and it will come on it's own in the right time. For now try to join some circles, maybe sport circe or anything similar, it always helps.

From a personal perspective- the first time I developed new friendships was 2 years ago. Me and one classmate planned to go to the beach and we created a whatsapp group. She ended up adding another friend, that added another friend. We ended up 8 people that kept meeting later again and again and again, almost every week.

Second time I met new friends was when I joined a Robotics group. I'm a nerd and I found there more people like me , few of us slowly became a sub-group and we are now very good friends. Again, I wasn't waiting for someone approaching me, the new boy. I actively initiated conversations and "rudely" joined others conversations (not personal ones, you need to know when it's fine to join a conversation and when it's not).

Again, I was a very shy person once, but now I initiate conversations with new people, I'm very friendly and approachable, very warm person and I have more friends than ever.
If I can, then you too! Again, if you need anything, someone to talk to or some pieces of advice, you can always send me a Private message. I'll be more than glad to help (:

Well I suffer from clinical depression so I guess it hurts it more. But the more friend-less I am the more it bothers me the more suffer even though I've never been a very socializing person.

I'll try to use some of your suggestions.

Sp_loa
03-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Well I suffer from clinical depression so I guess it hurts it more. But the more friend-less I am the more it bothers me the more suffer even though I've never been a very socializing person.

I wasn't very socializing person either. You need to find the right people, and gain confidence. You need to do some psychological work with yourself, figure out what are the problems and think how to solve them. If you need anything contact me.